Heme/Onc Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Corkyjane thats very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

anyone having more invitations?..... the forum looks slow for the past few days..I wonder if everyone is going for interviews,,,or if everyone is as clueless as me....
share your interview experiences guys,,,please!!!!

anyone having more invitations?..... the forum looks slow for the past few days..I wonder if everyone is going for interviews,,,or if everyone is as clueless as me....
share your interview experiences guys,,,please!!!!
It has slowed down....
Has any body heard from Drexel/Arkansas/UIC/Sinai/MSU??
For those who have intwd at UCincinnati or MUSC, could you share your experiences pls??

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, has anyone gotten rejections from cornell, columbia, and mt sinai in NYC? i haven't heard a peep from them :(

Has anyone interviewed at Fox Chase... any input would be helpful.

It has slowed down....
Has any body heard from Drexel/Arkansas/UIC/Sinai/MSU??
For those who have intwd at UCincinnati or MUSC, could you share your experiences pls??

drexel has sent out interviews and has been interviewng since mid feb.

Hi guys,
I have an interview coming up this week at medical college of georgia, Augusta.
anybody has been there or knows anything about the program?
Good luck to all of you

hey Dr Z! how did ur interview go?

Has anyone interviewed at Fox Chase... any input would be helpful.

I matched at FCCC last year. It is a flexible enough program that let's you
choose your actual career goals, and does not make you do
research if you don't want to, but if that's your goal, there are
several basic research opportunities (two SPORE grants, two
Nobel Prize winners) and more than enough clinical research
options ( FCCC participates in ALL the NCCN boards) for you to choose.
If clinical practice is your cup of tea, this is an unbelievably
amazing place to go. Just be sincere in your interview. There's
a new program director an it is his first year there, so I don
know his IV style, but overall, my IV was really chill, don't worry!

I matched at FCCC last year. It is a flexible enough program that let's you
choose your actual career goals, and does not make you do
research if you don't want to, but if that's your goal, there are
several basic research opportunities (two SPORE grants, two
Nobel Prize winners) and more than enough clinical research
options ( FCCC participates in ALL the NCCN boards) for you to choose.
If clinical practice is your cup of tea, this is an unbelievably
amazing place to go. Just be sincere in your interview. There's
a new program director an it is his first year there, so I don
know his IV style, but overall, my IV was really chill, don't worry!

Thanks NYMD..thats very helpful..

Hello Guys,
I have several interviews but I am primarily interested in MCW. I have not heard from them yet. Does anyone know if they are still sending invites? Do they take only internal candidates?

Would appreciate your reply

Does anyone know about university of Tenessee program? How is it? (research emphasis or clinical emphasis or both). I am planning to go there next week. Any big name there? Would appreciate your response.

By the way, got IV from Wake Forest and University of Cincinnati yesterday.

Hey WisconsinDOC,
how was ur Univ of Ten interview.
i will be going there in couple of weeks.
would appreciate some brief input.

thanks !

Hey WisconsinDOC,
how was ur Univ of Ten interview.
i will be going there in couple of weeks.
would appreciate some brief input.

thanks !

They will keep you in holiday inn express which is within a convenient walking distance from the place of interview. There are restaurants within a short walking distance of few blocks. The interview starts in the morning after a nice breakfast at the 10th floor. You will be put in a conferance room across a hallway and you will have to go see many interviewers in their nearby offices. Time is 25 minutes with each interviewers but actually it ranged from 15-20 minutes for me. It was funny because as you are in the middle of nice discussion the coordinater would show up to knock at the door! Be prepared to see some non-hem, non-onc interviewers e.g. surgeons. Faculty was nice and non-intimadating. By noon the one to one interview will be over and one of the fellows will present something in their research works. A lunch (a nice one) will be provided during this one hour talk. After this, one of the fellows will take you to the tour of the Methodist hosptial (next to the building) and may be one of the Peripheral Clinical sites which I did not go as I had to catch my flight at 3.

Overall, I must commend the southern hospitality which is hard to see in many fellowship programs.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
# of spots: 15

# of interviewees: ~10-12

# of Interviews: 3

Facilities: didn't receive a tour so I am not able to comment.

Computer system: CPOE. EMR but mainly utilize dictations and scanning of written notes. Did not see example

Research opportunities: Excellent for both basic science and clinical research. All fellows complete a Certificate in Clinical Research after their 1st yr clinical responsibilites are done. Seminars are also held on grant writing, protocol development, etc.

Clinical Training: Several of the current fellows admitted that there is not much emphasis on autonomy (attendings mainly drive the show in the subspecialty clinics) and their is no personal continuity clinic. Surprisingly, all the fellows agreed that they prefer it this way as they are here primarily to learn. Fellows do bounce plans off of the attendings, but seems like they play the role of transcriptionist when it comes to note writing (which is essentially minimal on the inpt side). Everyone felt very comfortable w/ their clinical training. Call is only from home and NEVER requires the fellows to come in for an admission or consult, but it can be very busy at times (4 weekdays & 1 weekend day per month). Program is truly front loaded to provide protected time during 2nd and 3rd yrs (more so than any other program I interviewed at). Does seem that the housestaff is hit or miss as residents from various hospitals rotate at Sloan.

PD: Dr. Dean Bajorin is very personable and dedicated to the success of the fellows. Appears very receptive to suggestions and has worked hard to develop great didactic sessions throughout the year that focus on clinical training as well as career development.

Location: Upper east side of Manhattan. I'm unfamiliar w/ the east coast but have been told this is a relatively upper/middle class neighborhood. Cost of living is quite high, but the program provides subsidized housing (within 5 blocks of the main hospital) that is pre-tax. Probably the best deal anywhere, let alone New York.

Overall: Amazing program. Best career development and true protected research time during 2nd & 3rd yrs that I've seen. Great PD. High cost of living but program has addressed this w/ subsidized housing.

They will keep you in holiday inn express which is within a convenient walking distance from the place of interview. There are restaurants within a short walking distance of few blocks. The interview starts in the morning after a nice breakfast at the 10th floor. You will be put in a conferance room across a hallway and you will have to go see many interviewers in their nearby offices. Time is 25 minutes with each interviewers but actually it ranged from 15-20 minutes for me. It was funny because as you are in the middle of nice discussion the coordinater would show up to knock at the door! Be prepared to see some non-hem, non-onc interviewers e.g. surgeons. Faculty was nice and non-intimadating. By noon the one to one interview will be over and one of the fellows will present something in their research works. A lunch (a nice one) will be provided during this one hour talk. After this, one of the fellows will take you to the tour of the Methodist hosptial (next to the building) and may be one of the Peripheral Clinical sites which I did not go as I had to catch my flight at 3.

Overall, I must commend the southern hospitality which is hard to see in many fellowship programs.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Thanks a lot my friend. :)
Best of Luck !:thumbup:

# of spots: 15

# of interviewees: ~10-12

# of Interviews: 3

Facilities: didn't receive a tour so I am not able to comment.

Computer system: CPOE. EMR but mainly utilize dictations and scanning of written notes. Did not see example

Research opportunities: Excellent for both basic science and clinical research. All fellows complete a Certificate in Clinical Research after their 1st yr clinical responsibilites are done. Seminars are also held on grant writing, protocol development, etc.

Clinical Training: Several of the current fellows admitted that there is not much emphasis on autonomy (attendings mainly drive the show in the subspecialty clinics) and their is no personal continuity clinic. Surprisingly, all the fellows agreed that they prefer it this way as they are here primarily to learn. Fellows do bounce plans off of the attendings, but seems like they play the role of transcriptionist when it comes to note writing (which is essentially minimal on the inpt side). Everyone felt very comfortable w/ their clinical training. Call is only from home and NEVER requires the fellows to come in for an admission or consult, but it can be very busy at times (4 weekdays & 1 weekend day per month). Program is truly front loaded to provide protected time during 2nd and 3rd yrs (more so than any other program I interviewed at). Does seem that the housestaff is hit or miss as residents from various hospitals rotate at Sloan.

PD: Dr. Dean Bajorin is very personable and dedicated to the success of the fellows. Appears very receptive to suggestions and has worked hard to develop great didactic sessions throughout the year that focus on clinical training as well as career development.

Location: Upper east side of Manhattan. I'm unfamiliar w/ the east coast but have been told this is a relatively upper/middle class neighborhood. Cost of living is quite high, but the program provides subsidized housing (within 5 blocks of the main hospital) that is pre-tax. Probably the best deal anywhere, let alone New York.

Overall: Amazing program. Best career development and true protected research time during 2nd & 3rd yrs that I've seen. Great PD. High cost of living but program has addressed this w/ subsidized housing.

Thank you, MidWestMD, for your impression. It's helpful to know as I'll interview there in the next few weeks. Sounds like a great program. :) Regarding the tour, the program didn't offer one or you didn't want one?

BIDMC is a great program with strong clinical training, readily available research opportunities within the Harvard-wide system, and some remarkable clinician educators.

I was joined by 3 other applicants on my interview day. The day started with a great new patient conference during which a first-year fellow presented a case and the discussion was moderated by the incoming editor-in-chief of JCO. Great discussion. Afterwards, I had seven interviews, interrupted by a lunch conference and a tour of the facility. All the interviews were low-key.

The schedule is completely outpatient during the first year. Unlike some other programs with completely protected 2nd and 3rd years, BIDMC fellows have a few more months of clinical commitment at the first half of their 2nd years. Research opportunities are abundant, both at BIDMC and at other Harvard institutions. Fellows seem friendly and happy. The institution is rapidly expanding its oncology inpatient service due to rising demands. Not sure how this will affect fellows' inpatient responsibilities.

BIDMC is a special hospital, at times overshadowed by its bigger siblings, especially in heme-onc with DFCI nearby, but it is perhaps the best-run hospital in the city of Boston, with remarkably talented leadership from the CEO to the medicine department chairman to the heme-onc division chief. Great culture. Perhaps the best computer system in the nation. Great place to be trained.

Thank you, MidWestMD, for your impression. It's helpful to know as I'll interview there in the next few weeks. Sounds like a great program. :) Regarding the tour, the program didn't offer one or you didn't want one?

When I was there a couple of years ago, there was a very minimal tour but we didn't go to the floors or infusion units and we only briefly wandered through a clinic area.

Ditto gutonc. Was not offered a tour. Depending on where your interviewers are, you might get a nice little tour of the 3 block radius around Sloan though.

Has anyone interviewed at Kansas University? I would appreciate any information from your experience.

hey guys did anyone know anything about the jefferson in philly?

what about university of arkansas, or university of nevada?

did anyone heard from univ of Louisiana recently? They emailed me on monday for the interview- few dates in april/may. I am wondering is it there second round or no?

# of available spots: 6

# of applicants on IV day: ~5

# of applicants interviewed: 54

Research opportunities: NCI designated comprehensive cancer center w/ excellent NIH funding. Appears to have equal emphasis on basic science vs clinical research. Attendings seem very dedicated to fellow education and will attempt to recruit you to their lab/projects. 2 retreats a year (at a gorgeous resort in the Outer Banks) that provide seminars in grant writing as well as free alcohol ;)

Facilities: Fellows rotate at the main university hospital and the VA across the street. Beautiful facilities w/ recent ground breaking ceremony for a new cancer center to be completed in 2012 (doubtful). Hospital campus is right next door to the undergrad campus and is also very scenic. Note- UNC is 8miles away and opened a new cancer center recently, but it appears that Duke has not noticed any decrease in their cachment area.

PD: Current PD is on medical leave. Interim PD was appointed (and will likely take over next yr), but it was Dr. Riedel (associate PD) who ran the show while we were there. Duke trained for residency and fellowship. Program appears to be very dedicated to fellows and has made numerous changes to improve training (incr educational fund, changed rotations, etc). Also, Sarah Overaker (the program coordinator) is wonderful! She's been there for >17yrs and at Duke for >30 yrs.

Training: Great clinical training in both Heme and Onc. Only area they lack any depth in is melanoma, which they freely admit. Fellows seem to have quite a bit of autonomy in both their continuity clinics and on inpt months. One inpt service actually requires the fellows to work w/ interns (no residents) with whom they share note writing and day to day responsibilities (d/c orders, d/c planning, etc). Fellows tend to stay on as Junior faculty (more so than at other programs I saw), but everyone seemed to attribute this to people liking Durham and the attention paid by the program towards career development. A Masters in Clinical Research is offered but funding is dubious (may have to pay out of pocket). Program is open to double boarding or single boarding and does not seem to influence fellows one way or another.

EMR: CPOE but it seems they still scan a lot of documents and perform dictations on inpt and clinic pts. (I'm spoiled and therefore picky).

Location: Durham, NC. Friendly city w/ temperate weather. Low cost of living (Durham $ < Chapel Hill $$ < Raleigh $$$). Great school system in Chapel Hill. Most fellows own a home/condo (only 1 is renting). Located near Research Triangle Park. ~20-30min from the airport (RDU).

Overall Impression: Great program w/ excellent clinical training in both heme and onc (sometimes rare at larger academic facilities). Fellows have quite a bit of autonomy but actually have to play senior resident on one of the inpt services. EMR is less advanced than I'd like. Numerous opportunities for finding a research project and mentor. Strong likelihood of staying on as junior faculty after training is complete.

Other thoughts?

Last edited:
So, it's still not too late to get a rejection.

:thumbdown: UofChicago :oops:

Anybody get a rejection from Hopkins yet?

Anybody on the waitlist still at Fred-Hutch?

Bueller? Bueller?

Hi All
This is a wonderful resource. I am new here.
I have calls from UAB, Mayo, Pitt, BU, Emory, UMN and U Maryland.
I am still waiting for Fox chase, Jefferson, Tufts, MDACC and Vanderbilt.
Anybody still getting calls or knows if the programs I am still looking fwd to - have sent calls and when did they do it.

Anybody visited the programs I have calls from??
Thanks

Any one been to Yale yet? I saw some bad comments on the program in the previous years. I wonder if it is better this year.

I am applying next application cycle; IMG, should have my green card then
( fingers crossed), 8 publications ( reviews and case reports in so-so Journals), step I : 84, Step 2 : 96, Step 3: 87. Strong community program. LORs from residency PD, Hospital Hem/onc faculty who are nationally known. Currently working as a hospitalist and involved in some clinical research. I have seen that most of you applying here have impressive qualifications and I am wondering if you would have any advice for me on what I could do in the next few months to increase my chances in matching next year.
Good luck to all of you.

I think that the Yale oncology program is up and coming. The new Smilow Cancer Center is extremely beautiful (they give you a tour of the inpatient floors and the outpatient transfusion facilities on the interview, even though they are not occupied yet by patients or staff), and the increased number of beds the cancer center provides will very likely make them competitive with New York and Boston cancer centers in the next few years. They also recruited Tom Lynch from MGH to become their new cancer center director, and his emphasis on genetics/genomics and making the treatment of cancer more personalized is very important. All my interviewers were very pleasant, the clinical training is strong, and there are plenty of research opportunities available for fellows, including an Investigative Medicine Training program that can result in a PhD with an extra year of training. I'm definitely giving Yale some thought.

I have noticed on the interview trail that people dont seem to pay that much attention to your LORs. Before the interviews started a lot people said that LORs were important, but atleast on the interview trail it does not seem to be the case. I have had only a handful of people make comments about the LORs. I wonder what other people's experience has been in this regard???

I have noticed on the interview trail that people dont seem to pay that much attention to your LORs. Before the interviews started a lot people said that LORs were important, but atleast on the interview trail it does not seem to be the case. I have had only a handful of people make comments about the LORs. I wonder what other people's experience has been in this regard???

Funny, Im starting to feel that my LORs (and a close 2nd, research) are the parts of my app that get talked about most (moreso than where I trained, Step scores, etc)

Funny, Im starting to feel that my LORs (and a close 2nd, research) are the parts of my app that get talked about most (moreso than where I trained, Step scores, etc)

That is very interesting..do you mind sharing some of the programs you have interviewed at...

IV MCW today

Last edited:
Interview at Medical College of Wisconsin :thumbup:
4 dates in April..

:thumbdown: Hopkins

Still waiting on MDACC, Stanford, and the Hutch; but I figure these are pretty much over. Oh well, I'd honestly be happy at any of the programs I've been to so far. Is it time to submit our ROL yet? Good luck everyone!

Baylor, houston: very unsatisfactory experience for me. 4 interviews- one canceled without notice. added one more upon request. no one seemed to know my application at all. one of them made me feel that clinical research(which I have done) is extremely inferior to basic research. other one almost said that u are good but if u come here we will make you sit in the lab. PD seemed to be a lil bit nicer but said " yeah, everyone says they are interested in academics at the time of interview but all end up in pvt practice". Fellows were happy but 3rd years were clueless about their future plans. none of the fellows I talked to was doing any substantial research!
This was my 8th interview but never had such experience ever in my life. Dont know if they called me by mistake and were not interested in my application. anyone with similar experience? :mad::thumbdown:

Baylor, houston: very unsatisfactory experience for me. 4 interviews- one canceled without notice. added one more upon request. no one seemed to know my application at all. one of them made me feel that clinical research(which I have done) is extremely inferior to basic research. other one almost said that u are good but if u come here we will make you sit in the lab. PD seemed to be a lil bit nicer but said " yeah, everyone says they are interested in academics at the time of interview but all end up in pvt practice". Fellows were happy but 3rd years were clueless about their future plans. none of the fellows I talked to was doing any substantial research!
This was my 8th interview but never had such experience ever in my life. Dont know if they called me by mistake and were not interested in my application. anyone with similar experience? :mad::thumbdown:

I had the similar experience but the faculties at least did not intimidate me. The fellows told me that they have to really work hard. Little family time. Program director made me clear that the work load is way higher than any other academic programs and she made me clear that it is not a place for you if you are not very very hard working.

Hi Wisconsin Doc,

Any insights into the Hem-Onc program at MCW..? You had mentioned that you work around there, so thought you might know more about the program than I do..
Is it more of a clinical program..? Works hours, no of spots, family friendliness.. any idea..?

thanks, appreciate it..

Hi Wisconsin Doc,

Any insights into the Hem-Onc program at MCW..? You had mentioned that you work around there, so thought you might know more about the program than I do..
Is it more of a clinical program..? Works hours, no of spots, family friendliness.. any idea..?

thanks, appreciate it..

It is an above average program. They do not have NCI designated cancer center. Most of the graduates do private practice in Wisconsin and surrounding states. I do not exactly know the hours, spots and family friendliness. Milwaukee has short but sweet summer. This is all I know. I did not do residency there.

Guys,
If anyone knows a little bit about the strengths and the weakness of this program I would love to hear. I am going there for interview soon.

How would you classify this program? average, above average, or superior. I would appreciate your inputs.

Hey HemOncWannaBee,
Can you share your interview experience at Jefferson? By the way how was your trip to UT?
Thanks and good luck!

Jefferson was good.
Great location !
Office is located in Ben Franklin House.
Finding parking was an issue, as its right in downtown.
But there are plenty of paid parking lots around.
It will cost around $15 for the whole day.
Program itself doesnt have any parking, nor they do give any subsidy.
Most of staff travels through SEPTA, and some don't even have a car.
Interview started around 8:30
There were 6 candidates.
They are interviewing around 50.
Overview by the Coordinator, followed by the overview by PD, who was great by the way !
Asst PD got sick, so couldn't do his presentation.
He was also one of the interviewers, so they had to arrange one other faculty for the interview.
In total, I had 4 interviews. One of us had 5, but the rest 4. One actually had just 3.
This yr they are taking 5 fellows, which is one more than the last yr.
Plan to inc it to 6 in 2012.
Pretty evened out distribution of rotations.
They will provide you with a detail schedule of rotations.
One thing that I found useful & unique is they already have 3 different rotation schedule for people interested in basic research, clinical research & those who basically wants to go into clinical practice.
Strong emphasis in indulging in scholarly activities.
Fellows seemed to be quite happy & satisfied. PD is very involved with them & all were very appreciative of her.
After the first 2 interviews, coordinator took us for a tour of main hospital & the clinics.
As its in the main downtown, clinics were a bit crampy & overcrowded.
Then we were taken to the Journal Club in the noon conference. Lunch was provided.
This was followed by coffee with few of the fellows.
Apart from their hospital, fellows also rotate through Albert Einstein system in phili ( which apparently every one likes because of good clinical experience) & Christiana Care in Delaware, which is 40 miles away.
As per PD, they will be gradually getting rid of Delaware one due to long distance, but people who can go, actually like the location too. Seems like its gonna become optional.
There are few big names in melanoma currently there.
Interviewers were pretty laid back.
During interview with PD, she said/asked that in the end when she will sit with the committee to make ROL, what should she say or think that would put me higher on the list (basically she asked why u should be in this place, so think about a nice answer)
PD also offered to come back to spend a day with a fellow, which I m planning to in late April.
Program also offers few masters programs like MPH, Masters in Clinical Investigation etc.
The day finished around 4:00 PM.
Before leaving, there was another closing meeting with all of us by PD, thanking us for our visit, and closing Q&A session.
They absolutely didn't want any of us to send any Thank You letters & cards.
Emails of interest will be fine, with emphasis to be sent to coordinator so that she can put it in your file.
Overall a strong program, with good training & research opportunities. Location was a plus too, but commute is a big issue.
Few of the fellows live in Ben Franklin House, which is a bit expensive but of course convenient.
Hope this helps !
I will be going to UT next week; had to rescehdule;
They have me on schedule to meet with 10 people ! :(
Thats crazy ! previous max was 9 !
Best of luck !
Feel free to ask anything else :)

Hi Wisconsin Doc,

Thanks for your comments on MCW. Good luck on your interview trail.

Interview: UT Galveston yesterday :thumbup:

Hellow HemOncWannaBee,
Thank you so much for your insigts on TJ. Wish you all the best for your upcoming interviews.

Hi every body....I have been a silent reader for this great forum...thanks for your effort
I will be interviewing in NYU coming friday....appreciate any input about the program

Hi every body....I have been a silent reader for this great forum...thanks for your effort
I will be interviewing in NYU coming friday....appreciate any input about the program

I've posted about NYU before but will make a few quick points. It was my least favorite program but that was primarily because I had very specific interests and it fulfilled none of them (Research Pathway, single boarding in Onc, specific research opportunities).

That said. For someone interested in going into PP, I don't think you could get better training anywhere else than you would get at NYU. They spend an entire year doing benign heme. I personally would rather do a year-long manual fecal disempaction fellowship than benign heme but the faculty are awesome and you will wind up knowing your bleeding and clotting like nobody's business.

Their clinical exposure is awesome with 3 hospitals (right next to each other) and tons of autonomy @ Bellevue and the VA. It's a huge medical center so the options for clinical and research mentors is amazing (even though I know I said I couldn't find anybody that interested me, I probably just wasn't looking hard enough).

If my goal had been PP H/O, I would probably have ranked this program much higher than I did.

Any input on the program is highly appreciated.....