Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nisha96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been in extreme turmoil over what should I do next. My goal is to be a DO. But, I'll be honest my science grades are average. They're not the top tier but they're not the bottom either. I was thinking go to graduate school to increase my GPA but, I was also thinking why not study for the MCAT's and apply to medical school, acquire more experience and see what happens. I'm just really confused on what the next steps should be. How often do Osteopathic schools accept GPA's that are under a 3.5? Is GPA and MCAT score combined the deal breaker? What quality of the applicant gives the admission committee hope for you?

Members don't see this ad.

Graduate school does not increase your gpa.

What was you score on an mcat assessment?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have taken the prereqs, get an mcat book and study for a month or two and take an assesment.

I have been in extreme turmoil over what should I do next. My goal is to be a DO. But, I'll be honest my science grades are average. They're not the top tier but they're not the bottom either. I was thinking go to graduate school to increase my GPA but, I was also thinking why not study for the MCAT's and apply to medical school, acquire more experience and see what happens. I'm just really confused on what the next steps should be. How often do Osteopathic schools accept GPA's that are under a 3.5? Is GPA and MCAT score combined the deal breaker? What quality of the applicant gives the admission committee hope for you?
Median GPA for DO acceptee is ~3.4. If you are >3.25, you should have so.e success.

A 3.2+ GPA and a 500+ MCAT along with quality EC's and DO letter will get you SOME osteo acceptance with a broad school list