Jan 4, 2020
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Good point! My chief actually was able to finish up his project while applying this past cycle. Chief year can be useful if you continue to do research. But still, I dont it will make or break an application if you already have good research and LORs

Last edited:

lulu09

7+ Year Member
May 1, 2010
Agree with all of the above. I was in contention for chief (didn't get it) but ended up working as a hospitalist (I had to take a gap year anyway due to personal reasons). I wrapped up a bunch of research that year (mostly 3rd year projects) in time for applications, had so much time off to travel/relax/sleep, paid off a ton of my loans with the $$$ hospitalist salary, and I felt I lost nothing by not being chief (wouldn't have done it if they offered it to me, in retrospect -- I think it helps a lot if you want to stay at your home institution for fellowship and later attending, but I wanted to get the heck out of there, lol).

mahmed1983

5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2014
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Future heme/onc applicant question: For an AMG at a mid-tier IM program in the south with a great supporting PD, will I need more research and publications in order to get good fellowship interview invites, including midwest, west coast and northeast? (Trying to break the southern program bias, if there is one) Or is a chief year enough?
My opinion is supporting PD for AMG is more than enough.

About the Ads

IM_applicant

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2016
Status
Medical Student
What can the supporting PD do, which research and LORs cannot?
Research is important for your application. If you can get it done it's helpful and for many of the competitive programs it's more important than a chief year. But without knowing what you've done and what your CV looks like it's tough to say anything beyond that. Good luck!

7+3

Mar 12, 2020
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
University of Louisville has an opening for a PGY-5 / second year hem/onc fellow starting July 2020.
If anyone currently in a PGY-4 position is interested, please message for further information.

7+3

Mar 12, 2020
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Update:

UofL Hem/Onc spot has been approved to be opened from July 2020 as a new PGY-4 or continuing PGY-5 position.

Anyone who is eligible and interested, please message!

About the Ads