Hem/Onc fellowship application thread 2010-2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Factor II. I agree we should be more systematic in describing credentials because interviews are only half the picture. I also beleive it is only fair if someone gets an interview through an internal contact or is an internal candidate to mention that to give a more accurate picture for the rest of us of the interview trend.

IMG with GC
Strong community program affiliated with University
Board scores step 1 83, step II 96, step 3 87
4 strong LORS
7 publications ( 2 reviews, a few case studies), A few posters ( one in ASH, one in ACP). Some other reserach experience , mostly clinical but also submitted an NIH grant for a translational project ( decision pending).
Applied to quite a few programs
so far no rejections no interviews! nothing!

Members don't see this ad.

My credentials are -
IMG on J1 visa
University based program
USMLE STEP 1/STEP2 - 91/88. STEP 3 - not taken
4 good LORs
Research - 2 publications, 2 accepted pending print, 2 posters, 1 online publication, 1 textbook chapter (in my country), 2 pending review, 1 yr basic science research experience.
Applied to 74 programs. No interviews. No rejections so far

Someone earlier posted about receiving interview from Darmoth--great !!!
Today, I received, what sounds like a e-mail, saying they are reviewing applications and will get in touch by the end of this month.

Did anyone else receive this e-mail?/

Members don't see this ad :)
received the same today

-----------
Someone earlier posted about receiving interview from Darmoth--great !!!
Today, I received, what sounds like a e-mail, saying they are reviewing applications and will get in touch by the end of this month.

Did anyone else receive this e-mail?/

Please keep adding your credentials...........Thanks

IMG in a University Program. Green Card.
Step 1 : 98
Step 2 : 99
Step 3 : Not yet

MPH with 3 years of Research experience (Clinical and Basic Science)
5 Publications and posters at local and national meetings.

Good LOR's. Applied to 65 programs.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

IMG, No visa issues
Residency from a University program
scores 99/93/82
2 years of basic science research in hematology
3 Publications and 2 posters
2 years hospitalist experience.

No interviews, only a rejection from UNC.

Sounds like everyone posting their stats here are pretty competitive. I am sure there is a publication bias but it sounds like everyone is setting the bar higher this year. What do you think?

Agree, this years credentials are giving me a chill down the spine..

and that is why everyone should feel encouraged to submit their credentials regardless of how competitive they think they are. This way we all get a more accurate picture of the applicant pool.

International grad
Mid tier university based program
Steps 99/99/pass (Step 3 not yet taken)
4 strong letters of rec
2 posters, 1 paper submitted but not yet published
Applited to 50 programs

0 IV, 1 rej (UNC)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I got the same email from Dartmouth-Hitchcock
Also; IMG/J1/97/95/not taken step 3 yet
5 publications including case reports
applied 65 progrms
2 rej/1iv so far!

What I have heard from friends/colleagues and fellows in my Univ

1. Letters/Recommendations from a well known figure in the field
2. Performance during residency (esp what your PD writes abt you)
3. Research & Publications (quality of publications; higher impact factor journals, Basic > Clinical, Current vs past)
4. Personal statement- overall career goals and suitability to the program (a person who writes to be a physician-scientist might not even get calls from community-hospital as they might think you will be misfit----- Believe me this has happened to me during my residency interview-- one of the PDs told me that we think your goals will be more met at a Univ-based program rather than our program which is a small community hospital)
5. Board Scores, Visa issues
6. Medical school performance

This is by no means an absolute order of preference and we all can contribute and come up with a working list !!!!!!!!

Congratulations for the interview invitation !! Do you mind telling which program ??

1. Current Residency Program: Community
2. Board Scores: 86/85/94
3. Research & Publications: Case Reports - Multiple
4. Good LoRs x4
5. IMG / US Passport
6. Applied to 40 programs:

2 invitations - Washington Hospital Center - DC
ECU :)

2 rejections - UNC, UCSD

Last edited:
What I have heard from friends/colleagues and fellows in my Univ

1. Letters/Recommendations from a well known figure in the field
2. Performance during residency (esp what your PD writes abt you)
3. Research & Publications (quality of publications; higher impact factor journals, Basic > Clinical, Current vs past)
4. Personal statement- overall career goals and suitability to the program (a person who writes to be a physician-scientist might not even get calls from community-hospital as they might think you will be misfit----- Believe me this has happened to me during my residency interview-- one of the PDs told me that we think your goals will be more met at a Univ-based program rather than our program which is a small community hospital)
5. Board Scores, Visa issues
6. Medical school performance

This is by no means an absolute order of preference and we all can contribute and come up with a working list !!!!!!!!

Also the program where you did your residency counts.
How important do you think the step 1 and 2 scores are, I found only one program mention it in the application instructions that they have a cut off.

Washington University Hospital, in saint louis or seattle?

------------------------------------------
4. Good LoRs x4
5. IMG / US Passport
2 invitations - Washington University Hospital
ECU

1 rejection - UNC

Did anyone get an email from program ccordinators asking for MSPE? I am an IMG and my medical school does not release one. Did anyone have a similar situation. Congrats to everyone who has already received an interview.

4. Good LoRs x4
5. IMG / US Passport
2 invitations - Washington University Hospital
ECU

1 rejection - UNC

---------------------------------------------------
Quick question: is your iv from

Washington Uiversity program or Washington Hospital program ?

Thanks

Are the programs particular about a program director's letter? Let's say I have a better letter that I know off from the Asst PD..can I use that instead?

Got an phone call for IV today from U of Michigan.

Other IVs include: Columbia, Baylor.

Credentials:

IMG in a community program.
Steps: 99/99/91
Cancer research experience x10 years.
10 publications.
4 LORs.

Applied 50 programs.

Cmon people,look at the forum, there is a lot of questions but hardly any answers. Don't be so self centered. As people at a certain intellectual level maybe we can coordinate better and make this really interactive. I see that majority of the questions are ignored. Just post your thoughts, we all know that no answer is absolute.

International grad
Mid tier university based program
Steps 99/99/pass (Step 3 not yet taken)
4 strong letters of rec
2 posters, 1 paper submitted but not yet published
Applited to 50 programs

0 IV, 1 rej (UNC)

Thanks everyone for letting know about the rejections from chapel hill.I am still applying to progms and skipped that program. Saved me 25bucks. This application process is really getting expensive.

Last edited:
I'm a first-year fellow and plan to write up a nice comprehensive piece about my fellowship program within a few months. It's been everything that I thought it would be, and clearly was the best educational, lifestyle, and professional career site for me.

Looking forward to your post. Thanks

Osteopathic medical school
Academic allopathic residency
USMLE 95/99/Step 3 not taken
Comlex 92/95/88
1 year clinical research, 1 poster, 1 abstract (case report and manuscript in progress)
4 strong LOR's
Applied to 25 programs
Notice from Fred Hutch in regards to decision date
No interviews offered yet....

Are the programs particular about a program director's letter? Let's say I have a better letter that I know off from the Asst PD..can I use that instead?

I am not an expert on this, but I suggest following the application directions and asking the established program director. Your PD wants you do to well and will write a strong letter. It is an expected duty for their office to write these letters.

Also the program where you did your residency counts.
How important do you think the step 1 and 2 scores are, I found only one program mention it in the application instructions that they have a cut off.

I wish I had the answer to that too. I think Board scores are more important for " screening" than for the actual match , does anyone know what are the average cutoffs?

99/86/79
IMG on H1B
1 review paper ,1book chapter, and 6 posters at national meetings,another paper to be publised soon
4 good lors
postdoc year 1
MPH and fellowhsip in palliative care
no interviews.
rejection from chappel hill.
awefully quiet.

I wish I had the answer to that too. I think Board scores are more important for " screening" than for the actual match , does anyone know what are the average cutoffs?

I know there was one SUNY program with 82 in both steps. But you are right,probably filters are set,would guess low 80s.

This sprouts another question, if on the tracking system, the program has downloaded the documents, does that mean you are past the filters.

Last edited:
Did anyone get an email from program ccordinators asking for MSPE? I am an IMG and my medical school does not release one. Did anyone have a similar situation. Congrats to everyone who has already received an interview.

Aren't you supposed to upload the marks transcript instead for IMGs. That is what I did.

I am not an expert on this, but I suggest following the application directions and asking the established program director. Your PD wants you do to well and will write a strong letter. It is an expected duty for their office to write these letters.

You can make a case if your PD is not available , on vacation, out of country etc. and if your associate is incharge.

Received IV from UCSD today. First one.

MD Anderson, Orlando.

Creds: IMG with GC, excellent board scores, few case reports, posters.
Resident in a University program, 4 LORs.

I have tried looking through the forum and have not read any reviews about the Heme Onc program at U C Davis. Any thoughts here?

Hello everybody.

I am very excited about this interview season. Not a ton of confidence but excited all the same.

Medical School: middle level MD program
Residency: community program, but a good one I think
USMLE scores: >80 on step 1 and 2. haven't taken step 3
LOR: excellent recs but not from well know docs
Personal Statement: lots of good feedback re: this; and I put a lot of effort into it
Research: I have my name on a couple publications but no first author. i spent 1 year in a research lab before starting med school.

Applied to 30 programs and hoping for a couple interviews.

If I don't get an interview or a position I am thinking of getting a PHD while I am working as a hospitalist, if that is even possible. Any comments?

Get PhD while working as a hospitalist?

To obtain a PhD in medical sciences, it takes a person whole 6 years!

It is not a piece of cake.

Get PhD while working as a hospitalist?

To obtain a PhD in medical sciences, it takes a person whole 6 years!

It is not a piece of cake.

I appreciate your pessimism but all programs are not the same.

Is UCSD, university of california, Sandiaego program??

Yes. It must be.

My biggest problem right now is that I am checking my email x20 a day. It is such a waste of time. I have email on my phone so it is too accessible.

I called up few programs today about updates on applications. Most of them replied that they are still reviewing apps and we should expect to hear from them in couple of weeks or at the most earlier next month..........And good news is that most of them also mentioned they they will let us know either ways.........hope its the good one......

I discovered I did not assign the MSPE/ MSPE equivalent letter till today !! I had top re-assign it to all programs yesterday. Will this have a major impact on when my application gets reveiwed? stupid mistake!