This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tyghjuikjhgre

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So currently I'm sitting on four waitlists (one high priority the others unranked) and no acceptances. I applied to around 11 schools this cycle. Seeing as it is already March, I was wondering if I should begin preparing for reapplication. But I'm not sure if I should reapply this cycle or the next.

Some background information:
currently a senior in college
GPA: 3.74 (was 3.7 when I applied, upwards trend)
sGPA: 3.62
MCAT: 517 (even split first attempt)

Activities of AMCAS this cycle:
270 community service volunteer (have around 100 more now)
600 of research (wet lab) (will have around 200 more by June) but no publications
100 physician shadowing (primary care, pediatrician, gastroenterologist, ophthalmologist, anesthesiologist)
550 working in a physician office
150 hospital volunteering (have around 50 more now)
two leadership positions
two hobby activities

If I'm applying again this June here's what I can add:
Teaching yoga at middle schools (community service)
research poster presentation
clinical research assistant (starting in April though)

So if the waitlists don't work out, should I plan for reapplying this cycle or the next? I think the weakest part of my applications are my GPA (but I don't think enrolling in a post-Bac program is that great of an idea since my GPA isn't too too low), lack of publications and obviously my interviewing skills (honestly I was just too nervous and I have been steadily working and improving on that).

Sorry for the long post and any feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't enroll in a post-bacc. As long as your activities for your gap year are on your new AMCAS, I don't think waiting a cycle is necessary. Definitely start preparing for the worst NOW though, including beginning to reassess and rewrite essays.

I know how you feel, so hang in there- I was on 3 waitlists this time last cycle and was pulled off of one late summer. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

So if the waitlists don't work out, should I plan for reapplying this cycle or the next? I think the weakest part of my applications are my GPA (but I don't think enrolling in a post-Bac program is that great of an idea since my GPA isn't too too low), lack of publications and obviously my interviewing skills (honestly I was just too nervous and I have been steadily working and improving on that).

Sorry for the long post and any feedback is appreciated!

Your odds of getting off a waitlist are good, especially in the first half of May.

If that doesn't work out, you need to (1) apply to more schools next year, (2) proactively work on your interview skills, and (3) write a new PS that is thoroughly vetted by outside reviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also would recommend interview coaching/practice interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Your odds of getting off a waitlist are good, especially in the first half of May.

If that doesn't work out, you need to (1) apply to more schools next year, (2) proactively work on your interview skills, and (3) write a new PS that is thoroughly vetted by outside reviews.

and @aymar

I do plan on re-writing it, however, should it be a completely new PS? Since most of the events mentioned in the PS still hold true. I was thinking of maybe incorporating in one or two completely new paragraphs (with events from this year) and simply rewriting the rest instead of thinking of new stories/events.

And thanks for the reply!

and @aymar

I do plan on re-writing it, however, should it be a completely new PS? Since most of the events mentioned in the PS still hold true. I was thinking of maybe incorporating in one or two completely new paragraphs (with events from this year) and simply rewriting the rest instead of thinking of new stories/events.

And thanks for the reply!
It doesn't have to be completely new, but make sure to have multiple eyeballs go over it.

As an aside, ALL applicants should e working on Plan B until the get that accept email in their inbox.

I consider you competitive for the following:
Wash U
U Chicago
NYU
U Penn
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Northwestern
Case
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
JHU
BU
U AZ (if you're from CA or a bordering state)
U VM
Ohio State
Miami
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Emory
USC/Keck
Mayo
Rochester
Dartmouth
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Nova MD
CaliU Med
Because you're a reapplicant, maybe a DO school or two.

I do plan on re-writing it, however, should it be a completely new PS?

It depends on the quality of the first one, which is unknown to me. Even a good PS should undergo some revision between cycles. One of the most significant mistakes I see made in reapplicants is failure to thoroughly revisit the elements of a once-failed application. We all know the definition of insanity.

Reactions: 1 users
It doesn't have to be completely new, but make sure to have multiple eyeballs go over it.

I consider you competitive for the following:
Wash U
U Chicago
NYU
U Penn
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Northwestern
Case
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
JHU
BU
U AZ (if you're from CA or a bordering state)
U VM
Ohio State
Miami
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Emory
USC/Keck
Mayo
Rochester
Dartmouth
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Nova MD
CaliU Med
Because you're a reapplicant, maybe a DO school or two.

For Sinai, UVM, Keck, Tufts, Pitt and Hofstra, I've actually already applied to these schools this cycle. I got an interview and waitlisted by Keck and UVM. Would it be a good idea to reapply to these same schools in this upcoming cycle? And I am a CA resident.

Last edited:
For Sinai, UVM, Keck, Tufts, Pitt and Hofstra, I've actually already applied to these schools this cycle. I got an interview and waitlisted by Keck and UVM. Would it be a good idea to reapply to these same schools in this upcoming cycle? And I am a CA resident.
You'll need to show improvement, because they'll ask you "what's different this time around?"

You'll need to show improvement, because they'll ask you "what's different this time around?"
Okay thank you! So would you recommend applying June 2018? My main worry is that there is not much change in my application (I have three new activities since I last applied and more hours for most current activities) so I actually don't have that much physical evidence of improvement. But I do think I that I have improved my application since last year and I feel like I can write about how I improved.

You are sitting on four waitlists, that means you're probably not that great at interviewing. I would definitely hire an interview coach and practice day in and day out. Do tons of mock interview.

You are sitting on four waitlists, that means you're probably not that great at interviewing.
that's always possible, but not necessarily true. too many variables to control for, such as the interviews:seats ratio of that particular school/the acceptance habits of that school. Plenty of schools waitlist a significant chunk of their matriculating class. My school, for example, never has more offers out than the number of seats available. Someone has to drop their seat before another acceptance is made

now if someone is sitting on 4 post-II rejections, that means they're probably not that great at interviewing

Reactions: 1 user
Okay thank you! So would you recommend applying June 2018? My main worry is that there is not much change in my application (I have three new activities since I last applied and more hours for most current activities) so I actually don't have that much physical evidence of improvement. But I do think I that I have improved my application since last year and I feel like I can write about how I improved.
*sigh* where is my pal @gonnif?

You are sitting on four waitlists, that means you're probably not that great at interviewing. I would definitely hire an interview coach and practice day in and day out. Do tons of mock interview.
I know and I definitely am working on my interviewing skills in preparation for the next cycle!