Heme/Onc application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see this listed but got an interview from Indiana: no dates listed yet

Members don't see this ad.

congraat, i was hoping for IU but it seems no news is bad news:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize for hijacking the thread. I am an IMG and I have to submit my IM rol today. I am stuck as I cant decide whether to rank H1 places higher (Iowa, OSU, UAMS) or to prefer J1 (UTSW, ..) Do you really lose out on your chances at "big names" when u apply for Hem/Onc if you have h1?
I will really appreciate if you could throw some light. Thanks a lot. God luck.:thumbup:

I do think that being on an H1B hurts your chances as far as fellowship goes. One is not eligible to apply for approx. 40% of programs. Before I applied, I got in touch with programs who do not explicitly talk about their visa policies on their website. Some said they sponsor only J1 and since I had no problem doing my fellowship on J1, they would consider my application. There were others who said that even though they sponsor J1s and I was OK with it, they would NOT consider my application since I am on H1B now. I checked the websites of some programs who say that they sponsor H1B and in reality they do not have anyone on H1Bs in all their 3 years. Yet others have said that they sponsor visas for those highly qualified such as those with PhDs. The thing is, a lot of programs depend on NIH training grant and programs cannot avail of them for fellows on H1B. So the cost to the program in the 2nd and 3rd year comes to about $150,000 per year for anyone on H1B. A lot of big programs who have a lot of resources are the ones to sponsor H1Bs more willingly. That being said, a lot of fellows are getting in with H1Bs and programs are more willing to sponsor visas for their own and so I would urge you to look at IM programs that take their own. So going back to your question, you will possibly not lose out on big names except for perhaps NIH if you are on H1B.

My visa thoughts: I did a lot of research on J1 vs. H1B and my personal opinion is to go for H1B since it makes life easier. In case I do not make it this year, I will reapply with my green card. I am not willing to work in an underserved area for years to get my J1 waiver after completion of my fellowship since it may take me away from the academic setting where I want to be. You do have a good list of programs to rank and I feel that with some research during your residency, you should be able to get into a good fellowship program even with an H1B.
Just my 2 cents. All the best for the residency match!

Btw, Barnes-Jewish Hospital (WashU) is considered to be in an underserved area!!! Plenty of underserved areas in Philly as well. So getting a J-1 does not equate to the end of the world.

Btw, Barnes-Jewish Hospital (WashU) is considered to be in an underserved area!!! Plenty of underserved areas in Philly as well. So getting a J-1 does not equate to the end of the world.

Totally agree with you. For that matter there are good VAs attached to big academic centers that do qualify for J1 waivers. For me its just a personal choice since I want to do away with as many uncertainties as I can. I talked to the lawyer who's currently looking at my green card applications and it just seemed to make more sense to be on H1B for me. In another message board dedicated to visa issues I was strongly advised by physicans who are/ were on J1 to stay off J1 and, although I do not agree with their assessment of the grimness of the situation, I see the benefits of being on H1B. But of course, J1 is not the end of the world by any stretch and it definitely opens a great many programs (residency and fellowship) for you.

My IV went OK. letsdosomegood, was the email a reply to your thank you letter or the PD sent you email first? Did they mention that they will rank you high, etc? Thanks a lot!

the PD emailed me first (I actually hadn't sent a thank you specifically to the PD, only to my individual interviewers). They didn't mention anything specifically related to ranking me, only that they were "impressed with [my] application" and "we encourage your continued interest in Columbia." Like I said, it was very generic, but encouraging.

hey guys, just wondering if anyone has interviewed at either place yet... if so, can you let us know how it went? I know they're both awesome programs but I'm still trying to figure out the main differences between the two (strengths & weaknesses)...
thanks!!!

:thumbup: Cleveland Clinic (via Email) and Lenox Hill, NYC (via telephone) today.

Cetuximab....i got an interview at Cornell last month (but am not interviewing till March). I also so that others have posted Cleveland Clinic interviews awhile back....wonder if these are 2nd round :confused:

bunch of rejections: Emory, Ohio state and South Florida... I think mine has dried up.

Review: UCSD

IV day: 6:45 am to 4 pm
# of interviewer: 2
Accommodation provided:No
# of applicants interviewed in one day: ~ 10 (but that day was an exception)
# of positions: 4-5
Clinical: Busy first year. You will cover 2major UCSD hospitals, Cancer center and VA hospital. very good number of BMT patients, excellent didactic sessions.
Authority: so-so. depends on the attending, hospital you are rotating and yourself
Helping hands: NP.... help from attendings? weekends u just see new consults (in 4 centers) you will be on call from firday afternoon til monday morning though.
Research: excellent opportunities for basic science and also almost to same degree for clinical science. both PDs are hematologists but they welcome research project in variety of fields. for basic science you can either work in UCSD and cancer center or use other facilities/labs in san diego that are not even affiliated with UCSD. For clinical research CREST program is available too.
Neighborhood: excellent
Allowance: none.
FLOWs: extremely happy. it seems if you survive first year - which you can - , then things get better. you can decide if you want to do hem/onc or just onc.
Facilities: UCSD cancer center is amazing. both from inside - research content - and outside - architecture - . Thornton hospital is beautiful. I visited Hillcrest, it's more like traditional hospital but still very clean. Didn't visit VA.
Mentorship: strong.
Flows destination: 50-50 PP vs. academic
Interviewers: excellent.
PDs: excellent, very calm and reassuring.
Overall score: 8.5/10

it's going to be one of my top choices. I have some family concerns that may not allow me to rank UCSD as top 3 in my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rush University by phone on Friday
2 dates in April

Does anybody have the numbers and emails for the fellowship coordinators at MDACC and City of Hope? Thanks.

Last edited:
Has anybody heard from Case Western, Univ of Rochester, or Brown?

Still waiting on close to 20, but these 3 I don't think I've seen mentioned here yet

:thumbup: Cleveland Clinic (via Email) and Lenox Hill, NYC (via telephone) today.

Cetuximab....i got an interview at Cornell last month (but am not interviewing till March). I also so that others have posted Cleveland Clinic interviews awhile back....wonder if these are 2nd round :confused:

Dr Scheff [cornell PD] was on vacation for a while so he did not review all the applications. when r u interviewing at Cornell. Do u have any info on this program.

Dr Scheff [cornell PD] was on vacation for a while so he did not review all the applications. when r u interviewing at Cornell. Do u have any info on this program.

Apparently Cleveland Clinic said this was also their 1st round as well---interviewing 35-40 for 6 spots.

From what I hear, Cornell is very strong in Heme and less so in Onc. It is also VERY busy (being in NYC)---NYPH residents are known to work very hard. PM me your interview date when you get set up.

it keeps coming:
U Rochester and U Pen rejection!

same here... no love from UPenn :(

I think we won't get anymore IV. and their rejection letters are becoming rude.
"we have already sent our invitations. if u haven't got one, then good luck!"

I think there is still some hope... especially since I also heard from Cornell just this past week.
argh...such a long process...

I hope so,
one two more would be reassuring.

That hurts baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad....
Johns Hopkins rejection! :(:thumbdown:scared::eek:

Heard today via email about another interview! Two dates (April 18th or April 25th)..Don't know much about the Galveston program.

Anybody has interviewed @ city of hope and/or UCLA. Appreciate if u share ur experience.

That hurts baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad....
Johns Hopkins rejection! :(:thumbdown:scared::eek:

Sounds like you're going to be OK my friend.....you seem to have plenty of good interviews. When are you going down to Cleveland Clinic? PM your date, maybe we will cross paths.

How did you get that Hopkins rejection, email?

I got it through snail mail! it was crazy! there was bunch of mails in my mail box and all of a sudden johns hopkins mail with rejection letter....
I'll be in "JAMES" 's state March 10... I'm looking for program which is strong in solid tumors and so far not a lot of success. Seems like if u like leukemia and basic science u r in better shape.
I hope everybody ends where they like the most.

I got it through snail mail! it was crazy! there was bunch of mails in my mail box and all of a sudden johns hopkins mail with rejection letter....
I'll be in "JAMES" 's state March 10... I'm looking for program which is strong in solid tumors and so far not a lot of success. Seems like if u like leukemia and basic science u r in better shape.
I hope everybody ends where they like the most.

I'm interviewing later in the month.....

I'm also interested in solid tumor work more so than heme. I recently interviewed at MD Anderson and it seemed to have a much greater emphasis on onc vs. heme, which was perfect.

Best of luck to you MDgoing4MPH.

Hello guys,

This week I got 2 more IVs...

1) Michigan State - I had to decline the IV
2) Hopkins - Sooooo happy.

Just came back from Moffitt, UAB. Please let's continue to share experiences.
OH, BTW, rejection from UPenn and Tennesse

Good night,
Helops

Congraaaaaaat Helops,
How was ur iv at NCI? how did u evaluate the program?

I had 6 interviews by 16th of February. I started calling programs and of the 30 odd that I called 5 (Wayne state, Thomas Jefferson, Indiana, St Elizabeth Boston and Cincinnati) sent me interviews. I would advise to call the coordinators

I am on H-1, MD only from community program with some research. Applied to a lot of programs. Got following interviews. Will appreciate feedback about programs and any who have already interviewed:

Mayo
Baylor
Montefiore
Cincinnati
Wayne state
U Tennessee
St Elizabeth (boston)
MU S carolina
Medical College Wisconsin
U Miami
U Indiana
Thomas Jefferson
North shore

Hello guys,

This week I got 2 more IVs...

1) Michigan State - I had to decline the IV
2) Hopkins - Sooooo happy.

Just came back from Moffitt, UAB. Please let's continue to share experiences.
OH, BTW, rejection from UPenn and Tennesse

Good night,
Helops

Congratulation Helops. How do you get IV from Hopkins? Snail mail, Phone or email? When did you go to UAB? How do you like it? I will go there at the end of this month. Thanks.

Hi GiantsChamps, would you please share your interview experience at MD Anderson? My interview is in 2 days. Thanks a lot!

I'm interviewing later in the month.....

I'm also interested in solid tumor work more so than heme. I recently interviewed at MD Anderson and it seemed to have a much greater emphasis on onc vs. heme, which was perfect.

Best of luck to you MDgoing4MPH.

Has anyone been to USC? Can you pl share your experience? Thanks.

Congraaaaaaat Helops,
How was ur iv at NCI? how did u evaluate the program?

I interviewed at NCI.

My 2 cents....
"....... Extremly ACADEMIC program. Thats how they sell it.... excellent program for folks going into lab based research with no clinical interest, but for a clinical academic position-- I am not sure if this is the best program. The PD, interviewers and the fellows unanimously agree that the exposure to bread n butter oncology is limited and over 70% of the oncology inpatients are on protocol and are not treated with the routine care. This I think is a HUGE downside to the program. They claim the few months at washington hospital should offset this but I really doubt.

Again if given a choice between the major academic programs and NCI, even with a strong interest in an academic career NCI would fall short because of this significant GAP in clinical training. However, if you are interested in a LAB based career with no interest in seeing patients in the furture this is an excellent program... [I really wonder why u need to do a fellowship if thats the path one wants to take.....]

Others who itnerviewed at NCI please add to this discussion. There is very limited information on the website and any information here would help people make choices.

Heard today via email about another interview! Two dates (April 18th or April 25th)..Don't know much about the Galveston program.

Historically a very strong program. One of my 2nd year hem/onc fellows in my current program moved from UTMB after the hurricane. He said the training in his 1st year was excellent and the faculty is top notch. However, I do not have much information on the status of the program after the storm, the only way to know is to interview there. The reputation is great. Was a strong program.

People who have interviewed at these prgms can u pls let us know if columbia, cornel and NYU provide subsidized housing for fellows..... and also can u kindly share ur interview experiences at these programs....

thanks

I interviewed at NCI.

My 2 cents....

Again if given a choice between the major academic programs and NCI, even with a strong interest in an academic career NCI would fall short because of this significant GAP in clinical training. However, if you are interested in a LAB based career with no interest in seeing patients in the furture this is an excellent program... [I really wonder why u need to do a fellowship if thats the path one wants to take.....]

Others who itnerviewed at NCI please add to this discussion. There is very limited information on the website and any information here would help people make choices.

Do they just have lab based research? I heard and I assume that they are strong translational and clinical research... aren't they??

Review: DUKE

IV day: 10 am to 4 pm
Program coordinator: excellent, one of the best ones I have seen.
# of interviewer: 6
Accommodation provided:No
# of applicants interviewed in one day: ~ 5
# of positions: 7
# of interviewees: ~ 40
Clinical: Busy first year. You will cover inpatient hem, inpatient solid oncology, BMT, consult, VA, excellent didactic sessions. you have night float system from 7 pm to 7 am . very nice.
Authority: so-so. depends on the attending, ward you are rotating and yourself
Research: excllent excellent opportunities for basic science and also almost to same degree for clinical science.
Neighborhood: so-so
Allowance: none.
FLOWs: extremely happy. the program wants to train those who are interested in academic position, though they don't mind if u end up in your office!...
Mentorship: very strong. I found this part of program to be EXCELLENT.
Flows destination: depends, one year 100% went to academic position, the year before that was 50-50
Interviewers: excellent. really EXCELLENT.
PD: excellent. main interest basic hem research
Overall score: 8.75/10

ps) I didn't like the city alot. Maybe if you are in your 40s with kids who are going to school, then Durham is a good city but... it's not NY, Chicago, LA, etc... compared to UCSD, Duke is waaaay better in resources but San Diego is waaaaaaay better than Durham.

Sorry Guys,

I have not had the chance to sit and write before today.

So, here are my opinions:

NCI: I absolutely loved! But, again, as was mentioned before, very very lab research oriented. Although, one can try to focus in phase I/II trials. I felt the PD and investigators trully want you to succeed. But if you go there, you have to be ready to sacrifice clinical training and practice... Nothing is perfect in life I guess... Don't go there if you want to end up in private practice.

UAB: OK, I did not have the best experience there... I did not have the impression that the faculty is interested in fellows or in truly mentoring fellows. But the program is amazing and growing. New energy with new cancer director. If you are looking for a more clinical program with some research opportunity, that is the place. But research would be offer to you on daily basis... But again, maybe that was me and others had a differnt impression. Please share your experience.
Oh regarding Birmingham, It was better than I expected. I don't think will be so horrible to live there as some people say.

Do they just have lab based research? I heard and I assume that they are strong translational and clinical research... aren't they??

Oh yes. they have excellent phase 1/2 program and also translational research. No doubt about that. The only downside is the CLINICAL exposure. Which i think is the corner stone for a clinical fellowship.

Sorry Guys,

I have not had the chance to sit and write before today.

So, here are my opinions:

NCI: I absolutely loved! But, again, as was mentioned before, very very lab research oriented. Although, one can try to focus in phase I/II trials. I felt the PD and investigators trully want you to succeed. But if you go there, you have to be ready to sacrifice clinical training and practice... Nothing is perfect in life I guess... Don't go there if you want to end up in private practice.

UAB: OK, I did not have the best experience there... I did not have the impression that the faculty is interested in fellows or in truly mentoring fellows. But the program is amazing and growing. New energy with new cancer director. If you are looking for a more clinical program with some research opportunity, that is the place. But research would be offer to you on daily basis... But again, maybe that was me and others had a differnt impression. Please share your experience.
Oh regarding Birmingham, It was better than I expected. I don't think will be so horrible to live there as some people say.

I think UAB has a very strong program. My interview day was somewhat similar and somehow the energy and drive to sell the program was lacking in the faculty that interviewed me. However, I talked to an recent graduate (private practice) from the program- it seems to be a very friendly program and facuty are really top notch and spend a lot of effort teaching. Excellent program to train well clinically and like any other major cancer center opportunities for research are plenty. Keep in mind this is an NCCCN cancer center and this center has one of the largest tissue repository. and all the resources are readily available to you for research.

Anyone interview at Hopkins or know people there? Are fellows happy? Are strengths the research, the clinical training or both?

Hey all, received an interview from Georgetown/Washington Hospital. Does anyone know anything about this program? Thanks.

Dear friends, those who have interviewed, thanks for sharing your experiences, can you also please post actual interview questions. It would be a big help to those preparing for interviews. Any advice appreciated. Do they ask details about your researches?

Dear friends, those who have interviewed, thanks for sharing your experiences, can you also please post actual interview questions. It would be a big help to those preparing for interviews. Any advice appreciated. Do they ask details about your researches?
Generic questions:
1. Why hem/onc?
2. Why our program?
3. Goal in 5-10 years?
4. Past training in hem/onc?
5. Where else you got interviewed? How did they go?
6. Family issues?
7. Any questions for our program?
No one asked about details about research so far.:luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.