Hematology/Oncology 2020-2021 Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DO here — received an interview invite from SIU yesterday. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
USMD
BIDMC 8/14
SIU 8/18
Yale 8/18
LSU 8/18
Thomas Jefferson 8/18
Dartmouth-Hitchcock 8/18
University of Cincinnati 8/19
University of Colorado 8/19
Memorial Health (Hollywood) 8/19

USDO
Thomas Jefferson 8/18
SIU 8/18

IMG does not need a visa
Northwestern 8/17
Texas Tech, Lubbock, Tx 8/18
LSU 8/18

IMG needs a visa

Rejection
UNC 8/19
BIDMC

Reactions: 1 user
Hey so we need to pick if we are doing either the spreadsheet or the in forum list as they're starting to diverge. It really doesn't matter and either one works.

I had no idea that the link I posted would route through facebook ( I had to send it to myself for a second) so here is a more direct link without that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
US DO, matched last year at St. Joseph's Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor Michigan. Really love the program, looking forward to meeting some of you guys on the interview trail. I know my program is just starting to review the applications now. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey so we need to pick if we are doing either the spreadsheet or the in forum list as they're starting to diverge. It really doesn't matter and either one works.

I had no idea that the link I posted would route through facebook ( I had to send it to myself for a second) so here is a more direct link without that.

I like the spreadsheet more

Guys who got an invite from U of Cincinnati, did the PC confirm your day?

I did. Haven't heard back yet

Rutgers RWJ 8/21 US MD sent by email, uses interview broker

Does the AMG interviews mean that for those programs, IMGs might not get reviewed and not receive interviews later?

Also, if program sent a rejection but if one doesn’t get it, can we expect an interview later?

Does the AMG interviews mean that for those programs, IMGs might not get reviewed and not receive interviews later?

Also, if program sent a rejection but if one doesn’t get it, can we expect an interview later?
Many programs are mainly interested in AMGs. These programs may not even acknowledge your application if they are not extending you an invitation. From the list above though, it seems majority of programs are only beginning to review applications.

USMD
BIDMC 8/14
SIU 8/18
Yale 8/18
LSU 8/18
Thomas Jefferson 8/18
Dartmouth-Hitchcock 8/18

USDO
Thomas Jefferson 8/18
SIU 8/18

IMG does not need a visa
Northwestern 8/17
LSU 8/18
BIDMC 8/21

IMG needs a visa

Rejection
UNC 8/19
BIDMC

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone able to get on ERAS on their cell phone? Is there a browser that works?

thanks, must be my phone acting weird

I am getting really worried.
IMG needing visa with fairly strong profile

still no interviews

AMG here with upper tier med school and residency. Average step 1 but poor step 2 and 3 scores. Lots of research. No interviews yet. Hopefully it's still early in the season.

AMG here with upper tier med school and residency. Average step 1 but poor step 2 and 3 scores. Lots of research. No interviews yet. Hopefully it's still early in the season.

I’m part of the faculty recruitment committee at a large academic NYC hem/Onc fellowship program and we just got assigned our apps to review not offering IVs until end of next week or first week of sept

Reactions: 8 users
I’m part of the faculty recruitment committee at a large academic NYC hem/Onc fellowship program and we just got assigned our apps to review not offering IVs until end of next week or first week of sept

Do you know if your program filters based on step 2 or step 3 scores? I took step 2 after residency apps/interviews so I barely studied for it and I treated step 3 as a pass/fail test. Obviously I regret that now but just wondering how big of a role these 2 tests play if I check the boxes for everything else.

Do you know if your program filters based on step 2 or step 3 scores? I took step 2 after residency apps/interviews so I barely studied for it and I treated step 3 as a pass/fail test. Obviously I regret that now but just wondering how big of a role these 2 tests play if I check the boxes for everything else.

I do not believe we do. We review all ~500 applicants we get

I do not believe we do. We review all ~500 applicants we get

Thanks for that information. Anyone know if 500 applications per program is the norm? I ask because I’m trying to understand the numbers better. The interviews I received said that they interview about 100 people per year, and have 4-6 slots. With ~150 programs, I assume there would be about 400 slots total, and 80ish people would go to a top 20 program.

Anyone have reported numbers on annual applicants, number of matches, unmatched, etc? I am surprised only 500 per program.

Thanks for that information. Anyone know if 500 applications per program is the norm? I ask because I’m trying to understand the numbers better. The interviews I received said that they interview about 100 people per year, and have 4-6 slots. With ~150 programs, I assume there would be about 400 slots total, and 80ish people would go to a top 20 program.

Anyone have reported numbers on annual applicants, number of matches, unmatched, etc? I am surprised only 500 per program.

We interview ~60-80 applicants per year depending on how many slots we have. Roughly 15-25 applicants per slot

There are roughly 550 spots per year for hem/onc

Thank you for easing the anxiety a bit. Was wondering if being an IMG (many train in community programs) is a huge disadvantage especially if you have good research and good overall scores?

You are overthinking this but I remember being an applicant and doing the same thing. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole the NRMP keeps fellowship match data for you to lose your mind on ;) . This year is going to be particularly weird I think because the cost of interviewing at any program has gone down from ~$400 (flight + hotel) to ~$20 (application fee), I think it will be interesting to look at the data some years from now if/when it comes out.

Thank you for easing the anxiety a bit. Was wondering if being an IMG (many train in community programs) is a huge disadvantage especially if you have good research and good overall scores?

Yes, but becomes less of a disadvantage if you have GREAT research and great LORs etc

Reactions: 1 users
Hello every one, below average step 1 score did well in step 2 and step3. All first attempt. Good research and 6 publications including ATS and ASCO. 3 years out of residency. Stayed active with research activity. IMG not requiring visa.. what are my chances? Bit worried. No Ivs so far

It's going to be a weird year for sure. No reason for people to be worried right now, apps haven't even been out 2 weeks now. I'm saying this as an average to below average candidate. It's going to heat up the next 2-3 weeks I'm betting

Just wanted to say Happy Monday guys! Whatever happens, doesn’t change who we are as people and physicians.

USMD
BIDMC 8/14
SIU 8/18
Yale 8/18
LSU 8/18
Thomas Jefferson 8/18
Dartmouth-Hitchcock 8/18

USDO
Thomas Jefferson 8/18
SIU 8/18

IMG does not need a visa
Northwestern 8/17
LSU 8/18
BIDMC 8/21
Yale 8/24

IMG needs a visa

Rejection
UNC 8/19
BIDMC

Just wanted to say Happy Monday guys! Whatever happens, doesn’t change who we are as people and physicians.

HAPPY MONDAY!!!! stay positive, stay strong, keep dreaming, work hard! dreams come true!

Hello every one, below average step 1 score did well in step 2 and step3. All first attempt. Good research and 6 publications including ATS and ASCO. 3 years out of residency. Stayed active with research activity. IMG not requiring visa.. what are my chances? Bit worried. No Ivs so far
In a similar situation as well. How many programs did you apply to?

USMD
BIDMC 8/14
SIU 8/18
Yale 8/18
LSU 8/18
Thomas Jefferson 8/18
Dartmouth-Hitchcock 8/18

USDO
Thomas Jefferson 8/18
SIU 8/18

IMG does not need a visa
Northwestern 8/17
LSU 8/18
BIDMC 8/21
Yale 8/24

IMG needs a visa

Rejection
UNC 8/19
BIDMC
Got from Mofitt, unable to edit

For those of you who got Duke invite today, are you emailing them your papers with your preferred dates or are you going to wait for them to give your interview date before you email them your papers for review?

For those of you who got Duke invite today, are you emailing them your papers with your preferred dates or are you going to wait for them to give your interview date before you email them your papers for review?

I’m going to send them the papers in a week or two.

having trouble scheduling with UK through thalamus..anyone else having the same problem??

Seeing everyone getting IVs but nothing coming to my side!
Should I start getting worried?

IMG, require visa, residency in community hospital, step 1 250s, step 2 260s, step 3 230s with a lot of publications.

IMG, require visa, residency in community hospital, step 1 250s, step 2 260s, step 3 230s with a lot of publications.

Im guessing most of the interviews will start coming in next couple weeks. keep your hopes up and wish you all the best of luck

Just looking at the spreadsheet, about 28-29 programs have been heard from out of > 150 and there will probably be a couple of waves. Wouldn't worry about anything yet

Two questions...

1) what is up with the institutions with only 1 or 2 people reporting they received interviews (like NIH or Farber)

2) besides registering for NRMP and paying the fee and updating ERAS, does anything else need to be done?

Two questions...

1) what is up with the institutions with only 1 or 2 people reporting they received interviews (like NIH or Farber)

2) besides registering for NRMP and paying the fee and updating ERAS, does anything else need to be done?

Not sure about NIH but some programs might select from within first. My home program heavily favors in-house residents and has not sent any invites yet.

USMD
BIDMC 8/14
SIU 8/18
Yale 8/18
LSU 8/18
Thomas Jefferson 8/18
Dartmouth-Hitchcock 8/18
Tufts 8/24

USDO