MD Help with school list + WAMC (513/3.72)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

servage

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
[deleted]

Last edited:
Call UW to ask about residency requirements. They are very helpful. If you've been a full, independent WA resident since June 2016, I wanna say you qualify as a resident but depends on a lot of things, including where you pay taxes, if you are listed as a dependent, etc.

Put together a working list and people will comment on it. Its hard to generate a list for someone from scratch.
UC schools and UW are among the hardest state schools to get into so you're gunna want to dip into private schools.

EC's look very good, increase your clinical exposure. Volunteering is a good way to do this since switching jobs takes time. Idk what your volunteer experiences actually were but seems like if you were physically distributing health resources to low income/homeless that could be classified as clinical.
Apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only 50 hrs of patient contact experience over a two year period? I can't sugar coat this, my own student interviewers would eat you alive.

Concerning your service organization...did you actually go out and help people less fortunate than yourself, or run the organization itself?

I don't think WA will be impressed by residence of only 1 year. What does the school have to say about residency requirements?

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping for your input on what schools I should apply to. I'm originally from CA and moved to WA in June 2016 for work, so I'm planning to try all the UC's and UW. Basic information:

1. cGPA 3.72, sGPA 3.67
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 513 (125/130/128/130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): WA (unsure if I have met residency requirements yet, so potentially no state residency?)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: First-generation Chinese American
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: UC Berkeley
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    - 2 years (but only 50+ hours?) leading an education program at the Children's Hospital (+ rec letter)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    - 2 years in a Nutritional Science lab (+ rec letter)
    - 6 months in an Epidemiology lab (+ rec letter)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    - 3 months with the UC Davis Pre-Med Surgical Internship Program (all surgical specialities)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    - 2 years leading a service organization that provides health resources through visits at low income housing and homeless shelters
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    - 8 months working as a full time Transplant Donor Coordinator: coordinating between hospitals/coroners/funeral homes and speaking with grieving families
    - 2 years facilitating a student-led class for other undergraduates on pursuing health careers at Berkeley, class advice, mentoring, etc.
    - 1 year student teaching at Berkeley Unified School District (Computer science and 7th grade mathematics)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    - Cum laude, Dean's list
  12. I am actively working on switching from my transplant coordinator job to a scribe job since I realize I am lacking in clinical hours, and am planning to start volunteering tutoring low-income students (but that doesn't begin until school starts in Fall).

Again, I would really love to hear your thoughts and input. Thank you so much!

[deleted]

Last edited:
[deleted]

Last edited:
If needed, take a gap year and start doing more patient contact work.

Hi Goro,

I really appreciate your time and feedback! For the low clinical hours, what steps would you recommend? I am definitely worried about it and I am currently in the process of getting cleared for tuberculosis for volunteering and switching to a more clinical position.

In my service organization, officers are required to lead the outreach visits so I did go out to locations in Oakland, Richmond, etc and worked with participants directly, in addition to other administrative/leadership tasks. As for residency requirements, I contacted the Office of the Registrar last week; however, they're swamped so I'm still waiting to hear back. Again, thank you for your honest input!