Heme/Onc Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey gut onc, unless the PDs are patently lying, that is rubbish about mskcc and 50% PP.

That was part of their interview day spiel by the PD. And roughly what I gathered from talking to graduating fellows at lunch. Only passing on the info I was given.

Members don't see this ad.

That was part of their interview day spiel by the PD. And roughly what I gathered from talking to graduating fellows at lunch. Only passing on the info I was given.

When I interviewed at MSKCC last yr, the PD also said that 50% do PP. I think the national average is higher so still pretty academic. The only place I thought it would be hard to do PP is the University of Chicago, very academic and very serious about it. The PD at Northwestern said to look at where fellows are 10 months after fellowship, meaning that they may go into academics straight out then switch.

When I interviewed at MSKCC last yr, the PD also said that 50% do PP. I think the national average is higher so still pretty academic. The only place I thought it would be hard to do PP is the University of Chicago, very academic and very serious about it. The PD at Northwestern said to look at where fellows are 10 months after fellowship, meaning that they may go into academics straight out then switch.

Yeah, they quoted me the same numbers when I interviewed there a few years ago (same interview class as gutonc, if I remember correctly). Look, no matter what anyone tells you, 50% or more of grads from any program end up in private practice - maybe not right out of fellowship (as NightVision pointed out), but the true measure is to look at what grads are doing 5-10 years later. I suspect the number may even be higher.

What's important is that the % of grads in practice is not necessarily a reflection of the training or academic focus of a program; life circumstances change, market forces change, etc. I remember being very impressed with MSKCC's forthrightness in stating up front that yes, half our grads end up in practice, and we're okay with that. It's reality. They were self-assured enough in their program that they didn't have to resort to subterfuge. I found that most good academic programs were similarly self-confident and frank in their assessments of grad career choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember being very impressed with MSKCC's forthrightness in stating up front that yes, half our grads end up in practice, and we're okay with that. It's reality. They were self-assured enough in their program that they didn't have to resort to subterfuge. I found that most good academic programs were similarly self-confident and frank in their assessments of grad career choices.

That's what I liked about that statement as well. No BS. No self-delusion. "We train people well enough that they can go on and do anything from PP oncology in the community to directing a cancer center. What they choose to do with their training is their business and we support them."

The flip side is a program 30 or so blocks south of there where I was basically told that they do everything possible to keep fellows who look headed into PP from graduating.

That's what I liked about that statement as well. No BS. No self-delusion. "We train people well enough that they can go on and do anything from PP oncology in the community to directing a cancer center. What they choose to do with their training is their business and we support them."

The flip side is a program 30 or so blocks south of there where I was basically told that they do everything possible to keep fellows who look headed into PP from graduating.

hey, just saw this post. do you mind if I ask which program you heard that about in NYC? i'm just wondering, bc i'm interested in some of them, and was worried after i read you comment :rolleyes:

(i have no idea whether I will be headed into PP or academics at this point, although I only applied to academic programs)

thanks

How would you guys rank the following: MSKCC, DFCI, MDACC, UCSF, Stanford, Fred Hutch, Hopkins? Specifically any negative things you've heard about these programs would be appreciated. Any comments on location, lifestyle, etc... would be very helpful as well. I'll be a clinical investigator, not bench researcher. Thanks in advance.

TyrosineKinase,

If I was unfortunate enough to have your dilema and location was not an issue, I would pick the program where I was able to most easily identify a great mentor based on my own research interests.

Lacking that...I can only comment on MSKCC as it was the only program we have in common this yr.

Negatives:
1. Lack of fellow autonomy...you basically play transcriptionist for the attendings in clinic
2. Very front loaded (although I actually think this is a good thing)
3. Lack of an EMR. Disappointed that their system is still pretty backwards

Positives: I'll just touch on the practical points
1. Fellow salary is pretty good for northeast programs
2. Every fellow receives a Certificate in Clinical Research
3. Face it, you just can't beat the pre-tax, subsidized housing they provide in the Upper East side. Best deal in New York (or so I've been told).

Good luck TK, I'm sure you'll be happy no matter where you end up.

Last edited:
hey, just saw this post. do you mind if I ask which program you heard that about in NYC? i'm just wondering, bc i'm interested in some of them, and was worried after i read you comment :rolleyes:

(i have no idea whether I will be headed into PP or academics at this point, although I only applied to academic programs)

thanks

I didn't "hear it" like it was a rumor. I "heard it" from the asst. PD.

Google Maps will help you figure out which program it is.

Hey guys this is my first post here, and I need help with my rank list.

1) Fox chase
2) Thomas jefferson
3) Univ of minnesota
4) Emory
5) Mount sinai NY
6) Montefiore NY
7) Univ of nebraska
8) Roswell Park
9) MUSC( Medical univ of south carolina)
10) University of arkansas

What do you guys think?

Hey guys this is my first post here, and I need help with my rank list.

1) Fox chase
2) Thomas jefferson
3) Univ of minnesota
4) Emory
5) Mount sinai NY
6) Montefiore NY
7) Univ of nebraska
8) Roswell Park
9) MUSC( Medical univ of south carolina)
10) University of arkansas

What do you guys think?

Unless you have a location preference I do not see why Thomas Jefferson has to be above Univ of Minnesota, Emory, Mt Sinai and Monte and Univ of Nebraska.
I would redo your list as follows:
Fox Chase,
Univ of Minnesota,
Uni of Nebraska,
Emory,
Mt Sinai,
Monte and
Thomas Jefferson. I agree with your lower three.

Good luck to you. Your list of programs is impressive.

Unless you have a location preference I do not see why Thomas Jefferson has to be above Univ of Minnesota, Emory, Mt Sinai and Monte and Univ of Nebraska.
I would redo your list as follows:
Fox Chase,
Univ of Minnesota,
Uni of Nebraska,
Emory,
Mt Sinai,
Monte and
Thomas Jefferson. I agree with your lower three.

Good luck to you. Your list of programs is impressive.

hmm...Is univ of nebraska really better than emory/mt sinai/monte?
I have an interview coming up with them. Based on prelim info and # of seats, I dont know why I would rank it higher than emory/sinai/monte!
Dear BRCA, Please elaborate. Thanks.:scared:

I have no geographic restriction at all, all I want is the best training!
I have 2 questions!

1) Is mt sinai better than montefiore?
2) is nebraska better than emory?

My only remaining interview is nebraska and is in 2 more weeks so I was not sure if visiting them, but apparently is a good program.

Thomas Jefferson
Albert Einstein Montefiore
WSU/DMC
Rush Univ
SUNY Upstate
Univ of Oklahoma
Univ of Tennessee
SUNY Downstate

The reason that the last 2 program, are in the last spots is coz they seemed too malignant to me during my visit & had some questions about the structure of the program.

Any comments ???? suggestions ???

I have 2 questions!

2) is nebraska better than emory?

My only remaining interview is nebraska and is in 2 more weeks so I was not sure if visiting them, but apparently is a good program.

Hey Tigeronc. No doubt about it, Mount Sinai is better than Montefiore. A couple of reasons. First of all, Monty is a very very overworked program, fellows stay there till late on a regular basis. More opportunities for research in Mount Sinai than Monty. More renowned attendings specially in malignant heme. Better contacts, waaaaaay better patient population. Monty might seem interesting because it is a NCI appointed Cancer Center (although not comprehensinve) but that is more due to the area where they are located and what they do for their population, than to quality being better than other programs. And above all that, the location for Mount Sinai is absurdely better than Monty.

Having said that, Montefiore is a very good program, and the clinical training is excellent. In spite of that, they finished last year with TWO spots unfilled.

Downside of Mount Sinai is their obsession with palliative care, and I heard they make their fellows do an extra year of fellowship in palliative care (not sure it's true, I didn't interview there).

Regarding your options, by far your best would be Fox Chase ( I might be biased :p), but I would rank Sinai second, if location is not an issue.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thomas Jefferson
Albert Einstein Montefiore
WSU/DMC
Rush Univ
SUNY Upstate
Univ of Oklahoma
Univ of Tennessee
SUNY Downstate

The reason that the last 2 program, are in the last spots is coz they seemed too malignant to me during my visit & had some questions about the structure of the program.

Any comments ???? suggestions ???

Hey HemOncWannaBee,
I would bring Univ of Tennessee to the last in the list. Memphis is a tough place to live even for three years...Crimes, tornedoes, flooding!!!. I personally think Downstate definately has a better nationwide reputation than that of UT. University of Oklahoma is definately a better program than Upstate but the weather in OK is tough to live. I did not even apply in OK because of the extreme weather there.

Wish you good luck. Hopefully you will match above the lower three!

Hey HemOncWannaBee,
I would bring Univ of Tennessee to the last in the list. Memphis is a tough place to live even for three years...Crimes, tornedoes, flooding!!!. I personally think Downstate definately has a better nationwide reputation than that of UT. University of Oklahoma is definately a better program than Upstate but the weather in OK is tough to live. I did not even apply in OK because of the extreme weather there.

Dear BRCA, I am eagerly waiting for your comments on univ of nebraska...pls help.Thanks.

top three programs on your list would be: WF, UIC, Cincinatti
don t know much about the other programs
good luck !!

Hello Friends,
I need your comment on my ROL:

Wake Forest
Tufts
Thomas Jefferson
Baylor
UIC
University of Cincinnati
Western Pensulvania Hospital (Temple's Community program)
University of Tenesse (memphis)
St Louis University

Please let me know what you think and I also encourage you guys to post yours.........As we are almost done with the interviews I think we should start to work on our ROLs........Good luck to all!

Last edited:
1st tier: iowa , colorado , UOF
second tier: U Mass, columbia
stay away from tufts and montefiore
not much info about the others

Can anybody help with this?
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Iowa
U of Florida, Gainesville
U of Utah
Columbia /Presbytarian
Univ of Massachusetts
U of Vermont
U of Louisville, KY
Tufts
Wetschester Medical Center
Montefiore, Brons, NY
Virginia Commonwealth University
Baystate Medical Center, MA
North Shore/Long Island Jewish, NY

depends on what you want to do : Clinical versus basic science. heme vs solids
roughly I would put them
1-DFCI
2-MSKCC
3-MDA
4-5-Fred hutch /hopkins (depending on your preferences)
6-Stanford
7-UCSF

How would you guys rank the following: MSKCC, DFCI, MDACC, UCSF, Stanford, Fred Hutch, Hopkins? Specifically any negative things you've heard about these programs would be appreciated. Any comments on location, lifestyle, etc... would be very helpful as well. I'll be a clinical investigator, not bench researcher. Thanks in advance.

Hey HemOncWannaBee,

Thanks a bunch for the advice BRCA.
Agree with your opinions.
The reason that Downstate went down the list was the utter unprofesssionalism shown during interview.
We were made to sit in the hallway for interviews.
3 faculties left last yr.
Third year didnt even do their BMT rotation coz of "non-arrangements"
When I asked PD about how they will be able to sit for the boards as it is a required rotation, he was pretty speechless (he is a interim chair coz PD left)
Major faculty now is 2 yrs out from graduation.
One fellow described the program as "Pure Hell", and other saying " she cannot forget the face of the person that interviewedher during her fellowship interviews, and said he/she is quite happy to be here"
Both were third year fellows !
Otherwise, Downstate would have been somewhere in middle of the list.

I agree with Oklahoma being ahead of Syracuse.
The reason Syracuse was high was because of being in northeast, not much moving to do, already have NY license, and also coz I luved the faculty & staff during interviews.
OK faculty was pretty awsum too, but just coz location was a bit far away.

Thank again for your input, BRCA.
Best of Luck in your endeavors too !

how about the following list?

1-MDACC
2-Fred Hutch (although I don t want to do heme malignancies)
3-Vanderbilt
4-BIDMC,
5-UCSD,
6-UColorado
7-U Pitt
8-OSU
9-Indiana
10-OHSU
11-Columbia
12-MUSC
13-WSU
14-Brown

Should UCSD or colorado be higher or lower?

thanks guys and keep the advice coming !! :)

I have 2 questions!

Is a medium rare, dry-aged NY Strip Steak better than a steaming pile of dogshiz?

The Monte fellows I rotated with as a med student told me not to bother applying if I had other options.

1-MDACC
3-Vanderbilt
4-BIDMC,
5-UCSD,
6-UColorado
7-U Pitt
8-OSU
9-Indiana
10-OHSU
11-Columbia
12-MUSC
13-WSU
14-Brown

I personally think both OHSU and IU should be higher on your list, at least as high as Colorado (which should probably be above UCSD, esp if you don't want to do heme mal). And if Heme Mal is really not what you want, as great as the Hutch is, don't keep it that high on the list. You will do leukemia and BMT up there until your eyes bleed.

If you can stand Houston and working your ass off as a first year, MDACC is a no-brainer at the top. Vandy and Ohio St are great (but we're in the process of recruiting/poaching some great talent from those two places). And BI is probably higher than it should be on the list but that's just my opinion.

If you left it exactly as is, you'd do just fine.

Hey gutonc , thanks a lot for the advice man!!
how about this list then?

1-MDACC
2-Vanderbilt (what do you mean by snatching faculty from there? too high?)
3-U colorado ( too high? )
4-Indiana
5-BIDMC (higher or lower than indiana? )
6-UCSD
7-OHSU
8-U Pitt
9-OSU (too low?)
10-Fred Hutch
11-Columbia
12-MUSC
13-WSU
14-Brown

I personally think both OHSU and IU should be higher on your list, at least as high as Colorado (which should probably be above UCSD, esp if you don't want to do heme mal). And if Heme Mal is really not what you want, as great as the Hutch is, don't keep it that high on the list. You will do leukemia and BMT up there until your eyes bleed.

If you can stand Houston and working your ass off as a first year, MDACC is a no-brainer at the top. Vandy and Ohio St are great (but we're in the process of recruiting/poaching some great talent from those two places). And BI is probably higher than it should be on the list but that's just my opinion.

If you left it exactly as is, you'd do just fine.

Hey gutonc , thanks a lot for the advice man!!
how about this list then?

1-MDACC
4-Indiana
6-UCSD
7-OHSU
8-U Pitt
9-OSU (too low?)
10-Fred Hutch
11-Columbia
12-MUSC
13-WSU
14-Brown

Personally, I agree w/ moving OSU and OHSU higher on the list. I also feel that UPitt should move down, at least lower than OSU. The fellows I talked to from UPitt seem VERY unhappy (1st, 2nd, and 3rd yrs). They talk a good game about being academic, but mentorship is difficult to find unless you're very proactive, and the protected time isn't really protected.

Just my 2 cents.

By the way, I'm glad to see that someone else liked Vandy as much as I did. I struggled w/ ranking them higher than WashU and UMich. Wasn't sure if it's just because they sold themselves well on the IV day. Anyone else have an opinion?

The rumor about palliative care is not true. Some fellows start their first year in palliative care (separate application) and complete both specialties in a 4-year track. Clinical fellows does have a one month palliative care rotation requirement.

Malignant heme is definitely a strong asset of the program, but solid oncology has made great strides. New chief of division (William Oh) was previously the chief of GU oncolgy at Dana Farber. They just hired Marshall Posner from Dana Farber (chief of head and neck). They will soon have new senior faculties in thoracic and GI oncology in addition to the existing faculty. Definitely a lot of excitement around here...

Hey Tigeronc. No doubt about it, Mount Sinai is better than Montefiore. A couple of reasons. First of all, Monty is a very very overworked program, fellows stay there till late on a regular basis. More opportunities for research in Mount Sinai than Monty. More renowned attendings specially in malignant heme. Better contacts, waaaaaay better patient population. Monty might seem interesting because it is a NCI appointed Cancer Center (although not comprehensinve) but that is more due to the area where they are located and what they do for their population, than to quality being better than other programs. And above all that, the location for Mount Sinai is absurdely better than Monty.

Having said that, Montefiore is a very good program, and the clinical training is excellent. In spite of that, they finished last year with TWO spots unfilled.

Downside of Mount Sinai is their obsession with palliative care, and I heard they make their fellows do an extra year of fellowship in palliative care (not sure it's true, I didn't interview there).

Regarding your options, by far your best would be Fox Chase ( I might be biased :p), but I would rank Sinai second, if location is not an issue.

Good luck!

ok pitt goes down ;)
i like vandy a lot , hence the rank #2
looks like the consensus is ti move both OSU and OHSU up, but how much up? where do you think it should be compared to the others?
guys , you are awesome and thanks !!

1-MDACC
4-Indiana
6-UCSD
7-OSU
8-OHSU
9-U pitt
10-Fred Hutch
11-Columbia
12-MUSC
13-Brown
14-WSU

Personally, I agree w/ moving OSU and OHSU higher on the list. I also feel that UPitt should move down, at least lower than OSU. The fellows I talked to from UPitt seem VERY unhappy (1st, 2nd, and 3rd yrs). They talk a good game about being academic, but mentorship is difficult to find unless you're very proactive, and the protected time isn't really protected.

Just my 2 cents.

By the way, I'm glad to see that someone else liked Vandy as much as I did. I struggled w/ ranking them higher than WashU and UMich. Wasn't sure if it's just because they sold themselves well on the IV day. Anyone else have an opinion?

Dear BRCA, I am eagerly waiting for your comments on univ of nebraska...pls help.Thanks.

I was not interviewed there. Heard good stuffs from few freinds in Omaha.

• some of the faculties are well known e.g. Dr. Kessinger of stem cell transplant.
  • NCCN center
  • Good, safe city
  • Low cost of living with possibility of finding a job nearby after graduation
  • Diverse community
  • Nationally and internationally wellknown university
  • I would definately go for an interview there
  • Weather is cold but not as cold as in Minnesota or Chicgo

1-MDACC
3-Vanderbilt
4-BIDMC,
5-UCSD,
6-UColorado
7-U Pitt
8-OSU
9-Indiana
10-OHSU
11-Columbia
12-MUSC
13-WSU
14-Brown

Brown is an Ivy League College. It is unfair for Brown to be in the bottom of your list. Just my gut feeling. All of your programs are really good. I would keep MUSC in the bottom

Brown is an Ivy League College. It is unfair for Brown to be in the bottom of your list. Just my gut feeling. All of your programs are really good. I would keep MUSC in the bottom

So what?

Just because it has a good Fine Art dept or a good Economics program doesn't mean it has a great Hem/Onc fellowship. It's a decent/average program. They don't have BMT in-house (meaning you have to go elsewhere for that required experience), their research is minimal and their tertiary referral base is virtually non-existent due to their location (surrounded by DFCI, Yale and the NYC programs) and they're not an NCI designated Cancer Center (which MUSC and every other program on that list is).

depends on what you want to do : Clinical versus basic science. heme vs solids
roughly I would put them
1-DFCI
2-MSKCC
3-MDA
4-5-Fred hutch /hopkins (depending on your preferences)
6-Stanford
7-UCSF

I know this is rarefied air, but why ucsf last...I have more or less the same list and they're prob my #1

I wanted to get input on my rank list. I'm looking for a program that is well balanced between research and clinical work and that will allow me to have a good life outside of the hospital during fellowship.

1. Moffit
2. OSU
3. UCSD
4. Pitt
5. Wash U
6. UCSF
7. Case Western
8. Scripps
9. brown
10. Emory

Any thoughts especially on Moffit would be great.

thanks

top three programs on your list would be: WF, UIC, Cincinatti
don t know much about the other programs
good luck !!

Thank you Oncologydude,
Does anyone know how to rank these three program in my list?
Baylor, Tufts, Thomas Jefferson. Does UIC has to be in the 2nd place and Cincinnati in the third?

Please guys post your comments.

I was not interviewed there. Heard good stuffs from few freinds in Omaha.

• some of the faculties are well known e.g. Dr. Kessinger of stem cell transplant.
  • NCCN center
  • Good, safe city
  • Low cost of living with possibility of finding a job nearby after graduation
  • Diverse community
  • Nationally and internationally wellknown university
  • I would definately go for an interview there
  • Weather is cold but not as cold as in Minnesota or Chicgo

Thanks a lot for the info. It is helpful.

Thank you Oncologydude,
Does anyone know how to rank these three program in my list?
Baylor, Tufts, Thomas Jefferson. Does UIC has to be in the 2nd place and Cincinnati in the third?

Please guys post your comments.

I interviewed at baylor houston and found it kinda malignant, although I believe it has good reputation (for a clinical program).
Fellows wre happy, mostly doing clinical research, although faculty was trying to give me an impression that their fellows are big in lab research!
Its a good program if you are specifically intesretd in breast cancer- they have SPORE ans s comen fellowship.

Louisiana state univ at shreveport- any comments?
mayo, rochester- any comments?

I wanted to get input on my rank list. I'm looking for a program that is well balanced between research and clinical work and that will allow me to have a good life outside of the hospital during fellowship.

1. Moffit
2. OSU
3. UCSD
4. Pitt
5. Wash U
6. UCSF
7. Case Western
8. Scripps
9. brown
10. Emory

Any thoughts especially on Moffit would be great.

thanks

The only programs I'm familiar w/ on your list is Pitt and Wash U. I know that several of the UPitt fellows were unhappy (especially 1st yr and 3rd yrs). My overall impression of WashU is that it's also very busy during the 1st yr. The BMT service seems particularly buisy as they average ~60-70pts between 3 teams and plan to add a 4th team for an expanding service. Kinda surprised that UCSF was so low on 2 lists now.

So I just interviewed at OHSU and liked it a whole lot more than I expected to...:oops: Now I have to go back and figure out my ROL. I know I probably met gutonc at my interview, but does anyone have any input in where to rank OHSU on my list? Maybe #2 or #3, or is that too high? I'm mainly interested in an academic career in clinical research/outcomes studies and location isn't a big deal. Any comments from the peanut gallery appreciated.

1. MSKCC
2. Duke
3. Vandy
4. UMIch
5. WashU
6. UPitt

Is Virginia Common Wealth better or worse than U of Florida? VCU has Massey Cancer Center which is NCI designated, but Shands in U of Florida is not. The weather of in Richmond is better than Gainesville.

Can anybody help with this?
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Iowa
U of Florida, Gainesville
U of Utah
Columbia /Presbytarian
Univ of Massachusetts
U of Vermont
U of Louisville, KY
Tufts
Wetschester Medical Center
Montefiore, Brons, NY
Virginia Commonwealth University
Baystate Medical Center, MA
North Shore/Long Island Jewish, NY

Stanford oncology kindly rejected me twice...it is weird enough to get a rejection at this point but it is the second rejection from them.
One more interview at OHSU then will work on my ROL.

Finished my interview at osu and left with a great impression an here goes osu to number 2 on my rol;) will update you guys on Indiana tomorrow

Heard some rumors that the clinical training in MSKCC and DFCI is weak and fellows struggle if choose PP. Any input?

Many people eventually end up in PP after staying in academia for several years. Want to feel comfortable for clinical training even though would like to stay in academia.

Heard some rumors that the clinical training in MSKCC and DFCI is weak and fellows struggle if choose PP. Any input?

Many people eventually end up in PP after staying in academia for several years. Want to feel comfortable for clinical training even though would like to stay in academia.

Definitely a common concern about MSKCC at least. Probably a bit overblown but probably some truth to it as well. That said, I don't think MSKCC grads have much trouble finding PP jobs and I doubt they struggle for long if at all.

Friends although I am applying to PCCM I need some help. I got an email from a program stating that they cant search me on NRMP. Can anyone of you help me with this. Its weekend and I cant get in touch with NRMP so am a little anxious.

Had the same problem. You need to register with nrmp. ...

Ohio State v CCF v Nebraska...who wins?
Looking to do some meaningful research, but not have it overpower a solid clinical education.
Thanks!

Ohio State v CCF v Nebraska...who wins?
Looking to do some meaningful research, but not have it overpower a solid clinical education.
Thanks!

Research reputation-wise, you've basically got them in the correct order, especially for basic science but probably for clinical research as well. It's hard to beat a place like the James.

Sorry to keep asking about the same programs, but does anyone have any thoughts on the differences between the 1) clinical training, 2) research opportunities, 3) and academic reputation of these two programs?

I knew next to nothing about them prior to the interview, but I really really liked them both. Vandy appears to have the bigger name nationally w/ a larger dept and fellowship class (~7 fellows) but seems like it's on a recent decline w/ a lot of faculty leaving the dept. I'm not sure if that implies that faculty weren't happy there (and therefore it's a red flag), or if it's a testament to the program that they are so highly sought after. Is there reputation restricted to their region?

OHSU on the other hand seems smaller (3-4 fellows) but just received a large donation and the dept is growing at a fast rate w/ new faculty, etc. Portland wins in my mind as far as location is concerned, but I could live in Nashville too.

Anyone care to comment? I'm thinking this is just gonna come down to a gut feeling in the end and I'd be happy at either program...but I was wondering what impression others had after their interview day. Thanks!

Thanks for your input, Gut Onc. I heard the same concern from their own fellows when I was interviewed at MDACC. It is not that you can not get positions in PP. Actually with MDACC's name, it is very easy to get jobs even in PP. But their grats need some time to catch up in the first year in PP per their own fellows.

BTW, what about Hopkins and Mayo Clinic. It seems nobody talks about them. The workload is big in Hopkins but I think their training is very good. As for Mayo, their clinical training is probably the best among all big names. The city is lousy though. Such long winters.

Definitely a common concern about MSKCC at least. Probably a bit overblown but probably some truth to it as well. That said, I don't think MSKCC grads have much trouble finding PP jobs and I doubt they struggle for long if at all.

Anyone have any comments on Moffit? Just trying to figure out my rank list and I really liked Moffit, OSU and UCSD. Unsure how to rank those three.
Any help would be great.

Thanks for your input, Gut Onc. I heard the same concern from their own fellows when I was interviewed at MDACC. It is not that you can not get positions in PP. Actually with MDACC's name, it is very easy to get jobs even in PP. But their grats need some time to catch up in the first year in PP per their own fellows.

BTW, what about Hopkins and Mayo Clinic. It seems nobody talks about them. The workload is big in Hopkins but I think their training is very good. As for Mayo, their clinical training is probably the best among all big names. The city is lousy though. Such long winters.

Mayo was cited for lack of trainee supervision and hence was granted only one year of ACGME accreditation...thats a little worrisome to me!

A little off-topic, but for those who interviewed at MDACC, did the PD write back to your thank you letters?
Would also appreciate some help with the ROL.

MDACC
Baylor
UT SW Dallas
Fred Hutch
Georgetown
NIH heme
USC
Utah