Hem/Onc fellowship application thread 2010-2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Strange silence indeed, maybe the people getting interviews are not on this forum.......

Members don't see this ad.

But its complete silence..not even rejections.. It just seems abnormally slower compared to past few years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who said you have to send out the rejections immediately :)

Ok some possible scenarios in descending order of likelihood

1- There is a mysterious virus that wiped out all hem/onc program coordinators or at least kept them at home

2- They are only interviewing Martians this year!

3- It is still too early

:confused::D

nothing today...with the silence over the past week, I applied to 9 more programs

I'll throw my anticipatory hat into the ring - haven't heard since last week, but seems early yet.

Interviews:
Farber
Georgetown
UCSF

Waiting:
Hopkins
Penn
Sloan Kettering
UMaryland

I'll throw my anticipatory hat into the ring - haven't heard since last week, but seems early yet.

Interviews:
Farber
Georgetown
UCSF

Waiting:
Hopkins
Penn
Sloan Kettering
UMaryland

Dude...you're going to make these kids heads explode.

Congrats on the IVs. You're going to be fine come May.

Interviews:
Farber
Georgetown
UCSF

Waiting:
Hopkins
Penn
Sloan Kettering
UMaryland

dan, you ARE the man!

I got Duke, UNC, east carolina, Baylor, Columbia so far, waiting for the others.

Interviews:
Farber
Georgetown
UCSF

Waiting:
Hopkins
Penn
Sloan Kettering
UMaryland

Internal UCSF candidate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have interviews from Baylor (Huston and Dallas), U Florida, Scott and White, Saint Luis MO.

Credentials: IMG, Citizen, Hospitalist, Good scores and LORS.

I have a question if some can help. Which months/time does most of the interviews occur? If I have to take two weeks vacations to schedule most of my interviews, is April first two weeks or March last two weeks, the right time?

It has been stressful to take time off while working:eek:. Any input will help me with confirming my vacation time is appreciated.

rejection email from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center just now :(

Interview Univ of MN today.
Rejections last 2 weeks- UCSD, DFCI, BIDMC, NW

Congrats Cherry 23. Today I recieved an interview from the University of Minnesota by email.

Thanks guys.. I hope there are more to come. N congrats on uni of minn n uni of Wisconsin. :)

Either is fine.

Thank you so much.

Another question.

When it comes to research each program is different. For candidates like me who applied widely to increase the chances of matching, will it hurt if our interest/ research experience is not the same as the program. In other words, how:confused::confused::confused::confused: do we handle the question about research interest.

Hi all,
Long time lurker, rare poster with an idea (not a novel one, though).
Perhaps it would be easier to review if we summarized the interview offers in a constantly-updated list, to which we each just add our offers as they come in (with a small note about our updates).
I'll start by summarizing this page, and we can all add from there.
Hope this helps.

Invites
Baylor (Dallas): pillu, 20122012 (please adjust if I messed up)
Baylor (Houston): pillu
Columbia: 20122012
DFCI: DantheMan05
Duke: 20122012
East Carolina: 20122012
Georgetown: DantheMan05
Saint Louis MO: pillu
Scott and White: pillu
UCSF: DantheMan05
U of Florida: pillu
U Iowa: yixa
U of Minn: cherry 23, onc12, oncoguy, threecoins
UNC: 20122012
U of Wisconsin: cherry 23, nats

Rejections
BIDMC, DFCI, NW, UCSD

Interviews:
------------------------
Advocate LUthern General (Illinois)
Baylor
BIDMC
Brown
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth-Hitchcock
Duke
Eastern Carolina
Fox Chase
Mount-Sinai
Moffitt
MD Anderson Satellite at Orlando
Oklahoma
U of Wisconsin
U of Minn
U of Iowa
UCSD
UC Davis
University of Chicago
University of Vermont
U of Michigan
University Of Iowa
UF- Gainesville
University of Oklahoma
Stanford
Tufts
Washington Hospital Center- DC

Known Rejections
-----------
BIDMC
Columbia
DFCI
Northwestern
UNC Chapel Hills
UTSW
University Of Iowa

When it comes to research each program is different.
True.

For candidates like me who applied widely to increase the chances of matching, will it hurt if our interest/ research experience is not the same as the program.

Only if you say something like "I'm interested in the role of miRNA expression in modulation of metastatic medullary thyroid cancer...and nothing else." There's nothing you can do about your research experience...it's past. If you can't find something interesting to work on in a particular place, you're not looking hard enough.

In other words, how do we handle the question about research interest.

Tell the truth...be a little vague. I said, "I'm interested in understanding mechanisms of development of metastatic malignancies and their treatment resistance." Which was true. And is what I'm working on. But I'm obviously much more specific in my current work than in that statement.

True.

Only if you say something like "I'm interested in the role of miRNA expression in modulation of metastatic medullary thyroid cancer...and nothing else." There's nothing you can do about your research experience...it's past. If you can't find something interesting to work on in a particular place, you're not looking hard enough.

Tell the truth...be a little vague. I said, "I'm interested in understanding mechanisms of development of metastatic malignancies and their treatment resistance." Which was true. And is what I'm working on. But I'm obviously much more specific in my current work than in that statement.

Great! I got the point. Thanks.

USC by email today.

Interviews so far:
USC, Cornell, UCSD.

Congrats to all getting IVs.

I have applied to 50+ programs, and heard back from one (rej from UTSW). Really starting to sweat now!! I am starting to think they are holding up all the rejections and will mail them out at once (yes, I am pessimistic). Anyone else with similar thoughts?

Just wondering, are you all getting IVs/rejections via your personal email, the eras message center or both?

Thanks oncoguy!
@Aspiring HemeOnc: The emails (interview and rejections alike) have been coming both to personal email as well as ERAS inbox.

I know.. I'm worried too. Just 1 iv and 6 rejections. My co-residents have 6-7 Ivs. It makes me think that it's my scores 88/91 n I haven't taken or mentioned step 3 in my app. :( there is nothing I can do about it now, I guess.

Why is it that when they send rejections it is early morning and when they send interviews it is late afternoon! Early AM rejections are depressing!. Yixa I know Uni Wa will get back to us today but I try not to think about it !!:xf: