Heme/Onc Job Offer Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SW, sort of a communiversity or in gutonc's words, "academic-ish" system
Days negotiable but starting out likely 4-4.5d/week to build panel, will also staff a satellite clinic 1-2d/week
$470k 2-year guarantee
Once it makes financial sense, I move to a 60%/40% model where I keep 60% of all wRVUs and 40% goes into a pool which includes other med oncs, surg oncs, rad oncs, gyn onc, and the malignant heme folks who do the same, these are then distributed to everyone evenly. Range for med oncs $650k-1.1m with median ~$850k
1wRVU=$110
Call is 1 week every 10w which includes a very mild inpatient service (3-4 patients) and consults. Overnight, APPs cover between 5-10p and then we cover the rest. Average 0-3 calls/night typically. No malignant heme/transplant (they take separate call).
Thoughts?
Metro or rural?

Members don't see this ad.

Days negotiable but starting out likely 4-4.5d/week to build panel, will also staff a satellite clinic 1-2d/week
$470k 2-year guarantee
Once it makes financial sense, I move to a 60%/40% model where I keep 60% of all wRVUs and 40% goes into a pool which includes other med oncs, surg oncs, rad oncs, gyn onc, and the malignant heme folks who do the same, these are then distributed to everyone evenly. Range for med oncs $650k-1.1m with median ~$850k
1wRVU=$110
Call is 1 week every 10w which includes a very mild inpatient service (3-4 patients) and consults. Overnight, APPs cover between 5-10p and then we cover the rest. Average 0-3 calls/night typically. No malignant heme/transplant (they take separate call).
Thoughts?
- What does the "academ-ish" part mean for you? Students, residents or fellows? Will they be useful to you or just slow you down?
- W2 or 1099?
- Benefits? Retirement match?
- Is the "profit sharing" prorated by FTE or productivity? Or is it "there's $2M in the pool and 20 docs so everyone gets $100K"? Because if I was a Surg Onc doing 10K wRVU/y and got the same "bonus" as the benign heme doc doing 4K wRVU/y, I'd be pretty pissed. Clearly the system works for most people or they'd have a hard time recruiting high producers.

Using my standard math (4d/wk, 46wk/y, 16 pts/d, 2wRVU/pt), your upfront share once it goes to productivity is ~$400K, so if the median is $850K, it sounds like everyone is busy and the "bonus" potential works out well in your favor.

Overall, I think this is a pretty good gig and if you like the location and the people, it seems pretty reasonable to me.

Reactions: 1 user
$470k 2-year guarantee
1wRVU=$110
Thoughts?
The 60/40 thing is meh to me but the overall comp sounds reasonable unless you’re seeing 25 patients per day (which you didn’t mention) and/or that satellite clinic is a long commute

Members don't see this ad :)
The 60/40 thing is meh to me but the overall comp sounds reasonable unless you’re seeing 25 patients per day (which you didn’t mention) and/or that satellite clinic is a long commute
I failed to mention the satellite clinic in my questions above. So...
- Satellite clinic: how far and how busy is it? Are you the only one working there? Is there 5d/wk physician coverage there? Are you going to have to cover calls/questions from there when you're not there? How competent is the staff there?

Thank you all - this is very helpful. It's metro. There are students and residents, but no fellows. I think having learners is great. I thought I'd have to pretty much give up teaching by not choosing an academic career, but this is an okay compromise. It's all W2 income. The profit sharing is productivity-based to account for "the changes in RVU rates between different specialties all the time". I really do love the place and people, there are 4 people who graduated from my fellowship program over the last 10 years that are currently there and are happy. 15-20 patients/day is the norm. The satellite clinic is staffed by 2-3 different med oncs each day staffed 5d/week and is 20 minutes away in a semi-rural area. As far as calls/questions they weren't explicit about how things are triaged (I never asked) but this wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.

That seems like a good deal for 15-20 ppd. Good payor mix?

Thank you all - this is very helpful. It's metro. There are students and residents, but no fellows. I think having learners is great. I thought I'd have to pretty much give up teaching by not choosing an academic career, but this is an okay compromise. It's all W2 income. The profit sharing is productivity-based to account for "the changes in RVU rates between different specialties all the time". I really do love the place and people, there are 4 people who graduated from my fellowship program over the last 10 years that are currently there and are happy. 15-20 patients/day is the norm. The satellite clinic is staffed by 2-3 different med oncs each day staffed 5d/week and is 20 minutes away in a semi-rural area. As far as calls/questions they weren't explicit about how things are triaged (I never asked) but this wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.
I think you've got much better intel and opinions from your programs prior fellows, since they are likely to give the straight dope to someone they "know".

But I'm not seeing any even yellow flags, let alone red ones, in this situation. I think you've found your first job.

just curious, how does payor mix impact the practice and/or job
It can impact the overall practice revenue. And that $110/wRVU has to come from somewhere.

But it's not as straightforward as most people think it is. 20 years ago, most commercial insurances paid multiples of what Medicaid did for the same charges. But there's been regression to mean since then and commercial is paying less and CMS somewhat more. My large regional (7 western states) hospital system was recently in negotiations with one of the big commercial payors. Their initial contract proposal paid worse than even Texas Medicaid...it was a joke.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
Ditto, I keep telling myself that it will be more efficient when I'm not limited by an attending but it seems like a lot from the fellow perspective.
It's "difficult to predict" because it's imaginary. Assume that you're getting paid those flat rates and that's all there is. If you're happy with that, and fine with the (what I consider excessive) workload, then go for it.

Let's do the gutonc compensation math here though...and let's look at a year 3 comp/workload example:
25 encounters/d
5d/wk
46wk/y (assume 6w PTO just for comparison's sake, it's the number both my last and current contract were based on)
That's 5750 encounters/y @ ~2 wRVU/encounter (again, a reasonable assumption, I'm currently at 1.96wRVU/pt since starting my new job in June)
So now you're looking at 11,500 wRVU/year, which is a 90th %ile gig
If I was moving that much meat at my current job, my annual gross would be a hair shy of $1M. At the Year 3 base salary, you're getting paid <$50/wRVU which is family medicine material. For oncology it should be in the $80-110 range.
@gutonc does this same hold in private practice too? How can we compare RVU value, I am generating 900 TOTAL RVU not wRVU and it averages out to 55$ per RVU, they have been saying it rises as you keep MLP but there is no real way to predict

Friends tired of a sucking private practice, very poor management with collections and no ancillary income. Ended up with low initial salary and waiting Million dollar revenue that never came…generated around 11k RVU

Please guide about hospital employed, open to any metro area but will like to stay South East

Friends tired of a sucking private practice, very poor management with collections and no ancillary income. Ended up with low initial salary and waiting Million dollar revenue that never came…generated around 11k RVU

Please guide about hospital employed, open to any metro area but will like to stay South East
So sorry to hear about your situation not working out in private practice. If I may ask, what are some red flag signs you noticed (now in retrospect) as a pre-partner employee of this practice?

I am joining a private practice after I graduate this summer and would like to know as much as possible in terms of what to look out for

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends a lot on the group u r joining. Best is if u know someone in the gp.

How they are going to support u in the initial ramp up? How are patients distributed?
Payor mix, satellite clinics, travel time, partnership track.

Current pay vs expected growth? Private practices usually allure u by saying potential growth. How will that materialize and what input u need to give to reach there.

Usually things are opaque in private practices and it’s hard for a new fellow to judge as u not only have to deal with learning curve but understand financial part of it.

Ok I'll contribute a question to the thread as I'm in the job market somewhat.

Talked to a group the other day "yeah this position will be Q3 call at one of our outlying hospitals, it is a 30-45m drive but you only have to go in if you think you need to otherwise can do everything over the phone"

That... what? Is there a world where that kind of setup is the norm and isn't as BS as I think it sounds? I'm guessing some of these "non-mothership" hospitals are lower volume but it sounds a lot like painting lipstick on a pig to say "yeah you can just provide verbal recs and get your name put in the chart while not billing us for it if you want"

How many beds is the hospital? Are you covering both mothership and the 30/45 min hospital. Maybe more info on the practice set up would be helpful. What percent outpatient are you at this satellite? Are partners also doing the same coverage?

Can ask the others in the group (it sounds like maybe only two others) how many calls and what they are typically like. Often with these systems if there is anything complex like TTP or AML, you tell ED to transfer to mothership.

How many beds is the hospital? Are you covering both mothership and the 30/45 min hospital. Maybe more info on the practice set up would be helpful. What percent outpatient are you at this satellite? Are partners also doing the same coverage?

Can ask the others in the group (it sounds like maybe only two others) how many calls and what they are typically like. Often with these systems if there is anything complex like TTP or AML, you tell ED to transfer to mothership.
Yeah that makes sense it sounds like more of that “send anything serious to the mothership” type of setup where you only cover the outlying hospital. I guess the idea of covering every third weekend is a pretty tough sell to me even if it is “light” but that’s a different issue

If the practice is truly growing, then it may be worth it and in a year or two in may be q4-5. Or not…. Sometimes getting on the ground level in these practices is good particularly private practice. May be worth a follow-up call with the partners who are doing this call and getting a sense what it’s actually like. Sometimes with the small hospitals it’s like round and go. Maybe get a sense the average consult census (presuming there is no primary service) and how many new consults, how long folks round until on average. But I agree it may be a tough sell to give up one in three weekends. The other aspects of the job like work schedule and compensation should make up for this…

Ok I'll contribute a question to the thread as I'm in the job market somewhat.

Talked to a group the other day "yeah this position will be Q3 call at one of our outlying hospitals, it is a 30-45m drive but you only have to go in if you think you need to otherwise can do everything over the phone"

That... what? Is there a world where that kind of setup is the norm and isn't as BS as I think it sounds? I'm guessing some of these "non-mothership" hospitals are lower volume but it sounds a lot like painting lipstick on a pig to say "yeah you can just provide verbal recs and get your name put in the chart while not billing us for it if you want"
Post-pando, I probably only physically went to see 10-20% of the people I got called about on the weekends...with the agreement of whoever was asking me about them. My presence in the hospital or patient room almost never impacts the care, and now that you can easily bill for interprofessional consults, you can get paid for it too. In that job I was only on call Q12-14w depending on physician staffing at the time, but it covered 7 hospitals in a 200+ sq. mile area where on a busy weekend you could spend 5-6 hours in the car and only 90 minutes actually seeing patients.

But if you're looking for jobs, I'm hiring. Q-Never call with 1 hospital to cover, >50th%ile pay. Just throwing that one out there.

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious… how is this model possible… who takes the weekend call and sees pt for random benign heme issue? Who covers the patient calls nights and weekends…fellows?

Just curious… how is this model possible… who takes the weekend call and sees pt for random benign heme issue? Who covers the patient calls nights and weekends…fellows?
I had the same question when I took the job.

I’ve explained it elsewhere, but I work for a large healthcare system at a rural CAH. There are 5 other oncology offices that are part of the system in the region. They cover my office and one other rural CAH as part of their routine call. In the 8 months I’ve been here, I’ve been made aware of a total of 5 after hours patient calls. There may have been more, but these are the ones that rose to the level of needing to be followed up on.

The hospitalists here basically know that if it needs an urgent hem/onc opinion, it’s probably something they shouldn’t be handling anyway and just ship the patient to the mothership hospital 60 miles away.

I am a second year fellow interviewing for 2025 jobs in Indiana/Illinois. Got an offer I would appreciate some feedback on. Rural hospital system about an hour from a metro area. Would be fifth oncologist there. Would plan to commute an hour as most of the physicians do.

Base 600k x2 years, then move to productivity 105/wRVU (though they say they are changing systems soon, something about number of wRVU going up and dollar per wRVU dropping to 85 in two years, but they aren’t projecting any big change in actual compensation? Anyone hear of anything like this regarding a big upcoming change in outpatient RVU calculation?) 4 days of clinic with 1 admin day, though they did seem to insinuate that some pick up an extra half day after the initial two years to maintain or increase their compensation. 1:5 call including hospital consults anywhere from 2-12 on the list daily including follow ups, some NP support inpatient during the week.

They have sign on bonus of 100k but it’s paid out 20k on start, then 20k annually for 5 years total. If you leave at some point within 5 years, you pay back a prorated portion of that year’s 20k. 3k CME a year. 30 days vacation a year which includes CME.

The base salary seems good, but the commute (the immediate area is quite isolated and not a good place to raise a family, thus everyone commutes) could get tiring. The sign on bonus does not seem like a real sign on bonus and I’m not sure if their system is typical? Was hoping to get the full amount at signing and expecting to have to pay back a prorated amount if I left within 3 years or so, 5 seems like a lot. The oncology team was super nice when I visited and seemed like a good work environment, but the admin representative seemed pretty… negative when I even asked some clarification questions about the sign on. The admin person almost was treating me like a child and insinuating any questions or attempts at negotiation were not allowed. Left a bad taste in my mouth since I barely asked anything, but the rest of the visit was great. I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions for improvements I could make.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t take anything an HR rep says either 1) seriously or 2) as a representation of the group. If you’re concerned about pressing for negotiation may blow things sometimes this is money well spent for a lawyer focused on physician contracts to negotiate on your behalf.

As for hour commute… that’s a lot. (Correction : I see your note about not being a desirable place to live). Calculate the time value of money in addition to gas and miles each year. Assuming the fmv of oncology these days it may surprise you how much that knocks off the contract. Unless you were already commuting 45 min where you are currently but it’s hard to sustain an hour commute for 5 years.

5 years is also way long to prorate a bonus - I’d try to negotiate or have the lawyer negotiate for 3 years. I also find the compensation plan change a little suspect and not clear how comp will hold without you increasing productivity 15-20% over previous plan.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t take anything an HR rep says either 1) seriously or 2) as a representation of the group. If you’re concerned about pressing for negotiation may blow things sometimes this is money well spent for a lawyer focused on physician contracts to negotiate on your behalf.

As for hour commute… that’s a lot. (Correction : I see your note about not being a desirable place to live). Calculate the time value of money in addition to gas and miles each year. Assuming the fmv of oncology these days it may surprise you how much that knocks off the contract. Unless you were already commuting 45 min where you are currently but it’s hard to sustain an hour commute for 5 years.

5 years is also way long to prorate a bonus - I’d try to negotiate or have the lawyer negotiate for 3 years. I also find the compensation plan change a little suspect and not clear how comp will hold without you increasing productivity 15-20% over previous plan.
Thank you! I edited my above post, for some reason I thought the person was HR but they seem to be a “director of talent acquisition”. She was asking pointed questions about how the offer compare to other hospitals in that part of the state, and asking for names. Seemed strange and I kept answers vague. I appreciate the advice, will definitely get a lawyer and try to prorate over 3 years instead of 5 if possible.

The change in compensation is strange… I was caught off guard when they brought up the change, they insisted this is a “new way RVUs will be measured” and they expect compensation to stay within 25k for the physicians, and for a couple of years will use either the “new method” or the old 105/wRVU method for payment, whichever is higher. I know one of the physicians and they are happy, which is making me highly consider the position.

Last edited:
Lots of thoughts here, let's go through them one by one.
I am a second year fellow interviewing for 2025 jobs in Indiana/Illinois. Got an offer I would appreciate some feedback on. Rural hospital system about an hour from a metro area. Would be fifth oncologist there. Would plan to commute an hour as most of the physicians do.
I commute an hour twice a week. I'm only doing this until my daughter graduates high school and then I'm moving close. There is no way I would have taken this job if I never intended to move to the area. I am fortunate that it is a highly desirable place to live and where I had already intended my "pre-tirement" job to be in 5-10 years. The idea of 10h of commuting a week hurts my soul. Also, do the math on what that will cost you. Even if you value your commuting time at half of what you get paid for time spent working, that's still $1000-2000 a week you "lose" on time alone, let alone other expenses. So, whatever they're telling you the comp will be, lop ~$50-100K off the top to adjust for that part of it (or not...but at least be conscious of the cost).
Base 600k x2 years, then move to productivity 105/wRVU (though they say they are changing systems soon, something about number of wRVU going up and dollar per wRVU dropping to 85 in two years, but they aren’t projecting any big change in actual compensation? Anyone hear of anything like this regarding a big upcoming change in outpatient RVU calculation?) 4 days of clinic with 1 admin day, though they did seem to insinuate that some pick up an extra half day after the initial two years to maintain or increase their compensation. 1:5 call including hospital consults anywhere from 2-12 on the list daily including follow ups, some NP support inpatient during the week.
Your base (at the $105/wRVU rate) works out to ~16 patients a day, which isn't too bad. The shift to 85 in 2y is likely related to shifting from 2020/2021 CMS #s to 2023/2024. The question you need to ask is which system they're using now and which they're planning to use then. The delta on the $/wRVU pretty closely matches the delta in wRVU/encounter in that period. In other words, they're going to pay you ~20% less/wRVU, but you're going to get ~20% more wRVUs for the same amount of work you're doing now, so the overall pay structure will be flat. This isn't as sketchy as everyone's making it out to be, and I guarantee that everyone is doing similar stuff. There isn't anything nefarious going on, there's just a change in the way the same sized pie is being sliced. The pie didn't magically get bigger when CMS changed the RVU #s.
They have sign on bonus of 100k but it’s paid out 20k on start, then 20k annually for 5 years total. If you leave at some point within 5 years, you pay back a prorated portion of that year’s 20k. 3k CME a year. 30 days vacation a year which includes CME.
The bonus over 5y is BS. 1-2 years is reasonable.
The base salary seems good, but the commute (the immediate area is quite isolated and not a good place to raise a family, thus everyone commutes) could get tiring. The sign on bonus does not seem like a real sign on bonus and I’m not sure if their system is typical? Was hoping to get the full amount at signing and expecting to have to pay back a prorated amount if I left within 3 years or so, 5 seems like a lot. The oncology team was super nice when I visited and seemed like a good work environment, but the admin representative seemed pretty… negative when I even asked some clarification questions about the sign on. The admin person almost was treating me like a child and insinuating any questions or attempts at negotiation were not allowed. Left a bad taste in my mouth since I barely asked anything, but the rest of the visit was great. I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions for improvements I could make.
As you pointed out later, the person you talked with is a recruiter. They are typically the least knowledgeable people in the entire enterprise, so I wouldn't get too worked up about this.

I commute an hour twice a week. I'm only doing this until my daughter graduates high school and then I'm moving close. There is no way I would have taken this job if I never intended to move to the area. I am fortunate that it is a highly desirable place to live and where I had already intended my "pre-tirement" job to be in 5-10 years. The idea of 10h of commuting a week hurts my soul. Also, do the math on what that will cost you. Even if you value your commuting time at half of what you get paid for time spent working, that's still $1000-2000 a week you "lose" on time alone, let alone other expenses. So, whatever they're telling you the comp will be, lop ~$50-100K off the top to adjust for that part of it (or not...but at least be conscious of the cost).

Your base (at the $105/wRVU rate) works out to ~16 patients a day, which isn't too bad. The shift to 85 in 2y is likely related to shifting from 2020/2021 CMS #s to 2023/2024. The question you need to ask is which system they're using now and which they're planning to use then. The delta on the $/wRVU pretty closely matches the delta in wRVU/encounter in that period. In other words, they're going to pay you ~20% less/wRVU, but you're going to get ~20% more wRVUs for the same amount of work you're doing now, so the overall pay structure will be flat. This isn't as sketchy as everyone's making it out to be, and I guarantee that everyone is doing similar stuff. There isn't anything nefarious going on, there's just a change in the way the same sized pie is being sliced. The pie didn't magically get bigger when CMS changed the RVU #s.

As you pointed out later, the person you talked with is a recruiter. They are typically the least knowledgeable people in the entire enterprise, so I wouldn't get too worked up about this.
Thank you for your insight! I’ve appreciated all of your input as I’ve read the posts on here. The commute isn’t ideal, but the base salary is higher than one’s closer to the metro area and call wise is one of the lighter options. The shortest commute I would have is 30 minutes. I mostly like the group, they seem like a good group to work with for a first attending job, and I like that the non compete doesn’t overlap with the metro which could give flexibility down the line if certain positions within the metro open up.

I will definitely try to get the sign on prorated over a shorter amount of time. That will be my main goal during negotiation, and it seems reasonable based off the feed back here. And thanks for commenting on the CMS changes, the physician who mentioned that seemed like a reasonable guy and it’s good to hear the changes have a basis.

Just as a curiosity, you typically quote around 2 RVU/encounter in Oncology but is that with the old CMS RVU #s taken into account or the new ones? If the offer is on the old model does his/her base actually still reflect 16pt/day?

Also I do disagree a bit with your pie analogy. The entire POINT of the RVU update was to reward office visits more and procedures less, so cancelling that all out by adjusting RVU compensation isn’t necessarily clearly justified IMO and no office based doc should just accept it at face value. Just because the hospital doesn’t wanna piss off their facility fee generators (errr.. I mean their surgeons) doesn’t mean CMS didn’t actually intend for their reimbursement to go down a bit and office based docs to go up a bit with the changes.

Also I do disagree a bit with your pie analogy. The entire POINT of the RVU update was to reward office visits more and procedures less, so cancelling that all out by adjusting RVU compensation isn’t necessarily clearly justified IMO and no office based doc should just accept it at face value. Just because the hospital doesn’t wanna piss off their facility fee generators (errr.. I mean their surgeons) doesn’t mean CMS didn’t actually intend for their reimbursement to go down a bit and office based docs to go up a bit with the changes.
While I agree generally with your second point, onc is unique in that so much of the income comes from drug margins. When CMS increases RVUs for clinic visits, the amount the practice/hospital/university gets from the drug margin doesn't change. So while you are correct that an increase in RVUs per visit will increase compensation for most clinic based specialties, most of onc salary is not coming from RVUs (based on my limited understanding).

Remember an RVU is only worth like $30. Anything above that is due to downstream benefits you provide (facility fees for the surgeons, call coverage, drug margins, ability to be a trauma center, STEMI coverage, etc)

Last edited:
Just as a curiosity, you typically quote around 2 RVU/encounter in Oncology but is that with the old CMS RVU #s taken into account or the new ones? If the offer is on the old model does his/her base actually still reflect 16pt/day?
That's using 2021 numbers. And I don't use it as an absolute value. I use it because it's close enough and it makes the math easy.

Base 600k x2 years, then move to productivity 105/wRVU (though they say they are changing systems soon, something about number of wRVU going up and dollar per wRVU dropping to 85 in two years, but they aren’t projecting any big change in actual compensation?

You would need to know what is the expected total RVUs per year you will likely generate in Year3 onwards. Is it 5000, 8000, 12000 etc.

5 year vesting is unheard of. And in any case, 100k over projected 5 year income of $3M is just 3% or so. So not a big deal

but the admin representative seemed pretty… negative when I even asked some clarification questions about the sign on. The admin person almost was treating me like a child and insinuating any questions or attempts at negotiation were not allowed. Left a bad taste in my mouth since I barely asked anything, but the rest of the visit was great. I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions for improvements I could make.

Most hospital admins suck. The recruiters were probably sourcing candidates for McDonalds in their previous gig; and they are carrying over that same attitude when hiring $600k physicians. But as others have pointed out; this is just a fact of life you would need to suffer through. Even after you join a practice, these kind of incompetent people will be watching over your metrics and making inane observations and you would need to explain stuff to them.

Just ignore the bad professionalism from them and just focus your mind on what the actual physicians say. But don't irritate them either. These are like the DMV clerks. They have way too much power for silly stuff.

After a lifetime in academia trying to publish the highest impact factor and get the perfect IHC picture of a mouse tumor stained for E-cadherin, I just spoke to a recruiter for a real job that isn’t lab-based indentured servitude for the first time in my life, and it feels … surreal.

Hospital employed - 450 beds.
Hospitalists admit.
1-2 inpatients usually.
3 other med oncs with RT, surgery, etc all there.

Complex heme, head and neck, gyn sent elsewhere

4 day work week.
15 patients a day.
Take call two days in a row in rotation.

$535K base for 6500 RVU with each additional RVU worth $92

$25K sign on bonus with an additional relocation bonus (can’t remember how much - maybe $10K I think)

Retirement match

This is my first ever time evaluating a job - how does this seem? It seems good to my naive eyes. Not sure about the call schedule.

Few things -
1. The hospital system is still on old CMS guidelines for wRVU calculation. Most of the health systems have changed to the new wRVU. Per new CMS coding guidelines, the median wRVU for midwest area is about $97-101 based on many different surveys out there. The median nationally is around $97 i think (based on new) - so if they are trying to adjust metrics to keep compensation within 25K of the prior one --> screw them. In midwest, high 90s or bust. And that too with commuting for 1 hr? in an undesirable area? There are plenty of other better jobs out there. Also to note - nationwide, medical oncology compensation has increased about 22% over past 2-3 years due to new CMS guidelines and a move towards more compensation for more "cerebral" specialties. So that is the compensation part. Based on old methodology the median was around $121. If you get anything lower than that, it is not ideal for an undesirable area of the country.
2. Be polite but very direct with admin. The bonus has to be over 1 year. not 5 years. They NEED you !!!
3. DIRECTOR of TALENT ACQUISITION = glorified in house recruiter. Don't fall prey to corporate bias terms. They are just "recruiters" at the end of the day.
4. If old partners are happy = look in to the details where the devil is. "did they have a practice that was acquired by that health system?" then they got a lump sum of money when that happened and now they are FatFIRE and just working out of joy. There are many places in the midwest (Chicagoland and south of there) where old partners were bought by the Hospital systems and happy to work on low $/wRVU comp but newer grades come, churn and burn and gtfo and find a more palatable place which pays better.

While I agree generally with your second point, onc is unique in that so much of the income comes from drug margins. When CMS increases RVUs for clinic visits, the amount the practice/hospital/university gets from the drug margin doesn't change. So while you are correct that an increase in RVUs per visit will increase compensation for most clinic based specialties, most of onc salary is not coming from RVUs (based on my limited understanding).

Remember an RVU is only worth like $30. Anything above that is due to downstream benefits you provide (facility fees for the surgeons, call coverage, drug margins, ability to be a trauma center, STEMI coverage, etc)

You need to remember, admin makes a lot more money from oncologists than you can think of.
Every chemotherapy visit has facility fee attached to it.
so every time you sign a chemo order = procedure is done. Just that this procedure is chemotherapy, you don't get paid for the procedure but get higher $/wRVU in return.
Hospital systems have an average margin of about 40% per drug administered in the infusion center (ref: N Engl J Med 2024; 390:338-345) which means that they make a lot more money then you'd imagine.
So yes - hospital systems are now compensating oncologists more over past 3 years (by about 20-22% per medscape survey) and that is the norm. Be direct with regards to compensation and do not be shy talking numbers.

After a lifetime in academia trying to publish the highest impact factor and get the perfect IHC picture of a mouse tumor stained for E-cadherin, I just spoke to a recruiter for a real job that isn’t lab-based indentured servitude for the first time in my life, and it feels … surreal.

Hospitalists admit.
1-2 inpatients usually.

4 day work week.
15 patients a day.

$25K sign on bonus with an additional relocation bonus (can’t remember how much - maybe $10K I think)

Retirement match

This is my first ever time evaluating a job - how does this seem? It seems good to my naive eyes. Not sure about the call schedule.
Seems pretty good, not too far off from the job I signed. My equivalent stats:

Hospital employed, 200-300 ish beds.
No primary inpatient team, consults only.
~14 med oncs, community affiliate of a large academic institution in a medium sized city

I will have a subspecialty focus.

4 day work week
14-16 patients/day
Inpatient/overnight/weekend call 4 weeks/year

$575K base for 5700 RVU with ~105/RVU bonus
Negotiated a similar bonus

Biggest downside for you relative to my position is the call and generalist position, although I think I found a pretty sweat deal.

~14 med oncs, community affiliate of a large academic institution in a medium sized city

4 day work week
14-16 patients/day

Biggest downside for you relative to my position is the call and generalist position, although I think I found a pretty sweat deal.
This does sound like the sweet spot - the resources/trials of academics, the pay of private practice, and the volume to permit specialization.

This does sound like the sweet spot - the resources/trials of academics, the pay of private practice, and the volume to permit specialization.
Only other downside I didn't mention is they wouldn't budge on a pretty restrictive non-compete, but I don't think I'd find anything else this good in the area anyway.

4 day work week
14-16 patients/day

$105 per new CMS guidelines or old one ?

Hospitalists admit.
1-2 inpatients usually.

4 day work week.
15 patients a day.

Retirement match

Doesn't seem too shabby. Depends on location obviously but the base and workload is good. RVU target a tad high, depending on what year's CMS numbers they're using. Sign-on and relo are low. Retirement match is good. How good/bad the call schedule is depends on how busy the calls are.

I'll counter with my offer:
25 bed rural CAH in a vacation/recreation mecca. ~1 inpatient every 6-8 weeks (on hospitalist service). No call. $500K base, $85/wRVU over 5600. Sign-on 30K, Relo 20K, 25 retention bonuses at the end of years 3, 4 and 5 for those who stay. 4 days of clinic a week, ~15 patients a day.

Last edited:
Help me understand the changes here because I'm not sure. I signed the contract a couple of months ago - when did the new guidelines take effect and how have they changed?
The guidelines are updated every year or so by CMS. The question isn't what CMS is doing, the question is what your boss is doing. You need to ask them. Some places are still stuck with 2019 #s, others update every year with CMS (although it's usually 6-12 mos behind just because things take time).

Can I ask how many RVUs you actually do annually (or are likely to do in case you haven't yet completed a full year) ? thanks
Haven't started yet, but I hope to get somewhere close to that target in my first year and surpass in the 2nd year.

Hello folks. I get this offer and I need help interpreting the RVU calculation. This is private practice in NJ, busy 1:5 call, 20+/d, 4d/wk, a lot of benign heme initially, they told me 400k base, which I haven’t start negotiate. But the RVU compensation model sounds like pure RVU based, because instead of RVU threshold, they use total RVU income desucting my base then give me the rest. What should be my negotiation strategy? should I negotiate up the per wRVU ( higher base, means less bonus in this model? ) Thank you!!!!!!
See below terms “For example: Employee Guaranteed Payments for a given quarter is $100,000 (i.e., 6 semimonthly payments of $16,666each). During that quarter the Employee generates 2,000 wRVUs. Total Quarter Compensation would be $145,500.00 [2000 wRVUs x $72.75 per wRVU = $145,500.00]. Assuming the Employee satisfies the metrics for the Conditional Amount, as set forth above, the Quarter Bonus would be $45,000.00 [$145,500.00 - $100,000.00 = $45,500.00]. If the Employee does not satisfy the metrics for the Conditional Amount, the Quarter Bonus would be $38,675.00 [$45,500.00 x 85%]. If the Total Quarter Compensation is less than the Quarter Guaranteed Payment for any quarter the Quarter Bonus will be zero.”

Hello folks. I get this offer and I need help interpreting the RVU calculation. This is private practice in NJ, busy 1:5 call, 20+/d, 4d/wk, a lot of benign heme initially, they told me 400k base, which I haven’t start negotiate. But the RVU compensation model sounds like pure RVU based, because instead of RVU threshold, they use total RVU income desucting my base then give me the rest. What should be my negotiation strategy? should I negotiate up the per wRVU ( higher base, means less bonus in this model? ) Thank you!!!!!!
See below terms “For example: Employee Guaranteed Payments for a given quarter is $100,000 (i.e., 6 semimonthly payments of $16,666each). During that quarter the Employee generates 2,000 wRVUs. Total Quarter Compensation would be $145,500.00 [2000 wRVUs x $72.75 per wRVU = $145,500.00]. Assuming the Employee satisfies the metrics for the Conditional Amount, as set forth above, the Quarter Bonus would be $45,000.00 [$145,500.00 - $100,000.00 = $45,500.00]. If the Employee does not satisfy the metrics for the Conditional Amount, the Quarter Bonus would be $38,675.00 [$45,500.00 x 85%]. If the Total Quarter Compensation is less than the Quarter Guaranteed Payment for any quarter the Quarter Bonus will be zero.”
Zach Galifianakis Algorithm GIF by Product Hunt

• Love

I think I know exactly which practice this is. IIRC, they are a large multispecialty group and "joined" OneOncology in 2021. Anyone paying that abysmal RVU rate and owned by private equity is a no no.

Very bad (terrible actually) RVU conversion rate. They are likely hoping to snare someone with inferior math skills.

Essentially, you have a $400k floor because I think they know everyone earns above that (and so they have nothing to lose in making 400 as a floor). And anything above that is $72 per RVU . Now 72 is a terrible conversion rate; ideally it should be at least 90 or so; and perhaps 105 or 110. And in addition, you may not even get that $72 depending on what the "Conditional Amount Metrics" is.

Reg negotiation strategy, I would ask for a vastly higher RVU conversion rate. Don't worry about base - everyone makes above base anyway.

They know that someone desperate to be in NJ will bite.

Reactions: 2 users
I interpret this to mean, 8000 wrvus in a year, you get $590k which is a horrible deal. If you have loans etc, it would probably be better to cross the Delaware, keep going for 60 mins or so and see if you can get a salaried job for similar (or even better #s). Even if you don't have loans - this deal is really, really bad. You're going to get very frustrated when you read the messages from your co fellows on your group chat.