Help!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omidjoon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman in college and already i've shot myself in the foot... by the end of this semester God willing my Science GPA will be a 3.0 however all my other classes i have recieved A's in (5 A's and 4 B's)... I am nervous because it only gets harder but i really want to be a doctor. I have had experience growing up in the field of medicine because my father, i would go with him on his rounds and i actually saw him circumsize babies when i was in 3rd grade and i just have seen things that probably few people have in terms of experience for a child, (he is an MD, but they would not let him go to Med School in america so he had to go to Mexico) and my uncle is a DO (He went to TCOM). Anyhow both of them succeeded but both of them are brilliant men who had excellent grades. I just need my spirits to be lifted... :(

ITS SPRING BREAK!

Members don't see this ad.

Omidjoon said:
I'm a freshman in college and already i've shot myself in the foot... by the end of this semester God willing my Science GPA will be a 3.0 however all my other classes i have recieved A's in (5 A's and 4 B's)... I am nervous because it only gets harder but i really want to be a doctor. I have had experience growing up in the field of medicine because my father, i would go with him on his rounds and i actually saw him circumsize babies when i was in 3rd grade and i just have seen things that probably few people have in terms of experience for a child, (he is an MD, but they would not let him go to Med School in america so he had to go to Mexico) and my uncle is a DO (He went to TCOM). Anyhow both of them succeeded but both of them are brilliant men who had excellent grades. I just need my spirits to be lifted... :(

ITS SPRING BREAK!

You're only a freshman. You have very many more science classes to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA after my first year of college was 2.83...didn't know then I wanted to be a doctor.

Work hard the next 3 years. Admissions people are not only looking for good grades but increased academic performance as you progress through college. As long as you do better as you go along, don't worry about your frosh year.

Work hard in school, do a sensible number of extra curriculars and volunteer.

oh man, B's are not shooting yourself in the foot :)

seriously. keep up the good work. study more. the best piece of advice i have is to learn concepts rather than try to memorize everything. go to professor/TA office hours if you need extra help, or a tutoring program if your school offers one. good luck!

I would have killed for B's my freshman year, and done other unmentionable things for a single A. Consider yourself fortunate, not limping.

MasterShakeDO said:
I would have killed for B's my freshman year, and done other unmentionable things for a single A. Consider yourself fortunate, not limping.

Hey Shake, I RULE YOU!

A.T.H.F. #1 in the hood...... :D

E-

Omidjoon said:

ITS SPRING BREAK!

Dude... try not to panic. :D You aren't doing bad. You don't even know until you get to at least your junior year and take the MCAT.
I know what you mean about the experiences that not everyone has, and that is a great thing when you get ready to talk to admissions committees. I remember watching my uncle sew a guy's finger back on when I was in 5th grade.
Just keep working, you'll do it if it is really what you want.