HemOnc versus GI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pili

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the job market and compensation going to be for these fields in about 6 years? Anybody knows starting salaries and job opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

Pili said:
How is the job market and compensation going to be for these fields in about 6 years? Anybody knows starting salaries and job opportunities?
I think both will probably be in demand from a demographic standpoint. But, from a financial viewpoint, it's anybodies guess.

For Hem-onc: There is a new payment system for chemo drugs, which seems to have reduced payments, but I don't know if it will last because it may reduce access to services.
For GI: I personally think virtual colonoscopy (if it comes to fruition) will be even more of a boon to the field for several reasons. First, currently only a small proportion of the population that needs colonoscopic screening actually gets it, and the GI people are still busy. Second, with virtual colonoscopy more people will have the diagnostic colonoscopy so GI people will have less screening colonoscopies to do, which is fine because with more people doing screening using CT, more polyps will be found, and thus MORE polypectomies will need to be done. In GI, the diagnostic colonoscopies don't pay well, but doing a polypectomy does...with more polypectomies to do, GI should be making more money!

And Pili, you still haven't told anyone where you're going? Let me guess: either Baylor, Yale, Mayo, or BID? Just PM me if you're too ashamed to tell anyone else where you are going. :laugh:
-CC

CCMD2005 said:
I think both will probably be in demand from a demographic standpoint. But, from a financial viewpoint, it's anybodies guess.

For Hem-onc: There is a new payment system for chemo drugs, which seems to have reduced payments, but I don't know if it will last because it may reduce access to services.
For GI: I personally think virtual colonoscopy (if it comes to fruition) will be even more of a boon to the field for several reasons. First, currently only a small proportion of the population that needs colonoscopic screening actually gets it, and the GI people are still busy. Second, with virtual colonoscopy more people will have the diagnostic colonoscopy so GI people will have less screening colonoscopies to do, which is fine because with more people doing screening using CT, more polyps will be found, and thus MORE polypectomies will need to be done. In GI, the diagnostic colonoscopies don't pay well, but doing a polypectomy does...with more polypectomies to do, GI should be making more money!

And Pili, you still haven't told anyone where you're going? Let me guess: either Baylor, Yale, Mayo, or BID? Just PM me if you're too ashamed to tell anyone else where you are going. :laugh:
-CC
Ashamed? me??? ;) Pardon me if I want to keep my match clse to my vest.