Here it is - my ROL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. UPenn
2. MGH
3. JHU
4. WashU
5. Duke
6. UNC
7. Dartmouth
8. Pennsylvania Hosp
9. UVA
10. Penn State

That's it - I certified and am not changing. I'm done.

Match Day - bring it.

Anyone else willing to share?

Members don't see this ad.

Bravo!
I'll post mine when I finally figure it out. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd love to post mine, but I'm couples matching with my girl and we have 181 possible combinations. And yes, we listed all of them. Figuring them out, well, that was the best day of my life. A close second was when we had to do massive editing of the whole list over the phone, as she is on an away rotation. Ah, the memories.

You have some cajones to post your ROL. I think I'll wait till this weekend maybe. Programs probably have already submitted their ROL.

I just know my top 3 and my bottom 4, the remaining middle 6 sort of is in flux.

Mrbojangles said:
You have some cajones to post your ROL. I think I'll wait till this weekend maybe. Programs probably have already submitted their ROL.

I just know my top 3 and my bottom 4, the remaining middle 6 sort of is in flux.

Why cajones? Placing my ROL on this site certainly doesn't change anything for me or any of the programs that I ranked (or didn't rank). Also, there is no shame in failing to match with #1.

Well just that this forum isn't exactly anonymous. I doubt PDs are looking at this site (though I think I piqued the interest of an attending when I said there were positive comments about their program on scutwork.com., prolly not a bright idea), but still if you leak out any identifying features things aren't anonymous.

It dont take no cojones for someone with the name of RNA with exactly 10 posts to sketch out his ROL here. There are quite a few putty cats in these parts, although I do agree that some posters here may be less anonymous. ;)

I was born without cojones, but here it goes:

Iowa
Wash U
UNC
Alabama
Utah
Jefferson
Yale

Mrbojangles said:
Well just that this forum isn't exactly anonymous. I doubt PDs are looking at this site (though I think I piqued the interest of an attending when I said there were positive comments about their program on scutwork.com., prolly not a bright idea), but still if you leak out any identifying features things aren't anonymous.

Yeah, I guess this is a reasonable point. I guess i just assume that the PDs are busy enough that they don't have time to pour over these threads and try to figure out "who is who." Either way, I am happy that my ROL is done and I can stop worrying about it for awhile. I was hoping others might post their ROLs just to get an idea of what others are thinking. Although Path is popular on this forum, most med schools have somewhere between 0 and 8 people entering this residency and therefore it is hard find others at my medschool to chat with about this stuff. Cheers!

RNA said:
Yeah, I guess this is a reasonable point. I guess i just assume that the PDs are busy enough that they don't have time to pour over these threads and try to figure out "who is who." Either way, I am happy that my ROL is done and I can stop worrying about it for awhile. I was hoping others might post their ROLs just to get an idea of what others are thinking. Although Path is popular on this forum, most med schools have somewhere between 0 and 8 people entering this residency and therefore it is hard find others at my medschool to chat with about this stuff. Cheers!
Two things:

1. RNA I don't think you have ANYTHING to worry about. You have not said anything that would compromise your anonymity. Post away! :D

2. PD's and attendings could probably care less about this site. The only issue that could come up is regarding the population of residents who lurk on this site. And of these folks, probably the chief residents would most likely have any say in this process. But c'mon, even if anonymity was compromised, to have something said here (with no absolute proof of identity provided to begin with) potentially affect your position on a ROL would be silly!

Enough with the games. Here is my list

1. Wash U
2. Arizona
3. SLU
4. New Mexico
5. UT San Antonio
6. Missouri
7. Colorado
8. Phoenix
9. UT Knoxville

Pookies said:

Nice! I assume that's Missouri-Columbia? Really, you're ranking Knoxville? I just can't bring myself to rank them, as I can't see myself there at all. Not to badmouth them, because some folks would like it, but it's not a good fit for me, personally.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pookies said:

1. Wash U
2. Arizona
3. SLU
4. New Mexico
5. UT San Antonio
6. Missouri
7. Colorado
8. Phoenix
9. UT Knoxville

Congrats, Pookies. Best of luck in the Match!

I'm in for posting my list - as soon as I figure it out!

:oops:

:scared: In a panic, still don't have my list!!!

AndyMilonakis said:
just think. what would brian boitano do?
Thank you Andy for that tremendously helpful advice. ;)

RNA said:
1. UPenn
2. MGH
3. JHU
4. WashU
5. Duke
6. UNC
7. Dartmouth
8. Pennsylvania Hosp
9. UVA
10. Penn State

That's it - I certified and am not changing. I'm done.

Match Day - bring it.

Anyone else willing to share?

I wouldnt do anything like that. UVA should be far higher on the list and Hopkins should be 1. To each his own.

AndyMilonakis said:
good stuff darth.
Awww...you called me by my pet name. I feel so loved... :love:
Andy you must have special powers as well. Your posts appear at lightspeed.

cytoborg said:
Awww...you called me by my pet name. I feel so loved... :love:
Andy you must have special powers as well. Your posts appear at lightspeed.
i also have a flying car....and high speed internet.

Notice how Andy snapped up that opportunity to brag about his lighting quick fingers! He fell so easily into my trap! Wahahaha :smuggrin:

deschutes said:
I don't get upset easily.
I do however reserve the right to torment you.
oh kay. you're pretty evil with that ewok stick.

cytoborg said:
Notice how Andy snapped up that opportunity to brag about his lighting quick fingers! He fell so easily into my trap! Wahahaha :smuggrin:
I believe that I made no claim to having these so-called "lighting (sic) quick fingers"

deschutes said:
I thought it was a stick too. It turned out to be a cattleprod. What gives??
the cattleprod is the adaptor that attaches to the end of your ewok stick. if you look closely at the graphic of the Adventures of Harbster Part 4, you should notice this.

Pookies said:

1. Wash U
2. Arizona
3. SLU
4. New Mexico
5. UT San Antonio
6. Missouri
7. Colorado
8. Phoenix
9. UT Knoxville

Interesting that you ranked Arizona so highly. It seemed pretty middle-of-the-road to me, though the telepathology stuff is cool and I liked Tucson. What appealed about it to you?

:laugh:
Thrombus said:
you are also the guy who said MD Anderson wont get you anywhere outside of Texas and have similarly made way too many disparaging, ridiculous remarks about Path as a career

nothing like a california elitist to give out his opinion and then look right down his nose in unshameful condescention at anyone who would live/think differently

you and your kind are the reason that i am not going anywhere near California so i can get away from the narcissism that radiates from your being

thank you very much have a good day

Ahhh this is why I love posting here, the bountiful harvest of thin skinned young pathologists:) Yes, little thrombus stay away from California, we are far too crowded with whiny pathologists as it is. My ultimate goal is to have to the whole state to myself, so far its working.

Muhahahahaaha

Little Thrombus says to his advisor "Some mean guy on the internet said MD Anderson isnt the greatest place on Earth" sob sob "Can you believe that??"
The advisor pats the little thrombus on the head "Dont worry lad, we know the truth, the surg path fellowship at MD Anderson is happiest place on Earth!" The little thrombus wipes the tears away, comforted.
The End. :laugh:

LADoc00 said:
My ultimate goal is to have to the whole state to myself, so far its working.

Then we'd have to draw straws to see who gets to fly in and perform your eventual autopsy.

QuietSylph said:
Interesting that you ranked Arizona so highly. It seemed pretty middle-of-the-road to me, though the telepathology stuff is cool and I liked Tucson. What appealed about it to you?

Gut feeling. I just had a good feeling after I interviewed. The staff and residents were very nice.

and

Good program
Interesting research projects
Tucson is a nice place to live. Not too big, Not too small.
Family gets discounted tuition at the University
4 weeks of vacation

What is your list?

Pookies said:
Gut feeling. I just had a good feeling after I interviewed. The staff and residents were very nice.

and

Good program
Interesting research projects
Tucson is a nice place to live. Not too big, Not too small.
Family gets discounted tuition at the University
4 weeks of vacation

What is your list?

I agree, the Arizona residents were really nice and laid back, and the faculty seemed friendly and approachable -- the chairman had me very interested in telepathology.

My list... ugh. I interviewed at UC Davis, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, UTSW, and MUSC. I am struggling between UNM and MUSC for #1. I really liked the workings of the MUSC program - it seemed perfectly suited to my style - but I don't really want to live in Charleston and the health insurance there for our family is a minimum of $300/month (we're relying on my income only, so that's tough). My husband loved Albuquerque and we could afford a good house there; overall, I liked New Mexico's program well but didn't fall in love. Then there's my parents, who are really hoping I will rank UC Davis #1 because it's close to where they live (and we want to end up in northern California eventually). We have two kids and have lived 2000 miles away from extended family for the last six years, so there's a lot of pressure to "come home" and we could REALLY use the help. But Davis seems something of a wild card in terms of program quality and the area is pricey, so I hesitate to rank them first.

:confused: Opinions, anyone?

QuietSylph said:
Opinions, anyone?

I agree that Davis seemed like a wild card. My impression was that the place could somehow run without any residents at all, so your education would be entirely dependent on your level of ambition. The chief resident told me flat-out that it was a place best suited for "self-starters." Kinda freaked me out, actually, as I work best with some gentle whipping. Everybody there was supercool, though, and the environment was wonderful.

UNM has ridden a recent wave of good feelings between me and my girlfriend (a.k.a. "the coupler"). Cost of living is nil, the training appeared extremely solid, and the fellowship track record was, I thought, outstanding for a program of its size. My family has vacationed in Taos for many years, so New Mexico itself also has a strange appeal to me.

I really liked UNM.

Maybe I will end up there for a Heme fellowship.

QuietSylph said:
Then there's my parents, who are really hoping I will rank UC Davis #1 because it's close to where they live (and we want to end up in northern California eventually). We have two kids and have lived 2000 miles away from extended family for the last six years, so there's a lot of pressure to "come home" and we could REALLY use the help. But Davis seems something of a wild card in terms of program quality and the area is pricey, so I hesitate to rank them first.
Pricey area? Hmmmmm...I wouldn't say that...maybe more so than some places....but there are 50 three-bedroom homes listed for sale on www.realtor.com in the range of $150,000 and $250,000! That seems pretty good to me! Seems you can't buy a $300,000 toolshed in other parts of the state.

cytoborg said:
Pricey area? Hmmmmm...I wouldn't say that...maybe more so than some places....but there are 50 three-bedroom homes listed for sale on www.realtor.com in the range of $150,000 and $250,000! That seems pretty good to me! Seems you can't buy a $300,000 toolshed in other parts of the state.

Yeah, Sacramento is definitely the most affordable "urban" area in California, which I am thankful for. But the places that are available for $150,000-250,000 (and I have a family of four living on just my income) are usually very small, old/rundown, or in a crime-ridden area.... I've looked. I also have to take into account where the good school districts are, because Sacramento public schools aren't great. We could buy a condo, but those often don't have enough space for us to survive with our sanity intact.

I'm glad in a number of ways that we had kids when we did, but having to take into account the needs/wants of so many people really makes this complicated. :eek:

QuietSylph said:
Yeah, Sacramento is definitely the most affordable "urban" area in California, which I am thankful for. But the places that are available for $150,000-250,000 (and I have a family of four living on just my income) are usually very small, old/rundown, or in a crime-ridden area.... I've looked. I also have to take into account where the good school districts are, because Sacramento public schools aren't great. We could buy a condo, but those often don't have enough space for us to survive with our sanity intact.
True, true.
I guess I've given up the dream of the house. I searched the same parameters in other parts of the state...the results came back with price tags that were actually monthly rents! :(

WOw how things have changed, in "my day" we posted our ROLs!

Mindy

Mindy said:

Mindy
well i think more people will hesitate less to post ROL's after Feb 23rd. i'm pondering whether i should do this myself as by that point, posting ROLs have absolutely zero chance of affecting us in any way.

Here goes...

1. Colorado
2. Pennsylvania Hospital
3. George Washington
4. Louisiana State- Shreveport
5. Penrose
6. Drexel/ Hahnneman Hospital
7. Minnesota

My list is heavily based on job possibilities for husband and where family is located. There's not one of these program that I would dislike, I think. I feel like if I don't get #1, I will get #2 and that's ok with me. I will just have to mop up husband's tears for a little while. (I am married to such a drama king!) Here's hoping everyone gets their first choice!

Mindy said:

Mindy

It would be really helpful to applicants if people could talk more openly about programs in general, I think. But it can be tricky...for instance early on I gave a fairly candid review of a program...lo and behold a resident came out of the woodwork (actually I had forgotten that said resident frequents this forum) and commented on my comments. Many of us realize that we've probably made comments here and there that give away our identities, so it's pretty easy for someone in a particular program to know who you are as an applicant. I sure as hell don't want any of my programs thinking I am not interested or knowing they are #4 or #10 or whatever and altering their ranklists because of it. Hence the hesitation to post the ROL prior to Feb. 23.

cytoborg said:
It would be really helpful to applicants if people could talk more openly about programs in general, I think. But it can be tricky...for instance early on I gave a fairly candid review of a program...lo and behold a resident came out of the woodwork (actually I had forgotten that said resident frequents this forum) and commented on my comments. Many of us realize that we've probably made comments here and there that give away our identities, so it's pretty easy for someone in a particular program to know who you are as an applicant. I sure as hell don't want any of my programs thinking I am not interested or knowing they are #4 or #10 or whatever and altering their ranklists because of it. Hence the hesitation to post the ROL prior to Feb. 23.

Yeah, I will most likely post mine after the 23rd...