Help with PAT Angle Ranking!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chicago_predental

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So my DAT is in a few weeks, but I am still struggling with angle ranking on DAT Bootcamp PAT generators. Ive tried the rapid eye technique and it works sometimes, but I was wondering what techniques you all have used that gave you consistent results? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

DAT Bootcamp PAT generator for angle ranking is super frustrating. However, you just have to keep at it. I haven't taken the DAT yet (I'm taking it this Friday), but from what I have heard, Bootcamp's angle ranking is a lot harder than the real DAT. One strategy that I found helpful besides the rapid eye technique is looking at the vertices of the angles. This really helped me improve my score (I timed myself for 15 minutes and typically got 60-65% percent correctly, however, by looking at vertices my scores jumped to 70-80% correctly. I should also note that I usually get between 10-15 correct on the first 15. This is important to consider because you expend a lot of energy/strain your eyes by doing 15 minutes of practice a day for angle ranking when on the real test you only have 15 problems). I hope that helps, and best of luck to you! :thumbup:

Practice exams for PAT I would get ~2/15 right in the angle section. I decided to start with angle ranking first and go from there. I would occasionally use the generators but I mostly focused on doing well in the other sections of the PAT. The real DAT may have been easier but I would not know because to me my angles looked blurry. This was not the case the first time I took the test so I guess each test might be different.

Try to imagine if one angle could fit inside the other angle, that usually helped me. Also if they are all close to 90 degrees, try to see if they are just over or just under a right angle, that's usually pretty easy to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I basically used 3 techniques: Ski slope, Laptop, and Angle eating. I would basically cycle between the strategies. If I narrowed it down to 2 options, I would try all 3 strategies really quickly.

Ski Slope: This one actually was one of my favorites. Just place yourself on one of the sides of the angle and pretend you are skiing down it. If you are dealing with acute angles, the scarier would mean the bigger the angle. If you are dealing with obtuse angles, the scarier would be the smaller angle

Laptop: Take this literally and just imagine you are watching Netflix. Which angle would best allow you to see the screen?

Angle eating: Figure out whether one angle can fit inside the other. In my opinion, this worked best for acute small angles.

Reactions: 1 user
I basically used 3 techniques: Ski slope, Laptop, and Angle eating. I would basically cycle between the strategies. If I narrowed it down to 2 options, I would try all 3 strategies really quickly.

Ski Slope: This one actually was one of my favorites. Just place yourself on one of the sides of the angle and pretend you are skiing down it. If you are dealing with acute angles, the scarier would mean the bigger the angle. If you are dealing with obtuse angles, the scarier would be the smaller angle

Laptop: Take this literally and just imagine you are watching Netflix. Which angle would best allow you to see the screen?

Angle eating: Figure out whether one angle can fit inside the other. In my opinion, this worked best for acute small angles.
Huh, I haven't heard these strategies. I gotta try them out when I study angle ranking again. Thanks for this info!

Reactions: 1 user