Hemoglobin as a buffer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akam ahz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across this passage in my text book, it says:

"Hemoglobin is an important buffer. It has 6 times more buffering power than plasma proteins. Therefore, it can buffer H+ inside RBCs (They are formed during CO2 Transport) and can carry CO2 with minimal change in pH. Hemoglobin carrying CO2 (deoxyHb) is a stronger buffer than hemoglobin carrying O2, since deoxyHb dissociates less (i.e. it forms a weaker acid = a stronger buffer)."

I can't say that I got the above passage. I asked myself these questions:

1. How does deoxyHb dissociate? And why it dissociates less than oxyHb?

2. How does deoxyHb forms a weak acid and hence oxyHb forms a stronger acid?

3. What is the relation between the strength of acid and the acid formed and the buffering power?

I tried googling to find answers to these question, but I didn't find simple answers. So please help me!

Members don't see this ad.

I came across this passage in my text book, it says:

"Hemoglobin is an important buffer. It has 6 times more buffering power than plasma proteins. Therefore, it can buffer H+ inside RBCs (They are formed during CO2 Transport) and can carry CO2 with minimal change in pH. Hemoglobin carrying CO2 (deoxyHb) is a stronger buffer than hemoglobin carrying O2, since deoxyHb dissociates less (i.e. it forms a weaker acid = a stronger buffer)."

I can't say that I got the above passage. I asked myself these questions:

1. How does deoxyHb dissociate? And why it dissociates less than oxyHb?

2. How does deoxyHb forms a weak acid and hence oxyHb forms a stronger acid?

3. What is the relation between the strength of acid and the acid formed and the buffering power?

I tried googling to find answers to these question, but I didn't find simple answers. So please help me!
SDN is not for homework help. Please ask your professor if you are confused by your text.

@Catalystik
I have no professor, I'm self-studying. I was seeking you will help me understand.
The questions I mentioned are not my homework neither stated in the textbook itself. They are question came to my mind while I was trying to understand the passage.