Hematology/Oncology 2019-2020 Fellowship Season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, needed help ranking these programs from my list

University of Miami
University of Vermont
SLU, MO
West Virginia University
Westchester
Baystate UMMS

Thanks in advance! 2 days left, freaking out a little

Members don't see this ad :)
Reposting this for a friend who is not on SDN: Anyone have input?

Having a difficult time ranking these specific programs.

-NYP/Cornell
-Mayo Jacksonville
-Stonybrook
-UF Gainesville
-Northwell/LIJ

Thanks

Ugh I just got nervous :bucktooth:

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious - did everyone get another “thank you” - ish note from Duke ?

How to rank the following programs?

Uni of Nebraska
Uni of Miami
West Virginia University
University of Cincinnati

Hi again- I’ve tried this question before but I got no responses- any thoughts on Tulane I’m New Orleans- it was my first interview and I didn’t really ask all the questions I learned to ask later on the trail, also I was really nervous so hard to go by my impression- thanks and good luck to all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, needed help ranking these programs from my list

University of Miami
University of Vermont
SLU, MO
West Virginia University
Westchester
Baystate UMMS

Thanks in advance! 2 days left, freaking out a little

How would you compare WVU and SLU. I had interview at both these places and confused about ranking them !!

Long time lurker and very grateful for all the posts and this whole forum over the years. I can't believe I'm finally at this point in my life - ranking for my dream fellowships.

Interested in malignant heme, academics (clinical research - deciding clinical trials vs outcomes research). I've done research all while working in med school/residency/hospitalist gap year but never had any formal training so would be interested in classes, certificates, masters, etc. I've lived all over US (west coast, middle, and most recently east coast for residency) so we are flexible to go wherever. What I looked for on interview trail are good training for academic career and happy appearing fellows with good work-life balance

Current ranking in order - lots of programs that I feel couldn't go wrong. Appreciate any feedback esp @gutonc and @IMapplicant
----
UPenn - felt solid training all around, esp malig heme, nice to stay because lots of friends in area
Fred Hutch - felt solid training all around esp malig heme, high COL, family in West coast
U of Michigan - liked interview day a lot, favorite PD, happiest fellows
Duke - liked interview day a lot, seemed like a flexible program with happy fellow
Mayo - liked interview day a lot, great research and low COL, don't love middle of nowhere location or insane cold
Beth Isreal - high COL, nice to see education focus
Sloan Kettering - high COL, spouse hates NYC unfortunately
Yale
UNC
Colorado
Vanderbilt
UCSD
Hopkins - not a fan of the forced single boarding and had an interviewer tell my heme research topic wasn't interesting (thanks)
I agree. You cannot go wrong and your list is great. Congrats! I'm just a fellow applicant but it looks very reasonable to me. Like @DrumCondra says, you'll probably match at your first choice. Penn, Fred Hutch and MSKCC are all equivalent for malignant heme academics I would say. If I were looking to go into academic malignant heme I would put MSK much higher (like third if you don't love the city) but I understand your reason for not doing that. I would also probably rank Mayo above Duke (and Michigan) but again, the cold and the nowhere are valid arguments against doing that. Sounds like Hopkins rubbed you the wrong way. It's an amazing program but you have plenty of other very good options. Good luck!

How would you compare WVU and SLU. I had interview at both these places and confused about ranking them !!

I haven’t interviewed at neither. However, I have heard from a friend who is working at St. Louis Uni that they are short on faculty and have reduced their spots to 2 fellows instead of 3.

Would move Cincinnati over WVU and call it a day.

Do you have any information about Cincinnati? I felt they are short of disease focused faculty and a weak BMT program. However fellows were happy with the continuity clinic at VA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t interviewed at neither. However, I have heard from a friend who is working at St. Louis Uni that they are short on faculty and have reduced their spots to 2 fellows instead of 3.

SLU sent a message recently that it will be 3 positions this year

I’m finding it very hard to decide between those two programs too, might end up ranking SLU higher for the location (relatively, both aren’t too great but I’d pick st Louis over Morgantown)
SLU sent a message recently that it will be 3 positions this year
it’s really hard for me to tell these two programs apart but I’m leaning towards ranking SLU higher, mostly based on gut feeling

long time lurker, first time posting. Deciding between the following, in order for now. Know I am very privileged. Interested in translational research and immunotherapy. I know I can't go wrong just really struggling which to rank for top 3 and coming down to the wire...

MD Anderson- have family in area, low COL, tons of clinical research
Stanford- lots of friends here, tons to do, good program with ties to industry and biotech
UPenn- all around solid, wife already lived in Philly for many years so hesitant to move back
MSKCC- high COL, hard to do with a young child
UCSF
OHSU

Hi all, struggling with the game time decision. Thoughts about UTSW vs Stanford vs City of Hope? No clear order right now, because I keep changing them around q5min, but tentatively:

Stanford - fellows seemed happy, though high COL
CoH - faculty is so nice, great for malignant stuff, but little to no benign heme (I would prefer broad exposure during fellowship)
UTSW - well-rounded, PD responsive to changes, but not familiar with TX

I'm undifferentiated, though a bit more heme-leaning.

Hi all, struggling with the game time decision. Thoughts about UTSW vs Stanford vs City of Hope? No clear order right now, because I keep changing them around q5min, but tentatively:

Stanford - fellows seemed happy, though high COL
CoH - faculty is so nice, great for malignant stuff, but little to no benign heme (I would prefer broad exposure during fellowship)
UTSW - well-rounded, PD responsive to changes, but not familiar with TX

I'm undifferentiated, though a bit more heme-leaning.
As much as it pains me to say it (see my thoughts on TX sprinkled throughout SDN), you should probably move UTSW to 1 or 2 on that list.

That said, you'll probably do fine from any of those places.

Hey just wanna double confirm that if the application status shows "certified", it means rank order is certified. Right?

Good luck everyone.
We did our best. Now time to relax and wait for the big day!

Best of luck.
Thank you all who helped. Especially @gutonc @IM_applicant @ETA.

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you for your input. I agree with you that it's primarily the feel on the interview day and if you see yourself a well fit with everyone. Where would you put Rochester?

@gutonc your thoughts?
I matched where I felt i liked the culture gestalt gut feeling what have you. Program leadership turned out to be bat poop/guano crazy so ymmv

Reactions: 1 users
9 days to go! good luck to everyone. @gutonc, thanks for being there for applicants year in year out. Apparently Cincinnati said they take 4 every year but a look at the quota on NRMP gives their quota as 3. Anyone else noticed this?

9 days to go! good luck to everyone. @gutonc, thanks for being there for applicants year in year out. Apparently Cincinnati said they take 4 every year but a look at the quota on NRMP gives their quota as 3. Anyone else noticed this?
Yes, that means they have taken one internal. I think they had a fast tracker.

Hey guys,

Long time lurker. Didn’t respond much because I didn’t have much to offer that others didn’t already say. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. You guys have been great. Best of luck to everyone.

Reactions: 5 users
Good luck tomorrow everyone. T minus 27 hours!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck guys, just over 3hrs to go. Please let’s not forget to come back to this forum and say whether and where we matched and our experience on the trail for the benefit of future applicants. All the best once again!

I matched, Arizona. Congrats to all who matched and best wishes for those who didn’t

Match Nr 4 on my list, IMG, community hospital, chief, applied 28 programs, went 7 interviews. This year seems very competitive and AMG preference. But I am happy with the result and thanks everyone for encouraging each other.

Matched in Brooklyn Methodist Hospital. Thank you so much for this forum and people who helped each other.

IMG. GC holder. Small community program, chief resident during 3rd year. Applied to 35 program got 4 interviews. Matched at no.2 although it was way better than my number 1 (chose it for geographic preference)

IMG, GC, community hospital, went to 16 interviews, matched at No. 1! Moffitt! Hi there all co-fellows!

IMG, H1B, 5 interviews, matched at my #4. There is hope for H1B holders!

Last edited:
IMG, J1 visa, PGY4(Hosp/Palliative fellowship), ranked 10 programs, matched to my #2 choice program :)

US MD, chief resident, mid-tier program, step scores 248, 265, and 245, only some research.
Interviewed at 15 places, matched at my #2. My 3rd and 4th ranked were more competitive but I liked the feel of my number 2 better. So maybe I would matched #4 if I ranked in the traditional way.
:happy:

Last edited:
US DO, Chief, small community hospital with university ties. Interviewed at 6 places, matched my #2. (Couldn’t be happier, even if I matched #1).

Thank you guys, you have been a great help and support in this process.

US MD here (not a chief), at a top 10-15 residency program. Interviewed at 14 places, matched at #1 but honestly would have been happy with any of my top 4-5. I fiddled with my rank list a lot, including my #1, and appreciated all the input I received on this board. All of my co-residents who applied to onc this year also got into their top choice, so we really lucked out. Congrats to all who matched yesterday, and good luck to everyone trying next year!

Last edited:
You all need to start naming names or just GTFO.

I’ll own up, matched at Baylor! I’m excited :) but also a little nervous about the workload. Congrats to all who matched and best of luck in the future to those who were not so fortunate this year!

I’ll own up, matched at Baylor! I’m excited :) but also a little nervous about the workload. Congrats to all who matched and best of luck in the future to those who were not so fortunate this year!
Congrats! Maybe we met during the interview there. It’s a good program.

Congrats its a decent program.

I know residents and fellows at Baylor. It is insanely busy, continuity clinic twice a week with up to I heard 10 Or 13 patients that run till the evening. Very busy inpatient services, 3 - 4 months of BMT and the fellows are primary and not even a month for research the first 2 years or a guarantee of a research year.

I felt like they rode on the name of the college of medicine and basic research going on there and no real opportunities for fellows to build an academic career.

But everyone was nice and hard working and the training is great and diverse