Heme/Onc Job Offer Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! Hoping for some feedback on a Job offer, I personally think it sounds good but this is the first contract I've been offered so would appreciate some advice from those with more experience.

3 year contract that automatically renews, adjustments made every 2-3 years to maintain market competitiveness

Base salary: 465k
Target RVU: ~5000
productivity: $90/RVU over Target
Quality incentive that can be upwards of $50k/yr in bonuses (with quality incentive, average $/RVU is estimated to go up to 106 from 90)

Incentives:
25k signing bonus at start
25k/yr x 4 years student loan repayment
4k/yr CME

With incentives and salary/RVU bonus, estimated year 1 pay is around $600k and estimated to be around 800k within a few years

Gig:
-A Location i want to be in
-hospital employed
-4 to 4.5 days/wk in clinic, average 18 patients per day. docs here seem very happy
-1 in 6 week hospital call, 2 docs on inpatient service at a time, alternating every other night call during that week. hospital is attached to clinic
-all on site support services including pharmacy, navigators, etc. and they are currently hiring more mid-level support
-36 days vacation/sick days per year

1 year non-compete clause.

Again, I think this sounds like a fantastic offer but really just wanted to ask if there's anything else I should be looking for or concerned about here.
 
Hi everyone! Hoping for some feedback on a Job offer, I personally think it sounds good but this is the first contract I've been offered so would appreciate some advice from those with more experience.

3 year contract that automatically renews, adjustments made every 2-3 years to maintain market competitiveness

Base salary: 465k
Target RVU: ~5000
productivity: $90/RVU over Target
Quality incentive that can be upwards of $50k/yr in bonuses (with quality incentive, average $/RVU is estimated to go up to 106 from 90)

Incentives:
25k signing bonus at start
25k/yr x 4 years student loan repayment
4k/yr CME

With incentives and salary/RVU bonus, estimated year 1 pay is around $600k and estimated to be around 800k within a few years

Gig:
-A Location i want to be in
-hospital employed
-4 to 4.5 days/wk in clinic, average 18 patients per day. docs here seem very happy
-1 in 6 week hospital call, 2 docs on inpatient service at a time, alternating every other night call during that week. hospital is attached to clinic
-all on site support services including pharmacy, navigators, etc. and they are currently hiring more mid-level support
-36 days vacation/sick days per year

1 year non-compete clause.

Again, I think this sounds like a fantastic offer but really just wanted to ask if there's anything else I should be looking for or concerned about here.
Aside from the non-compete, it seems pretty decent to me. And if it's in a place you want to live, I'd go for it.
 
employed setting, what is the average wRVU per patient? (typical setting of general practice). I have been following this forum for a while, I see anywhere between 2 to 2.4 wRUV. Below is the compensation part of an offer (initial one) I received. This is 5 days per week schedule, 20 patients per day with 4-5 new patients among them. Welcome any comments. Too low or average or anything else?
base is 500K, guarantee
anything above guarantee in dollar amount in a true-up
Avg wRVUs per New Patient Visit 2.81
Value of each wRVU for new patient $166.72
Avg wRVUs per Follow-Up Visit 1.93
Value of each wRVU for follow-up $45.00

I calculate 4 new patients and 16 follow up on daily basis (5 days per week and 46 weeks per year) = 2585 + 7100= 9685 wRVU per year.
Last year, my overall average wRVU/pt was 2.32, so the range is reasonable and I use 2.2 when doing the math for people since it's conservative. The averages given above are basically 992X4 so also pretty reasonable.

What I'm curious about is the differential wRVU values for new and f/u patients. Are they really paying 3.7X/wRVU for new patients compared to follow ups? If so, that's a really interesting way to incentivize seeing new patients. I have worked with physicians before who would refuse to see more than 2 new patients a day so they could pad their numbers with more, possibly unnecessary, follow ups (weekly tox checks for people on Q6w pembro, monthly follow ups on long-term tamoxifen/AI patients, etc). We tried a number of ways to incentivize seeing more new patients, but this one never crossed my mind.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last year, my overall average wRVU/pt was 2.32, so the range is reasonable and I use 2.2 when doing the math for people since it's conservative. The averages given above are basically 992X4 so also pretty reasonable.

What I'm curious about is the differential wRVU values for new and f/u patients. Are they really paying 3.7X/wRVU for new patients compared to follow ups? If so, that's a really interesting way to incentivize seeing new patients. I have worked with physicians before who would refuse to see more than 2 new patients a day so they could pad their numbers with more, possibly unnecessary, follow ups (weekly tox checks for people on Q6w pembro, monthly follow ups on long-term tamoxifen/AI patients, etc). We tried a number of ways to incentivize seeing more new patients, but this one never crossed my mind.
We used to get a multiplier for a new pt seen *provided* the patient was seen back within 3 months. The multiplier applied to both of those visits and was to incentivize us to see patients and to keep them in the system.
 
Last year, my overall average wRVU/pt was 2.32, so the range is reasonable and I use 2.2 when doing the math for people since it's conservative. The averages given above are basically 992X4 so also pretty reasonable.

What I'm curious about is the differential wRVU values for new and f/u patients. Are they really paying 3.7X/wRVU for new patients compared to follow ups? If so, that's a really interesting way to incentivize seeing new patients. I have worked with physicians before who would refuse to see more than 2 new patients a day so they could pad their numbers with more, possibly unnecessary, follow ups (weekly tox checks for people on Q6w pembro, monthly follow ups on long-term tamoxifen/AI patients, etc). We tried a number of ways to incentivize seeing more new patients, but this one never crossed my mind.
Thanks @gutonc. Yes, that is their intention to incentivize seeing new patients according to two MDs I interviewed with. I did not ask what happened in the past (such as what you mentioned that daily list was padded with unnecessary follow ups).

What will be a reasonable dollar value for each wRVU in employed setting (ball-park)? I know there is regional variation. What I gathered in this forum as job offers were discussed in the past was $90-100/wRVU. I was told by one of my local attending that rule of thumb is $100/wRVU.

The offer (compensation portion only) I listed out above is only $77/wRVU on weighted basis (given 4 new patients and 16 follow-ups daily). In another way, the annual production based on 4 new patients and 16 follow-ups daily, 5 days a week and 46 weeks, is 9685 wRVU, translating into ~$968K if each wRVU is $100. However, using the metrics from the offer to calculation the 9685 wRVU only translating into ~$751K. I appreciate any feedback/input.

Thanks
 
We used to get a multiplier for a new pt seen *provided* the patient was seen back within 3 months. The multiplier applied to both of those visits and was to incentivize us to see patients and to keep them in the system.
We tried the multiplier idea too, but the docs I was trying to lead at the time killed it off. We were going to increase total wRVU paid for an average of >2 new patients/clinic day over the year. So if you saw an average of >2 new patients daily (basically just one extra patient over that number in the course of a year) and totaled 5000 wRVU for the year, you'd actually get paid for 6000 wRVU. Admin was fine with it but the docs were convinced that they'd be losing money with that comp plan, despite doc-by-doc modeling/reporting of current volumes and comp plan vs current volumes with new comp plan and increased volumes with new comp plan, showing that nobody would make less money and everyone would make more, some by 40%.

I don't work there anymore. A bunch of really smart people too stubborn to get out of their own way. At least 4 of them have asked me to come back, recognizing what they lost.
 
Thanks @gutonc. Yes, that is their intention to incentivize seeing new patients according to two MDs I interviewed with. I did not ask what happened in the past (such as what you mentioned that daily list was padded with unnecessary follow ups).

What will be a reasonable dollar value for each wRVU in employed setting (ball-park)? I know there is regional variation. What I gathered in this forum as job offers were discussed in the past was $90-100/wRVU. I was told by one of my local attending that rule of thumb is $100/wRVU.

The offer (compensation portion only) I listed out above is only $77/wRVU on weighted basis (given 4 new patients and 16 follow-ups daily). In another way, the annual production based on 4 new patients and 16 follow-ups daily, 5 days a week and 46 weeks, is 9685 wRVU, translating into ~$968K if each wRVU is $100. However, using the metrics from the offer to calculation the 9685 wRVU only translating into ~$751K. I appreciate any feedback/input.

Thanks
Yes, $90-100 wRVU is kind of the "standard".

The numbers this group is offering seem a little off.
 
Just be careful, and try to understand the real reason behind the administration’s new pts wRVU decision. Make sure there’s no hidden or nefarious motive. I tend to be a doubting Thomas 🙂
If they’re hiring a bunch of new APPs at the same time, there’s a real chance you’ll end up doing the hardest part,establishing care, managing the initial heavy lift and then the patient gets handed off. You’ll only get pulled back in when things go south, or when there’s a difficult conversation to be had. The admin gets to show increased patient volume at year-end, but I’m not sure that actually translates into anything meaningful for your bottom line in terms of time spent, stress, and dollars gained.
Also, if you’re consistently seeing 5 new pts, your panel probably won’t be able to sustain that volume by year 3 or beyond.
 
Just be careful, and try to understand the real reason behind the administration’s new pts wRVU decision. Make sure there’s no hidden or nefarious motive. I tend to be a doubting Thomas 🙂
If they’re hiring a bunch of new APPs at the same time, there’s a real chance you’ll end up doing the hardest part,establishing care, managing the initial heavy lift and then the patient gets handed off. You’ll only get pulled back in when things go south, or when there’s a difficult conversation to be had. The admin gets to show increased patient volume at year-end, but I’m not sure that actually translates into anything meaningful for your bottom line in terms of time spent, stress, and dollars gained.
Also, if you’re consistently seeing 5 new pts, your panel probably won’t be able to sustain that volume by year 3 or beyond.
Thanks @Mehena for the insightful input. They have 6 MDs and 6 APPs and they are trying to expand into 8 MDs as the hospital is opening a new clinic in addition to current one. I tried to ask for some details about how new patients and follow ups are handled between MD and APP. I was offered that MD and APP alternates the patient follow up visits (by MD discretion). New patients only see MD. I will try to get some more clarify.

Can I get some clarify about this "if you’re consistently seeing 5 new pts, your panel probably won’t be able to sustain that volume by year 3 or beyond." Does it mean that I will burn out by consistently seeing 5 new patients per day after 3 years, which I can image? Or patient panel will be much more than 20 patients by seeing 5 new patients per day for 3 years given all of the follow-ups needed for treated and undertreatment patients, and etc. Of course, I do not have any practical experience of ramp-up from a fellow's perspective graduating next year.
 
Thanks @Mehena for the insightful input. They have 6 MDs and 6 APPs and they are trying to expand into 8 MDs as the hospital is opening a new clinic in addition to current one. I tried to ask for some details about how new patients and follow ups are handled between MD and APP. I was offered that MD and APP alternates the patient follow up visits (by MD discretion). New patients only see MD. I will try to get some more clarify.

Can I get some clarify about this "if you’re consistently seeing 5 new pts, your panel probably won’t be able to sustain that volume by year 3 or beyond." Does it mean that I will burn out by consistently seeing 5 new patients per day after 3 years, which I can image? Or patient panel will be much more than 20 patients by seeing 5 new patients per day for 3 years given all of the follow-ups needed for treated and undertreatment patients, and etc. Of course, I do not have any practical experience of ramp-up from a fellow's perspective graduating next year.
Your patient panel will be too big if you constantly see 5 new patients per day.

Which means you will end up having to let the midlevels see them, which will make the hospital a boatload (yachtload?) of money, not you. Alternating visits with a midlevel is NOT a good deal for the MD unless you get credit for the RVUs they produce seeing YOUR patient.

I would probably pass on this job man just the fact that they are playing games with the $/RVU amount for news vs follow ups is a major red flag IMO that they will always be playing games with you and it’s just a matter of whether or not you recognize it down the road.
 
Your patient panel will be too big if you constantly see 5 new patients per day.

Which means you will end up having to let the midlevels see them, which will make the hospital a boatload (yachtload?) of money, not you. Alternating visits with a midlevel is NOT a good deal for the MD unless you get credit for the RVUs they produce seeing YOUR patient.

I would probably pass on this job man just the fact that they are playing games with the $/RVU amount for news vs follow ups is a major red flag IMO that they will always be playing games with you and it’s just a matter of whether or not you recognize it down the road.
I totally agree. I was very suspicious at the beginning that they only value follow up visit at that low dollar amount per wRVU
 
Exactly as @HemeOncHopeful19 said. @HemOncCheng , there's always the option to say no to more than, say, 3 new patients in a given day if it becomes untenable to fit them into an already full schedule. I don’t think anyone would force you to keep seeing more, nor can I imagine a practice firing a physician for not seeing several new pts daily.
That said, the significant $ differential proposed in your contract between new and follow-up visits is hard to ignore, especially as more of your panel becomes follow-ups.
I'm early-career attending without a dedicated APP, and my arrangement isn’t structured in a way that allows me to leverage APP support from RVU standpoint. I already struggle to fit therapy pts into my schedule, let alone see 5 or 6 new patients a day. You can wing it if you're aiming or willing for 25+ pts per clinic day, but it's not sustainable for most oncs i know.
 
Hello everyone! I will be graduating hem-onc fellowship in June 2026.
I have a job offer - Hosp/Univ employed- 650K base for 7024 wRVU and then 100$/wRVU beyond that. 10 days call/month with 1 weekend. 4-4.5 days/week. 24 days + 5 days CME(in addition to public holidays).
They also mentioned this wRVU is solely physician generated(APP/nurses/infusion does not count).

It is in a rural- small town setting and I know that they have as many patients as we want/able to see.
My question was how many patients I will need to end up seeing per day in a 4.5 day/week to meet this 7024 wRVU(if only physician generated as above)? All the places I interviewed at had similar number as requirements so I was thinking of choosing this one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! I will be graduating hem-onc fellowship in June 2026.
I have a job offer - Hosp/Univ employed- 650K base for 7024 wRVU and then 100$/wRVU beyond that. 10 days call/month with 1 weekend. 4-4.5 days/week. 24 days + 5 days CME(in addition to public holidays).
They also mentioned this wRVU is solely physician generated(APP/nurses/infusion does not count).

It is in a rural- small town setting and I know that they have as many patients as we want/able to see.
My question was how many patients I will need to end up seeing per day in a 4.5 day/week to meet this 7024 wRVU(if only physician generated as above)? All the places I interviewed at had similar number as requirements so I was thinking of choosing this one.
I am graduating the same year as you are🙂 happy job search to you too @TTP2012 . You can use the quick math @gutonc and others shared, a few posts before yours, it is estimated on average (mixed panel of new and established for follow-ups), each patient is about 2-2.3, you can use 2.15 I guess. each year you are doing about 46 weeks (you can customize to your job offer though). Hope this helps with your math
if you do 4.5 x 20 patients x 46 x 2.15 =8901 wRVU, all patients seen by you.
also, discussed a few posts before yours, if you provide supervision to middle level, you should get some type of financial comp for that.
 
Hello everyone! I will be graduating hem-onc fellowship in June 2026.
I have a job offer - Hosp/Univ employed- 650K base for 7024 wRVU and then 100$/wRVU beyond that. 10 days call/month with 1 weekend. 4-4.5 days/week. 24 days + 5 days CME(in addition to public holidays).
They also mentioned this wRVU is solely physician generated(APP/nurses/infusion does not count).

It is in a rural- small town setting and I know that they have as many patients as we want/able to see.
My question was how many patients I will need to end up seeing per day in a 4.5 day/week to meet this 7024 wRVU(if only physician generated as above)? All the places I interviewed at had similar number as requirements so I was thinking of choosing this one.
If it is rural small town you should negotiate a base of 702,400 (100/RVU base) IMO.

If they aren’t paying you to supervise APP how many are they still expecting you to supervise?

10 call days a month will eat into your clinic time usually too.

Overall this doesn’t sound terrible but I would expect to be BUSY if they are offering 650 base.
 
If this is a busy clinic, you’ll likely meet and exceed the baseline RVU. Not sure why they raised it to 7,000, unless you're planning extended paternity/maternity leave or other long absences, you’re likely to reach that.
When I was hired, my threshold was lower (~4,000 RVUs) with a lower base salary(400's). I was told I’d surpass it and receive true-up bonuses—and I did by Q2.
Consider negotiating a lower RVU threshold and base salary, knowing you can make up the difference through RVU-based true-up compensation.
 
Thank you. I calculated the 9000 wRVU part as well with 20 patients/day but I was not sure if it would be the same if they counted only physician generated wRVU and nothing else.

I was going to ask for a base increase as well but they are giving me additional retention bonus every year and not just signing bonus, which brought my base salary to 700-750K every year.

They told me my inpatient will count to my wRVU as well but I will need to check with them regarding APP supervision part.
 
If this is a busy clinic, you’ll likely meet and exceed the baseline RVU. Not sure why they raised it to 7,000, unless you're planning extended paternity/maternity leave or other long absences, you’re likely to reach that.
When I was hired, my threshold was lower (~4,000 RVUs) with a lower base salary(400's). I was told I’d surpass it and receive true-up bonuses—and I did by Q2.
Consider negotiating a lower RVU threshold and base salary, knowing you can make up the difference through RVU-based true-up compensation.
They are giving me a protected base salary of 650K + 100K bonus for the first year regardless of wRVU so I can develop a full practice for reaching wRVU goal by year 2. They will keep the wRVU rate for year 1 if I do exceed that goal but I doubt I can do it in the first year.
 
I currently have 2 PP offers in the mid-atlantic region affiliated with US oncology network. I would highly appreciate any input on these.

Offer 1: Large group (40 med onc, some rad-onc and gyn onc as well) in the same area as my current employed gig in mid-atlantic. The only opening they have for me right now is at a satellite office (outside my non compete restrictions) where they have 1 physician working currently trying to add another. 4 day work week. No weekend or night call during the first two years given my non-compete restrictions. After 2 years, there will be an option to move to one of their other offices/locations if I want (closer to my current residence). Weekend call is 1:9 (call is equally split based on geographical call pools). Average volume in office around 20-25 patients. Current partner at that location is seeing 30-35 patients with APP. Disease mix 60 % heme 40 % onc. Office is on campus of the community hospital with no competition as hospital does not employ their own docs. Hospital weekday rounding will be every other week, with an average 6-8 patients on the list (no protected time for hospital rounding). Base is 400k for first two years with 2 year partnership track. Sweat equity for first 2 years. No buy in. Partner compensation is more of a socialist model with most of the income generated as profit sharing amongst partners (80 %) and small component of productivity (10-20%). I am being told that median partner compensation is 1.2 mil. Non partner vacation 6 weeks and partners have 8 weeks vacation.

Offer 2: Large group located in a more desirable area in mid-atlantic. Base for year 1 is 350k, year 2 is 375k and year 3 is 400k. 3 year partnership track with gradual ramp up of financial participation , 60% year 4, 80% year 5 and 100% year 6 onwards. No buy in. Partner compensation model is 100% profit sharing with no component of productivity. Median partner income around 900k. Avg patient volume in office is around 20-25 patients. Disease mix 75 % heme 25 % onc. Non partners work 5 days/week and partners work 4 days a week. Weekend call is equally split and will be (1:5) for that particular pool. Hospital rounding week is 1:5 with half day of clinics blocked (protected time) for the rounding. Avg hospital census is 4-6 patients. Hospital have their own employed docs as well so there will be competition. Vacation 4 weeks as non partner and 6 weeks as partner.
 
I currently have 2 PP offers in the mid-atlantic region affiliated with US oncology network. I would highly appreciate any input on these.

Offer 1: Large group (40 med onc, some rad-onc and gyn onc as well) in the same area as my current employed gig in mid-atlantic. The only opening they have for me right now is at a satellite office (outside my non compete restrictions) where they have 1 physician working currently trying to add another. 4 day work week. No weekend or night call during the first two years given my non-compete restrictions. After 2 years, there will be an option to move to one of their other offices/locations if I want (closer to my current residence). Weekend call is 1:9 (call is equally split based on geographical call pools). Average volume in office around 20-25 patients. Current partner at that location is seeing 30-35 patients with APP. Disease mix 60 % heme 40 % onc. Office is on campus of the community hospital with no competition as hospital does not employ their own docs. Hospital weekday rounding will be every other week, with an average 6-8 patients on the list (no protected time for hospital rounding). Base is 400k for first two years with 2 year partnership track. Sweat equity for first 2 years. No buy in. Partner compensation is more of a socialist model with most of the income generated as profit sharing amongst partners (80 %) and small component of productivity (10-20%). I am being told that median partner compensation is 1.2 mil. Non partner vacation 6 weeks and partners have 8 weeks vacation.

Offer 2: Large group located in a more desirable area in mid-atlantic. Base for year 1 is 350k, year 2 is 375k and year 3 is 400k. 3 year partnership track with gradual ramp up of financial participation , 60% year 4, 80% year 5 and 100% year 6 onwards. No buy in. Partner compensation model is 100% profit sharing with no component of productivity. Median partner income around 900k. Avg patient volume in office is around 20-25 patients. Disease mix 75 % heme 25 % onc. Non partners work 5 days/week and partners work 4 days a week. Weekend call is equally split and will be (1:5) for that particular pool. Hospital rounding week is 1:5 with half day of clinics blocked (protected time) for the rounding. Avg hospital census is 4-6 patients. Hospital have their own employed docs as well so there will be competition. Vacation 4 weeks as non partner and 6 weeks as partner.
Can you rephrase the question? Literally everything about job 1 sounds better than job 2?
 
They are giving me a protected base salary of 650K + 100K bonus for the first year regardless of wRVU so I can develop a full practice for reaching wRVU goal by year 2. They will keep the wRVU rate for year 1 if I do exceed that goal but I doubt I can do it in the first year.
If you feel you’d be happy in the location and your future colleagues seem like decent individuals, then go for it. Sometimes your gut instinct tells you more
 
I currently have 2 PP offers in the mid-atlantic region affiliated with US oncology network. I would highly appreciate any input on these.

Offer 1: Large group (40 med onc, some rad-onc and gyn onc as well) in the same area as my current employed gig in mid-atlantic. The only opening they have for me right now is at a satellite office (outside my non compete restrictions) where they have 1 physician working currently trying to add another. 4 day work week. No weekend or night call during the first two years given my non-compete restrictions. After 2 years, there will be an option to move to one of their other offices/locations if I want (closer to my current residence). Weekend call is 1:9 (call is equally split based on geographical call pools). Average volume in office around 20-25 patients. Current partner at that location is seeing 30-35 patients with APP. Disease mix 60 % heme 40 % onc. Office is on campus of the community hospital with no competition as hospital does not employ their own docs. Hospital weekday rounding will be every other week, with an average 6-8 patients on the list (no protected time for hospital rounding). Base is 400k for first two years with 2 year partnership track. Sweat equity for first 2 years. No buy in. Partner compensation is more of a socialist model with most of the income generated as profit sharing amongst partners (80 %) and small component of productivity (10-20%). I am being told that median partner compensation is 1.2 mil. Non partner vacation 6 weeks and partners have 8 weeks vacation.

Offer 2: Large group located in a more desirable area in mid-atlantic. Base for year 1 is 350k, year 2 is 375k and year 3 is 400k. 3 year partnership track with gradual ramp up of financial participation , 60% year 4, 80% year 5 and 100% year 6 onwards. No buy in. Partner compensation model is 100% profit sharing with no component of productivity. Median partner income around 900k. Avg patient volume in office is around 20-25 patients. Disease mix 75 % heme 25 % onc. Non partners work 5 days/week and partners work 4 days a week. Weekend call is equally split and will be (1:5) for that particular pool. Hospital rounding week is 1:5 with half day of clinics blocked (protected time) for the rounding. Avg hospital census is 4-6 patients. Hospital have their own employed docs as well so there will be competition. Vacation 4 weeks as non partner and 6 weeks as partner.
Offer 1 sounds like one of the new satellite branches of VCS and offer 2 sounds like MOH.

Both are good options in my opinion, assuming partnership works out. I would look at track record for making partner at each site and use that as the sole determining factor
 
Theoretically speaking, there are two amazing job offers. Both are community based, hospital employed, small groups general heme/onc positions in a more rural/less desired (for some people) areas.
1. base compensation (no matter of how many pts you see) of 730K for 4 days work week with 10-14 pts a day, no official call, no leuks induction or procedures.
2. 600K base ( not including additional incentives for APP supervision, quality metrics which can add up to another 20K) for 2 years for about 5400 RVUs, anything beyond that is ~ 125 wRVU; 4 days work week with 15-18 pts in clinic, no high risk leuks induction, no procedures, light call 1:5, no overnight calls.

Both have similar sign on bonus/relocation+ retention bonus annually.

What would you lean more to?
 
Theoretically speaking, there are two amazing job offers. Both are community based, hospital employed, small groups general heme/onc positions in a more rural/less desired (for some people) areas.
1. base compensation (no matter of how many pts you see) of 730K for 4 days work week with 10-14 pts a day, no official call, no leuks induction or procedures.
2. 600K base ( not including additional incentives for APP supervision, quality metrics which can add up to another 20K) for 2 years for about 5400 RVUs, anything beyond that is ~ 125 wRVU; 4 days work week with 15-18 pts in clinic, no high risk leuks induction, no procedures, light call 1:5, no overnight calls.

Both have similar sign on bonus/relocation+ retention bonus annually.

What would you lean more to?
$730k for 10 patients per day 4 days a week?

That sounds like a bamboozle to me unless you’re talking about some remote area of Alaska that you have to learn how to fly your own bush plane to the nearest supermarket
 
I was going to say, that job is the no-brainer choice...but what's the catch?

Cold, long and dark winters, but not remote. The offer truly sounded too good to be true.

My understanding that one can make a similar $$$ of money at the second location given the productivity model by seeing about 17-18 pts a day x 4 days a week? Or would it take more patients a day to reach that goal?
 
Cold, long and dark winters, but not remote. The offer truly sounded too good to be true.

My understanding that one can make a similar $$$ of money at the second location given the productivity model by seeing about 17-18 pts a day x 4 days a week? Or would it take more patients a day to reach that goal?
Either give more details or stop trolling.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
He/she PM’d me and I now believe Job #1 might exist but the catch really is the location which maybe they’ll share. If you and your spouse think you could tolerate it I’d give it a shot… but I like to ski.

My wife said hell no when I suggested looking there.

If you’re single and finding a spouse is important to you I’d probably look elsewhere.
 
Either give more details or stop trolling.
Really no trolling.

Should have probably asked the right question to begin with, how much harder would I need to work at location # 2 to earn close to what is offered at #1. Obviously harder, but given the wRVU, reasonably to think that I could see ~18 pts a day and still make that much?
 
Really no trolling.

Should have probably asked the right question to begin with, how much harder would I need to work at location # 2 to earn close to what is offered at #1. Obviously harder, but given the wRVU, reasonably to think that I could see ~18 pts a day and still make that much?
The math says yes. You should hit that 730K number with 15-16/d in job #2.
 
If you only see 10 patients a day I think you would get bored, and if you're in the frozen tundra that's just going to be a recipe for depression.
 
If you only see 10 patients a day I think you would get bored, and if you're in the frozen tundra that's just going to be a recipe for depression.
I can 100% agree with the first part. At 10 a day I'm bored. I'm exquisitely happy right around 15-16 a day. At 20 I'm fine but a little annoyed. 22-25 and I'm just pissy.

The frozen tundra is a magical place for the right person. And a nightmare for the wrong one.
 
Has anyone used Resolve or Contract Diagnostics for contract review and tips regarding negotiating? If so, would you recommend either?
 
Has anyone used Resolve or Contract Diagnostics for contract review and tips regarding negotiating? If so, would you recommend either?
I had colleague use it, pretty standard experience. I used an independent lawyer who identified a lot more kinks in the contract and requested further clarifications. Best $1000 I spent with that lawyer.
 
I had colleague use it, pretty standard experience. I used an independent lawyer who identified a lot more kinks in the contract and requested further clarifications. Best $1000 I spent with that lawyer.
Agreed I used a lawyer who was specific to my state and made a number of clarifications/recommendations
 
Would anyone know someone from New York or the North East? Or would you be able to let me know how you all found the best person for your state? (Dont worry I understand if the answer is the internet!)
 
Would anyone know someone from New York or the North East? Or would you be able to let me know how you all found the best person for your state? (Dont worry I understand if the answer is the internet!)
Google “Physician Contract Lawyer NYC”

Try to find a small office… the first one I called was like “it will be $X an hour if you get a junior partner and $3X per hour if you get a senior partner, no you don’t get to pick it just depends on who is available.” I did not go with their firm.

Even better if you find one that works in the city you are looking at because they may have experience with the local shenanigans in my experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone comment on the job market around Tampa specifically and south Florida more generally? I know the classic rule is that southern California and the Northeast US have generally poor job markets due to these areas being "desirable". Vs areas in the Midwest and South have strong job markets. Where does Florida fit into this? Seems pretty desirable to me lol
 
Can anyone comment on the job market around Tampa specifically and south Florida more generally? I know the classic rule is that southern California and the Northeast US have generally poor job markets due to these areas being "desirable". Vs areas in the Midwest and South have strong job markets. Where does Florida fit into this? Seems pretty desirable to me lol
Tell me you’ve never lived in Florida without telling me you’ve never lived in Florida 😎 people think it’s all Miami beaches when really it’s more like Alabama and New Jersey had a baby together.

I don’t know anything about the job market though I would assume it’s way better than SoCal / NE