Helpful apps for use in the ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cipher

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's what I'm currently using:

• Up-to-date: I end up not using the app too much because our hospital a subscription and I can access it from all the computers
  • Pedi STAT: awesome app for quickly getting med doses, equipment sizes, normal vitals, etc for peds patients
  • MDCalc: convenient to have but usually easier to just bring it up on the computer
  • Ob wheel
  • Epocrates

What apps do you guys use and find helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a broken record, but Pepid EM suite is what I recommend. I really don't use anything else.

What's OB wheel?

Members don't see this ad :)
5 minute Emergency medicine consult
EMRA Pressordex
EMRA Antibiotic Guide

The EMRA antibiotic guide and pressor apps seem to get mediocre reviews on the app store. People say that they are buggy and crash a lot. You've found them to be helpful?

I use Lexicomp since it is free with my hospital subscription. Good for drug interactions, among other things. Also EMRA antibiotics.

Epocrates

I carry the EMRA abx pocket book but find I’ve memorized most of the abx I commonly use.

OB wheel is a very basic app that lets you put in a patient's LMP or EDC to quickly calculate their gestational age. Easier than carrying around a physical OB wheel: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quartertone.medcalc.obwheel&hl=en

I used pepid in the past and didn't find the interface to be very user-friendly. And I think I remember it being really expensive?
I cannot imagine there's a single EM doc in the country that carries a physical OB wheel...

Reactions: 2 users
I cannot imagine there's a single EM doc in the country that carries a physical OB wheel...

Nope!

I just do these in my head. then I say "oh...ok so you are about 6 wks pregnant, give or take a few days."

I don't carry my phone around with me at work. I have it plugged in listening to dead concerts at my desk. so I use UpToDate for just about everything. Occasionally WikEM.

I have never worked somewhere that didn't have a computer for me to use.
The apps add almost nothing for me that I can't google. I don't use apps for this reason.

Who even cares
What difference does it make
I only calculate it when I need to talk to OB and then I have to remember what G and P mean

MDCalc.
Wikem.
Epocrates.
PediSafe.
iFunny.
Cardinal Quest 2.
Reversi.
Pixel Dungeon.
Gordon Ramsay Soundboard.

WikEM is pretty much the only app you need.
I do refer to the EMRA antibiotic and PressorDex guide from time to time.

The EMRA antibiotic guide and pressor apps seem to get mediocre reviews on the app store. People say that they are buggy and crash a lot. You've found them to be helpful?

I used to have problems with the app crashing but not recently. I’ve also memorized a lot of the info so maybe I don’t reference it as much anymore to notice it crashing.

Infinite Dose calculator. It makes weight based dosing effortless. There are other apps that can do the same thing, but this one does it in fewer clicks and in less time.