Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New one I didn't see mentioned yet: interview from University of Rochester; they give you three dates to pick amongst.

Members don't see this ad.

are most of you still waiting to hear back from a lot of places, interviews or rejections? or are we pretty much near the end of the application season?

i'm still waiting on quite a few places, a couple of them i think a couple of people have received interviews from, but i haven't heard anything else. ones i'm still waiting to hear back on:

stanford, ohsu, usc, ucsd, harbor ucla, olive view/cedars

anyone heard anything recently from any of these places? do you think calling them or emailing them would be of any benefit?

thanks, and good luck everyone!

I heard from Oregon and know more people who also did. Haven't heard anything from the others so far...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm more or less done...I figured anywhere I haven't heard from by the end of this week is pretty much not interested or else I'm totally on the "B" list backup pool of their interviewees, in case their "A" list interviews didn't go as well as planned...

But, I can't complain; I've gotten more than my fair share of interviews, and some painful rejections, like everyone else. C'est la vie.

Great news from Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY.:)
Pretty Excited to go there for interview.
Interview dates only on 2/28 and 3/27.
Keep posting.
Good luck to all of us.:luck:

So far.. people in my program collectively have gotten invites from:

Cornell, NYU, MSK, Mt Sinai, Fox Chase, Yale, Einstein, Maryland, UMDNJ, UMDNJ-Camden, Stony Brook..

GhettoMD, How did you find U Maryland and people there? Heard they are interviewing 70 for 4 positions and have 5 of their own residents applying. Heard from them just before last weekend thru email and am going in March.

I think Maryland is solid, did not know that many interviews were given out.. and dont know much if they give their internal candidate much preference. Is ur info reliable?

Maryland has a great program Director... seems like the fellows work really hard during their bone marrow transplant month.. if admission comes in overnight the BMT fellow has to come in to do the admission.

Sounds like this year interviews are tough to come by...
Interviews: Own institution, Northshore, NYU, Maryland, UC Davis
Rejections: Columbia
Waiting: UCs and NY programs

Good luck to everyone... below are the ones that people at my institution have received interviews at:

MSK, Cornell, Columbia, NYU, Einstein, Northshore, Lenox Hill, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai, UMDNJ/U-Camden, Univ Conn, UC Davis, Maryland, Hopkins, Fox Chase, Jefferson, U Rochester, Buffalo, couple more in the NY vicinity

Good luck to everyone on their interviews

I've visited Maryland already and I'll offer some comments.

It sounds like they've made more invites since my group. They invited about 35 people in the first round. This was offered in early January. I can't comment on how many internal candidates they have.

They actually have five positions this year. There is a joint UMD/NIA (National Institute of Aging) fellowship position opening this year. This is designed for candidates more interested in research activities, as I was told that the latter 1.5 years of fellowship was protected by the NIA for such activities.

Its a pretty solid program. They are not NCI designated but are well funded and have a good body of basic and clinical research activities. The fellows do take a lot of call their first year but do mostly home/telephone call therafter. The facility is nice. Baltimore is Baltimore; as long as you bring your 9 mm around with you it'll be allright.

i guess i'm the first one to receive a rejection from ohsu here, just got the "no" today...

I think Maryland is solid, did not know that many interviews were given out.. and dont know much if they give their internal candidate much preference. Is ur info reliable?

Maryland has a great program Director... seems like the fellows work really hard during their bone marrow transplant month.. if admission comes in overnight the BMT fellow has to come in to do the admission.

Sounds like this year interviews are tough to come by...
Interviews: Own institution, Northshore, NYU, Maryland, UC Davis
Rejections: Columbia
Waiting: UCs and NY programs

Good luck to everyone... below are the ones that people at my institution have received interviews at:

MSK, Cornell, Columbia, NYU, Einstein, Northshore, Lenox Hill, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai, UMDNJ/U-Camden, Univ Conn, UC Davis, Maryland, Hopkins, Fox Chase, Jefferson, U Rochester, Buffalo, couple more in the NY vicinity

Good luck to everyone on their interviews

Thanks for the replies! Dresden and ghetto. How many people have interviewed you? It seems like a long one meeting with 4 of the faculty.

Got UCSF today. Since they only offered me one date and it's a day I'll be in NYC for MSKCC, not sure if I will actually get to interview there but at the very least it's a psychologic victory. Hopefully they have some other options.

I had three interviews... everyone gets Dr. Zimrin, the program director, and then the other two is from a panel of other faculty.. I had a great time there, people are really friendly... I actually got a lot of medical questions from one of the faculty... good thing I was able to answer them... but otherwise the other two interviewers were very laid back, asking routine questions... fact of the matter is on these interviews they already have an idea where they want to rank you... while interviews can help a bit, it can also hurt...

Members don't see this ad :)
Emailed Wayne State and got the weirdest response

Your Application has been but has not been selected for interview.

Can anyone help me decipher this sentence.

probably forgot the word received?
bill

Anybody gotten interview calls from University of Arkansas or Jackson Memorial Hospital/U Miami ?

Im new to the forum. I hear all of these rejections from varying programs. Some of these programs that i have heard others get rejections from i have yet to hear from in any light. What does that mean? Does that mean that i have been forgotten or that my application is still being evaluated? Can someone please help

Just looking at the applicants last year, there seem to be two waves of interview invites sent out, one in jan, one mid-late feb... I guess I am a bit of a pessimist, but i think we are into late interview invite season.. would not be surprised if i dont hear anything from this point on.. how frustrating, since there are about 20 programs that didnt reply to me at all... but im sure there are some programs that are still in reviewing process

I tend to agree, looks like it is too late into the interview process to get invites. Also waiting to hear back from 20 or so programs. I suspect it is either most of them will send out mass rejection emails at the end of the season or in some of the programs, you may actually be on the 'catergory 2- waitlist'. Even in that case, it is too late for an invite now, I suppose.

Just looking at the applicants last year, there seem to be two waves of interview invites sent out, one in jan, one mid-late feb... I guess I am a bit of a pessimist, but i think we are into late interview invite season.. would not be surprised if i dont hear anything from this point on.. how frustrating, since there are about 20 programs that didnt reply to me at all... but im sure there are some programs that are still in reviewing process

anybody know anything about MCG augusta, thx

so i was wrong...the waitlist is moving...Invite from UMich just now

..in a funny way..no email, no voice mail, just a text message on cell phone to call the given number ....called...the PD answered and invited.. strange but i will take it...

I tend to agree, looks like it is too late into the interview process to get invites. Also waiting to hear back from 20 or so programs. I suspect it is either most of them will send out mass rejection emails at the end of the season or in some of the programs, you may actually be on the 'catergory 2- waitlist'. Even in that case, it is too late for an invite now, I suppose.

Hello everyone. I'm one of the lurkers on the site.
Hopefully someone can answer some of these Qs for me:

1) Has Columbia given out any interview dates or are they doing this random interview business that they have done in the past?

2) Has Cornell given out interviews as yet?

Thx.

Interview from U of FL Jacksonville

I think both columbia and cornell have already given out invites...

In followup to invites, I called about 5 programs today... one said they have finished giving out invites... one said they are still reviewing and have not given out any invites... and 3 either said i was on their B-list or 'it is still being reviewed.' Again, by this time if you dont get a response... chances are not so great to receive an interview even though it is still possible

Hello everyone. I'm one of the lurkers on the site.
Hopefully someone can answer some of these Qs for me:

1) Has Columbia given out any interview dates or are they doing this random interview business that they have done in the past?

2) Has Cornell given out interviews as yet?

Thx.

I agree with all of the above - even if you are still technically alive at some programs, I am clearly on the "B-list" at a lot of places such that even if they were to offer me an interview at this point, the odds of them being interested enough to rank me is so low, I probably wouldn't even go (given the time/expense). At this point, my travel plans are set, and I seriously doubt I'll be doing anything to change them. In other words, for me the interview offer season is closed...

I think both columbia and cornell have already given out invites...

In followup to invites, I called about 5 programs today... one said they have finished giving out invites... one said they are still reviewing and have not given out any invites... and 3 either said i was on their B-list or 'it is still being reviewed.' Again, by this time if you dont get a response... chances are not so great to receive an interview even though it is still possible

Sorry, I meant to say have people been offered dates for interviews for Columbia?

Thanks.

hi everybody

have you heard from cook county hospital in Chicago....??

I think they will not send any invite they took there residents...:love:

Do any of you up North folks know much about Brown? Their website is a little thin on info.

Thanks.

Dear Colleagues and Friends,
could please someone advise me where to do my IM residency (starting 2008) in the North-East in order to have higher chances afterward entering Oncology?
I would like to do clinical research in one of the top cancer centers in the North-East.
I am a European 3rd year resident in radiation oncology in my home country, with high step scores and research activity.
Thank you.
Any advice would be appreciated. :idea:

Interviewed so far at Newark Beth Israel and Wayne State. Flight was cancelled to Alabama due to the damned Jersey snow but luckily was able to reschedule. Newark seems like a nice small program that work you hard, 1 fellow for each year. Interviewed by 2 attendings then taken on the tour. Has old ties with my residency program UMDNJ-NJMS so they knew all the attendings I worked with and got recommendations from.

Wayne State - Karmanos Cancer Center. Very nice facilities. Lots of phase I trials. Great fellows lounge. Long day of interviews. No introductory presentation. Started at 9:30 with the 1st interview. Interviewed with 4 of the faculty including the director and a chat with the chief fellow who showed me around. All of them seemed very nice. Stressed that they would like to recruit new faculty from the fellows. Was the only one there that day. Coordinator said they got about 300 applications and are interviewing.

2 down, 4 to go. Very nervous. Good luck everyone.

Mara

i also agree with clueless1's sentiment.

all of the programs i applied to have either interviewed or rejected with the one exception being stanford. while i still think its possible to get an invite from places, you're chances of matching there are probably on the lower end, but i do believe its possible, or they wouldn't have offered an interview at all. i don't think programs offer interviews for the sure sake of it. so, i'd advise not to give up hope and if you get an interview at one of your top choices, still go, try to knock their socks off, and hope for the best.

again, good luck.

on another note, anyone found their "dream" program yet and want to share what makes that program so great?

I agree with all of the above - even if you are still technically alive at some programs, I am clearly on the "B-list" at a lot of places such that even if they were to offer me an interview at this point, the odds of them being interested enough to rank me is so low, I probably wouldn't even go (given the time/expense). At this point, my travel plans are set, and I seriously doubt I'll be doing anything to change them. In other words, for me the interview offer season is closed...

I think Doomsday is not yet upon us... :eek:

especially those of us who have applied to many midwest programs. At least half of the "midrange" programs, including 3-4 in chicago, have not invited anyone yet. So keep your chins up. For those silly enough to want to be in NYC or other competitive coastal areas... good luck. :luck: it's a jungle out there!

I agree w/ medonc2b, the midwest programs (*cough Chicago cough*) have been disappointingly slow this season. I finally got the nerve up to call UofChicago today to ask about my status and the lady replied "Good thing you called...we'll give you a call back after we review it." What does that mean?!?! :scared:

As for more updates, Rush has sent out interview offers (only 1 date). I'm still waiting on Loyola though and then I can finally wrap up this interview season. By the way, after March 15th I'll be cancelling a bunch of interviews (my fiance is pseudo-couples matching then), so maybe a few more invites will roll out for those still waiting...you never know. Keep the hope alive everyone! :oops:

so far i'm still waiting on 5 programs, and i don't think they've sent out invites yet other than stanford, but i could be wrong, if you've heard from any of the 5 programs below, please post:

stanford
usc
ucsd
olive view/cedar cinai
harbor ucla

so far i'm still waiting on 5 programs, and i don't think they've sent out invites yet other than stanford, but i could be wrong, if you've heard from any of the 5 programs below, please post:

stanford
usc
ucsd
olive view/cedar cinai
harbor ucla

I too am waiting for stanford, ucla and usc. Already got UCSF, UW/Hutch, MSKCC, OHSU and Northwestern (all of which I'd prefer to any of those 3 places) so I've stopped holding my breath and will likely withdraw from those places later this week.

Guys dont give up yet... got my sixth invitation today from NYC academic affiliated community program... guess there are probably about 25-30% of program still in reviewing process... for example georgetown had told me they havnt sent out any invites yet

I too am waiting for stanford, ucla and usc. Already got UCSF, UW/Hutch, MSKCC, OHSU and Northwestern (all of which I'd prefer to any of those 3 places) so I've stopped holding my breath and will likely withdraw from those places later this week.

i actually received an interview from ucla a while back, so i guess they have sent out their invites. i think usc is just really really slow this year. not sure what´s going on with stanford.

got an interview at georgetown, I thought some people had gotten invited before and I was backup, but now I'm not sure, does anyone remember if they had given out interviews before, what have people heard about the program?

i have a question? I have average scores 87/88. i wanted to heam-onc fellowship badly. i finished residency from small community program.
i am thinking of a phd in translational cancer research? does this help me in getting heam-onc fellowship? is it worth going 3-4 yrs of phd?
please help? thanks

I think PhD is definitely a good idea... residents in my program with PhDs(with a big name heme/onc department, academic-affiliated but reputable medicine department), non-US IMG with great scores (mid 90s) all got interviews from top tier programs and all ended up at top tier places. The disadvantage in having graduated from a small community program is that: some programs only look at academic centers for its fellows, program director letter means little, no research opportunity, no chance for big name letters. Doing a PhD at a reputable place will erase all of that, as one can get multiple publications, and receive big name letters.. If you are trying to get a PhD, I will suggest applying to top tier research centers...Other option is to get into palliative care or bmt fellowship.. meanwhile u can obtain some research experience.. of course this help one's resume, but this is a bit risky, not a sure route as compared to obtaining a PhD.

i have a question? I have average scores 87/88. i wanted to heam-onc fellowship badly. i finished residency from small community program.
i am thinking of a phd in translational cancer research? does this help me in getting heam-onc fellowship? is it worth going 3-4 yrs of phd?
please help? thanks

It was useful. if you have to get a Phd, do they need a prior lab experience?i don't have any. what do they look to take post doctoral fellows?
thanks.

Just heard from University of missouri
Anyone heard from Moffitt or gainsville florida

Hi guys

Just aquick question regarding BMT fellowship.I thought it's after finishing Heme Onc Fellowship.Can you just tell me if it's after IM ,what are the places offering it,i didn't find it on Freida.I am an IMG graduated from a small community program very interested in Heme Onc fellowship with minimal research experience.It would of great help for me.I saw somebody posting already in bmt applying for Heme Onc.

Just wondering about a certain program. Roswell Park/SUNY Buffalo. Is this program a combined 3 year program. They don't show up as a combined program on the NRMP or ERAS websites. On the website for SUNY Buffalo they make mention of a combined program, but nothing concrete. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Another not mentioned yet: interview from MCW.

We have gone into the last phase (last 1/3) of interview calls for those of you counting on more interviews. This might go on until mid march. I have been updating the list based on postings on this forum. It stands at 75 so far. I think there are about 130 programs in total.

Mayo-Arizona, Tulane, NYMC (Our Lady Mercy), New Mexico, Staten Island, NYMC (West chester) and Oklahama are some which I have not come across on this forum so far.

Personally I managed 5 interviews, 1 wait list (what ever it means) and 17 documented rejections out of 60 programs (ERAS+ Non ERAS) applied so far. It turns out to be very competitive as expected (ERAS effect!!!). Let's hope for the best. Good Luck.:thumbup:

OLOM has sent out invitations, 11 dates available, one interview each date with four of their faculty. Does anyone here know about their program. On ERAS they show there are 19 full-time faculty members, a pretty large group for a community hospital

We have gone into the last phase (last 1/3) of interview calls for those of you counting on more interviews. This might go on until mid march. I have been updating the list based on postings on this forum. It stands at 75 so far. I think there are about 130 programs in total.

Mayo-Arizona, Tulane, NYMC (Our Lady Mercy), New Mexico, Staten Island, NYMC (West chester) and Oklahama are some which I have not come across on this forum so far.

Personally I managed 5 interviews, 1 wait list (what ever it means) and 17 documented rejections out of 60 programs (ERAS+ Non ERAS) applied so far. It turns out to be very competitive as expected (ERAS effect!!!). Let's hope for the best. Good Luck.:thumbup:

I have an interview of my favorate program in April. Is it too late??

OLOM has sent out invitations, 11 dates available, one interview each date with four of their faculty. Does anyone here know about their program. On ERAS they show there are 19 full-time faculty members, a pretty large group for a community hospital

it has sent out interviews 2weeks back, interviewing on fridays in march.

Status
Not open for further replies.