Hematology/Oncology 2021-2022 Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, for ERAS application, are you guys putting the medical observership under volunteer experience? (Within 5 years). I’ve heard different opinions. Some say that as it’s not Heme-onc related, I should not put it. Some say that as those are clinical experiences, I should keep them. 🤷‍♀️
To be honest, I'm not sure there's much benefit in listing an observership; you're a resident, so your clinical exposure isn't in question. Did you want to keep it because it demonstrated a connection to a specific hospital or mentor?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, for ERAS application, are you guys putting the medical observership under volunteer experience? (Within 5 years). I’ve heard different opinions. Some say that as it’s not Heme-onc related, I should not put it. Some say that as those are clinical experiences, I should keep them. 🤷‍♀️
I am listing everything. They can choose and pick at whatever they want to look at, I don't think its hard to navigate through application.

Reactions: 1 user
To be honest, I'm not sure there's much benefit in listing an observership; you're a resident, so your clinical exposure isn't in question. Did you want to keep it because it demonstrated a connection to a specific hospital or mentor?
Not really actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, my LOR from PD is still EFDO, and it will not be ready on July 21st. I think the latest it will be done processing is this Friday. Do you think this will hurt my chance a lot? What should I do? Thanks!
I am a hard-working resident from community hospital with average CV.

Not really actually.
Eh, well, I don't think it matters much either way. When I was applying for residency, I listed an observership I'd had as a med student, but I deleted it for this round of applications. If it was meaningful and/or HO-relevant, I think it would be totally reasonable to include it. Basically, don't worry too much. It's not going to be the thing that makes-or-breaks your application, IMHO.

Hi guys, my LOR from PD is still EFDO, and it will not be ready on July 21st. I think the latest it will be done processing is this Friday. Do you think this will hurt my chance a lot? What should I do? Thanks!
To be honest, I think that PDs expect these kinds of things. It happens to applicants every single year. I don't think this is worth worrying about either. Nothing you can do about it anyway, haha. Best of luck to you this cycle!

Submit before July 21 anyways. The letter will come eventually and you’ll get invited no matter what. The programs know that letter will come

Eh, well, I don't think it matters much either way. When I was applying for residency, I listed an observership I'd had as a med student, but I deleted it for this round of applications. If it was meaningful and/or HO-relevant, I think it would be totally reasonable to include it. Basically, don't worry too much. It's not going to be the thing that makes-or-breaks your application, IMHO.

To be honest, I think that PDs expect these kinds of things. It happens to applicants every single year. I don't think this is worth worrying about either. Nothing you can do about it anyway, haha. Best of luck to you this cycle!
Thank you very much! You too!

who applied to g-dub? anybody know why they were and then suddenly were not accepting applications? i asked for a refund :shifty:

who applied to g-dub? anybody know why they were and then suddenly were not accepting applications? i asked for a refund :shifty:
I did and I was cheesed about it, lol. No idea why they withdrew, sadly. Let us know if you get your money back!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite to Yale today. USMD

Reactions: 5 users
No word on my end other than an acknowledgement UW/FHRC downloaded my app. Congrats to those with IVs!

ETA: Presumably, everyone who applied got this email, but on the off chance that you missed it, it says that UW will start offering IVs in mid-August.

Last edited:
Just two acknowledgements so far: UW/FH and Gundersen.

Acknowledgement email from UMich this morning.

Acknowledgement email from UMich this morning.
same..im split about these acknowledgement emails 😆 its like "thank you for your interest............."
(v tach run)
"jk, just sayin we got your stuff! might call you later, maybe." lolll

in general, the messages likely mean beans but i appreciate the courtesy tho.

Has anyone made a Google spreadsheet for this year yet? Don't want to recreate work if there's already one floating around.

This is the one from last year--https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xZdR0cBpmCP0PZlnpEs9mYicF25hgicPWsxfSNIPgro/edit?fbclid=IwAR3eb0XgqxQE1qhBmgEC1cDiXGMvGS_kDx9AK5Gs7ZkgNX0zFaFshqLg3f8#gid=1725042759

Maybe someone who's good at Google can update it?

Here is a link for a Google sheet for 2021-2022 Heme Onc Application cycle:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bxz9RSN6AcLPu3Typ90OR2E6mwG9v6ALH4a4miwwRLk/edit?usp=sharing

Please edit/update as helpful.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
also @Galatumumab ...

curious, do the program sites not post online that they require visas for IMGs, so that applicants know before spending money? excuse my ignorance, i know nothing about these things.
Hey, they do. This is per their website *The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill only accepts J1 visas and permanent residents. I'm on a J1 visa.

Hey, they do. This is per their website *The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill only accepts J1 visas and permanent residents. I'm on a J1 visa.
well that seems...like they need a new webmaster. what a pain. sorry to hear it and best to you.

US-IMG not requiring a visa, however got rejected from both University North Carolina and Beth Israel, do they just straight up reject IMGs?

also @Galatumumab ...

curious, do the program sites not post online that they require visas for IMGs, so that applicants know before spending money? excuse my ignorance, i know nothing about these things.
2 points.
1. We have no idea if the visa requiring IMGs were rejected because of that status, or in spite of that status.
2. Institutions sponsor visas. But that doesn't mean that programs at those institutions are required to interview/rank applicants who need a visa. So even if UNC's Hem/Onc program doesn't interview applicants that need visas, UNC's policy is still what it is and is correct on the website.

Thank you NewOnc!
This is very much appreciated. That is typically the way of these posts.

I am in a similar boat

Reposting a comment I made from last years cycle because I feel it is still relevant:

"Posting this early to help the nerves of those with less than stellar CVs:

I am a Carribean grad with 230s for both step scores. Little to nothing in the way of research aside from local conference case presentations. No grants. Never published. No away or audition electives. I went to a community program without a fellowship. I am a first generation doc with no physician-friends/family with any influence. No chief year. I did have good LORs because I did multiple elective rotations and grew to know the docs at my institution well. In general(or at least on paper) I am an average to below average candidate and I matched at my first choice program in the Northeast and I couldn't be happier.

I am posting this because several colleagues will post their impressive credentials in the days and weeks to come. And it will seems like everyone is interviewing at "top tier" programs and has 20 interviews. Seeing this last year I was riddled with anxiety all season thinking that I was not good enough. It even made me depressed at times. I just want you to be confident in yourself and your choice. It can happen for you if you want it. Feel free to PM me with any questions."

Hello all,

I am applying for heme onc, but I also want to know about back up plans. My hopes are a bit rained on this year, but I want to see if I can do maybe a BMT fellowship for a year if I don't match.

Has anyone done this before? And if so, where do you recommend applying. Sicne this is not through ERAS I've been a bit lost

US-IMG not requiring a visa, however got rejected from both University North Carolina and Beth Israel, do they just straight up reject IMGs?
I didn’t apply to UNC, so I can’t speak to them. I was not officially rejected from BIDMC despite being an IMG (but have not been offered an interview or anything). No visa requirements. I do think that being an IMG is something of a hindrance for us, unfortunately. Hard to know how much is auto-rejection.

IMG on J1, community hospital, good CV.
Anyone know what is the ideal time for IVs this year? I applied on Friday because I didn’t have my program LOR. If we need to look for backup options?

IMG on J1, community hospital, good CV.
Anyone know what is the ideal time for IVs this year? I applied on Friday because I didn’t have my program LOR. If we need to look for backup options?
What do you mean? If asking when programs interview it’s mostly August-October. For anyone else reading planning to apply next year do not wait to apply waiting for your LORs to be uploaded. Programs know the letters will come. Apply before the release date (this year July 21st). Otherwise your application is submitted later than the vast majority of applications.

IV from Memorial Healthcare System (7/28) - Non-US IMG - Needs visa

Reactions: 5 users
Why do I keep refreshing my inbox as though it’ll make IVs come faster?

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Same here! Looking at the spreadsheet looks like programs are taking a bit longer to review apps this year. I wonder too if some are still debating virtual vs hybrid. In any case, not much to do but wait!

I’m starting to fire up my switch to distract me from my quiet email.
Hope everyone can try and find some relaxation during this process!

lolll saaaame

me, q2-3h: check gmail inbox, check gmail spam, check ERAS site, check SDN thread, check SDN excel. masochist on mobile.

...im going for a movie (lemme check the spreadsheet first) :lol:

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone else getting waitlisted already?

Meme Reaction GIF by Silicon Valley

• Care
Status
Not open for further replies.