Switching from GI to endocrinology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GitoEndo

Endoguy
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I started my GI fellowship and completed 8 months of first year now. My interest for the field is lost (Quit GI) and would like to switch to a specialty with (in no specific order)
  1. Good lifestyle
  2. Interest for specialty
  3. Decent money
  4. Less liability
I'm considering endocrinology and would like to apply in upcoming match. Is it difficult to obtain endo fellowship considering all my 40 plus research papers are in GI not related to endo?!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I started my GI fellowship and completed 8 months of first year now. My interest for the field is lost (Quit GI) and would like to switch to a specialty with (in no specific order)
  1. Good lifestyle
  3. Decent money
  4. Less liability
I'm considering endocrinology and would like to apply in upcoming match. Is it difficult to obtain endo fellowship considering all my 40 plus research papers are in GI not related to endo?!

Why not Rheumatology?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree, it has good lifestyle, money however most of the patients fall in one umbrella "Pain".
Welcome!

You can’t go wrong with endo or rheum. If you’re really just about lifestyle, consider AI as well. Or maybe just go all in and try and do derm.

Treating pain is actually rather enjoyable. In most of our diseases (RA, gout, PsA) we’re generally successful both short and long term. Can’t really fix the fatigue of SLE but you can generally fix the pains. Patients absolutely love you for it and it’s very satisfying. If you reference other threads here, lots of rheumatologists don’t see OA or fibro in follow up, so if you don’t like those diseases you won’t have to spend much time with them (esp with the workforce shortage that came out last year).

Sorry about the career switch. Sounds rough. You should try to get some experience in the fields before you dive right in. If you don’t love diabetes or hypothyroid, you may find you hate endo too and be back here again in two years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Welcome!

You can’t go wrong with endo or rheum. If you’re really just about lifestyle, consider AI as well. Or maybe just go all in and try and do derm.

Treating pain is actually really enjoyable. In most of our diseases (RA, gout, PsA) we’re really successful both short and long term. Can’t really fix the fatigue of SLE but you can generally fix the pains. Patients absolutely love you for it and it’s really satisfying. If you reference other threads here, lots of rheumatologists don’t see OA or fibro in follow up, so if you don’t like those diseases you won’t have to spend much time with them (esp with the workforce shortage that came out last year).

Sorry about the career switch. Sounds rough. You should try to get some experience in the fields before you dive right in. If you don’t love diabetes or hypothyroid, you may find you hate endo too and be back here again in two years.

Not an easy decision! Took so much of introspection. However, when I think how much control I have over the time in a day for an endo or rheum practice, it brings peace with the specialty. GI, and Cardiology (for discussion purpose) is always surprise and get called in anytime during day or night..While you can limit the activity to have decent lifestyle in these specialty, then what's the point of undergoing a busy fellowship, learning and developing so much procedure skills and not utilizing it.. So, Why not go with endo or rheum..I liked both my endo and rheum rotation during my residency and both those practitioners were very relaxed and happy with atleast 3-6 months wait time if I remember correctly!

Reactions: 1 users
  1. Good lifestyle
  3. Decent money
  4. Less liability
I don’t know any single person who would be capable of doing this!!

In GI you make much much more money and is more fun , more interactive/dynamic, clinic , procedures, hospital consults . Also as an attending you can always work in a less “intense” work environment all depends on
hospital/ group you work for , full versus part time etc

I don’t know any single person who would be capable of doing this!!

In GI you make much much more money and is more fun , more interactive/dynamic, clinic , procedures, hospital consults . Also as an attending you can always work in a less “intense” work environment all depends on
hospital/ group you work for , full versus part time etc
Really? Necrobump a 4 yo post?
OP matched endocrine in 2018… so at least one person did it.

GI is not a lifestyle specialty? It might be rough in fellowship, but the GI docs in private practice have great lifestyle and make a lot of money. Midlevels take all the night consults and even do many of the day consults. GI docs are just scoping with essentially 5 day work week. Just stick it out until the end.

Reactions: 2 users
GI is not a lifestyle specialty? It might be rough in fellowship, but the GI docs in private practice have great lifestyle and make a lot of money. Midlevels take all the night consults and even do many of the day consults. GI docs are just scoping with essentially 5 day work week. Just stick it out until the end.
Did you not notice my earlier post? OP matched endocrine in 2018…prolly a practicing endo now for the last 2 years

agree!