"Hey Does Anyone Know Which Schools..." - A List of Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Schools waiving their GRE requirement for the c/o 2025 cycle due to COVID-19 (as of 05/12, according to AAVMC)
Dublin
Illinois
NCSU
Texas A&M
Tuskegee
UTK
Wisconsin

Schools which no longer require the GRE, period
Arizona
Bristol
Calgary
Cornell
CSU
UF
Glasgow
Guelph
KSU
ISU
LIU
Melbourne
Michigan State
Midwestern
Mississippi State
Mizzou
Murdoch
Ohio State
Purdue
RVC
Sydney
Tufts
WCVM/Saskatchewan
VMCVM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Putting this here because I have conducted this kind of research for like a week. Some schools aren’t on here bc I’ve already eliminated them from the pool of schools to apply to and they’re organized by what my top choices are. Some of my notes only apply to me personally but the information can still be helpful nonetheless

Edit: looking back I kinda look psychotic? But that’s okay. Also ignore the 2nd and 3rd sheet

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Man I didn't realize this was so many of the schools now!
It’s like 2/3!!! But I think I’m still gonna take the GRE in like early August because a couple schools won’t take my AP credit and there are a few schools I want to apply to that require the GRE. I’d rather take the GRE than Bio 1 and English

Man I didn't realize this was so many of the schools now!
I know, right? I remember back when we were applying (I think we're officially old, haha), every school required the GRE; those that still require it have now become the minority. Crazy how much has changed in just a few years.

I say good riddance, though. I know back when ISU ditched the requirement (starting with the c/o 2022, I think), they'd explained to our class that there was research done showing very little correlation between performance on the GRE and level of academic success in vet school. Not to mention that the $200+ to take the test and distribute scores to schools is a really pretty steep asking price, especially when the vet school application process is already so stupidly expensive as it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Putting this here

Michigan State OOS tuition is 47somethingK now and will be going down again in the future, though I realize for your purposes it doesn't really matter since you're IS :)

CSU no longer requires the GRE, starting with the class of 2025. I’m afraid to mess your chart up or I’d try to add it lol.

Schools waiving their GRE requirement for the c/o 2025 cycle due to COVID-19 (as of 05/12, according to AAVMC)
Dublin
NCSU
Tuskegee
UTK
Wisconsin

Arizona
Bristol
Calgary
Cornell
UF
Glasgow
Guelph
KSU
ISU
LIU
Melbourne
Michigan State
Midwestern
Mississippi State
Mizzou
Murdoch
Ohio State
Purdue
RVC
Sydney
Tufts
WCVM/Saskatchewan
VMCVM

Reactions: 1 users
I know, right? I remember back when we were applying (I think we're officially old, haha), every school required the GRE; those that still require it have now become the minority. Crazy how much has changed in just a few years.

I say good riddance, though. I know back when ISU ditched the requirement (starting with the c/o 2022, I think), they'd explained to our class that there was research done showing very little correlation to performance on the GRE and level of academic success in vet school. Not to mention that the $200+ to take the test and distribute scores to schools is a really pretty steep asking price, especially when the vet school application process is already so stupidly expensive as it is.
We're ancient now :laugh:
But yeah I'm definitely in favor of this change. The GRE is super dumb lol

Could have sworn that I typed in and included CSU, but I guess not. I've fixed the original list, thanks! Super mentally exhausting day at work.

Happy to help! I only knew because they just added a COVID-19 FAQ page recently to their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahaha this is great. But omg 200+ miles to the nearest cheesecake!

That’s as sad as when I realized that there was no Panda Express within an hour of me.

Ahaha this is great. But omg 200+ miles to the nearest cheesecake!

That’s as sad as when I realized that there was no Panda Express within an hour of me.
Oh, Pullman has one of these! We finally have something :laugh:

• Haha
My mom wanted a limoncello cream torte from Cheesecake Factory for her birthday this weekend. When I tried to order one I found out they apparently took it off the menu. So I’m attempting to make my own version this weekend.

My mom wanted a limoncello cream torte from Cheesecake Factory for her birthday this weekend. When I tried to order one I found out they apparently took it off the menu. So I’m attempting to make my own version this weekend.
I kinda thought cheesecake factory was just a menu that things never got taken off of, only added to. It's like 70 pages already, what's a cream torte here and there?

• Haha
Yeah I was really surprised. I don’t know if it’s just a coronavirus menu reduction or forever, but I checked both in my current city and in a city on the way to my parents and neither had it available.

I kinda thought cheesecake factory was just a menu that things never got taken off of, only added to. It's like 70 pages already, what's a cream torte here and there?

No not true...

I adored their apple dumpling dessert. It was a whole poached apple that was baked in a bag made of pastry. It was so yummy. I tried to order it, and was told it was gone. When I said “oh, wow I’m so sad that was my favorite!” the waiter was super dismissive and was like, “yeah, every time we take something off the menu it’s someone’s favorite.” I was devastated.

• Sad
Putting this here because I have conducted this kind of research for like a week. Some schools aren’t on here bc I’ve already eliminated them from the pool of schools to apply to and they’re organized by what my top choices are. Some of my notes only apply to me personally but the information can still be helpful nonetheless

Edit: looking back I kinda look psychotic? But that’s okay. Also ignore the 3rd sheet

Thank you for this! I’m planning on applying next cycle and I have spent the past week working on a spreadsheet like your’s... there’s just so much info to sort through!

@alissa14 and @Elkhart I believe that the GRE isn't required for Illinois *only* this year due to COVID. It's on our website, but the AAVMC chart is incorrect apparently. I only know this cause I looked for someone else a few days ago.

Alissa, some of your Illinois stuff is kinda off (like details on number of didactic semesters). You're welcome to message me or start the Illinois 2025 thread and ask! I just don't want to derail this thread so itself useful for future applicants. :)

Just a heads up that at Purdue Resident Tuition is only available if you fulfill all the requirements before matriculation. When you enter first year, you sign a waiver saying you'll pay OOS tuition regardless of residency status (or at least, this was the status as of last year). :)

• Wow
Just a heads up that at Purdue Resident Tuition is only available if you fulfill all the requirements before matriculation. When you enter first year, you sign a waiver saying you'll pay OOS tuition regardless of residency status (or at least, this was the status as of last year). :)
good to know Ill double check thanks!!! :)

Edit: looking back I kinda look psychotic? But that’s okay. Also ignore the 3rd sheet
Just FYI: ISU is really difficult to switch to in-state tuition. If you've applied as OOS, you're basically going to stay OOS unless you marry an Iowan.

Reactions: 4 users
good to know Ill double check thanks!!! :)

No problem. I just know all my OOS friends have resigned themselves to the extra tuition ;)
1590024065466.png

see all of these residency laws are so darn confusing! I appreciate everybody's clarification. Overall tuition cost is a HUGE factor for me when determining which schools to apply to

see all of these residency laws are so darn confusing! I appreciate everybody's clarification. Overall tuition cost is a HUGE factor for me when determining which schools to apply to

Honestly, talking to financial aid is way better to get a direct answer (at least at Illinois) because they know what laws will be pertinent to professional students.

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly, talking to financial aid is way better to get a direct answer (at least at Illinois) because they know what laws will be pertinent to professional students.

This. 100%

Because I'm intrigued, on vacation, and bored, I present...
In order of closest to farthest. I could only do US schools. And this may be wrong...I just went with the first result Google Maps gave me when I searched [school name] vet med and cracker barrel.

UF - 3.0 miles
Mizzou - 3.2 miles
Illinois - 3.9 miles
Texas A&M - 5.3 miles
Midwestern - 5.3 miles
Purdue - 5.6 miles
Georgia - 6.8 miles
UTK - 6.9 miles
Wisconsin - 8.5 miles
NCSU - 8.5 miles
Ohio State - 10.0 miles
LSU - 10.1 miles
Virginia Tech - 10.4 miles
Arizona - 11.6 miles
Michigan State - 12.7 miles
Auburn - 14.2 miles
LMU - 14.4 miles
CSU - 16.0 miles
Penn - 18.1 miles
Kansas State - 19.4 miles
UC Davis - 23.7 miles
Tufts - 25.3 miles
Western - 25.4 miles
Minnesota - 26.4 miles
Mississippi State - 26.4 miles
Tuskegee - 27.9 miles
Cornell - 32.6 miles
Iowa State - 42.2 miles
Oklahoma State - 53.8 miles
LIU - 66.8 miles
Oregon State - 74.1 miles
Washington State - 88.9 miles
Whoa, Penn has a Cracker Barrel 11 miles from its campus. How dare. This puts us ahead of Arizona and just behind Virginia Tech. I say again, how dare!

Yeah to clarify, the ones I've listed for changing residency status have established routes for professional students to change status that are widely accessible and may require specific actions on the part of the student but should be doable for most if not all of them.

I could list my own school because it is possible, but I didn't because it requires specific circumstances that won't apply to all students.

Last edited:
We seem to have gotten serious again, but in case anyone wanted to know about proximity to Target, I retract any bragging I did upthread because I am disappointed in my state. Rankings determined with a combination of Target.com and Google Maps.

Ohio State - 0.6 miles
Arizona - 0.9 miles
Michigan State - 1.7 miles
Wisconsin - 2.1 miles
Iowa State & Florida - 2.2 miles
CSU - 2.3 miles
Penn - 2.4 miles
NCSU, Minnesota, and Western - 2.6
Texas A&M - 3.2
Cornell - 3.6
Kansas State - 3.7
Purdue - 4.1
Midwestern - 4.5
Davis - 4.8
Mizzou - 4.9
Georgia - 5.3
Illinois - 5.4
VMCVM - 5.6
LIU - 6.3
Tennessee - 8.5
Tufts - 8.6
Auburn - 9.3
LSU - 10.9
Oregon State - 14.5
Tuskegee - 24.6
Oklahoma State - 48.5
LMU - 65.2
Washington State - 72.5
Mississippi State - 87.6

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
We seem to have gotten serious again, but in case anyone wanted to know about proximity to Target, I retract any bragging I did upthread because I am disappointed in my state. Rankings determined with a combination of Target.com and Google Maps.

Ohio State - 0.6 miles
Arizona - 0.9 miles
Michigan State - 1.7 miles
Wisconsin - 2.1 miles
Iowa State & Florida - 2.2 miles
CSU - 2.3 miles
Penn - 2.4 miles
NCSU, Minnesota, and Western - 2.6
Texas A&M - 3.2
Cornell - 3.6
Kansas State - 3.7
Purdue - 4.1
Midwestern - 4.5
Davis - 4.8
Mizzou - 4.9
Georgia - 5.3
Illinois - 5.4
VMCVM - 5.6
LIU - 6.3
Tennessee - 8.5
Tufts - 8.6
Auburn - 9.3
LSU - 10.9
Oregon State - 14.5
Tuskegee - 24.6
Oklahoma State - 48.5
LMU - 65.2
Washington State - 72.5
Mississippi State - 87.6
OMG WSU is NOT last for a target:eek::eek::eek:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
OMG WSU is NOT last for a target:eek::eek::eek:

Not last for a Trader Joe's either. Not even that close to last.

In order of Trader Joe's proximity:

UC Davis - 1.2 miles
CSU - 1.4 miles
Wisconsin - 1.5 miles
Penn - 1.7 miles
Florida - 2.2 miles
Oregon State - 2.4 miles
LSU - 3.6 miles
Midwestern - 4.3 miles
Arizona - 4.4 miles
Western - 5.1 miles
Minnesota - 5.4 miles
Tufts - 5.8 miles
Georgia - 6.6 miles
Tennessee - 6.8 miles
LIU - 6.9 miles
NCSU - 7 miles
Ohio State - 9.2 miles
Iowa State - 45.2 miles
Cornell - 56.3 miles
Oklahoma State - 59.1 miles
Michigan State - 66.6 miles
Washington State - 74.1 miles
LMU - 75.1 miles
Texas A&M - 96.8 miles
Auburn - 105 miles
Tuskegee - 111 miles
KSU & Purdue - 128 miles
Mizzou - 136 miles
Illinois - 145 miles
Mississippi State - 159 miles
VMCVM - 189 miles

Just FYI: ISU is really difficult to switch to in-state tuition. If you've applied as OOS, you're basically going to stay OOS unless you marry an Iowan.
They actually told me that I will continue to have to pay OOS tuition even though I’m marrying an Iowan

• Wow
  • Sad
Dublin
Illinois
NCSU
Tuskegee
UTK
Wisconsin

Arizona
Bristol
Calgary
Cornell
CSU
UF
Glasgow
Guelph
KSU
ISU
LIU
Melbourne
Michigan State
Midwestern
Mississippi State
Mizzou
Murdoch
Ohio State
Purdue
RVC
Sydney
Tufts
WCVM/Saskatchewan
VMCVM

Texas A&M is waiving the GRE requirement this application cycle as well

Publix is proving to be harder than I thought (my fiance says I should just say Florida wins) so Trader Joe's is up next.
I don’t even know what publix is lol

Edit: looks like there aren’t any in Iowa or California so that explains it. Is it a east coast/southern thing?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Because I'm intrigued, on vacation, and bored, I present...
In order of closest to farthest. I could only do US schools. And this may be wrong...I just went with the first result Google Maps gave me when I searched [school name] vet med and cracker barrel.

UF - 3.0 miles
Mizzou - 3.2 miles
Illinois - 3.9 miles
Texas A&M - 5.3 miles
Midwestern - 5.3 miles
Purdue - 5.6 miles
Georgia - 6.8 miles
UTK - 6.9 miles
Wisconsin - 8.5 miles
NCSU - 8.5 miles
Ohio State - 10.0 miles
LSU - 10.1 miles
Virginia Tech - 10.4 miles
Arizona - 11.6 miles
Michigan State - 12.7 miles
Auburn - 14.2 miles
LMU - 14.4 miles
CSU - 16.0 miles
Penn - 18.1 miles
Kansas State - 19.4 miles
UC Davis - 23.7 miles
Tufts - 25.3 miles
Western - 25.4 miles
Minnesota - 26.4 miles
Mississippi State - 26.4 miles
Tuskegee - 27.9 miles
Cornell - 32.6 miles
Iowa State - 42.2 miles
Oklahoma State - 53.8 miles
LIU - 66.8 miles
Oregon State - 74.1 miles
Washington State - 88.9 miles

MSU has a Cracker Barrel a mere 5.2 miles away putting us very closely into the top 5. Who would have known that I'd pick such a highly ranked school by my own metric lmfao.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to these rankings, it has been more enjoyable to read that I had expected!

Also, if you ever happen to find yourself living in Lansing, **** Trader Joe's, **** Whole Foods. Shop at Horrocks Farm Market. It's a beautiful, eclectic, hodge-podge of a store that'll have everything you ever thought about wanting, and more. I'm glad I didn't get converted until 4th year or else I could have wound up with another 40k in loans, easily.

• Haha
The closest Publix to UF is in the same complex as the Target so TENNESSEE WINS (0.5 miles)
There is a smaller publix a block closer to the school than the bigger publix next to target you’re thinking of. It’s by the new Cheesecake Factory (and Whole Foods) but since CF was 2 miles I will admit UTK wins.

• Haha
Well ya can’t just do one for target without doing one for Walmart! I bet the ones at the bottom of the target list will be winners on the Walmart list.

Haha this might seriously deter some people from certain vet schools. I know so many people who love target who wouldn’t be caught dead in a Walmart. I live in the sticks, so even though I live in a liberal pansy state, I frequent Walmart often and its my current pharmacy of choice.

Oh, last date actually hit by a tornado/natural disaster might take more Intense research but be eye opening. I see “tornadoes” as a negative selection criteria on people’s lists here sometimes but they’re so rare overall I wonder what’s most common where.

Oh, last date actually hit by a tornado/natural disaster might take more Intense research but be eye opening. I see “tornadoes” as a negative selection criteria on people’s lists here sometimes but they’re so rare overall I wonder what’s most common where.
Subjective, too. Like we get "hit" by hurricanes yearly but even the ones that devastate the coast (see: Florence a year ago) and work their way inland don't usually do that much to NCSU main campus.

Is western hit by forest fires?