Hey Bruin post-mcaters...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nomemory

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here taken the mcat before taking (or while taking) the 3rd quarter of o-chem and if so how'd it go? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i took the mcat w/o the 3rd quarter of o-chem and the bio section still went pretty well. i think 2 quarters is enough. and honestly, you need to know about 1/100 of what you learn in the first 2 quarters. you just need to understand the basic concept(i.e. general reactions that aldehydes/ketones undergo) but no crazy mechanisms! good luck.

I took the MCAT right after 3 quarter of o-chem and scored double digits on bio....but to be honest with you I didn't think that quarter of o-chem really helped...just focus on your sN1/2 E1/2 reactions that spectroscopy sh-t and you'll be fine....I guess it kind of helped that I tutored o-chem too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the Berkeley Review O-Chem books are fine for OChem studying. I hadnt taken O-chem in 2 years before the MCAT and those books did fine for me.

I took the MCAT after 130a and 130AL. I scored double digits on the bio (and I was slacking off in that section because I was terrified of the physics....)

Just to reiterate what ucla2001 said, I used the Berkeley Review and I took O Chem in 1994(!). I did fine, but I did have to study alot to feel "comfortable" before the MCAT.