HENNA...this is for you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laser

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Henna,

Since most of us are going through interview processes and receiving our outcomes (mostly rejections so far)....could you please share with us what you went through during this very stressful times.

I am sorry if you have talked about this before on some other thread...I don't remember reading about it.

I am sure that alot of people would really really really really appreciate your input.

Bye for now.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Laser
......Since most of us are going through interview processes and receiving our outcomes (mostly rejections so far)....could you please share with us what you went through during this very stressful times.....

Yes, please. And any other forum member who's already on Dental school, thanks. dr hannibal already talked about his experience. What about you KPAT?
+pity+

I just posted a long reply and this computer ate it up. :mad:
:mad: :mad:

( I'll get back to it again later )

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok ! Its saturday and Iam well rested now. :)

My experience was similar to what most of you are going through right now.
Waiting for the results to arrive was very exhausting for me. By the time I was done with it I knew exactly when the mailman came to deliver the mail, when he picked up the mail, How long it took for him to park the van and get to the 6th floor. I could even recognize the sound of the van without looking.

Rejection is not an easy thing to accept. Its a big blow to your selfesteem. I think we take this rejection pretty hard and we are more senstive to it as we are dentists already and have a license to practice elsewhere.

From my experience I would suggest that you :-

- Apply to all the schools and if you want to cut costs do it with space based programs.

-Please attend all the interviews, atleast till you hear of your acceptance from atleast one school. Dont take any chances here.
The costs are exorbitant ( I had to invest on international flight for my interviews which are never cheap, the stay, food and misc expenses are way too much ). But dont let that deter you cause that's the only way you'll know. Please dont miss any of your interviews. Its imperative that you atttend it for any hope of acceptance.
Another advantage of attending interviews ( even when you think you dont stand a chance ) is that if you dont get accepted this year they will keep you on their file and most school will consider you for the next . You will have an edge over the others when you apply the next year ( not a well know fact but it exists). You on your part can improve your CV by either improving on your NDB/ or TOEFL or by getting some hands on work experience.

-Dont hesitate to re-take part 1, if you think your scores are not competitive. . Please take part 1 again and NOT part 2 (I cant stress enough on this ). The only time you'd want to take part 2 is if you plan to apply only to those schools which has part 2 as one of their requisites.
You will do better the 2nd time, why wouldn't you ?? You've done it once so this time you'll get a better sense of what you need to stress on and how to time it. If you need help join a Kaplan program use decks, asda re-prints. Others have done it so can you. This exam is not an IQ test, if you prepare well for it you can ace it.

- Dont let rejection, let you down.

yeah. ......just ask me how I felt last year when I applied to 6 six Canadian dental schooles and got rejected by all of them......without even any single interview.

As an expert in this rejection matter let me tell you guys how it feels:as a matter of fact the 1st rejection letter was as a huge slap on my face....the 2ed one was a littlebit easier.....and so on.....till the the last letter arrived in mail,I new it was gonna be a rejection letter befor even oppining the envelop....I GOT USED TO IT.[this is how you define addaptation].

Guess what...the ironic thing is that 2 of those universities boosted my spirit and encoraged me to apply to any undergraduate program to obtain any bachular degree and told me KINDLY (thanks God)that I would be welcomed to reapply after that.WAO ..............I am 30 years now +3 or 4 years for this under graduate thing +1 year for the process of applying+4 years for their DDS progra[this is IF....IF..... they accepted me] so the total result = I will graduate when I am 39.After I finish this DDS I need at least let us say 5 more years to repay my loans and stand up on my feet the total will be 44yers old.

supposing that after that I will marry the first lady I am gonna meet in the street,and she will become pregnant from our first night together.....(this is if we assume that by that AGE I am still functioning and my battery is still working)+ + 2 more years till this chiled pronounces his first word..by that time I will be 47years old......

Guess what guys.............what do you think my baby's first word will be.............??????????????? GRANDPA???:eek: :eek: :eek: :clap: :eek: :clap: :eek:

Attention please.........: I tried to squeez my calculations to the maximum;)

sam3,
Have you taken part 1? Have you applied to schools? Where do you stand with regards to your application process ( in the US )?

Hi guys,
I do not know what to write here.......All I can say is I planned for all this the best I could and luck was on my side big time, and everyone around me supported me every step of the way. I had no information, did not know one person who had been through this process or certainly there was no website that I was aware of to get all the info. like sdn has..........I was by myself and called schools and collected info a year ahead of giving the exams. Lot of this process is planning.......... And ALL OF YOU WILL GET AN ACCEPTANCE LETTER! I can tell you how I felt during my application process to MS program........I did not receive a call until Jan and all the other schools usually accept students by December.....I had done the stupidest thing of applying to ONE school! Do not ask me why......I just wanted to go to this program and no where else....and when I did not hear from them for a looooooong time, every day was frustrating and I cursed myself everyday about a 1000 times, BUT I never accepted that I was not getting in....There is this stubborn side to me that just refused to beleive that and ........ then I heard from them......so you see, everyone WILL get thier turn, as long as you will not let rejection letters take over you.....you need to take control of the situation. If you have to apply again, it's okay, plan again, better next time and see what else can you do, that you missed the last time. You all can do it. And you have so many people supporting you here.....
I will also like to repeat what Henna said - to apply to all the schools and appear to all the interviews, I have the first hand experince of how stupid and frustrated you will feel later.......and we do not get lucky everytime.........
I look forward to reading some dentists writing about their acceptance latters soon........
Good Luck,
kpat

Originally posted by Henna
sam3,
Have you taken part 1? Have you applied to schools? Where do you stand with regards to your application process ( in the US )?

Hi Henna :
It looks like you forgot me.You allready answered some of my questions on SDN,it is nice talking to you again.I took my part-1 this last july and got 85%:( .I applied to BU,Penn,NYU and I will apply to Nova.

Iam sorry ( I really do have a bad memory).
I take it that you haven't interviewed with any school yet , right ?
( nice to talk to you too :) )

I do not know,nothing is in the horrizon yet.No one sent me anything yet.I will call them on monday to figure out watz up.

Keep your hopes up , Iam sure you'll get a call for an interview.
Do you plan to apply to USC or UOP ? I think it'll be a good idea to apply, if its not too late that is.

No I will not apply to them for so many resons:

1-I am not ready to move to Californa at all.
2-Some of the west coast universities are very expensive.
3-Any interview in the west coast will cost me at least 800-1000$
4-Some of them ask for a practical+bench exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Henna:
I really wonder how do you have time to answer our questions on this forum and you are in an AS program?????.How can you find time????
I had so many friends(I mean those whome I spent 5 years with in dental schoole,and they could hardly answer my e-mails).They were allways complaining about how hard+time consuming their AS programs in US were.

I really think you are very generous,kind,helpful and nice person.

I was totally lost when I had started my application process, I was then in Canada, in a place with no dental school or anyone who could guide me through the whole process, even my friends had kinda washed their hands off ( busy with dental school) so I had no one to clarify my doubts with, in a way I think that traumatized me to such an extent that I feel I shouldn't let anyone else go through that ( if I can help it ), so I make time when I can.
( Thanks for the compliments, I survive on it ).
:)

Originally posted by Henna
I was totally lost when I had started my application process, I was then in Canada, in a place with no dental school or anyone who could guide me through the whole process, even my friends had kinda washed their hands off ( busy with dental school) so I had no one to clarify my doubts with, in a way I think that traumatized me to such an extent that I feel I shouldn't let anyone else go through that ( if I can help it ), so I make time when I can.
( Thanks for the compliments, I survive on it ).
:)

Thank you. Now it was you who almost made me cry. *sob, sob*

Henna and Kpat

To which or how many schools did you apply for Advanced Standing? How many interviews, acceptances or rejections?

Thanks.

meggs,
I assume you are asking for the DMD / DDS.....

I applied to 6 schools:
LomaLinda
UPenn
U of Pittsburgh
Columbia University
Boston university
Tufts

Interviewed at:
Tufts
LomaLinda
UPenn

Declined interview at Pittsburgh as I was going to be in Germany....

Accepted by:
Tufts
LomaLinda
UPenn

Kpat:
Oh my God,I do not understand a point here.How come U were accepted at Tuffts+Penn and not at Boston????.I thought Boston is easier than them to get in????

Hi sam3,
from what I understand from her posts, kpat didn't attend the interview at Boston as she was already accepted at U Penn and Tufts.It is not that she didn't make it at Boston,she never went there:)[EDITED]

Originally posted by dentek2
Hi sam3,
from what I understand from his posts, kpat didn't attend the interview at Boston as he was already accepted at U Penn and Tufts.It is not that he didn't make it at Boston,he never went there:)

HER posts. And the only interview declined she posted was Pitt, so she probably didn't get an interview at BU. At least this is what I understood from her post.

BTW, kpat you sure had great stats or a very charming personality and aced those interviews. :D

dentek2,
kpat has this way of misleading ppl into thinking she's a male, but in reality she's a female head to toe.
No point in denying it anymore, kpat. :D :D

Hi,
I don't know how I got the notion that kpat is a "he".I just read the correction in another post ,and was starting to edit my post,but henna and meggs beat me to it.thanks:D
It seems from what meggs wrote, I misunderstood kpats posts too,can't imagine why she didn't get an interview from Boston!

Applied to almost all schools that even mentioned IDP somewhere in their web page .:D

Interviewed at
NYU,UPENN,PENN,UOP, USC,USCF
( in that order)
Accepted in
NYU,BU,UOP,USC & UCSF.

Paid deposit in NYU, USC
:mad: (pls dont ask me why, it still hurts).

Oh my god!!!!!!!

What a commotion!
Look at you all...........
Yes, Henna people better beleive I am female........ ;-))) Did I mislead you guys, btw?

Well, I called the rest of the schools and told them I will not be conimg for the interviews.........does this put rest to all of your questions.......?????????? I was also late for columbia as the classes start in Jan......well, atleast back then it did........So, I ended up taking a vacation for 3 weeks before starting school.......

Well, Meggs, i wanted to know how does this info help you at all????? I wanted to ask that in my previous post, but I was in hurry...........

Good luck to y'll.

PS: Ouch!!! Sorry about that deposit henna........Anything for education.....right?

Originally posted by kpat

Well, Meggs, i wanted to know how does this info help you at all????? I wanted to ask that in my previous post, but I was in hurry...........

My thoughts exactly !
For a long time I didnt want to give it away, as I thought it would only dishearten those who didnt get accepted yet but .... ggrr meggs...

btw...the misleading part was just a joke..actually a bait for you to bite, kpat .....:D

Originally posted by kpat
....Well, Meggs, i wanted to know how does this info help you at all????? I wanted to ask that in my previous post, but I was in hurry...........

I guess it just gives me an idea of what do it takes to ACTUALLY get an interview/acceptance. And now that I think about it, since you and Henna are Indians, it also helps to prove that Indians shouldn't be in fear 'cause of ethnic reasons, and that the minorities have a hard time just like anyone else. I don't think that even a person who's 5 minorities rolled into one will have an easy pass in this ordeal.

For a long time I didnt want to give it away, as I thought it would only dishearten those who didnt get accepted yet but .... ggrr meggs...
:confused:

Thanks Kpat and Henna.