Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fldoctorgirl

IM PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wise SDNers, I need your opinions.

I was super fortunate to be accepted to RVU-CO today. I also have an interview at KCU in November.

I have an interview scheduled for next Friday at PCOM-GA. I'm wondering if I should still attend it; I already booked the flight (but I can get a credit to book another flight at another time) and a rental car.

Can someone give me a good comparison between these schools? I do live in Florida, so Georgia is technically closer, but I doubt I would realistically be driving down that much, and a 2 hr flight vs a 4 hr one doesn't matter much to me. Additionally, I am actually kind of sick of the heat and would be excited to experience a different climate.

What should I do??? Check out PCOM-GA because I might as well, or withdraw? I know RVU is highly regarded on here, and so is PCOM. However, I am concerned that the GA campus is not really up-to-par with its parent campus-- it's really hard to find solid info about the GA program online.

Any advice or info would be much appreciated!

And yes, I realize I am very fortunate to be in the position to even ask this question. I am super grateful, and I hope I don't come off the wrong way.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I would personally go on the interview. You might go on it and gel a lot more with that school than you did with RVU. I know that the few interviews I have been on so far made me realize how vastly different the schools were than I expected them to be. Also, it looks like PCOM is a few grand cheaper - not a ton, but every bit counts, especially if you wind up liking the school more. Just my $0.02. Congrats on the acceptance

Reactions: 1 user
This is from someone who comes from GA, has visited PCOM-GA. I would choose to skip out on the interview and go to RVU or KCU (I even withdrew from PCOM-GA after my NOVA acceptance if that is telling enough). PCOM GA is a good school but I feel like there are a lot of flaws that they have that would make me not want to attend. The facility is very small and is shared by other health science students is one huge example.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say skip it. I've never interviewed at RVU-CO so I don't know what it's like there, but bengirlxD pretty much hit the nail on the head. Campus is a single building (about the size of a Costco), limited studying space, and apparently they're trying to expand further to south Georgia (their focus and administration will be split). The two campuses are completely separate and have nothing to do with each other. There's a huge difference between PCOM-PA and PCOM-GA.

The only positive I would say is probably the area. Atlanta isn't too far away and the school itself is in a suburban area. I went to undergrad at a big university so a large campus with lots of resources was important when choosing a school (I also go to NSUCOM), and PCOM-GA doesn't have that.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you guys!! I will definitely take all of this into consideration.

Similar to bengirl, I am also a GA resident that attended an interview at PCOM-GA. I don't highly recommend the school. The facilities are small, and the building is shared with the pharmacy school, and soon the PT school as well. They didn't have a presentation prepared with any information regarding extracurriculars, opportunities to participate in research or mission trips, and hardly any news about board scores or match rates. I'm still waiting to hear back, but I'll probably choose my VCOM seat over PCOM-GA.

Reactions: 1 users
Wise SDNers, I need your opinions.

I was super fortunate to be accepted to RVU-CO today. I also have an interview at KCU in November.

I have an interview scheduled for next Friday at PCOM-GA. I'm wondering if I should still attend it; I already booked the flight (but I can get a credit to book another flight at another time) and a rental car.

Can someone give me a good comparison between these schools? I do live in Florida, so Georgia is technically closer, but I doubt I would realistically be driving down that much, and a 2 hr flight vs a 4 hr one doesn't matter much to me. Additionally, I am actually kind of sick of the heat and would be excited to experience a different climate.

What should I do??? Check out PCOM-GA because I might as well, or withdraw? I know RVU is highly regarded on here, and so is PCOM. However, I am concerned that the GA campus is not really up-to-par with its parent campus-- it's really hard to find solid info about the GA program online.

Any advice or info would be much appreciated!

And yes, I realize I am very fortunate to be in the position to even ask this question. I am super grateful, and I hope I don't come off the wrong way.
If you were my own daughter, I would advise checking out PCOM-GA.
Also, inquire in the school-specific thread.

If you were my own daughter, I would advise checking out PCOM-GA.
Also, inquire in the school-specific thread.
My own parents advised me similarly after I posted this thread, ironically ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Surprised there's so much against going to the PCOM-GA interview. I'd definitely attend and check it out for myself. For example, personally I was about to choose a new school (UIW or Campbell) over KCU because KCU's curriculum is RIGOROUS (They make you read an ENTIRE textbook and slam you in all directions in regards to curriculum. It might be a better regarded school, but personally I might not even make it to graduation in their program. Not trying to bash the school (in fact, they have one of the highest board scores as a result of the rigor), but just saying you can't just always follow what's "best" and sometimes have to follow what's best FOR YOU. With that, go to this interview unless you see ABSOLUTELY NO POSITIVES of wanting to attend this school over your other choices. Only you can decide that.

Surprised there's so much against going to the PCOM-GA interview. I'd definitely attend and check it out for myself. For example, personally I was about to choose a new school (UIW or Campbell) over KCU because KCU's curriculum is RIGOROUS (They make you read an ENTIRE textbook and slam you in all directions in regards to curriculum. It might be a better regarded school, but personally I might not even make it to graduation in their program. Not trying to bash the school (in fact, they have one of the highest board scores as a result of the rigor), but just saying you can't just always follow what's "best" and sometimes have to follow what's best FOR YOU. With that, go to this interview unless you see ABSOLUTELY NO POSITIVES of wanting to attend this school over your other choices. Only you can decide that.
I have decided to attend! I already have my travel plans in order and think I might as well check it out.

Reactions: 4 users