"Hey Does Anyone Know Which Schools..." - A List of Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildZoo

Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing questions about which schools highly consider last 45 GPA, allow in-state residency after one year, do grade replacement etc...and I thought it might be useful to compile those things in one place. If you think of more lists that might be useful to add to this list, comment below! Also if you have any additions or corrections in general. Note I only looked at US schools because I may be bored but I'm not that bored.

Disclaimer: These lists are intended as a starting point. Please do your own research for confirmation and remember that information may not be up to date.

In-State Residency/Tuition After First Year (This does not necessarily mean lowest COA!)

UC Davis
Missouri
North Carolina State
Ohio State
Washington State

Last 45 GPA Weighted More Than Cumulative
UC Davis
Iowa State**
Kansas State**
Louisiana State**
Minnesota**
Michigan State (last 36)
**These schools do not consider cumulative GPA at all

Grade Replacement
Michigan State: GR for science prereqs ("We use the most recent grade if you have repeated a science pre-requisite.") Source: DVM Program
Iowa State: full GR ("If a course is repeated, the most recent grade received will be used in the GPA calculation and replaces any previous grades.") Source: Course Requirements | Iowa State University
Minnesota: if 3+ years old ("Repeated courses are both considered if retaken within three years; only the new grade is used if it has been three or more years since the course was first taken.") Source: How Applicants are Evaluated and for prereqs ("The highest grade received will be used in the prerequisite course GPA calculation.") Source: their brochure
Wisconsin-Madison: GR for prereqs only ("For the purpose of required coursework GPA calculation, the highest grade earned should be the only course grade used in the required coursework GPA calculation.”) Source: previous applicant email

Lowest OOS Acceptance Rates (#seats/#applicants)
Washington State - 1.5% (2.7% with non-sponsored WICHE seats included)
Colorado State - 1.9-2.4%
NC State - 2.3%
Michigan State - 2.4%
Wisconsin - 2.7%
Tennessee - 2.7%
Georgia - 2.8%
Virginia-Maryland - 2.9%
**Note: some schools move through their waitlists more than others. The best ratio to look at would actually be #applicants offered admission/total#applicants, but that data is harder to find.**

Highest OOS Acceptance Rate
Texas A&M - 11.5% (average OOS GPA 3.8)
Western - 9.7%
Midwestern - 9.6%
Tufts - 8.6%
Illinois - 7.3%
Penn - 7.3%

No OOS Interviews
Oregon State
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Wisconsin
Cornell
Georgia
Iowa State

Give Points in Admissions Based on Credit Hours/Degree
UC Davis - bachelor's degree required
University of Tennessee - Phase One points given for # of credit hours

Schools which no longer require the GRE
Arizona
Bristol
Calgary
Cornell
Colorado State
UC Davis
UF
Glasgow
Guelph
KSU
ISU
LIU
Melbourne
Michigan State
Midwestern
Mississippi State
Mizzou
Murdoch
Ohio State
Purdue
RVC
Sydney
Tufts
WCVM/Saskatchewan
VMCVM

Resources for more information:
AAVMC General Info Chart
Pre-Req Chart

I am obviously very, very bored and probably avoiding unpacking or the list of other tedious things I should be working on

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users
Iowa state also has no OOS interviews!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
I believe Minnesota now does grade replacement for the most recent retake- I've attached a copy of an email from last cycle.
Edit: Ps. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to make this list!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 8.30.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 8.30.51 PM.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good idea! Definitely see these questions a lotttt

Reactions: 1 user
Kansas is not doing grade replacement anymore, because they dropped the GRE requirement they are spreading the points out more by averaging retakes instead

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's also important to note how many seats there are for out of state and in-state students. Like for example, Texas is on the list for highest OOS acceptance rate but that may be because not a lot of OOS students apply since they heavily prefer in-state students and only reserve like ~10 seats for OOS

Reactions: 4 users
This needs to be stickied!

I could be wrong, but I think at Texas you can also apply for IS tuition after the first year. I’ll confirm real fast

I think it's also important to note how many seats there are for out of state and in-state students. Like for example, Texas is on the list for highest OOS acceptance rate but that may be because not a lot of OOS students apply since they heavily prefer in-state students and only reserve like ~10 seats for OOS
So, I didn't include things like # of seats because they are very easy to look up and are not really something we get questions about very often. I did include the average OOS GPA for TAMU to give the idea that just because the rate is higher doesn't mean it is easier. However, I did just update the first post to include some links that are helpful for that easier to find info. Things like # of OOS seats are in the AAVMC general info chart.

So, I didn't include things like # of seats because they are very easy to look up and are not really something we get questions about very often. I did include the average OOS GPA for TAMU to give the idea that just because the rate is higher doesn't mean it is easier. However, I did just update the first post to include some links that are helpful for that easier to find info. Things like # of OOS seats are in the AAVMC general info chart.
Good point! :)
And sorry! I didn't mean it like you had to add it to the list. I think your list is great and would have helped me so much when I was picking schools. I just said it as a general for anyone who is thinking of applying there to also look at all the other numbers too.

I could be wrong, but I think at Texas you can also apply for IS tuition after the first year. I’ll confirm real fast

Got sidetracked, still couldn’t confirm. Dang you interesting search results! Disregard.

• Haha
Good point! :)
And sorry! I didn't mean it like you had to add it to the list. I think your list is great and would have helped me so much when I was picking schools. I just said it as a general for anyone who is thinking of applying there to also look at all the other numbers too.
No need for apologies! It reminded me that I meant to include those links :)

I love you.

• Love
When did Iowa stop doing OOS interviews? Not saying it is wrong, I really don't know, just curious about when they discontinued that since I am old fogie who definitely interviewed there as an OOS candidate. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
When did Iowa stop doing OOS interviews? Not saying it is wrong, I really don't know, just curious about when they discontinued that since I am old fogie who definitely interviewed there as an OOS candidate. :laugh:
The class of 2022 was the first to not have interviews

Zoo! Can you finally make my ranked list of schools by closest Cracker Barrel? :hilarious:

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

Can confirm. Several OOS upperclassmen have said on the cvm facebook group that they’ve gotten IS tuition at the beginning of first year. :oops:

Zoo! Can you finally make my ranked list of schools by closest Cracker Barrel? :hilarious:

mine would be at the bottom, but still before the international schools haha!

I'm pretty sure my school might win this one actually :thinking:
mine would be at the bottom, but still before the international schools haha!

Because I'm intrigued, on vacation, and bored, I present...
In order of closest to farthest. I could only do US schools. And this may be wrong...I just went with the first result Google Maps gave me when I searched [school name] vet med and cracker barrel.

UF - 3.0 miles
Mizzou - 3.2 miles
Illinois - 3.9 miles
Texas A&M - 5.3 miles
Midwestern - 5.3 miles
Purdue - 5.6 miles
Georgia - 6.8 miles
UTK - 6.9 miles
Wisconsin - 8.5 miles
NCSU - 8.5 miles
Ohio State - 10.0 miles
LSU - 10.1 miles
Virginia Tech - 10.4 miles
Arizona - 11.6 miles
Michigan State - 12.7 miles
Auburn - 14.2 miles
LMU - 14.4 miles
CSU - 16.0 miles
Penn - 18.1 miles
Kansas State - 19.4 miles
UC Davis - 23.7 miles
Tufts - 25.3 miles
Western - 25.4 miles
Minnesota - 26.4 miles
Mississippi State - 26.4 miles
Tuskegee - 27.9 miles
Cornell - 32.6 miles
Iowa State - 42.2 miles
Oklahoma State - 53.8 miles
LIU - 66.8 miles
Oregon State - 74.1 miles
Washington State - 88.9 miles

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 28 users
In order of closest to farthest. I could only do US schools. And this may be wrong...I just went with the first result Google Maps gave me when I searched [school name] vet med and cracker barrel.

UF - 3.0 miles
Mizzou - 3.2 miles
Illinois - 3.9 miles
Texas A&M - 5.3 miles
Midwestern - 5.3 miles
Purdue - 5.6 miles
Georgia - 6.8 miles
UTK - 6.9 miles
Wisconsin - 8.5 miles
NCSU - 8.5 miles
Ohio State - 10.0 miles
LSU - 10.1 miles
Arizona - 11.6 miles
Auburn - 14.2 miles
LMU - 14.4 miles
CSU - 16.0 miles
Penn - 18.1 miles
UC Davis - 23.7 miles
Tufts - 25.3 miles
Western - 25.4 miles
Minnesota - 26.4 miles
Tuskegee - 27.9 miles
Cornell - 32.6 miles
Iowa State - 42.2 miles
LIU - 66.8 miles
This ought to be a deciding factor ^^^^

UF - 3.0 miles
Mizzou - 3.2 miles
Illinois - 3.9 miles
Texas A&M - 5.3 miles
Midwestern - 5.3 miles
Purdue - 5.6 miles
Georgia - 6.8 miles
UTK - 6.9 miles
Wisconsin - 8.5 miles
NCSU - 8.5 miles
Ohio State - 10.0 miles
LSU - 10.1 miles
Arizona - 11.6 miles
Auburn - 14.2 miles
LMU - 14.4 miles
CSU - 16.0 miles
Penn - 18.1 miles
UC Davis - 23.7 miles
Tufts - 25.3 miles
Western - 25.4 miles
Minnesota - 26.4 miles
Tuskegee - 27.9 miles
Cornell - 32.6 miles
Iowa State - 42.2 miles
LIU - 66.8 miles

My fiance was impressed by your dedication. I am proud to be in the top three!

UF - 3.0 miles
Mizzou - 3.2 miles
Illinois - 3.9 miles
Texas A&M - 5.3 miles
Midwestern - 5.3 miles
Purdue - 5.6 miles
Georgia - 6.8 miles
UTK - 6.9 miles
Wisconsin - 8.5 miles
NCSU - 8.5 miles
Ohio State - 10.0 miles
LSU - 10.1 miles
Arizona - 11.6 miles
Auburn - 14.2 miles
LMU - 14.4 miles
CSU - 16.0 miles
Penn - 18.1 miles
UC Davis - 23.7 miles
Tufts - 25.3 miles
Western - 25.4 miles
Minnesota - 26.4 miles
Tuskegee - 27.9 miles
Cornell - 32.6 miles
Iowa State - 42.2 miles
LIU - 66.8 miles

I didn’t realize one was so close to WSU. I’ve never seen a Cracker Barrel before :laugh:

Presenting the order of vet schools by proximity to a Cheesecake Factory.

Methodology: I tried doing what @JaynaAli described, but I ran into an error when it said that Tuskegee and Auburn had radically different distances for their closest one, so I ended up taking the city for each school, putting that in on Cheesecake Factory's website to find the closest one, and then searching that on Google Maps to get the distance to the vet school. I make no guarantee that these results are accurate, but they should be repeatable.

UF - 1.9 miles
Penn - 2.6 miles
NCSU - 3.8 miles
Midwestern - 5.1 miles
Wisconsin - 5.5 miles
LIU - 6.6 miles
Tennessee - 7.3 miles
Arizona - 9.3 miles
Ohio State - 9.6 miles
Minnesota - 14.4 miles
Tufts - 17.1 miles
Western - 17.5 miles
Davis - 22.5 miles
Iowa State - 44 miles
Georgia - 46.7 miles
Cornell - 55.6 miles
Michigan State - 58.7 miles
Oklahoma State - 60 miles
Purdue & CSU - 60.8 miles (not the same one obviously)
LMU - 75.4 miles
Texas A&M - 75.7 miles
LSU - 76.9 miles
Oregon State - 80 miles
Mizzou & Auburn - 105 miles
Tuskegee - 111 miles
KSU - 123 miles
Illinois & VMCVM - 124 miles
Mississippi State - 144 miles
Washington State - 295 miles

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 16 users
Might I humbly request Texas Roadhouse?

• Haha
From the top three to the bottom three. Cracker Barrel is better anyways. My guess for Texas Roadhouse and UIUC is 5.7 miles.

What I’m seeing here is Gainesville loves it’s chain restaurants. The Texas Roadhouse is closer to the school than Cheesecake Factory and Cracker Barrel.

• Haha
Proximity to a Target would also be interesting. I know someone who ranked internships they applied for and wanted equally by proximity to a Trader Joes.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
What I’m seeing here is Gainesville loves it’s chain restaurants. The Texas Roadhouse is closer to the school than Cheesecake Factory and Cracker Barrel.

I was personally surprised that Gainesville had a closer cracker barrel than any of the midwest or "more southern" states.

• Haha
UMN will crush the Target one, those started here and the closest one to the vet school is the first Target store. Fun fact.

Using the JaynaAli method, here is the order of proximity to Texas Roadhouse. I don't even know what a Texas Roadhouse is, perhaps because Minnesota is nowhere near the top 10.

Iowa State - 2.1 miles
Florida - 3 miles
KSU - 3.1 miles
Oklahoma State - 3.2 miles
Texas A&M - 3.3 miles
Cornell - 3.5 miles
Mizzou - 4.1 miles
CSU - 4.4 miles
Purdue - 4.5 miles
Illinois - 5.2 miles
VMCVM - 5.3 miles
Ohio State - 5.4 miles
Tennessee - 6.2 miles
Georgia - 6.7 miles
Wisconsin - 8.2 miles
Michigan State - 8.4 miles
Tufts - 8.5 miles
LIU - 9.8 miles
LSU - 10.5 miles
Arizona - 11.6 miles
NCSU - 15.2 miles
Minnesota - 19 miles
Penn - 21.1 miles
Midwestern - 23 miles
Davis - 24.4 miles
Western - 24.9 miles
Tuskegee - 29.9 miles
Oregon State - 41.3 miles
Auburn - 44.6 miles
LMU - 68.1 miles
Mississippi State - 69.6 miles
WSU - 81.1 miles

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Guys I love spreadsheets so much, it's stupid how much fun I'm having doing this.

I have a meeting with my PI in a few minutes otherwise I'd have the Target one going already. MN's closest is 2.7 miles.

• Haha
UMN will crush the Target one, those started here and the closest one to the vet school is the first Target store. Fun fact.

Using the JaynaAli method, here is the order of proximity to Texas Roadhouse. I don't even know what a Texas Roadhouse is, perhaps because Minnesota is nowhere near the top 10.

Iowa State - 2.1 miles
Florida - 3 miles
KSU - 3.1 miles
Texas A&M - 3.3 miles
Cornell - 3.5 miles
Mizzou - 4.1 miles
CSU - 4.4 miles
Purdue - 4.5 miles
Illinois - 5.2 miles
VMCVM - 5.3 miles
Ohio State - 5.4 miles
Tennessee - 6.2 miles
Georgia - 6.7 miles
Wisconsin - 8.2 miles
Tufts - 8.5 miles
LIU - 9.8 miles
LSU - 10.5 miles
Arizona - 11.6 miles
NCSU - 15.2 miles
Minnesota - 19 miles
Penn - 21.1 miles
Midwestern - 23 miles
Davis - 24.4 miles
Western - 24.9 miles
Tuskegee - 29.9 miles
Auburn - 44.6 miles
LMU - 68.1 miles
WSU - 81.1 miles
15.2 miles noooooo... not that I'll be able to frequent in on a vet school budget. But a 30-mile round trip is still worth it for those rolls....

I think this just proves WSU really is in the middle of no where and I wasn’t exaggerating :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Illinois - 5.2 miles

Only half a mile off my guess. lol. That's literally the difference of being across the highway. The Target is a smidge closer, so my target guess is 4.9 miles.

15.2 miles noooooo... not that I'll be able to frequent in on a vet school budget. But a 30-mile round trip is still worth it for those rolls....

Not going to lie to you, I have been to the Champaign Texas Roadhouse exactly once because 5 miles is way too far of a drive. lol.

I think this just proves WSU really is in the middle of no where and I wasn’t exaggerating :laugh:

For serious! I want to visit Pullman just for the experience of a vet school being in the literal middle of nowhere.

Iowa State - 2.1 miles
Florida - 3 miles
KSU - 3.1 miles
Texas A&M - 3.3 miles
Cornell - 3.5 miles
Mizzou - 4.1 miles
CSU - 4.4 miles
Purdue - 4.5 miles
Illinois - 5.2 miles
VMCVM - 5.3 miles
Ohio State - 5.4 miles
Tennessee - 6.2 miles
Georgia - 6.7 miles
Wisconsin - 8.2 miles
Tufts - 8.5 miles
LIU - 9.8 miles
LSU - 10.5 miles
Arizona - 11.6 miles
NCSU - 15.2 miles
Minnesota - 19 miles
Penn - 21.1 miles
Midwestern - 23 miles
Davis - 24.4 miles
Western - 24.9 miles
Tuskegee - 29.9 miles
Auburn - 44.6 miles
LMU - 68.1 miles
WSU - 81.1 miles
Yesss finally #1!! :laugh:

Ohio State has a Target 0.6 miles away hahaha

• Haha
You took the words right out of my mouth! I've whined many a time about how the quality of life in Pullman would be greatly increased by a closer proximity to a Target.

• Love
You took the words right out of my mouth! I've whined many a time about how the quality of life in Pullman would be greatly increased by a closer proximity to a Target.
Not gonna lie, while looking for my new apartment on the west side I definitely was checking where the nearest target, chipolte, and trader joes were :laugh:

Not going to lie to you, I have been to the Champaign Texas Roadhouse exactly once because 5 miles is way too far of a drive. lol.

I drive farther than that between my house and the vet school every day for class. :laugh:

Iowa State - 2.1 miles
Florida - 3 miles
KSU - 3.1 miles
Texas A&M - 3.3 miles
Cornell - 3.5 miles
Mizzou - 4.1 miles
CSU - 4.4 miles
Purdue - 4.5 miles
Illinois - 5.2 miles
VMCVM - 5.3 miles
Ohio State - 5.4 miles
Tennessee - 6.2 miles
Georgia - 6.7 miles
Wisconsin - 8.2 miles
Tufts - 8.5 miles
LIU - 9.8 miles
LSU - 10.5 miles
Arizona - 11.6 miles
NCSU - 15.2 miles
Minnesota - 19 miles
Penn - 21.1 miles
Midwestern - 23 miles
Davis - 24.4 miles
Western - 24.9 miles
Tuskegee - 29.9 miles
Auburn - 44.6 miles
LMU - 68.1 miles
WSU - 81.1 miles

Midwestern’s closest Texas Roadhouse is actually 5.3 miles, I’m a frequent flier :laugh:

I drive farther than that between my house and the vet school every day for class. :laugh:

I used to live 5 miles outside of town where they don't plow the snow and I was like, "We're done here," and now I live two miles away from the school. lol. The lazy got strong.