Help with Pcat Verbal and RC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hombe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for this website because he has given me a load full of answers. Now for the pcats, I was wondering whats the beside for Verbal and Reading Comp. Those are my two worse subjects. taken it before I received 38 on Verbal and 10 on RC. any help would be much appreciated. Any tips on doing the RC would help too.

Members don't see this ad.

I used "Examkrackers MCAT Verbal Reasoning & Mathematical Techniques" to prepare for the RC section before taking the PCAT a second time. It explains a bunch of little techniques that you can start applying immediately. I was too lazy to practice reading and completing passages with other material, but this book worked really well for me. My RC score shot up almost 50 points because of it.

Oh, and you can download this book for free if you dig through the Internet.

I used "Examkrackers MCAT Verbal Reasoning & Mathematical Techniques" to prepare for the RC section before taking the PCAT a second time. It explains a bunch of little techniques that you can start applying immediately. I was too lazy to practice reading and completing passages with other material, but this book worked really well for me. My RC score shot up almost 50 points because of it.

Oh, and you can download this book for free if you dig through the Internet.

Yeah, you have to do some digging to find it; However, I found it and used it frequently!

it wasn't hidden very well. haha. You can also go to Borders, if you can't find it.

Side question: How does the practice GRE verbal and reading comp compare to the PCAT? anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
it wasn't hidden very well. haha. You can also go to Borders, if you can't find it.

Side question: How does the practice GRE verbal and reading comp compare to the PCAT? anyone know?

I don't think that there are many similarities on the verbal section, personally. However, using some sort of practice guide is better than nothing.

Would you say the SAT verbal and reading sections would probably be a better fit then GRE books for the English part? It seems as if the GRE books are more harder in level than the pcat.

I don't think that there are many similarities on the verbal section, personally. However, using some sort of practice guide is better than nothing.

This is all personal preference, however ...

I think that the SAT books were more like those that you see on the PCAT. The GRE word list is helpful and will surely build your vocabulary; However, the words are at a level higher than what is necessary for the PCAT.

I took the GRE years ago (2003) and I memorized prefixes, suffixes, word roots, all sorts of stuff and scored in the mid-600s. (Not amazing, but I was happy since I was scoring 500 on the practice exams.) Honestly, I would have been furious if I had repeated such effort for the PCAT since I made a marginal effort towards that section and scored 92 on the Verbal section of the PCAT. (Of course, some of my score could have been carry over from my previous studies, but I digress ... )

High 90s on both verbal and comprehension. My secret? A lifetime of proper grammar, reading, and my word-a-day calendar. Seriously, reading habits are formed at early childhood and no amount of vocab. cramming is going to make up for this. It takes a true interest in the English language, and not this drive-by rape of diction that I see happening nowadays.

However, for ESL I definitely feel for you because the English language is so convoluted. In this case, I say just try the best you can and know you've done well on the sections that matter (math, sciences).

This is all personal preference, however ...

I think that the SAT books were more like those that you see on the PCAT. The GRE word list is helpful and will surely build your vocabulary; However, the words are at a level higher than what is necessary for the PCAT.

I took the GRE years ago (2003) and I memorized prefixes, suffixes, word roots, all sorts of stuff and scored in the mid-600s. (Not amazing, but I was happy since I was scoring 500 on the practice exams.) Honestly, I would have been furious if I had repeated such effort for the PCAT since I made a marginal effort towards that section and scored 92 on the Verbal section of the PCAT. (Of course, some of my score could have been carry over from my previous studies, but I digress ... )

For most people six years of just living will make a big difference in verbal at least. As you get older your vocabulary tends to increase.

Studying prefixes, suffixes and root words will help some, as will various test taking strategies. Best way to increase verbal though is probably just to read a lot - leisure reading is fine.