Hey guys~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hatemeifucan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
i'm a junior in college majoring in physiology
my gpa right now is 3.9 overall and major 4.0
i have some volunteer experience, preceptor, tutor and worked at pharmacy over a year.
i'm taking my mcat on april and i was just woundering
what would be a competitive mcat score for me, if i wanted to get into
decent med. school. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As high as you can get. don't limit yourself :thumbup:

30+ will land you comfortably though.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need clinical and leadership experience too in order to be competitive. GPA and MCAT only get you in the door - they don't necessarily land interviews or acceptances.

hey guys
i'm a junior in college majoring in physiology
my gpa right now is 3.9 overall and major 4.0
i have some volunteer experience, preceptor, tutor and worked at pharmacy over a year.
i'm taking my mcat on april and i was just woundering
what would be a competitive mcat score for me, if i wanted to get into
decent med. school. Thanks

Not to discount everyone else's advice, but I don't think you need a 30 to be competitive. While that would be fantastic - heck I would have loved a 40 - realistically, with a GPA like yours and a decent background with some clinical experience, you should get interviews at decent schools if you score above a 25. And if you interview well, you will likely get a few acceptances.

Now of course, shoot for the stars and study your butt off. A higher score will definitely open up more options, but should you not hit that 30, you'll still get some interviews as long as your MCAT isn't totally pathetic.

Good luck! :D

Not to discount everyone else's advice, but I don't think you need a 30 to be competitive. While that would be fantastic - heck I would have loved a 40 - realistically, with a GPA like yours and a decent background with some clinical experience, you should get interviews at decent schools if you score above a 25. And if you interview well, you will likely get a few acceptances.

Now of course, shoot for the stars and study your butt off. A higher score will definitely open up more options, but should you not hit that 30, you'll still get some interviews as long as your MCAT isn't totally pathetic.

You should score 30+ to give credit to your GPA. If you score abysmally on the MCAT, then that discredits the academic rigor of your undergraduate education.

i disagree. especially if he wants to go MD. a 3.9 coupled with a 25 looks weird. as people said don't limit yourself. study as hard as you can. but you should ge at least 30+. good luk

I think what Catchburns was trying to say is that you always want to shoot for the high numbers when it comes to the MCAT, but if the OP doesn't quite get there, he/she will still have a good chance at receiving some interviews and even acceptances. Granted, I think a 25 is pretty low for MD programs, but if you interview really well, adcoms can look beyond it. It's not impossible to get in with a low MCAT when you have a great GPA to offset it. Plenty of people have done it, including myself. Best of luck, OP! :luck: