Heme/Onc application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IV Univ Cincinnati via email.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

hi, i am from cardiology. could u tell me if hem/onc of tinnessee also ask for extra 50$? it is ridiculous.

Can anyone post their interview experience? I have mine coming up. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are the programs that I got IVs from:
1. UCLA
2. NCI
3. U of M
4. U of wash
5. U of Chicago
6. Drexel U.
7. USC

Rejections : I cant even count them anymore.

Here are mines:

1- BU , interview done. Nice program, good salary, good amount of research projects, very very friendly. (Imp: I liked it)
2- Baylor, Dallas: didn't go.
3- Albert Einstein/Montefior
4- UC San Diego
5- Duke
6- Cleveland clinic
7- U Min
8- Yale
9- NCI
10- University of New Jersey/Camden
11- Western Pennsylvania (is it good?)
12- City of Hope
13- UCLA
14- Tufts
15- University of Buffalo
16- USC
17- UT southwestern.

Total number of programs: 66.
Rejections: In total about 20-25.
STILL Waiting: Johns Hopkins, Emory, Indiana Uni, Uni of Rochester,
The most hurtful rejections: Almost crossed out by all NY and Pennsylvania programs (!?) :(
The most pleasant invitations: Duke, UCLA, NCI

creds: PM me.

Here are mines:

1- BU , interview done. Nice program, good salary, good amount of research projects, very very friendly. (Imp: I liked it)
2- Baylor, Dallas: didn't go.
3- Albert Einstein/Montefior
4- UC San Diego
5- Duke
6- Cleveland clinic
7- U Min
8- Yale
9- NCI
10- University of New Jersey/Camden
11- Western Pennsylvania (is it good?)
12- City of Hope
13- UCLA
14- Tufts
15- University of Buffalo
16- USC
17- UT southwestern.

Total number of programs: 66.
Rejections: In total about 20-25.
STILL Waiting: Johns Hopkins, Emory, Indiana Uni, Uni of Rochester,
The most hurtful rejections: Almost crossed out by all NY and Pennsylvania programs (!?) :(
The most pleasant invitations: Duke, UCLA, NCI

creds: PM me.

Yes I had a similar experience at BU. Every1 has been so nice and looks like a very fellow friendly program. It is very academic oriented program, however BMT is weak. Not a great prgm if interested in heme.

True.
It's interesting how research interests differ. I'm more into solid tumors and more than that things like quality of life, health resources, etc... so really when program is very strong in heme, I just get turned off! that's why I didn't go to Baylor because I couldn't find anybody with same research interests there.

True.
It's interesting how research interests differ. I'm more into solid tumors and more than that things like quality of life, health resources, etc... so really when program is very strong in heme, I just get turned off! that's why I didn't go to Baylor because I couldn't find anybody with same research interests there.

Have you been to UMinn yet? Things may have changed since I interviewed there 3y ago but when I asked about solid tumors there I got "well, I think we just hired somebody who does breast, head & neck, GI and GU."

Their Heme Malig and BMT on the other hand was phenomenal, just not my bag.

Have you been to UMinn yet? Things may have changed since I interviewed there 3y ago but when I asked about solid tumors there I got "well, I think we just hired somebody who does breast, head & neck, GI and GU."

Not yet....thanks for sharing....will see if things have changed or not.. have u been to any of other places that I have interview?...any comments on any of those appreciated alot.

Can anyone post their experience at UMIN program. Heard it is a phenomenal program.

Not yet....thanks for sharing....will see if things have changed or not.. have u been to any of other places that I have interview?...any comments on any of those appreciated alot.

Nope. Interviewed @ BU and Monte for residency but not fellowship and declined an interview @ UCLA. Didn't apply to any of the others.

Nope. Interviewed @ BU and Monte for residency but not fellowship and declined an interview @ UCLA. Didn't apply to any of the others.
Thanks.... wow! UCLA??... any specific reason if I may ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.... wow! UCLA??... any specific reason if I may ask.

I heard the program is highly disorganized. This is again hearsay. It would be great if any1 can share their experience or information about the UCLA program.

Robert Wood Johnson

Can anyone comment on the quality of this program?

:thumbup:SUNY Buffalo (Roswell)....2nd round (ithink). haven't been to any IV yet...will post.

Has anyone heard anything from UAB?

:thumbup: emory via email 2 days ago... although they haven't offered interview dates yet (they say they'll send f/u email in a week).

has anyone heard from UPenn, JHopkins, Miami (Fl.)? those are the 3 I'm waiting on and haven't seen any posts positive or negative on any of them...

Robert Wood Johnson

It is a decent university program in central Jersey and a part of CINJ (Cancer Institute of New Jersey).

heard from hopkins today by email (various dates march/april)
heard from upenn by email end of jan (dates in feb/march/april)

How is the program. Do they take outside inside candidates only or outside too. What kind of candidates are they lookign for. Any comments?

I got an IV from UAB about 10 days ago... I think it is a strong program, but would like more input.

I haven't heard about Uni of Miami either...

Did anyone got iVs or rejections from Georgetown? I am still waiting on this program...

Thank you so much and good luck to all of us

Helops

Does anybody know if NYU, Columbia,or Mt. Sinai are still reviewing applications???? I have heard from other residents in my program that they have received rejections from all three places, but I have not heard from them yet. Please provide input. Thanks!

Does anybody know if NYU, Columbia,or Mt. Sinai are still reviewing applications???? I have heard from other residents in my program that they have received rejections from all three places, but I have not heard from them yet. Please provide input. Thanks!

There have been members of this forum that have posted receiving interviews from all three of these programs. I have not heard back from any of them either regarding interview or rejection. I know for a fact that Mount Sinai had a late start in reviewing applications due to a change in the fellowship leadership (ie program director and department chief).

Hope this helps...

There have been members of this forum that have posted receiving interviews from all three of these programs. I have not heard back from any of them either regarding interview or rejection. I know for a fact that Mount Sinai had a late start in reviewing applications due to a change in the fellowship leadership (ie program director and department chief).

Hope this helps...

Thanks metroMD!

Rej: University of Colorado :( I've forgot to send my usmle scores...
Iv: Drexel.

Review: Albert Einstein/Montefior

IV day: 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
# of interviewer: 4
Accommodation provided:No
# of applicants interviewed in one day:6-7
# of positions: 7-8
Clinical: HARDCORE! all Bronx will be seen by you.
Authority: ALOT! seemed like you can do whatever you want except for opening pt thorax!
Helping hands: residents, interns, PA, NP.... help from attendings? very little at least that's my impression.
Research: HARDCORE BASIC SCIENCE. if you like this type of research you are in AE aka HEAVEN! you will be presented multiple times about the importance of basic science in AE.
Neighborhood: so-so.
Allowance: subsidized housing.
FLOWs: not extremely happy, though not sad at all. it seems if you survive first year, then things get better but first year could be HELL.
Facilities: Montefior is an old hospital, they are trying to modernize it little by little but definitely "hospital look" was not their first priority.
Mentorship: not very strong.
Flows destination: mostly private practice.
Interviewers: so-so, one interviewer was rude, the other asked to be told an interesting case! (what's the value of this question?).
Overall score: 5.5/10

Hope this helps....

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about St. Vincent's program. Just got an IV there. Also, has anyone heard from GW or Georgetown. Thanks!

Dartmouth still reviewing applications. (due to high number of applications)

Hi,
Does anyone out there have any insight into Stroger/Cook County Chicago? Am sure that they are very busy. Any other comments ?
Thanks

IV from University of Miami and Georgetown this week :)

Interview from GW yesterday by email. Can interview any Wednesday or Friday from the middle of February to the middle of May.

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about St. Vincent's program. Just got an IV there. Also, has anyone heard from GW or Georgetown. Thanks!

Interviewed there back in early January...let's just say it will Not be high on my rank list...

Did anyone who interviewed at Columbia receive reply to thank you letter from the PD or any feedback regarding the interview? Thanks!

Did anyone who interviewed at Columbia receive reply to thank you letter from the PD or any feedback regarding the interview? Thanks!

recieved generic, but nice, email from PD a couple weeks after my IV stating they thought I was good applicant, encourage further ?'s, etc.

My IV went OK. letsdosomegood, was the email a reply to your thank you letter or the PD sent you email first? Did they mention that they will rank you high, etc? Thanks a lot!

recieved generic, but nice, email from PD a couple weeks after my IV stating they thought I was good applicant, encourage further ?'s, etc.

I also have same Q.
How is baystate?
Debating whether or not to go...:idea:

Well it all depends on how many interviews you have. I just have a couple and not so much choice. I was wondering how life would be with just on fellow each year. Do u mind sharing your credentials and also whether you are close to MA. All the best

I'm IMG, STEP1 and 2 in 90's. Not PHD (only MD).
No publication.
Currently at community hospital- weakly associated with university.

Applied 100+ program, got IV from about 20+.

I'm IMG, STEP1 and 2 in 90's. Not PHD (only MD).
No publication.
Currently at community hospital- weakly associated with university.

Applied 100+ program, got IV from about 20+.

So then it depends on the 20+ interviews you got. If they're all @ other community or "weak" programs (please note that I'm not necessarily equating community with weak here) then you should probably decide if you want to be in Western Mass for the next 3 years. I don't know much about the program unfortunately.

If OTOH, all your other interviews are @ fair to good Univ programs, you could probably cancel Baystate.

Good Luck.

Now that we are almost done with getting IVs, it would be gr8 if we send our IV experiences, it may help other people.

ps) @ times it's frustrating to see some people are just consumers without sharing their 2 cents.

My first interview was at MUSC (South Carolina).
Small program, only 3 fellows. Very clinically oriented, I think the fellows leave the program with very solid clinical skills.
Majority of the fellows go to private practice or part time academia... Good moonlighting opportunities in town.
Charleston is a small and very friend city, apparently everybody is happy to live there.
The cancer director is very supportive of fellows who are interested in doing research, although you might find so lack of mentorship because the program is small.. But, if you are motivated, I think you can find your way...
My personal opinion: I can see myself happy at MUSC, although will have to work a little harder to get my research going...

Please, let's continue to share experiences... who is next to post?

Status
Not open for further replies.