help

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by mas100, Aug 14, 2002.

1. mas100

mas100 Junior Member

Hi everyone; I am a PA and trying to write my personal statement. I am having difficult time. Is there anybody out there that can help me by giving an idea or be kind enough to share their statement. though I have written one statement but I am not sure about the quality and direction of it's content.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    mas

Just a suggestion. I would write about a profound experience you had as a PA, or PA student, that made you want to apply to DO school.

You may get the question..."Why did you want to switch careers?"

"What do you want from being a DO that you couldn't get from being a PA?"

PAs have such great autonomy, particularly in some fields that an admissions person may throw this at you.

Distinguish.

4. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student

I agree with JP. I'm a podiatrist and I know that I'll be getting that question if and when I interview. Never disparage your profession. Don't say you want to be a DO because of a negative reason about being a PA. I just said that I wanted a more complete education and wanted to be a "whole body" doctor.

My personal statement emphasized my background, but I was sure to point out that learning never stops and whatever I did before that may be repeated will only be bolstered. I, of course, also spoke of what brought me to osteopathic medicine and how comfortable I feel with the tenets and underpinnings, etc.