Help with school list (reapplicant, SMP grad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sss1219

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
uGPA: 3.2/3.0
MPH GPA: 3.67
SMP GPA: 3.7
MCAT: 511-513 confidence band (85%) - 127 Chem, 130 CARS, 129 Bio, 125 psych

- FL resident
- 1000+ hours in research (4 labs throughout undergrad and grad school with 2 publications still in the works but several poster presentations)
- 1000+ hours clinical/shadowing (multiple shadowing positions, worked as an internal med scribe [so below])
- 500 hrs+ nonclinical volunteering (2 years of health/wellness mentoring for underprivileged middle schoolers, 3 years of tutoring for kids living in assisted living, dispersed LGBT awareness work in undergrad and grad)
- 500 hrs+ clinical volunteering [does this overlap with shadowing?] (medical internship at hospital while an undergrad which required working on wards, worked with female sex workers on risky sexual practice awareness in Thailand as part as my MPH thesis, 3 medical aid trips [basic scribing < teaching and infrastructure work so may actually count as nonmedical?])
- 1000+ hours of work experience (part time self-employed piano teacher for 7 years, >1000 hours worked as a scribe at Stanford Hospital last year)
- Lots of letters of recs (science and nonscience letters from undergrad, professor + PI letters from MPH, committee letter from SMP)

Don't know if I'm considered nontrad (4 years out of undergrad) but I will be a reapplicant. Applied in the 2015 cycle after completing my MPH and out of ~40 apps, got 1 interview at a state school despite also applying to ~8 DO's and having a lucky state residency (discovered there were some issues with my personal statement and worked with a couple really successful people on here to fix it up). Gearing up for reapplication this upcoming cycle and kinda paranoid about applying to a lower number of schools despite my perfectly good MCAT and pretty successful SMP run. Here is what I have, with *'s signifying NONreapplication schools

Definitely applying:
- UCLA (undergrad home institution)
- UCSF (MPH home institution)
- BU* (SMP home institution)
- FIU, FAU, FSU, USF, UCF, UF, UMiami (state schools, interviewed at Miami previous cycle)

Considering applying, would like to cut from:
Definite reaches/guilty pleasures I am 50/50 on and will probably cut:
- Stanford
- OHSU
Definite reaches, but have shown some SMP love in past:
- USC*
- CWRU*
- Yale*
- Mt Sinai*
- UPitt*
- Albert Einstein*
Shown SMP love in past
- Tufts
- GWU
- Georgetown
- Loyola
- Tulane
- Drexel/Temple/TJU
- EVMS
- VCU
- Vtech
- Rosy Franklin*
- Wayne State*
- SLU*
- Creighton*
- Cincinnati*
- NYMC
- Hofstra
- Albany
- SUNY Downstate
- Vermont*
- PSU*

DO schools:
- Nova
- LECOM-Bradenton
- WesternU/COMP
- Touro CA
- PCOM
- CCOM
- NYIT/NYCOM
- UNECOM
- Marian*
- Touro NV*

---

Things I'm worried about:
1) Currently sitting at 40 MD + 10 DO's, similar numbers to when I first applied. Admittedly had errors in my last app which I have fixed and have otherwise strengthened significantly, but paranoid about cutting down
2) Most of my school are reapp schools. I researched SDN extensively when I first applied and believe I picked a good number of lower end MDs, hence why almost the entire list is the same. Should I skip out on reapp schools for other lower MD's?
3) I expected much more DO love when I first applied. SMP advisors have said to keep 5 given my FL residency and successful SMP GPA, but should I keep this number higher and closer to 10?

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Cut your "definite reaches" except for Einstein.
If you want to cut some of the "shown SMP love," consider GT, GW, Drexel, Downstate and RFU.

Assumed as much from you or goro, I guess beggars can't be choosers. Strange that my SMP advisors recommended applying to the the latter 4 wholeheartedly, do you recommend cutting just because they have their own smp pools to consider?

In terms of DO schools, am I all set? @Goro

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Assumed as much from you or goro, I guess beggars can't be choosers. Strange that my SMP advisors recommended applying to the the latter 4 wholeheartedly, do you recommend cutting just because they have their own smp pools to consider?

It is in their best interest that you apply to as many schools as possible.
They have nothing to lose.

Reactions: 1 user
Rock solid for DO, including mine

In terms of DO schools, am I all set? @Goro