Help with Science project regarding obsolete science within last 50 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christian15213

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I have to do.

I have come up with about 15 things and was actually looking to do more.

Here is exactly what the assignment is.

Create a powerpoint presentation showing science that was once taught 30 to 50 years at the most has changed and been updated by new facts and information. The more recent the better. Most notably I did for example Introns are not garbage as increasing evidence is finding uses and valid information of their exsistence. Another one was the big bang theory and what was thought until then.

funny thing was this is harder than I thought to find things.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm just going to toss this out there...you can shoot holes in it for all I care. Why don't you talk about some aspect of HIV research - its recent, a lot has changed since 1985 and its science based...

I remember doing a biology lab a long time ago where we analyzed blood for something (can't remember what). That is now outlawed because blood is known to be dangerous and prone to carry various diseases.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm just going to toss this out there...you can shoot holes in it for all I care. Why don't you talk about some aspect of HIV research - its recent, a lot has changed since 1985 and its science based...

awsome any specifics...

Look up old bio texts. I have one from 1952, its fairly amusing. One assignment I always give my students is to read the chapter on cell anatomy (organelles, etc.) and find three things that are no longer considered true. Finding an old text will probably net you quite a bit of info for the presentation. Ebay is a good source, as is any used bookstore or even antiques store or flea market type place.

Look up old bio texts. I have one from 1952, its fairly amusing. One assignment I always give my students is to read the chapter on cell anatomy (organelles, etc.) and find three things that are no longer considered true. Finding an old text will probably net you quite a bit of info for the presentation. Ebay is a good source, as is any used bookstore or even antiques store or flea market type place.

can you give me the example about the organell's

awsome any specifics...

i don't know any thing specific, I was just brainstorming for an idea. Talk about the evolution of the virus - uncovering how it is transmitted, discovering aspects of its etiology...

can you give me the example about the organell's
some prominent scientist (I don't know his name) argued vehemently against the existence of the Golgi apparatus for a long time. He eventually publicly acknowledged that it does obviously exist.

Just off the top of my head...how about H. pylori being the cause of ulcers? I remember a physiology prof mentioning that his mother-in-law had a history of awful ulcers and previous treatment involved having sections of her stomach/intestine removed. Now, you can just take a combination treatment of antibiotics.

Oh, wait, it's not just a gay disease?

Silly people at the CDC....

But, OP, just google history of AIDS/HIV and you'll find lots. It was quite a fiasco.

The H.pylori is a good suggestion as well. The guy won the Nobel prize for his work in 2005, if that helps.

But really, just about anything with DNA would have been pretty much incorrect at some point in the past.

What about the prominent scientist who stated that consuming large amounts of vitamin C was greatly beneficial to one's health?

What about the prominent scientist who stated that consuming large amounts of vitamin C was greatly beneficial to one's health?

Linus Pauling.

However, the vitamin C thing is inconclusive. It does have a lot of known health benefits, probably quite a few unknown. Anyways, large quantities are not necessarily a bad thing... the LD-50 of vitamin C is something like 12 grams per kg in mice or something like that.

That's the marketing tool of many "cold remedies" these days. Nothing new.

It used to be assumed that the reletive biological effect of radiation was constant accross all radiation types, ie. 1 Gy from a photon was thought equal to 1 Gy from a proton, neutron, alpha particle, heavy particle, etc. It wasn't until later that the concept of different types of interactions based on linear energy transfer changed the view so that different types of radiation are all weighted differently (and hence, have a different RBE).