Helpful apps for use in the ED

Started by cipher
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cipher

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's what I'm currently using:

  • Up-to-date: I end up not using the app too much because our hospital a subscription and I can access it from all the computers
  • Pedi STAT: awesome app for quickly getting med doses, equipment sizes, normal vitals, etc for peds patients
  • MDCalc: convenient to have but usually easier to just bring it up on the computer
  • Ob wheel
  • Epocrates

What apps do you guys use and find helpful?
 
I'm a broken record, but Pepid EM suite is what I recommend. I really don't use anything else.

What's OB wheel?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
5 minute Emergency medicine consult
EMRA Pressordex
EMRA Antibiotic Guide

The EMRA antibiotic guide and pressor apps seem to get mediocre reviews on the app store. People say that they are buggy and crash a lot. You've found them to be helpful?
 
I use Lexicomp since it is free with my hospital subscription. Good for drug interactions, among other things. Also EMRA antibiotics.
 
Epocrates

I carry the EMRA abx pocket book but find I’ve memorized most of the abx I commonly use.
 
OB wheel is a very basic app that lets you put in a patient's LMP or EDC to quickly calculate their gestational age. Easier than carrying around a physical OB wheel: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quartertone.medcalc.obwheel&hl=en

I used pepid in the past and didn't find the interface to be very user-friendly. And I think I remember it being really expensive?
I cannot imagine there's a single EM doc in the country that carries a physical OB wheel...
 
I cannot imagine there's a single EM doc in the country that carries a physical OB wheel...

Nope!

I just do these in my head. then I say "oh...ok so you are about 6 wks pregnant, give or take a few days."

I don't carry my phone around with me at work. I have it plugged in listening to dead concerts at my desk. so I use UpToDate for just about everything. Occasionally WikEM.
 
I have never worked somewhere that didn't have a computer for me to use.
The apps add almost nothing for me that I can't google. I don't use apps for this reason.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad