Help with school list/suggestion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apple120

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all, first time applicant trying to come up with a list of schools I should apply to this upcoming May. I am a Virginia resident and considering applying to low tier MDs and DOs due to my stats.

Stats:
Graduated from a school in Illinois
3.3 sGPA/cGPA (upward trend, with DIY post bacc)
518 MCAT
2-3000 hours working as an EMT/tech
125 hours volunteering at a hospital
10 hours shadowing a sports physician (planning on shadowing a DO)
4 year D1 athlete

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT will help you get some attention. GPA, no lie, is going to hurt; somewhat depends on how good your UG is in terms of reputation, as well as your major. Your lowish GPA could be somewhat compensated for if you went to a top school and/or graduated with tough major like engineering. And upward trend is something good there. Your work experience is impressive. I know what it takes to be a D1 athlete, but it is not always rewarded by ADCOMS given the amazing amount of time it sucks up. But there will be plenty of life experiences from being on a team that you can mention, occasionally in II's.

Also, you need more volunteering underserved in non-medical role, like homeless shelter, soup kitchen, habitat for humanity, etc. And more shadowing, as you point out. Looks like you have little to no research, but at this point, seems like that is not your passion, so no need to reinvent yourself into something you are not. Sounds wise to shore up your best application, accepting the low GPA, and apply to MD and some DO. Spend a lot of time on your personal statement and your secondaries - in order to get II's, you are going to have to make the application readers want to meet you!

For starters, Allopathic schools you may want to consider:
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac/Netter
Hofstra
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson?
Chicago Medical School, Rosy Franklin
Indiana
your state schools
GW
Georgetown.
Rush
Medical College of Wisconsin
Tulane
Wake Forest
University of Vermont
West Virginia School of Medicine
Penn State
Other new schools?

Hi y'all, first time applicant trying to come up with a list of schools I should apply to this upcoming May. I am a Virginia resident and considering applying to low tier MDs and DOs due to my stats.

Stats:
Graduated from a school in Illinois
3.3 sGPA/cGPA (upward trend, with DIY post bacc)
518 MCAT
2-3000 hours working as an EMT/tech
125 hours volunteering at a hospital
10 hours shadowing a sports physician (planning on shadowing a DO)
4 year D1 athlete

Any help would be appreciated, thank you
I suggest the following
Duke
Columbia
Case
Pitt
Mayo
all VA schools
BU
U Miami
Netter
Drexel
Albany
NYMC
Hofstra
Emory
Tulane
SLU
Creighton
Rush
Loyola
Rosy F
Dartmouth
Tufts
Wayne State
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Playing D1 will serve you well in the cycle Goodluck