This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueBalloon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning on applying this cycle and need some help finalizing my school list.
  • Asian female, AZ resident
  • Undergrad: U of AZ
  • Degrees: BA Biochemistry, BS Molecular & Cellular Biology (Slightly non-trad applicant, in the sense that I graduated in 3 years. Took a gap year after graduating.)
  • sGPA: 3.36 | cGPA: 3.49
  • MCAT: 502 -> 510
  • Clinical Experience:
    • ~300 hours as an Ortho/Neuro and PACU volunteer. A lot of significant patient interaction. Also helped nurses vital patients and transported patients after surgery recovery.
    • ~400 hours employed as a scribe for a Family Practice physician. This is at a clinic for underserved communities. My doctor did a fellowship in Dermatology, and I observed a lot of interesting minor skin procedures.
    • ~150 hours employed as a constant observer at a hospital. I looked after patients experiencing dementia or suicidal ideation.
    • (I will be continuing my job as a scribe and constant observer throughout the year, so the hour number is projected to be higher.)
  • Non-clinical volunteer hours:
    • ~100 hours as a counselor. I worked at a center that focused on the mental health of families after they lost a loved one. I really enjoyed this experience. It helped me overcome my fear/awkwardness of talking about taboo and uncomfortable topics.
  • Research:
    • ~700 hours as a research assistant at an immunobiology lab.
    • First author of a published paper.
  • Presented my research project at my department's poster fair and won an honorable mention award.
  • Shadowing:
    • 24 hours shadowing a pathologist, general surgeon, and colorectal surgeon.
    • Should I try to shadow a family practice doctor, since shadowing that specialty is often recommended? I thought it would be redundant, since I'm a scribe for a family practice doctor already.
On the GPA-MCAT grid, it seems that applicants with my GPA and MCAT have a 52% chance of acceptance. I understand that my stats are far from stellar, particularly my GPA because I didn't manage my time between research lab and classes well. In hindsight, classes should always have come first. Also, my grandma's health was declining so I often flew to visit her during the semesters. As a result, I don't think I can apply broadly to MD schools. I limited my school list based on my stats, but I'm open to all recommendations!

MD:
  • U of AZ - Tucson
  • U of AZ - Phoenix
  • Carle Illinois College of Medicine
  • TCU & UNTHSC
  • Kaiser Permanente
  • Albany Medical College
  • Quinnipac
  • NY Medical College
  • Seton Hall
  • NSU Florida
  • Oakland Beaumont
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Loyola
  • Central Michigan
  • George Washington
  • Colorado Denver
  • Wake Forest
  • Rush
  • Tulane
  • Cooper Medical School of Rowan U
  • Tufts
  • U of Toledo
  • Wayne State
  • U of Neva - Reno
DO:
  • ATSU-SOMA
  • AZCOM
  • LECOM - Seton Hill, Erie, Bradenton
  • CUSOM
  • PNWU-COM
  • UIWSOM
  • UNTHSC/TCOM
  • RowanSOM
  • MSUCOM
  • COMP-NW
  • OU-HCOM
I will probably add more MD schools as I work through the summer. Thank you again for your time and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all DO schools. OU-HCOM accepts mainly Ohio residents and MSUCOM also has a strong instate bias. Cooper, Toledo, U Nevada and Central Michigan accept very few non residents with your stats. You could add these MD schools:
Vermont
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton