How Helpful Is a Minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donny.you

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Physiology and Neurobiology major and considering a minor in Molecular Cell Biology. I will have 7/15 MCB credits when completing my major so I will need to take an additional 3 classes to get the remaining 8 credits. In order to do so, I would need to take 18-19 credits my last three semesters (About 12-14 credits will be upper level PNB/MCB courses). Will a minor make a significant impact on my dental school application? Past SDN post have said it does not at all, however my predental advisor is telling me otherwise. I want to make sure the time, effort and risk (Potentially lowering my GPA) is worth it.

Side Note: I am currently not minoring in anything

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would have a huge effect either way assuming you keep a high GPA. It will become another talking point at your interviews and a bulletin on your resume. Not a dealbreaker or maker

The most important thing is a high GPA, esp high science GPA. could you possibly get a science rec letter out of it?

Reactions: 1 user
It would be a good conversation piece.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be? They’re both similar sciences. It’s not like they majored in Physiology and Neurobiology with a minor in something like Piano Performance. That would be interesting, the other not so much.

Big Hoss
Other than being a tongue in cheek comment, splitting hair are we? Kind of like the weather, perhaps not so interesting (except for meteorologists), but sure is the topic of many conversations.
For the record, physiology, neurobiology, molecular cell biology and piano performance are common nouns and are not capitalized.

Last edited:
Other than being a comment tongue in cheek, splitting hair are we? Kind of like the weather, perhaps not so interesting (except for meteorologists), but sure is the topic of many conversations.
If the OP wants a conversation piece for interviews, might I suggest a face or neck tattoo?

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
For the record, physiology, neurobiology, molecular cell biology and piano performance are common nouns and are not capitalized.
Blame it on me getting a minor in chemistry and not English.

29CD64D8-09A5-45AF-83F9-58AFDA3EE470.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Or blame it on not paying attention when the subject matter was presented; or the dog ate the relevant homework.

Last edited:
I am currently a Physiology and Neurobiology major and considering a minor in Molecular Cell Biology. I will have 7/15 MCB credits when completing my major so I will need to take an additional 3 classes to get the remaining 8 credits. In order to do so, I would need to take 18-19 credits my last three semesters (About 12-14 credits will be upper level PNB/MCB courses). Will a minor make a significant impact on my dental school application? Past SDN post have said it does not at all, however my predental advisor is telling me otherwise. I want to make sure the time, effort and risk (Potentially lowering my GPA) is worth it.

Side Note: I am currently not minoring in anything
You are doing very well and you are getting smart degrees. In my experience, I only majored in Biology with no minor and still received 6 interviews out of 11 applications. It would not have made a difference if I took the 1 extra class to get my Chem minor. Some people have more degrees than a thermometer, but they cannot get jobs or admission into professional school because they were too focused on quantity (credits) rather than quality (grades). I do not think this is you, I think you are doing very well, and if you have interest in Molecular Cell Biology, then take the classes to get that minor! Otherwise do not worry about it.

I had three minors and not one time were they brought up in interviews haha, only do them if you're interested in the subject