Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My entire application except one LOR was done in ERAS 12/1 and they almost all downloaded it that day. Only a few stragglers downloaded it on 12/4. I only applied to 20 programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to MSK and they downloaded on 12/01. Only heard from Dana Farber and Beth Israel, two rejections.

Columbia downloaded yesterday.
Darmouth, Emory, Cornell, Michigan have not downloaded yet.
I did not apply to MSKCC because it is almost impossible for an IMG with visa to get into (of course, for IMG candidates with PhD and strong research-I mean strong NEJM, JCI, JCO, nature-it would not be a big deal). I rotated there and there are some fellows who are IMGs but all with green card and strong research background.
Have not heard from any program.
Thanks to all of you. keep posting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for the info. Michigan and Cornell downloaded mine already and I applied late. Yes, Columbia started to download yesterday. Please keep posting. Good luck to all of us.

There was a lot more action by this point last year. Maybe we need to get more people posting, and less people lurking. ;)
HAM2 is the only one confessing to an an interview invite already. We should start a list when the invites really start.

I applied to 30 programs. The only update that I have received is a rejection from DFCI. Dartmouth, Cornell have not downloaded yet although I applied on 12/5 with all documents. Holiday season is upon us and so all is quiet on application front.

Happy holidays :)

Only applied to the base 10 programs so far (AMG w/ PhD and I want to stay at my home institution) including 5 West Coast, 1 Midwest and 4 NE. All but 3 have dl'd my app so far which I finalized on 12/15 (2 LORs have been mailed but not scanned yet) w/o any news good or bad. I'm expecting more action after the first of the year. Fortunately I have ED, Wards and ICU coming up so I'll be too busy to notice what programs are or aren't doing w/ my app.

Jasman: do you or does anyone else know if BID sends out interview invites by snail mail also?

i'm an FMG with a PhD. applied to 50 programs on 11/15. i have only received a rejection from Dana Farber.

Jasman: do you or does anyone else know if BID sends out interview invites by snail mail also?

Have no idea MNOnc. Got rejection from BI by mail and from DF by e-mail. Merry X'mas!

hello everyone. just got my first invite, NCI via mail. good luck to everyone and looking forward to more good news from everyone else.

hello everyone. just got my first invite, NCI via mail. good luck to everyone and looking forward to more good news from everyone else.

Congrats, Cherry Ghost! I find it interesting that, even with the ease of ERAS, programs still insist on using the USPS. Good luck to everyone! :laugh:

When did you submit your applications? First day?
I only received the NCI email asking for visa status. that's it.
waiting, waiting and waiting...happy holiday

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all...

I'm a fourth year finishing up interview season. How crazy is Hem/Onc for a DO graduate with a MPH? I will have a fellowship at my home hospital (which will be University based). thanks.

When did you submit your applications? First day?
I only received the NCI email asking for visa status. that's it.
waiting, waiting and waiting...happy holiday

i applied the first day, but all my letters, and most importantly my program director's letter were not in until last week. anyways, word on the street from last year's applicants is that most interview selections do not happen until after the new year. happy holidays and good luck.

Could anyone give me any information on the fellowship at Univ of AZ in Tuscon? I am only a second year med student but researching my options. Looking to find out how competitive the place is. Is the faculty easy to get along with? How much research is involved? I appreciate the help.

Also, if anyone knows anything about the Heme/Onc fellowship at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ I would also love to know more about that as well. THANKS!

Hope everyone had a relaxing weekend; I was in the Unit for most of it. Anyway, I spoke with a nice lady at Univ. Washington a week ago who told me that applicants will be notified about their interview status sometime during the 2nd or 3rd week of Jan. :luck:

Hey, guys!!!
As expected, rejection form BID by mail.
Sad but true!!!!
Good luck to all of you.
Keep posting

Hello onc-guy,

Sorry to hear about the BID rejection! But at least you are hearing from the programs you applied to. I have not heard from any of the programs I applied to. It can be a bit unerving....constantly checking my email box for news.

Does any body know what the deal is with Emory? Have they downloaded everybodies application........ and are ignoring mine?

JK2

Rejection from BID and Fox chase by regular mail.

Jack Tu,

Same with me! Emory is the only one I applied to that hasn't downloaded yet. No news since previous post. Happy new year and good luck next year guys!

emory, wake forest, dartmouth have not downloaded yet.
I have not heard anything from any other programs (besides rejection from BID).
anyone getting interviews so far???
GL. keep posting:) :) :)

I just received a refusal from University of Iowa.

By the way

I am an FMG

completed residency 2004.

currently doing Primary care.

Hope I get interviews and a nice position.

Just a reminder: When you post interviews/rejections, please post how you got the news...ie email/phone call/snail mail. It gives everyone else an idea.
:thumbup:

forgot to tell you. rejection from BID through regular mail.
just saw that Emory just downloaded my app. earlier today
GL....
Happy 2007:thumbup:

Yup..... Emory finally downloaded. No rejections or interviews yet. I called a handful of places and they all said thesame thing..." our faculty is still reviewing the applications, we will be in touch soon".

Good luck everybody. The action should heat up next in about 10 days.

JK2

Got interview at UT southwestern, Dallas by email yesterday afternoon.

I got an email today informing me my application was inactive due to wrong visa status ( I need H1b).

JK2

Hemefinder, sorry about the Iowa rejection. How did they respond, email I presume?

Got interview at UT southwestern, Dallas by email yesterday afternoon.

Hi nihmd , congratulations for one of the earliest invites. Are you an IMG, with/without research experience etc. if I may ask.

Anybody with interviews in hand from the NONeras programs! Maybe we can talk about them while waiting for responses from programs. Have applied to about half a dozen of them[noneras] but no response yet. They start interviewing much earlier if I am right!

I received rejection from U Iowa by email through eras website.

I'm an IMG from India, have a Ph.D. from the NIH and 10 publlications, 5 first author. I don't have any visa issues and I'm pursuing a residency in a community hospital in the midwest.

Thanks for the replies hemefinder and nihmd. I ought to check my eras website too regularly for messages now!!

Hey!
quite impressive credentials, nihmdphd! Sorry about previous rejection but I am sure you will get couple of interviews at great places soon.
Quick question guys: Do year of graduation from med school and age matter in terms of getting fellowship? I know it is really important for residency purposes but not quite sure for fellowship.
I have not heard from anyother program yet, besides rejected from BID.
GL to all. Happy 2007.:)

No love from the House of God.

Still not a word from all 20 places I applied. I may take up knitting...
:rolleyes:
If/when you guys get interview offers, would you mind posting how far out they are scheduling the actual interviews? My work schedule is already out through 3/1 and I am concerned about my ability to do short-notice interviews...
MNOnc, how did they notify you?
:luck:

Came via US mail. Hope you fare a little better.

hey cherry ghost,

would you be kind enough to share your credentials with us. i have also applied to the NCI and am hoping to get an interview. also, can you tell us how far out they are willing to schedule the interview at the NCI. thanks.

UT southwestern is only interviewing on all thursdays of february.

happy new year to everybody!

hey cherry ghost,

would you be kind enough to share your credentials with us. i have also applied to the NCI and am hoping to get an interview. also, can you tell us how far out they are willing to schedule the interview at the NCI. thanks.

UT southwestern is only interviewing on all thursdays of february.

happy new year to everybody!

Happy new year guys and gals.

Enjoy!

Is it Too Late to Apply for Additional Programs.

Hey, guys!
Hope everyone had a great new year's eve.
Just got an e-mail rejection message from the Univ of Iowa. It is a pretty good program and was expecting to be called for interview, but unfortunately, it did not work out.
GL to everyone.

First rejection of the year, U of Iowa.

Status
Not open for further replies.