1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Help with Science project regarding obsolete science within last 50 years

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by christian15213, May 1, 2007.

1. christian15213

christian15213 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    That's pretty much what I have to do.

I have come up with about 15 things and was actually looking to do more.

Here is exactly what the assignment is.

Create a powerpoint presentation showing science that was once taught 30 to 50 years at the most has changed and been updated by new facts and information. The more recent the better. Most notably I did for example Introns are not garbage as increasing evidence is finding uses and valid information of their exsistence. Another one was the big bang theory and what was thought until then.

funny thing was this is harder than I thought to find things.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cnoevil

cnoevil good with kids
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i'm just going to toss this out there...you can shoot holes in it for all I care. Why don't you talk about some aspect of HIV research - its recent, a lot has changed since 1985 and its science based...

4. RowaH

2+ Year Member

I remember doing a biology lab a long time ago where we analyzed blood for something (can't remember what). That is now outlawed because blood is known to be dangerous and prone to carry various diseases.

5. christian15213

Removed

Pre-Medical
    awsome any specifics...

6. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Look up old bio texts. I have one from 1952, its fairly amusing. One assignment I always give my students is to read the chapter on cell anatomy (organelles, etc.) and find three things that are no longer considered true. Finding an old text will probably net you quite a bit of info for the presentation. Ebay is a good source, as is any used bookstore or even antiques store or flea market type place.

7. christian15213

Removed

Pre-Medical
    can you give me the example about the organell's

8. cnoevil

cnoevil good with kids
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i don't know any thing specific, I was just brainstorming for an idea. Talk about the evolution of the virus - uncovering how it is transmitted, discovering aspects of its etiology...

9. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    some prominent scientist (I don't know his name) argued vehemently against the existence of the Golgi apparatus for a long time. He eventually publicly acknowledged that it does obviously exist.

10. coral

coral Member
    5+ Year Member

Just off the top of my head...how about H. pylori being the cause of ulcers? I remember a physiology prof mentioning that his mother-in-law had a history of awful ulcers and previous treatment involved having sections of her stomach/intestine removed. Now, you can just take a combination treatment of antibiotics.

11. ssquared

ssquared Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Oh, wait, it's not just a gay disease?

Silly people at the CDC....

But, OP, just google history of AIDS/HIV and you'll find lots. It was quite a fiasco.

The H.pylori is a good suggestion as well. The guy won the Nobel prize for his work in 2005, if that helps.

But really, just about anything with DNA would have been pretty much incorrect at some point in the past.

12. RowaH

2+ Year Member

What about the prominent scientist who stated that consuming large amounts of vitamin C was greatly beneficial to one's health?

13. EmbellisMaVie

EmbellisMaVie Cynical Idealist
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Linus Pauling.

However, the vitamin C thing is inconclusive. It does have a lot of known health benefits, probably quite a few unknown. Anyways, large quantities are not necessarily a bad thing... the LD-50 of vitamin C is something like 12 grams per kg in mice or something like that.

14. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    That's the marketing tool of many "cold remedies" these days. Nothing new.

15. SupergreenMnM

SupergreenMnM Peanut, not chocolate
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It used to be assumed that the reletive biological effect of radiation was constant accross all radiation types, ie. 1 Gy from a photon was thought equal to 1 Gy from a proton, neutron, alpha particle, heavy particle, etc. It wasn't until later that the concept of different types of interactions based on linear energy transfer changed the view so that different types of radiation are all weighted differently (and hence, have a different RBE).