Hey everybody!! Just beginning to study for the DAT...Need some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEW UNIT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody!! Just beginning to study for the DAT...Need some advice. I'm taking the test in December/January...I just want to know how do I begin to approach studying for the DATs?

I've looked over some examples for the PAT section and it looks difficult as heck...I couldn't get the practice questions right...How do I approach studying for the PAT section? Are there books I can purchase to teach me how to solve those problems?

As for the rest of the sections for the exam, I have a Kaplan MCAT review book, DAT Destroyer, and CHADs videos...Is that a proper way to begin studying?

Members don't see this ad.

as far as PAT goes, people say either you have it or you don't. thats total crap. Some people are naturally good but with practice anybody can earn a respectable score. Barrons "how to prepare for the DAT" has an awesome introduction to the PAT section that should get you oriented with strategies on how to tackle this section (though be warned Barrons is a little skimpy on the sciences and contains a fair amount of typos/errors). From here out its just a matter of drilling and drilling. A lot of people on here recommend Crack the DAT PAT 10 test version b/c it gives you tons of practice and the sections seem to be fairly representative of DAT. also beware kaplan for this section as their stuff is said to be slightly easier than actual pat. good luck

Crack the DAT PAT is the best resource as far as the PAT section goes...overall, it gives you great practice for the real thing....and i was in the same position as you when i first started studying. I missed a lot of questions in the beginning but i later found out that if u just keep practicing, you'll see your score go up pretty quickly. I recommend you get the 10 test version just so you can get more practice in....for me, my first three practice PAT were 18/18/18 and the rest slowly went up and ranged btwn 20-23....and i ended up with a 22 on the real thing!

also, i recommend you get cliffs ap biology 3rd edition to study for the biology section...its only about $5-10 online and it gives a great overview of everything and its an easy read too. i thought it was pretty helpful

for gchem n ochem: chad + destroyer = golden

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, have another question...Are we allowed to use calculators and periodic tables on the test?

Also, have another question...Are we allowed to use calculators and periodic tables on the test?
periodic table is on the exam under exhibit.....i heard that the QR has a simple calculator embedded now but I didn't use it....get used to doing math fast by hand

No periodic table? That sux...Do they give you the information you need to know for the calculations or should I memorize everything on the periodic table? lol

I have not taken the test yet but my understanding is that during the general science section you DO get a periodic table.

make sure you understand all the concepts for the sciences before starting the Destroyer. It may be challenging if you don't have any prior knowledge of the subject. DO the questions in the destroyer very carefully by understanding the question even if you get them wrong.