Help with personal statement need help please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Follow your dreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently applying for my Masters program in Anatomy. The reason I am going that route is because I need to boost my science GPA. Is it wise for me to include that bit of information in my personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

1) This won't boost your undergraduate science GPA
2) A masters generally isn't seen as a replacement for a bad undergrad GPA
3) No, do not mention this in your personal statement. Are you trying to get auto rejected?
4) If you're goal is med school do a post-bacc or Science Masters Program offered through a medical school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
1) This won't boost your undergraduate science GPA
2) A masters generally isn't seen as a replacement for a bad undergrad GPA
3) No, do not mention this in your personal statement. Are you trying to get auto rejected?
4) If you're goal is med school do a post-bacc or Science Masters Program offered through a medical school.

Thanks for the info. This master's program is offered through a medical school and they told me that this program would boost my science gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. This master's program is offered through a medical school and they told me that this program would boost my science gpa.

Okay, so it is a special masters program? If that's the case stick with it, but still don't mention your "true" intent. Write a statement of intent that demonstrates a "sincere" interest in their program.

I don't think you have to include that in your PS but if it helps you explain "why medicine" I think a sentence or two would be fine.

Okay, so it is a special masters program? If that's the case stick with it, but still don't mention your "true" intent. Write a statement of intent that demonstrates a "sincere" interest in their program.

Gotcha, thanks alot!!

Generally speaking, Master's degrees (other than SMP's) do not offset a weak undergrad performance.
If the medical school affiliated with this program has assured you that a strong performance will help, you should assume that the help will be confined to this particular school or schools with established linkages to this program. It is not likely to help at other MD schools.

Generally speaking, Master's degrees (other than SMP's) do not offset a weak undergrad performance.
If the medical school affiliated with this program has assured you that a strong performance will help, you should assume that the help will be confined to this particular school or schools with established linkages to this program. It is not likely to help at other MD schools.
Thanks for the information!

Reactions: 1 user