Hematology/Oncology 2020-2021 Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, when do you think interview notifications will be sent out by programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Next week I'm sure some of the better applicants will start receiving some. But it's going to take some time to sort though it. I bet there are more applications per program than in years past.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations everyone for taking this step forward. I have been following heme onc thread for past few years. Very informative and collegial. Hoping for a great year.
I finished residency in IM in 2014, didn't match in heme onc. Went on to do fellowship in transfusion medicine. Had some family obligations and joined oncology hospitalist at big name academic institution. had to pick up a lot of extra shifts to meet financial needs.

Med school : Carribbeans
USMLE Scores: 207/225/pass/210
Residency: Community program - 0 publication, 3 posters
Fellowship: internationally known institution - published 3 peer reviewed papers. 5 poster presentations nationally and international.

As a hospitalist: did some healthcare disparity research, 1 ASH poster. No publications in heme onc. 1 peer reviewed publication this yr in general medicine and 1 editorial. Presented at CME's nationally and internationally on the topic of transfusion medicine. Working on 2 projects that may not be published soon.

Applied to 70 heme onc programs since I have seen lower usmle scores come up quite often as a screening tool.

Pretty nervous about my chances. Will see how this year goes.

Exposure to onc helps as you been a onc hospitalist. Your experience in medicine can help and transfusion medicine is, in a way, hematology. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, when do you think interview notifications will be sent out by programs?
I heard from a couple programs after submitting my application that all interviews will be invited by Sept 1st.

I heard from a couple programs after submitting my application that all interviews will be invited by Sept 1st.

I got an acknowledgment email from Uni of Washington. Haven't heard from any other programs yet.

I got an acknowledgment email from Uni of Washington. Haven't heard from any other programs yet.

I haven't heard from any other programs too, not even acknowledgement.

I heard from some of my friends that they have receive rejection from Newark Beth Israel.

Exposure to onc helps as you been a onc hospitalist. Your experience in medicine can help and transfusion medicine is, in a way, hematology. Best of luck.

thank you. Fingers crossed

Anyone interested in having a google sheets collab document to mark which programs you’ve heard from? I remember we had one of those going for residency application, and basically we knew exactly what every program was doing.

• Hmm
Anyone interested in having a google sheets collab document to mark which programs you’ve heard from? I remember we had one of those going for residency application, and basically we knew exactly what every program was doing.

I will be down.

Sounds great. I am in.

I am down

Any invites? I heard some other fellowship programs started sending invites

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm down

Where’s all those invites? Cards is already loading up.

I got anonymous tip from someone - AMG - interview at Yale.

I received an email notification from Duke Heme/Onc Program, they will begin sending out notifications on August 28th, 2020.

"This email serves as notification that your application has been received and is currently under review. Interview notifications will begin Friday August 28th, 2020"

So stay tuned....

I received an email notification from Duke Heme/Onc Program, they will begin sending out notifications on August 28th, 2020.

"This email serves as notification that your application has been received and is currently under review. Interview notifications will begin Friday August 28th, 2020"

So stay tuned....

beat me to it. Guess I can wait another week and a half.
Received another acknowledgment from Michigan; no hard dates given but nice to see some email chatter at least?

Last edited:
It's just going to take time to sort through things especially when they (likely) have received more applications this year.

It's just going to take time to sort through things especially when they (likely) have received more applications this year.

Anecdotal reports on twitter from a few pulm crit PDs have been that they have received roughly 25% more applications compared to previous cycles. Havent seen any data from Heme/ Onc side but I suspect probably similar trends

Anecdotal reports on twitter from a few pulm crit PDs have been that they have received roughly 25% more applications compared to previous cycles. Havent seen any data from Heme/ Onc side but I suspect probably similar trends

Yeah that seems about reasonable. Gonna be a weird, tough cycle this year for sure especially with travel limitations. I wonder if programs increase their interview slots by ~25-30%

University of Michigan acknowledgment. They will email invites by mid -September.

AMG, lots of research w/ multiple first authors during residency, residency at NYU, lots of interesting extracurriculars, good letters from what I've been told, above average steps, board certified, no interviews yet.

Don't worry guys, this cycle is going to be weird, programs will probably get back to us later than usual, we're in the middle of a global once in a lifetime pandemic, just chill out and give it some time. @the person whose friend of a friend got an interview at Yale, good for them (maybe?) but most of the PDs and aPDs I know got pretty caught up with COVID stuff, so they're a bit behind on reading applications, and I personally can't blame them. The folks I know at MD Anderson are so caught up in trying to figure out how to care for the sudden tidal wave of medicine patients that's storming their gates that they haven't really given too much thought into reviewing apps yet. So relax, have a drink, put on a movie, and chill; this is gonna be a weird one.

AMG, lots of research w/ multiple first authors during residency, residency at NYU, lots of interesting extracurriculars, good letters from what I've been told, above average steps, board certified, no interviews yet.

Don't worry guys, this cycle is going to be weird, programs will probably get back to us later than usual, we're in the middle of a global once in a lifetime pandemic, just chill out and give it some time. @the person whose friend of a friend got an interview at Yale, good for them (maybe?) but most of the PDs and aPDs I know got pretty caught up with COVID stuff, so they're a bit behind on reading applications, and I personally can't blame them. The folks I know at MD Anderson are so caught up in trying to figure out how to care for the sudden tidal wave of medicine patients that's storming their gates that they haven't really given too much thought into reviewing apps yet. So relax, have a drink, put on a movie, and chill; this is gonna be a weird one.
Heyy thank you for the motivational message- I know all the above and statistically speaking you are right. However, im still nervous lol
Uncertainty of 2020 events adds extra anxiety to the process that is already nerve wracking.
Good luck to everyone.

Gundersen Health System - "All of our interviews will be virtual this year. We are currently reviewing applications and hope to have invitations sent out within the next several weeks"

Got an invite this afternoon from LSUHSC, New Orleans.

Interview Invitations/Rejections
(Please bold the new interviews added to keep track of changes)

Invitations:

Northwestern 8/17***
SIU 8/18*
Yale 8/18*
BIDMC 8/14*
LSU 8/18*
Thomas Jefferson 8/18*, 8/18**
Texas Tech - Lubbock 8/18***

Rejections:
Beth Israel

* USMD

**DO
*** IMG does not need a visa
**** IMG needs a visa

Rejections

Invitations:

Northwestern 8/17***
SIU 8/18*
Yale 8/18*
BIDMC 8/14*
LSU 8/18*

Rejections:
Beth Israel

* USMD

**DO
**** IMG needs a visa

Rejections
There is a spreadsheet created earlier this weak.

There is a spreadsheet created earlier this weak.

Does "email" mean the interview invite was sent directly from the program to your personal email? And does ERAS mean the interview invite was sent from noreply ERAS?

In my opinion the spreadsheet seems cumbersome, routes you through Facebook, requires you to check a different website and doesn't have any benefit as compared to the way SDN usually does interview invite threads.

Invitations:

Northwestern 8/17***
SIU 8/18*
Yale 8/18*
BIDMC 8/14*
LSU 8/18*
Memorial Health (Hollywood) 8/19*

Rejections:
Beth Israel

* USMD

**DO
**** IMG needs a visa

Invitations:

Northwestern 8/17***
SIU 8/18*
Yale 8/18*
BIDMC 8/14*
LSU 8/18*, 8/18***

Rejections:
Beth Israel

* USMD

**DO
**** IMG needs a visa

Invitations:

Northwestern 8/17***
SIU 8/18*
Yale 8/18*
BIDMC 8/14*
LSU 8/18*, 8/18***
Dartmouth-Hitchcock 8/18*

Rejections:
Beth Israel

* USMD
**DO
**** IMG needs a visa

If you guys don't mind, the format being used by the other specialties looks neater and easy to follow.

USMD
BIDMC 8/14
SIU 8/18
Yale 8/18
LSU 8/18
Thomas Jefferson 8/18
Dartmouth-Hitchcock 8/18
University of Cincinnati 8/19
University of Colorado 8/19

DO
Thomas Jefferson 8/18

IMG does not need a visa