Helpful Guidance Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Getdentordietry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just joined SDN and wanted to ask for some advice. I graduated in 2003 with B.S. in biology. Since then I have been working full time for a biotech lab. I applied for the 2005 cycle with BCP 3.0, Sci. 3.08, Cumulative 3.26, DAT AA. 17, Sci. 17, PA. 13 :( . I got 1 interview in May 2005, but no acceptance. Reapplied for 2006 cycle (aadsas mailed out app. Aug 2005) after taking the DAT again, AA. 20, Sci. 21 :) , PA. 17, but was not able to take the DAT until end of Nov. 2005 because of family issues :( I have been shadowing a dentist for some time now and I have volunteering experience as well.

Applied to: Ariz., BU, Case, Creighton, Howard, Marquette, Meharry, NYU, UNLV, USC, Penn, UOP, UCSF, UCLA, NOVA, Tufts, Buffalo.

No Interviews.

Rejections: Ariz, Case, Marquette, UNLV, Penn, NOVA

Wait listed: Creighton

I think this year is a long shot. Any advice besides applying earlier for 2007?
Is it worth the extra time and $$$ to get a masters and any recommendations on master programs? I know of a few 1 year masters programs, but they are geared toward Med students. Will it make a big difference if I take a few graduate level courses, or should I save my money? Will it make a big difference if I do more than shadowing, ie. dental assistant, etc? Will dental schools act unfavorably due to my past apps, or is my persistence to apply again a plus? I am just trying to find that light at the end of the tunnel. I have spent lots of $$$$ and time so far and any help to get over this hurdle is greatly appreciated :) Sorry I wrote so much :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Getdentordietry said:
Hi everyone. I just joined SDN and wanted to ask for some advice. I graduated in 2003 with B.S. in biology. Since then I have been working full time for a biotech lab. I applied for the 2005 cycle with BCP 3.0, Sci. 3.08, Cumulative 3.26, DAT AA. 17, Sci. 17, PA. 13 :( . I got 1 interview in May 2005, but no acceptance. Reapplied for 2006 cycle (aadsas mailed out app. Aug 2005) after taking the DAT again, AA. 20, Sci. 21 :) , PA. 17, but was not able to take the DAT until end of Nov. 2005 because of family issues :( I have been shadowing a dentist for some time now and I have volunteering experience as well.

Applied to: Ariz., BU, Case, Creighton, Howard, Marquette, Meharry, NYU, UNLV, USC, Penn, UOP, UCSF, UCLA, NOVA, Tufts, Buffalo.

No Interviews.

Rejections: Ariz, Case, Marquette, UNLV, Penn, NOVA

Wait listed: Creighton

I think this year is a long shot. Any advice besides applying earlier for 2007?
Is it worth the extra time and $$$ to get a masters and any recommendations on master programs? I know of a few 1 year masters programs, but they are geared toward Med students. Will it make a big difference if I take a few graduate level courses, or should I save my money? Will it make a big difference if I do more than shadowing, ie. dental assistant, etc? Will dental schools act unfavorably due to my past apps, or is my persistence to apply again a plus? I am just trying to find that light at the end of the tunnel. I have spent lots of $$$$ and time so far and any help to get over this hurdle is greatly appreciated :) Sorry I wrote so much :oops:

Your DAT's seem fine as long as you don't have a science section or reading comp section below a 17. I would enroll full-time for post-bacc work begining this summer. I don't know that a particular program would really make a big difference as long as you take all science courses (the A's you make will increase all GPA's). Specific post-bacc programs are usually geared toward the under priviledged and really only benifit your application at that particular school. This is just my opinion if it was me but I haven't read your app. so I don't know any better than you do. You might get some very good replies here, but you are the authority on what is best for you. Hope this helps and good luck!

I agree. Do some more undergrad courses to raise you GPA. But that won't help you next cycle, it'll help you the cycle after that. So you have a long road ahead. I think it's worth it :thumbup:

I think that BU has a one year post bac program that's geared for med school ppl, but who cares? It will help you too.