Hematology/Oncology 2021-2022 Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did either of you end up asking about virtual?
Yes. One program did reply saying the virtual option is available, and I chose that.

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor PD sent "Thank you" email post interview for interviewing with them, and sent some more general information about their program. Is it for every body? just trying to feel more "special" and optimistic. Lolz

Interested in physician-scientist track, leaning towards GI. Thoughts?

NIH
Mayo rochester
Colorado
Wisconsin - Madison
Wash U
Chicago
UPMC
Roswell park
Moffitt
Indiana
UT st Antonio

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

NIH
Mayo rochester
Colorado
Wisconsin - Madison
Wash U
Chicago
UPMC
Roswell park
Moffitt
Indiana
UT st Antonio
Nice list. Congrats! Won’t give my opinion due to COI but I would like to hear what people think about those places as well.

Help with rank-order list. interested in clinical and solids.

1) Uni of cinncinati
2) Baylor
3) Uni of Louisville
4) Leigh Valley Allentown
5) Uni of Nebraska
6) SUNY upstate
7) East carolina
8) Uni of Toledo

Thanks

NIH
Mayo rochester
Colorado
Wisconsin - Madison
Wash U
Chicago
UPMC
Roswell park
Moffitt
Indiana
UT st Antonio
Take this with a grain of salt as I'm a fellow applicant, but I would personally move UChicago up to like... #3/4ish; it's a very strong program and Chicago is a fun city to live in! I would definitely rather be there than in Denver, Madison or St. Louis, lol. NIH makes sense for the tippy-top.

Honestly... these are all pretty solid, so if this is the order in which you vibed, I suspect you'll do just fine!

Sorry to double-post, I've been flip-flopping on parts of my own rank list if anyone has thoughts. I am interested in solids, clinical/outcomes research, and intersections with (edited for clarity) palliative care. Want to keep academic doors open. Any thoughts on the following?

- UCSD
- Columbia
- Vanderbilt
- BIDMC
- OHSU

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
What does this mean?

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those, I would pick based on where you want to live when you grow up (seriously).
Haha, I should have written “intersections with PALLIATIVE care.” I’m interested in cancer-related pain and other quality-of-life issues. Sorry, that was unclear; typing too quickly!

Also, thanks for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Haha, I should have written “intersections with PALLIATIVE care.” I’m interested in cancer-related pain and other quality-of-life issues. Sorry, that was unclear; typing too quickly!

Also, thanks for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.
It's still not exactly clear to me, but whatever.

Go somewhere with strong palliative care if that part is important to you.

If you had asked me 2 years ago, I would have told you to cross OHSU off your list. But you're asking me today, so I'll say it's definitely a contender in that group.

Also requesting help with my ROL, interested in solids, lab-based research in cell therapy. Programs below in no particular order:

MSK
Penn
UW
UCSF
Stanford
Sinai
Columbia
NIH
Yale
JHU

Thank you!

Also requesting help with my ROL, interested in solids, lab-based research in cell therapy. Programs below in no particular order:

MSK
Penn
UW
UCSF
Stanford
Sinai
Columbia
NIH
Yale
JHU

Thank you!
Penn
MSK
NIH
Stanford

Doubt you’ll match below there. Other programs in particular Columbia Yale ucsf Sinai are not of the same caliber as the above

Members don't see this ad :)
Penn
MSK
NIH
Stanford

Doubt you’ll match below there. Other programs in particular Columbia Yale ucsf Sinai are not of the same caliber as the above
You can't really sleep on Hopkins and Columbia either.

Honestly, none of those places will hold you back.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking to pursue a clinical investigator track. Interested in early phase trials in GI onc. ROL in tentative order. Any thoughts?

UCSF
WashU
Moffitt
Mayo Florida
Indiana
Medical College of Wisconsin
Umass

Thank you!

You can't really sleep on Hopkins and Columbia either.

Honestly, none of those places will hold you back.
It’s true these are all great programs, just felt these were slightly above the rest especially penn for cell therapy

Looking to pursue a clinical investigator track. Interested in early phase trials in GI onc. ROL in tentative order. Any thoughts?

UCSF
WashU
Moffitt
Mayo Florida
Indiana
Medical College of Wisconsin
Umass

Thank you!
As much as I hate St. Louis (and it's hard to overstate how much I do hate it), WashU should be #1. Also Indy should be 3 or 4 and Miracle Whip 6 or 7.

I’d love some opinion on my list as well.

Interested in solids (lung, GI), clinical trials and bioinformatics.

NIH
Yale
BIDMC
University of Miami
UW Madison
CWRU
University of Vermont
UConn
Rush

As much as I hate St. Louis (and it's hard to overstate how much I do hate it), WashU should be #1. Also Indy should be 3 or 4 and Miracle Whip 6 or 7.
Thank you gutonc! Appreciate your thoughts.

NIH
Yale
BIDMC
University of Miami
UW Madison
CWRU
University of Vermont
UConn
Rush
Seems like a reasonable order. I'd personally do it differently, but most of that is personal preference for location and other things. So if you liked them this way, it's hard to argue against (excepting NIH's reputation for mediocre clinical experience at the expense of phenomenal research opportunities).

In case you care, I'd rank them
BIDMC
Madison
Yale
NIH
Whatever...I don't know, probably Case next...or maybe UVM for location.

Seems like a reasonable order. I'd personally do it differently, but most of that is personal preference for location and other things. So if you liked them this way, it's hard to argue against (excepting NIH's reputation for mediocre clinical experience at the expense of phenomenal research opportunities).

In case you care, I'd rank them
BIDMC
Madison
Yale
NIH
Whatever...I don't know, probably Case next...or maybe UVM for location.
Thanks for the input. Now, exploring a bit much your insights. You would rank BI and UW before Yale more because of the clinical training or for the location?

Thanks for the input. Now, exploring a bit much your insights. You would rank BI and UW before Yale more because of the clinical training or for the location?
BI for both, Madison definitely for location. But again, I'm 10 years out and not you, so take my suggestions with a huge grain of salt.

ROL suggestions

Rosalind franklin
Beaumont
Michigan State
St. Luke's

NIH
Mayo rochester
Colorado
Wisconsin - Madison
Wash U
Chicago
UPMC
Roswell park
Moffitt
Indiana
UT st Antonio

NIH
Yale
BIDMC
University of Miami
UW Madison
CWRU
University of Vermont
UConn
Rush

Current NIHer. I've enjoyed my program. It's not perfect, but it does get better every year. That said... it's not for everyone.

I'd recommend keeping it as your #1 only if you're sold on a career in academics, big pharma, or government regulation. Those are the well paved careers paths well suited for NIH training.

It isn't impossible to do other stuff, but it does require more individual effort to arrange. The NIH continuity clinics don't really lend themselves to fellow-driven autonomy because a lot of the treatment decisions are dictated by study protocols. There are multiple options for outside rotations, which I personally have taken advantage of and loved. But while those rotations def have continuity, it's not the same experience you'd get with a home continuity clinic and your own panel of patients that you own. That said, the NIH name did nothing to hamper my job search outside of those well beaten paths. I'm heading to a hybrid academic setting with a tumor-specific practice... but I'm anticipating a steep learning curve when I start.

PS- I went to the NIH because I thought I was 100% sold on academics coming out of residency but then decided differently once in fellowship. My decision to get out of academics had mostly to do with life reasons rather than a sudden disinterest in research.

Reactions: 1 users
Current NIHer. I've enjoyed my program. It's not perfect, but it does get better every year. That said... it's not for everyone.

I'd recommend keeping it as your #1 only if you're sold on a career in academics, big pharma, or government regulation. Those are the well paved careers paths well suited for NIH training.

It isn't impossible to do other stuff, but it does require more individual effort to arrange. The NIH continuity clinics don't really lend themselves to fellow-driven autonomy because a lot of the treatment decisions are dictated by study protocols. There are multiple options for outside rotations, which I personally have taken advantage of and loved. But while those rotations def have continuity, it's not the same experience you'd get with a home continuity clinic and your own panel of patients that you own. That said, the NIH name did nothing to hamper my job search outside of those well beaten paths. I'm heading to a hybrid academic setting with a tumor-specific practice... but I'm anticipating a steep learning curve when I start.

PS- I went to the NIH because I thought I was 100% sold on academics coming out of residency but then decided differently once in fellowship. My decision to get out of academics had mostly to do with life reasons rather than a sudden disinterest in research.
Thank you for sharing your detailed experience.

Interested in being a physician scientist, university of Colorado versus wash u. My interview process at Colorado was much better and a lot of research they offer aligns with what I want to do in the future. Thanks!

Interested in being a physician scientist, university of Colorado versus wash u. My interview process at Colorado was much better and a lot of research they offer aligns with what I want to do in the future. Thanks!
WashU provides so much research support to residents and fellows that it's hard to pass that up.

That said, if CU works better for you personally, that's also hard to argue with. You're more likely to be successful in a program that is a positive environment for you.

CU will NOT hurt you in any way.

If one of the programs you ranked lower just recruited to their program a big name who has a track record of mentoring should that alone merit changing the rank?

If one of the programs you ranked lower just recruited to their program a big name who has a track record of mentoring should that alone merit changing the rank?
Probably not? Why did you rank them lower and why would this person being there change things for your personal goals?

Probably not? Why did you rank them lower and why would this person being there change things for your personal goals?
Reason for lower rank was that the program is not well known for the area of my interest compared to higher ranked programs but the said person's research focus is more or less in line with my area of research and so could be a potential mentor. I realize this will be a risky move to bank your fellowship choice on one person who is also in transition, but wanted to get the opinions of current fellows/attendings.

Reason for lower rank was that the program is not well known for the area of my interest compared to higher ranked programs but the said person's research focus is more or less in line with my area of research and so could be a potential mentor. I realize this will be a risky move to bank your fellowship choice on one person who is also in transition, but wanted to get the opinions of current fellows/attendings.
Don't do that unless that was the only reason for the lower rank.

Recognize that it often takes a year or 2 for new faculty to get up and running at a new institution at the same level they were prior. So this person may or may not be the best choice for a mentor for you in the next couple of years .

can anybody shed light on Baylor vs Uni of Cincinnati? Interested in PP and general hem/Onc. Baylor seems very busy!

HEAVY EXHALE!!!!! matched at my #1.

e: fine, lol ill undox myself, per recommendations. over there on the east coast, one of the blue ones.

curious about match outcomes for some of the folks earlier in this thread, but don't wanna @ anybody! may the odds ever be!

Last edited:
Matched at my #2 - University of Utah!! Can’t wait!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Matched at my first choice! Still can't believe it! I'm thankful to those who gave me good suggestions in this thread. Thank you all! :giggle:

Hello guys
I don't know if someone still check this forum.is there anyone who went unmatched here can someone shed some light

Hello guys
I don't know if someone still check this forum.is there anyone who went unmatched here can someone shed some light

Unmatched as well looking for some tips
Light and tips on what exactly?

Why you didn't match and what to do to improve your chances next year? You're going to need to share a lot about yourself and your app.

Tips on what to do now? Depends on the answer to the question above, and your life goals.

Reposting a comment I made from last years cycle because I feel it is still relevant:

"Posting this early to help the nerves of those with less than stellar CVs:

I am a Carribean grad with 230s for both step scores. Little to nothing in the way of research aside from local conference case presentations. No grants. Never published. No away or audition electives. I went to a community program without a fellowship. I am a first generation doc with no physician-friends/family with any influence. No chief year. I did have good LORs because I did multiple elective rotations and grew to know the docs at my institution well. In general(or at least on paper) I am an average to below average candidate and I matched at my first choice program in the Northeast and I couldn't be happier.

I am posting this because several colleagues will post their impressive credentials in the days and weeks to come. And it will seems like everyone is interviewing at "top tier" programs and has 20 interviews. Seeing this last year I was riddled with anxiety all season thinking that I was not good enough. It even made me depressed at times. I just want you to be confident in yourself and your choice. It can happen for you if you want it. Feel free to PM me with any questions."
I applied this year but did not match. Steps are weak step 1 to 3: 221/211/209, decent LORs - only 1 from H/O though, lots of research in H/O but none at ASH or ASCO, applied at 108 programs, did not match. Had an in-house H/O fellowship and they didn’t take me. I would say I’m an average resident at a community based program with a few fellowships. I did not match. And scrambled into a hospice and palliative fellowship for 1 year at a university based program. I have a green card. What did I do wrong? I rotated at the in-house fellowship presented tumor board twice, did lots of research with the fellows. Presented topics frequently to the PD who was the only attending in the H/O program (very very small fellowship). Did an outside elective and got the chairman their to write me an LOR. Idk what I did wrong. Was it my scores showing a downward trend? This year was the year they were taking 2 fellows, and historically they always take from within residency as it’s a Prematch program. I have no idea what went wrong. I feel it maybe too soon to ask.
Any advice from you would be so helpful seeing how your journey was quite incredible.

I applied this year but did not match. Steps are weak step 1 to 3: 221/211/209, decent LORs - only 1 from H/O though, lots of research in H/O but none at ASH or ASCO, applied at 108 programs, did not match. Had an in-house H/O fellowship and they didn’t take me. I would say I’m an average resident at a community based program with a few fellowships. I did not match. And scrambled into a hospice and palliative fellowship for 1 year at a university based program. I have a green card. What did I do wrong? I rotated at the in-house fellowship presented tumor board twice, did lots of research with the fellows. Presented topics frequently to the PD who was the only attending in the H/O program (very very small fellowship). Did an outside elective and got the chairman their to write me an LOR. Idk what I did wrong. Was it my scores showing a downward trend? This year was the year they were taking 2 fellows, and historically they always take from within residency as it’s a Prematch program. I have no idea what went wrong. I feel it maybe too soon to ask.
Any advice from you would be so helpful seeing how your journey was quite incredible.
To be honest, it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, you worked hard and it shows. The score are a blemish but it could be overshadowed by the rest of your CV. The one thing I did not post about was luck. It was on my side during my match season and unfortunately it was not on your side this season. Heme/Onc is becoming very competitive, moreso with online interviews as it seems everyone applied to every program. Hopefully where you matched in palliative also has a H/O fellowship and you can work closely with their service next year, it sounds like that is your best option, that and reapplying to your former in-house fellowship. Just keep up the good work and next year you will be competitive again.

Last edited:
To be honest, it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, you worked hard and it shows. The score are a blemish but it could be overshadowed by the rest of your CV. The one thing I did not post about was luck. It was on my side during my match season and unfortunately it was not on your side this season. Heme/Onc is becoming very competitive, moreso with online interviews as it seems everyone applied to every program. Hopefully where you matched in palliative also has a H/O fellowship and you can work closely with their service next year, it sounds like that is your best option, that and reapplying to your former in-house fellowship. Just keep up the good work and next year you will be competitive again.
Thank you so much! Your words mean a lot to me.

Hi guys, I didn't match this year :( would definitely appreciate some feedbacks...
I am a Canadian on J1 visa, am a DO, currently in a PGY3 in a low/mid tier university program.
Step scores: 240s-240s / COMLEX 600s/500s/700s
Research: 3 case reports published during residency, 3-4 poster presentations but not in ASH/ASCO, 2 research project on retrospective review (not published)
LOR: 3 heme onc docs at my home institution whom I have good relation for, 1 PD letter, 1 primary care attending that supervise me in clinic who knows me well. I think everyone wrote good letters.
Application: applied to 111 programs country-wide, my home institution does not have heme onc...
Interviews: got 7 interviews,I felt 6 of them went well

I honestly don't know what went wrong... really bummed out...I will be reaching out to the programs as well to get some feedbacks. I will also be continuing to do research as I found a PCP-Hospitalist hybrid J1 waiver job in my residency-city so I still have some connections with heme-onc department.

I want to re-apply but I won't be able to until 3 years later due to J1 waiver restriction. I wonder how likely it is to even get interviews if I apply in 3 years (without greencard, can only apply to H1B available programs) or 5 years (with greencard)? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Care
Status
Not open for further replies.