Pretend you were a guidance counselor for a few minutes..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremrsDr<3

Reaction score
-Overall GPA is 3.14
(higher on sciences but unsure exactly by how much.)
-Let's imagine I pull out a 20 on DAT

-Humanitarian service mission for 1.5 years (helping people give up addictions, find direction in life, learn English/Spanish, make other habit changes )
-Member of Dental Society in Undergrad
-Graduated in 2016
-Mommy of 2 since then
-Shadowed a friend's Dentist parents when I was younger

I need to take my OChem classes still, and Biochem. I am planning to do that over the next school year.
It's June 2020, there is an "accelerated Dental Assisting" program in my area starting soon.
I'm contemplating if I should do that too?
How much could that help my application?

P.S.: I wouldn't necessarily have a lot of time to actually work after certification unless I can get daycare for the kids (but covid, so unsure when that would happen, or if any office needs someone strictly after 5pm) (of course once covid gets a little less intense, etc I would consider daycare, if this type of exposure helps enough)

P.P.S: I am currently finishing a Computer Information Degree, does that look good at all? Should I just stop?

Any advice or insight would be great.

P.P.P.S: If it helps at all my schools of choice would be any in Texas or DCG (in Georgia) (places I have lived most of my life (I will apply everywhere though))

Members don't see this ad.

You should go back to take a couple of easy non-science courses and guarantee yourself 4-8 A's. Try to get at least a 3.3 and a 21 (average is like 3.5 / 20) or higher on the DAT to have a good chance.

Reactions: 1 user
You should go back to take a couple of easy non-science courses and guarantee yourself 4-8 A's. Try to get at least a 3.3 and a 21 (average is like 3.5 / 20) or higher on the DAT to have a good chance.

I've been reading some other advice too... it seems people are saying to forego the dental-office exposure and just focus on raising that gpa. Thanks for the tips!

Any "easy" science classes that could possibly up my science gpa come to mind?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in a state where you can be a dental assistant without needing the certification? If you can take some writing intensive courses that can be completed online 100%, I’d recommend doing that. Easy to manage and easy to pull an A in the humanities and English departments. Try to take classes that would be good to bring up in an interview. I took a lot of psychology classes that were easy to take online and managed A’s. Try to do well in ochem. Its tough and you need plenty of time to study for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd hop back on the horse to get experience in a dental office, whether it's through that assisting program or otherwise. I can't really tell, but I'm guessing since you graduated and had started your family, you haven't really been able to get connected with other dentists. I can't really make suggestions of courses without a transcript, so go find an admissions counselor at your closest dental schools for advice.

-Overall GPA is 3.14
(higher on sciences but unsure exactly by how much.)
-Let's imagine I pull out a 20 on DAT

-Humanitarian service mission for 1.5 years (helping people give up addictions, find direction in life, learn English/Spanish, make other habit changes )
-Member of Dental Society in Undergrad
-Graduated in 2016
-Mommy of 2 since then
-Shadowed a friend's Dentist parents when I was younger

I need to take my OChem classes still, and Biochem. I am planning to do that over the next school year.
It's June 2020, there is an "accelerated Dental Assisting" program in my area starting soon.
I'm contemplating if I should do that too?
How much could that help my application?

P.S.: I wouldn't necessarily have a lot of time to actually work after certification unless I can get daycare for the kids (but covid, so unsure when that would happen, or if any office needs someone strictly after 5pm) (of course once covid gets a little less intense, etc I would consider daycare, if this type of exposure helps enough)

P.P.S: I am currently finishing a Computer Information Degree, does that look good at all? Should I just stop?

Any advice or insight would be great.

P.P.P.S: If it helps at all my schools of choice would be any in Texas or DCG (in Georgia) (places I have lived most of my life (I will apply everywhere though))

What state do you live in?

What state do you live in?
I am currently in Georgia, for my husband's school/work, but my parents live in Texas and I graduated HS there so I believe I would be able to count as in-state to both of these places

The reason I ask is that in WA state where I am, you can get WA DA license online and then do in clinic training to become certified.
Another option is to start working at a dental office front desk, as receptionist and try getting in some shadowing?
Getting the science classes done and managing a new certification is a lot. You have accomplished a lot so just keep focused and you will get to dental school.

The reason I ask is that in WA state where I am, you can get WA DA license online and then do in clinic training to become certified.
Another option is to start working at a dental office front desk, as receptionist and try getting in some shadowing?
Getting the science classes done and managing a new certification is a lot. You have accomplished a lot so just keep focused and you will get to dental school.
thank you so much, I appreciate your supportive advice. I am going to try my best to get some kind of experience in but if I don't get in next cycle I will become a DA until I apply again. I think that is a great option.