Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Second rejection so far

First from U of Iowa
second Cleveland Clinic

Wayne state reviewing application ( I graduated from this place in 2004)

Loyola still reveiwing applications

I guess most of the midwest programs are early in the process of application review . Looking at the posts from the last year, it seems like second wave of interview invitation begins in Late January and lasts till 3rd week of February.

Members don't see this ad.

just got rejected by cleveland clinic!
Gotta keep going.
Good luck!

I will also join the cleveland rejection list.

Invite from AE Montefiori today via email.

Members don't see this ad :)
good news from USF-Moffitt today by email. dates are below.

Monday, February 12
Tuesday, February 13
Tuesday, February 20
Monday, March 12
Tuesday, March 13
Monday, March 19
Tuesday, March 20
Monday, March 26
Monday, April 2
Monday, April 9

I personally think we are still in the beginning-middle of interview invitation season.
Good luck

Agreed. This is still early in the season and many places do rolling invites. Many of my friends applying in other specialties haven't heard anything yet. Talking to people who applied to H/O last year, invites started coming out in early Jan for the most part. I think programs are still getting used to ERAS and the flood of apps they've no doubt received this year in comparison to years past is probably slowing things down even more.

ERAS may be great for the applicants but I think it makes things much more difficult for the programs since it's just as easy to apply to 50 programs as it is to apply to 5.

On the interview side...of 10 apps
Interviews: NYU
Rejections: Dana Farber
Not heard from: The Other 8

Agreed. This is still early in the season and many places do rolling invites. Many of my friends applying in other specialties haven't heard anything yet. Talking to people who applied to H/O last year, invites started coming out in early Jan for the most part. I think programs are still getting used to ERAS and the flood of apps they've no doubt received this year in comparison to years past is probably slowing things down even more.

ERAS may be great for the applicants but I think it makes things much more difficult for the programs since it's just as easy to apply to 50 programs as it is to apply to 5.

:laugh: Okay, so I will freely admit I may have been a little hasty with my "if you haven't interviewed at a program by now, they aren't interested" post from before...Thankfully, the more level-headed on this board straightened that out.

In retrospect, I agree we are still in the early stages of this process - I am just very impatient. I'm sure the coming weeks will bring a renewed flood of offers, so be prepared to ask your colleagues for coverage, folks!

Hi everybody,

Things are slower than expected. this time last year more was happening. Even my university's program has not reviewed all applications yet, and certainly they have not offered any interviews to anybody.

So far
Colorado - rejection by email.
Cleveland Clininc - rejection by email
Georgetown - Interview by email.
Dates from
Wednesday, Jan. 31st, 2007
Tuesday, February 6th, 2007
Friday, February 9th, 2007
Tuesday, February 13th, 2007
Wednesday, February 21st, 2007
Wednesday, February 28th, 2007
Wednesday, March 7th, 2007
Wednesday, March 14th, 2007
Wednesday, March 21st, 2007
Friday, March 23rd, 2007
Wednesday, March 28th, 2007.

Good luck everybody.

JK2

Mount Sinai invite via email. Dates from jan 25 to march 30th. Any thoughts on early interview VS late interview?

Hey All-

First off, I wish you all the best in the application cycle.

I am currently an MS2 and basically came to med school to eventually enter hem/onc. My research area is involved in the genetics of cancer and I have a paper coming out in Oncogene in a few months. My question is whether I will have to try to publish again as a resident. Also, is having a first author pub enough to try to get into an ABIM path w/o a PhD (assuming I have good letters and test scores of course)? It's not Nature or Cell, I know, but I honestly don't feel like I am going to have the opportunity to work on a project that went as smoothly and timely as this one.

I appreciate your time and look forward to reading your interview experiences!

Rejections so far
Tufts
Fox chase.
Some programs are still downloading like Albert Einstein at LIJ and University of West Virginia.
Any input abt these programs?
Thanks.

Awesome! :)
Got invite for interview at University of Colorado via e-mail.
Dates: 1/26; 2/23; 3/9.
Quite happy to go there for interview.
However, rejection from H.Lee Moffit.
So far, 2 interviews (FCCC, U of Colorado) and 4 rejections (Iowa, BID, Cleveland clinic, H. Lee Moffit).
So far, no news on DFCI, NYU, MSinai, Washu, Tufts.
Good luck to everyone. Keep posting.:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Invite from Emory via email: dates from Feb 7 to march 30. They will interview 50 for 4-5 spots. Good luck to everyone here.

thumbs up from MSKCC by email yesterday. :thumbup:

they are interviewing on 11 dates but have chosen 5 for me based on available faculty with common interests.

1/29
2/2
2/9
2/26
3/14

again, good luck to everyone.

cherry ghost is this year's germanIMG...;)

Good luck, go get 'em!

It is getting very frustating. No interviews yet, 2 rejections. Is the first round over already. The programs I e-mailed, are telling me they are still reviewing. Anyone can help me understand? :confused: thanks.

Interview from Ohio State University-James Cancer Hospital.
Got invite by phone call in middle of roundings in ICU.
Dates to be set up with fellowship program coordinator next week.
Keep Posting. Good luck!:luck:

I emailed many programs today and received the same answer.
still reviewing and wait till mid February,

I think most of the programs in Midwest have just started the review process after new year.

Hope get some good news over next few days.
Things dont look promising especially for some one who is out of residency 3 years ago.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask, i've applied to most ny programs and maryland/yale, interviews from only nyu and maryland so far, no other news... did anyone hear anything from other programs?

Hello future Hem/Oncs

I am new here, but I have been reading everyone for a while. Have several questions for you, guys:

1) I applied to a bunch of programs on the East coast and no reply. Applied to 6 programs in NY and nothing, not a even a rejection. What does THAT mean? When to expect things?

2) What happens IF one doesn't get anything? Is there scramble here? Does anyone have more information on this and how things happen?

Thanks

Good luck everyone :thumbup:

In response to your question.. so far in ny responses at my program were: nyu, einstein, stony brook, maryland... no one has heard from anyone else, not even rejections, my PD thinks its still early in the ballgame...

Secondly... matching is always tricky these days.. most places, especially community programs, already have in house candidates that virtually locks up the spots... even as second yrs, while applying, one should still try to improve their credentials so that if one has to reapply...

Hello future Hem/Oncs

I am new here, but I have been reading everyone for a while. Have several questions for you, guys:

1) I applied to a bunch of programs on the East coast and no reply. Applied to 6 programs in NY and nothing, not a even a rejection. What does THAT mean? When to expect things?

2) What happens IF one doesn't get anything? Is there scramble here? Does anyone have more information on this and how things happen?

Thanks

Good luck everyone :thumbup:

In response to your question.. so far in ny responses at my program were: nyu, einstein, stony brook, maryland... no one has heard from anyone else, not even rejections, my PD thinks its still early in the ballgame...

Secondly... matching is always tricky these days.. most places, especially community programs, already have in house candidates that virtually locks up the spots... even as second yrs, while applying, one should still try to improve their credentials so that if one has to reapply...

Thanks.
1) Out of those mentioned I have applied to NYU and Einstein but haven't heard jack. Must be bad news :(

2) Of course. It's just with residencies it's easier. This fellowship process is new to me and I am not as experienced.

Thanks for the answers :thumbup:

I guess everyone here is wondering what's the deal with programs that they haven't heard from one way or the other.

I scoured through last years forum notes to see if there was any objective data on the timing of interviews and to where people matched. It seems that yes there is an early round of interviews and people who get these do end up matching in a competitive places. However, there are posters who ended up matching at very competitive places where according to their posts they hadn't heard from until February.

If any of last year's posters are still trolling around, could you comment on the timing of an interview, ie first round, second round etc, and the possibility of matching at that program?

My conclusion based on empiric data from last year, is that you can match at a place that you get an interview later in the season. So hold out hope and continued good luck to everyone.

in reply to cherry ghost:
I don't know if indeed there are first round and second rounds, and that they somehow reflect ones competitiveness at the given place....keep in mind they are screening anywhere between 400-700 applications and are inviting in general somewhere between 1-20% of those....what I know indeed happened last year though was, with ERAS introduced for the first time, a lot of places got swamped by applications and realized half way through that they had given out all their initial invitation spots and either significant numbers of applicants had rejected the invitation or they found there were a number of "worthy" candidates still being screened, and thus usually in late february send out a second wave of invitations.
In regards to NY: I initially had applied to a significant number of prograsm all over the country including several in NY, mainly out of anxiety and concerns re my IMG status. During the process it became evident, that this time around, unlike residency, it did not appear to play a mayor role...anyway, what struck me, looking back, that while I had interviews at Sloan Kettering,Penn, DFCI etc I only started to hear from NYU Mt Sinai, Columbia much later in the process....I am mentioning this, as there seem to be quite a few interested in NY and it appeared to me that at least last year the process was significantly delayed for some of those NY programs..

Interestingly an excellent program, that started really late last year was Fred Hutchinson....and I know they where having a hard time to convince some of the eats coast applicants to go there for interviews as interview season was almost over here ( I believe they interviewed from mid march until end april)....I realized this year Fred Hutchinson was one of the first programs to send out interviews....so this is a process in flux and the programs still are adapting to the changes that have come with ERAS and the MATCH...
GL to all of you

interviews from mount sinai, NY and Mayo clinic, Mn. Mayo is interviewing on the following days:
Monday, February 19
Monday, February 26
Monday, March 5
Monday, March 12
Monday, March 19
Monday, March 26

Rejection from Mayo, Mn. Interview call from Ohio yesterday

Invite from Cornell. Interview only on three dates.

To GermanIMG: Regards to our hero in this forum :)). Thank you very much for still coming out to help us. Do you know whether Sloan and other NY programs are supported by fundings other than NIH training grants? I am worried that my lack of bona fide permanent resident status will prelude me from joining these programs. Thanks again.

Hey, finally got some movement on the interview invites again, huh?

Add Cornell to the list, by email!

Available dates:

2/12, 2/27, 3/12

Good luck everyone and thanks for keeping this website useful. Thanks also to GermanIMG and Cherry Ghost who keep the hope alive:)

Mayo clinic rejection gotten today by e-mail.
Good luck for all of us.:luck:

in reply to cherry ghost:
I don't know if indeed there are first round and second rounds, and that they somehow reflect ones competitiveness at the given place.

first of all, thanks so much for trying to help qualm our anxieties about this whole process. i'm sure we'll all be laughing about the process this time next year.

regarding first and second rounds of interviews, some programs seem to be offering interviews without officially rejecting apps. my guess is programs don't want to officially reject until they are sure they will have enough applicants to fill all the interview spots. does this mean if we haven't heard from places that have offered interviews then we won't ever hear from them? who knows.

has anyone heard from hopkins, duke, or penn?

oh yeah, also heard good news from cornell today.

continued good luck to all.

Always good to hear from Herr Doktor IMG...

Thanks all for your input...Having said that, I think the key is that this is the first full 100% real year (after last year's "hiccup") with the ERAS/Match system, so all bets are off. I don't think anyone can predict what's going to happen when.

Although, it does appear to me that earlier interviews = better chance at matching at that program, which I guess is pretty self-evident. Also, as germanIMG may have inadvertently pointed out, the more competitive places were heard from earlier...?cause for concern? Who knows, but just something I've noticed as well. Also, what can we make of just flat-out not hearing from a program? My impression is that a lot of places may just leave people hanging, if only to assure themselves a "reserve" pool of applicants in case their "plan A's" don't work out how they thought they were going to, without actually axe-ing anyone up front (but you are de-facto "cut" from their list if you aren't on the initial dance card). Whatever that means. Or maybe I've just been watching too many episodes of the X-Files...

I think in the end, we (myself included) should probably keep in mind that it's JANUARY still, and I'd only really start to get antsy if it got to be the end of February and March and I still hadn't heard...

Now off to start studying for Step 3...I'm taking it in a week. Is that bad?

IT's great to hear people with so many great interviews, when it comes down to it you really need good research background for top tier programs... In my program the MDPhDs/Chiefs with several first author publications had gotten responses from cornell/nyu/fox chase/einstein/mt sinai/hopkins thus far.. the US grads with only abstracts has gotten nyu/stony/einstein/maryland etc... Congrats to people with all those interviews...

I thought its probably appropriate to consolidate the list based on the postings on this forum as there had been many postings off late from applicants trying to figure out the response from programs so far. Thanks to German IMG for his latest comments. Personally I think we are running in the middle 1/3 of the application process which might last the next 2-3 weeks. Congrats to all those (Top 1/3) applicats who grabbed interview spots.

3 rejections and 2 interviews for me so far.....

1 - BID
2 - DFCI
3 - UWash/FHCRC
4 - NCI
5 - Fox Chase
6 - NorthWestern
7 - Vanderbilt - not in the forum
8 - UCSF
9 - Washu
10 - Iowa
11 - AE Montefiori
12 - Colarado
13 - U of Maryland
14 - UT – SouthWestern
15 - U of Cincinnati
16 - M.D. Anderson
17 – U Penn
18 - Tufts
19 – Yale
20 - NYU
21 – Stanford
22 - UNC Chapel Hill
23 - Cleveland Clinic
24 - USF-Moffitt
25 - Georgetown
26 - Mount Sinai
27 – Emory
28 – MSKCC
29 - Ohio State University-James Cancer Hospital
30 - Stony brook
31 - Mayo clinic, Mn
32 – Cornell
33- Hopkins

Good luck, keep going...:thumbup:

Add UT- San Antonio to the interview list.
I may be wrong but I don't think FHutch and Hopkins are inviting yet.

rejection House of God by mail:oops:
invitation Wayne by email:)

Rejection from Penn by email :( , but overall it's ok considering I applied to over 30 programs (8 int/3 rej so far), good luck to everyone!

Hey,
Got the most beautiful rejection so far. Very touching e-mail! :) From UPenn.

Invite from Thomas Jefferson via emai. Interview three days a week from Feb to April. Also email invite from Fox chase.
Anyone here heard anything from Yale? I spoke to them like two weeks ago and I was told I should hear something in a few days.

Hey all...

Anyone here apply to midwest programs? I've only received one invite from Iowa but no other responses from 11 other apps including Chicago programs, UMICH, and Indiana.

Invite from Thomas Jefferson University by direct email. Interviewing on Mondays Tuesdays and Fridays in February March and April.

Rejection from UPENN.:rolleyes:

Good luck to everyone.

JK2

Got a phone call and email from Mt. Sinai today! I'm surprised that I'm getting more love from the East Coast than the Midwest right now. maybe I should change my screen name ;)

...I got an email from MD ANDERSON today!!! I was sure it was going to be a rejection letter w/ the way it started out :laugh: Keep the hope alive everyone. Who knew that fellowship applications were just as random as residency ;)

I'm wondering if it's a full moon tonight or something, cause no more than 2 mins after I submitted my prefered dates for MD Anderson, I got an email from MSKCC!!! :D

I had pretty much written off both programs as pipe dreams so I'm obviously ecstatic! Although my Chair of Medicine has informed me that there's no way I'll get into either since I have almost no research experience, I'm still jumping for joy for the chance to just interview there!

For MEDONC2B: I'm in the same boat as you re: Midwest programs. No word from most of them. I know my home program hasn't sent anything out yet either

Like I said before...RANDOM :luck: Good luck everyone!

congratulations, that's awesome!

Thanks MidwestMD... congrats on the two hot interview spots.

reject from Indiana U today by email. They mentioned 250 apps for 4 spots. Who knew that many people wanted to move to Indiana?

Must be the slow pace of life here between the coasts delaying the process.

Wait to go, MidwestMD! Go get 'em on the interview trail...

Let us know your impressions when you get back from the interviews!

Also, has anyone actually gone on an interview yet? If so, let us know your thoughts!

Congrats Midwest MD,goodluck at the interviews. And to others with evites coming in.
Just got a rejection from Indiana. Emory has sent out an ERAS email saying that another email might accompany if selected for an interview and not to contact them thru any direct means.:) No sign of a second email. Does that mean a rejection? Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.