MD Help with school list please (514 MCAT, 3.84cGPA, 3.70sGPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garrusthegreat

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, first time poster and I'd appreciate any help on identifying which schools I would be competitive for! My application is still having my grades verified, but I received my MCAT score this morning and am trying to develop a list of schools so that I can pre-write my secondaries.

MCAT: I just got my (first) test score this morning: 514 (130/126/126/132). I'm a bit concerned about the 126 on my bio section, as it seems to be near the bottom of the accepted range on some of my top schools (UCI, USC, UCR, etc.)

Background: I'm a California resident who majored in psych at UC Berkeley. I spent 3 years at a CC and transferred as a junior. The only science prerequisite I took at my CC was first semester bio.

EC's: I have 250+ clinical volunteer hours, 400-500 hours of undergraduate research for a neuroscience lab on campus, 150 hours shadowing an orthopedic surgeon, spent 2 semesters tutoring biology for an old instructor's class (free of charge). I wish I had more nonclinical volunteers to boast, but I've also worked about 4000 hours in food service jobs for those 4 years to cut down on costs and make ends meet.

Most of the CA schools are my top choice, but I know I need to develop a comprehensive list of OOS schools to add on. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but will that 126 Bio score discount me from my UC schools?

Thanks for taking the time to help a fellow premed!

Members don't see this ad.

Since you are from CA you will need to apply to some OOS schools. Consider all these:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Einstein
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Cincinnati
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Eastern Virginia

Hi everyone, I'm bumping because I'm looking for opinions on how my lack of non-clinical volunteering may impact my chance of admissions. Any additional advice on schools and such is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also consider a couple top tiers too! You never know... your stats may be below or average there, but stats are not the WHOLE picture :).

The "you never know" mentality is just a means to another donation to the school, if one is reaching too high. Ditto "for ****s and giggles" which people have actually posted here as a rationale for applying to WashU with an MCAT of 508, "or "nothing ventured..."
OP, I suggest:

UCF (maybe)
Duke (maybe)
U Cincy
U VM
Pitt
Mayo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
USC/Keck
Tufts
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Your state school(s).
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Thank you guys for your input on school choices! I was particularly in need for OOS schools (CA resident), and you guys gave me a great list of schools to research and consider. At this point, I've completed my secondaries for many of the schools listed and am adding more as I write their essays.