Hematology/Oncology 2020-2021 Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG not needing visa and average application -one iv so far

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Late entry but received interview invites from SLU on 8/18 and SIU on 8/19.

I am a US MD AMG.

Last edited:
Do programs like Duke or Vanderbilt send interview invitations in waves? Or is it pretty reasonable to assume that no interview invitation by this point is a de facto rejection?

Do programs like Duke or Vanderbilt send interview invitations in waves? Or is it pretty reasonable to assume that no interview invitation by this point is a de facto rejection?

It seems like in previous years, the majority of invites are with the first wave, but invites definitely trickle in at later dates. So there will likely be more invites, but in less quantities as the season progresses.

Thanks for the reply - I wonder if that will hold true for this cycle since candidates have no incentive to cancel interviews regardless of intention to matriculate at said program. One can only hope!

Reactions: 1 user

The majority of invites come in the first wave. In a typical year fewer people cancel the more competitive programs (e.g. Duke + Vanderbilt), and more people cancel the less competitive programs (e.g. University of Tennessee + Wake Forest) which gives some applicants a very realistic shot at the latter programs from 2nd round, and later, invites. That's not to say you've got no shot at getting a 2nd round invite from somewhere like Duke, but obviously you're lower on their radar than everyone else who got a first round invite, though who knows maybe they sent out 50 invites and you were number 51 on their list. Good luck.

I matched to my program from the second wave of invites, FWIW. I did feel like I had particularly good interviews there, probably because I didn't really expect to match there so I didn't care as much :p

Is it a good idea to send an email to a PD detailing why a particular program is a great fit for me if that program has already given out first wave and I want a chance at the 2nd wave?

Is it a good idea to send an email to a PD detailing why a particular program is a great fit for me if that program has already given out first wave and I want a chance at the 2nd wave?

Probably won’t be of much help and may be perceived as annoying. Programs are likely delayed and already have enough emails to sort through from the ones they are asking for interview preferences.

I say if a program has already sent out their big wave (meaning most of their slots are probably filled), I think you have nothing to lose. Worst case, you don't get the interview which you probably weren't going to get anyways. Best case they review your app again and throw you an IV if someone cancels. Would hold off for a little longer for programs that haven't sent too many invites yet to avoid looking impatient.

IMG need visa here.
Anxiously waiting for more interviews.
How do you guys define strong/fair application? Publications? USMLE scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
And I fear that the "second wave" thing is less likely to happen this year.
The later interviews are from people cancelling their interviews. And this year everything is going to be virtual so people won't be cancelling a lot I reckon.

But I guess programs recognize that also and might interview more people per position??

My guess is that you'll see programs increase their IV spots by a similar percentage increase of which they received applications. You'll probably see a slight fewer amount of people cancel this year but also think that there will be a fair amount of cancellations. Even if you aren't travelling, trying to have tons of interviews can still be difficult

IMG need visa here.

At least you have interviews and waiting for more
IMG needing visa here with no interviews and still waiting

IMG need visa here.

I think everything matters but where you went to med school, where you did residency, and the quality of your LORs are probably the most important.

Or will there be more unmatched positions this year ?

That's what I'm thinking. If it's the same people interviewing at a lot of places there may be more unfilled slots this year. Unless of course programs offer proportionately more interviews.

My guess is that you'll see programs increase their IV spots by a similar percentage increase of which they received applications. You'll probably see a slight fewer amount of people cancel this year but also think that there will be a fair amount of cancellations. Even if you aren't travelling, trying to have tons of interviews can still be difficult

Yeah this is true but it's also not very difficult to Zoom for a few hours from your couch. This year is going to be interesting.

That's what I'm thinking. If it's the same people interviewing at a lot of places there may be more unfilled slots this year. Unless of course programs offer proportionately more interviews.
Do you all really think PDs aren't considering this and adjusting their interview strategy accordingly?

Ok when do I start panicking? AMG with strong step scores and good research applied broadly only a few interviews....what is up with this year? Im scared.

IMG without any visa needs. Only 1 interview so far. I'm panicking. Applied broadly.

Only about 1/4 of programs on the spreadsheet. I think we are a big wave next week after September 1. My home program hasn't done anything yet

Ok when do I start panicking? AMG with strong step scores and good research applied broadly only a few interviews....what is up with this year? Im scared.

Definitely need to start panicking....Haha
I have no interview but I'm still positive. I hope I will get it soon.
Stay strong and be positive!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone,

Created an anonymous poll to see how many interviews folks have so far (and to feel less alone in the process lol)

When you vote you'll be able to see the results. Your vote will only ever be counted once so come back periodically to vote again and see results.

Reactions: 1 users
I am already panicking, hope next week brings in good luck and interviews with it.

Do you all really think PDs aren't considering this and adjusting their interview strategy accordingly?

Yes, of course they are considering this. But according to some PDs on social media, programs have gotten 25-50% more applications this year but are not planning on offering more interviews than they usually do due to time constraints. Other than being more selective by inviting candidates who are more likely to rank their program, which doesn't necessarily solve the problem of the same people interviewing at many places, I'm not sure what other strategies they have? Relying on contacts / personal recommendations? Inviting mostly local candidates?

Our program (large academic) saw about a 25% increase in apps (probably easier to apply broadly because everything is virtual). It's a good question how the selection committee is going to pick who to interview. I'm not on the selection committee but they are going to try to really figure out whether applicants are serious about coming here or whether they're just casting a wide net. I suspect we may just end up with a lot of regional matches at the end, though.

has anyone received interview date confirmation from UW?

Also wondering this; quite a few Midwest academic programs that I'm waiting and hoping to hear back from! Wisconsin (both MCW and UW) and Nebraska are ones I'm hoping to see soon, hadn't seen anything about them yet

I think kiki2020 is talking about the University of Washington, LotsaLove.

Received University of Rochester interview invitation today.

Also wondering this; quite a few Midwest academic programs that I'm waiting and hoping to hear back from! Wisconsin (both MCW and UW) and Nebraska are ones I'm hoping to see soon, hadn't seen anything about them yet
I was talking about university of Washington, sorry if it was not clear.

Yes, of course they are considering this. But according to some PDs on social media, programs have gotten 25-50% more applications this year but are not planning on offering more interviews than they usually do due to time constraints. Other than being more selective by inviting candidates who are more likely to rank their program, which doesn't necessarily solve the problem of the same people interviewing at many places, I'm not sure what other strategies they have? Relying on contacts / personal recommendations? Inviting mostly local candidates?

I wonder how they'll figure out if the applicant is more likely to rank a certain program?

yes you should do it!

Has any one received email from Zuker program Long Island?

Would love to hear thoughts from any DO applicants - I'm at a mid-tier academic program. It sounds like IM program "ranking" and research are king, letters are important, and a chief year may or may not be valuable depending on the program director. Thoughts?

Also a DO candidate. Feel free to message me!

I am closely following this thread to see, How over all Interviews invitations are happening to everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown invite - USMD. Still not sure if we're using the spreadsheet or the quoted list...

What do you guys think about city of hope? I saw on US news and world report it was listed as number 11 for a cancer hospitals, but I have never heard of it. What other programs is it comparable to in terms of quality/ prestige?

What do you guys think about city of hope? I saw on US news and world report it was listed as number 11 for a cancer hospitals, but I have never heard of it. What other programs is it comparable to in terms of quality/ prestige?

Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.