Here are the facts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldBat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are the facts
Nontraditional
2.27 Freshman GPA. Extenuating circunstances
Transfered to another school graduated with with 3.3 GPA in Psychology
Second BA in Philosophy with a 3.54.
48 hours of Postbac science classes with a 3.65 GPA. Classes were originally taken in 1997
Total Postbac GPA 3.60

unfortunately Freshman year was mostly BCPM courses. So even with retaking everything plus more the BCMP is 3.12. It is easy to lower your GPA but hard to raise it.

Volunteering over 1,200 hours hospital volunteer work No research you had to be a science major to do research at the school he went to,

MCAT 26N, 25P, 33P Finished the test in an hour the first two times Self studied.
Is there any chance he will get in so I can enjoy my retirement

Members don't see this ad.

Here are the facts
Nontraditional
2.27 Freshman GPA. Extenuating circunstances
Transfered to another school graduated with with 3.3 GPA in Psychology
Second BA in Philosophy with a 3.54.
48 hours of Postbac science classes with a 3.65 GPA. Classes were originally taken in 1997
Total Postbac GPA 3.60

unfortunately Freshman year was mostly BCPM courses. So even with retaking everything plus more the BCMP is 3.12. It is easy to lower your GPA but hard to raise it.

Volunteering over 1,200 hours hospital volunteer work No research you had to be a science major to do research at the school he went to,

MCAT 26N, 25P, 33P Finished the test in an hour the first two times Self studied.
Is there any chance he will get in so I can enjoy my retirement

Yes there is a good chance because from the experience of this unknown individual it shows commitment and most importantly academic competency through upward trend in grades. The 1200 hours of volunteering is wonderful, does this individual have shadowing and a LOR from a Physician? also try to entail leadership qualities and community service. Community service/volunteering is different from clinical volunteering. As long as the individual submits their application as early as possible they will get a chance at A medical school.

Assuming reasonable ECs, supportive LORs, and well-written Personal Statement and essays, due to the consistently good grades in the recent postbac and the solid MCAT score, this person could have a chance at any MD school that will evaluate the entire transcript and appreciate the upward trend and the reason for the low BCPM GPA. But there are schools with sharp cutoffs for BCPM where human eyes won't see the application if the computer throws it out.

The applicant should also consider applying to DO med schools where only the most recent grade is included in the calculations (if retake credits are the same or greater), as his application stats would be much higher for those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding
Flodhi 1 congrats on your acceptance. I ran across your story and it is encouraging.
You must have had one heck of a personal statement.

Assuming reasonable ECs, supportive LORs, and well-written Personal Statement and essays, due to the consistently good grades in the recent postbac and the solid MCAT score, this person could have a chance at any MD school that will evaluate the entire transcript and appreciate the upward trend and the reason for the low BCPM GPA. But there are schools with sharp cutoffs for BCPM where human eyes won't see the application if the computer throws it out.

The applicant should also consider applying to DO med schools where only the most recent grade is included in the calculations (if retake credits are the same or greater), as his application stats would be much higher for those schools.

Will not apply DO. He applied to all the Florida school. they all sent him a secondary.
I loved the Cat Herder video.