Hi....Do I have chance for dental school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've took DAT on sept but did bad so I just retook it today...

Undergraduate (Chem) gpa: 3.1
Masters (Biomedical): 3.54
DAT: Science 18, Acedemic 18

applied to NYU, Nova, USC, Boston, Tufts

Thank-you....

Members don't see this ad.

for this cycle?

Hey Kimda. Almost everything looks good except your DAT scores. Are those the scores after you retook it, because if it is...you have to change your strategy in studying for the DATs ASAP. To be a competitive applicant, 20+ is what most dental schools are looking for these days (QR at least 16+). I got interview invites at NYU and at Nova, so I know what kind of stats they are lookin for (I'm not bragging FYI).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank-you guys.....yes it is for 2009 cycle.....

Hate DAT.....T.T

Well, sounds like I got no chance due to my DAT score......
better re-take DAT on May or so and apply for 2010 cycle....

Good-luck guys~~

Hey Kimda. Almost everything looks good except your DAT scores. Are those the scores after you retook it, because if it is...you have to change your strategy in studying for the DATs ASAP. To be a competitive applicant, 20+ is what most dental schools are looking for these days (QR at least 16+). I got interview invites at NYU and at Nova, so I know what kind of stats they are lookin for (I'm not bragging FYI).

20 is what most schools are looking for, but unfortunately, there aren't enough applicants in the 90th percentile to fill up all the schools :p 19 is what most schools take, and since that's an average, that means they take 18's as well. I'd say you have a chance at the schools you listed, although I would have applied to more to be safer... but what's done is done.

20 is what most schools are looking for, but unfortunately, there aren't enough applicants in the 90th percentile to fill up all the schools :p 19 is what most schools take, and since that's an average, that means they take 18's as well. I'd say you have a chance at the schools you listed, although I would have applied to more to be safer... but what's done is done.

According to Wikipedia, "the mean academic average score for admissions is commonly 18." Is this data outdated? BTW, it's referenced from ^ "ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools". ADEA (2008). Retrieved on 2008-11-08.

the way that i have always looked at it is 18 is the average for people who take the DAT (50%ish), while 20+ is the expected range for accepted students (80%ish+). this isnt completely accurate, but is a good way of looking at it.

Well, according to the ADA website, the average AA and PAT are 17.60 and 17.19 respectively, and a 20 in these two sections is 86.4th and 88.5th percentile, respectively.

The 3.5 is nice, but your 3.1 isn't even close to the average for most schools. Even USC and NYU have around a 3.45 average gpa, and they're rising every year.

So, raising your gpa would help a lot as well.

The 3.5 is nice, but your 3.1 isn't even close to the average for most schools. Even USC and NYU have around a 3.45 average gpa, and they're rising every year.

So, raising your gpa would help a lot as well.

last year USC accepted a GPA range from 3.2 to 4.0

The lowest score a student got on an individual section of the DAT was a 15 (I forget their average).

I think OP's 3.5 masters makes up for the 3.1 undergrad. How's she gonna raise up her GPA again, get a PhD? :p

the way that i have always looked at it is 18 is the average for people who take the DAT (50%ish), while 20+ is the expected range for accepted students (80%ish+). this isnt completely accurate, but is a good way of looking at it.

On my test, my 18's were something like 77th percentile and my 20's were in the 90th percentile.

last year USC accepted a GPA range from 3.2 to 4.0

The lowest score a student got on an individual section of the DAT was a 15 (I forget their average).

I think OP's 3.5 masters makes up for the 3.1 undergrad. How's she gonna raise up her GPA again, get a PhD? :p

On my test, my 18's were something like 77th percentile and my 20's were in the 90th percentile.

OP could take a few classes at their local university while they wait for next cycle. The post-bacc classes would count for undergrad gpa.

....going back to local university and take more classes? wouldn't that make me look funny to admission?? after having masters and going back to post bach?? hmmm......
I hope my master's help make up the undergraduate gpa.
I have cumulative gpa 3.3......hope that is enough....
Oh well, ...........thank you for your advices...^^

I think you will be fine, if you read most of the scores on here there are only a few who have higher scores on the DAT, and I think most people lie on here to make themselves look better. Realistically if you have a 19 on the DAT you will get around 6 interviews. You will be fine, if you don't get in this year reapply next year early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your kind advice theskibumjohnso ~~
You cheer me up......^^
All I can say is that DAT sucks....and don't want to take it again....
Well, good luck to all of bright future doctors...~~

I think you have a good chance... Every dental school doesnt look for the highest GPA and DAT scores, but they do admire them. Besides, the ADA gives averages, and that means there is a low and high scale to consider. Keep your head up and dont give up.:)

Realistically if you have a 19 on the DAT you will get around 6 interviews.

Is that realistic? :confused:

We want to support the OP, but we don't want to give people false hope..

That's a very vague statement that has little support to back it up, nor did you specificy details. Around 6 interviews with a 19 DAT and 4.0 GPA? Around 6 interviews after applying to 55 schools? Around 6 interviews applying to 10-15 schools with a sub-par GPA? :confused:

If a 19 DAT guaranteed you around 6 interviews, we would be living in a utopia. :cool:

OP, retake with a 20+ DAT and you'll recieve some interviews for sure next cycle (though probably not 6, sorry). Good luck.

With a 19 you'll get 6 interviews from your six in-state schools... oh wait, what state are you living in? A 19 will get you your in-state interview, and maybe one other if you're lucky, but with that GPA I don't know.

To be competitive out-of-state you need 21+. Even with my scores I didn't get any out-of-state interviews besides Indiana. I don't think a 3.5 and 18/18 will cut it much further than your state school these days.

I have to say, you are going against the odds.. People with 3.1 gpa and 18 dat are RARE on predents. If you really have a spectacular personal statement and a sleu of great stuff on your ecs maybe, but I'd study real hard on the DAT and get a 20+ to ensure at least a school.

Oh...forgot to mension that along with 18's on Total Science and Academic..
I got 22 on PAT.....

Does schools look at PAT same level as TS or AV???

Oh...forgot to mension that along with 18's on Total Science and Academic..
I got 22 on PAT.....

Does schools look at PAT same level as TS or AV???

Nope. not even close.

With a 19 you'll get 6 interviews from your six in-state schools... oh wait, what state are you living in? A 19 will get you your in-state interview, and maybe one other if you're lucky, but with that GPA I don't know.

To be competitive out-of-state you need 21+. Even with my scores I didn't get any out-of-state interviews besides Indiana. I don't think a 3.5 and 18/18 will cut it much further than your state school these days.

Umm.. I have a 18/19 3.3/3.18 from California and I got three interviews, none of which were my "state" schools (unless you count USC :p). You people and your "OMGBBQ GET TWNTEEZ+" are over the top. My non-competitive scores were good enough to get into two schools. 21+ with 3.6+ is to be competitive for EVERY dental school. OP's scores are competitive for DENTAL SCHOOL.

OP what else do you have going on? Start a club or do a lot of volunteering? any work experience that show how responsible you are to the admissions commitee? This process isnt always completely about the numbers.

And in your case I think you should apply to 15+ schools. Hell alot of people apply to that many with a 3.5 and 20. This process is finicky, and you may be surprised at who offers you an interview and who doesnt. Good luck.

Umm.. I have a 18/19 3.3/3.18 from California and I got three interviews, none of which were my "state" schools (unless you count USC :p). You people and your "OMGBBQ GET TWNTEEZ+" are over the top. My non-competitive scores were good enough to get into two schools. 21+ with 3.6+ is to be competitive for EVERY dental school. OP's scores are competitive for DENTAL SCHOOL.

Ranelar, congrats on your success, though those results are far from typical.

For whatever reason, schools view a UCLA degree extremely favorably, despite GPA sometimes. I know at my state school UIC, they take several people from UCLA every year, even though they hardly take anyone from out-of-state. Your UCLA degree might have something to do with your success, though I'm sure you have outstanding EC's to back it up as well Ranelar.

Can I ask you what dental schools accepted you? Also, how is your ECs?

I've took DAT on sept but did bad so I just retook it today...

Undergraduate (Chem) gpa: 3.1
Masters (Biomedical): 3.54
DAT: Science 18, Acedemic 18

applied to NYU, Nova, USC, Boston, Tufts

Thank-you....

Don't make some of these posters make you feel like you don't have a chance. You have a strong masters GPA at 3.54 and a strong DAT. As you can see, I'm in dental school. I scored 18 AA with a 21 PAT, interviewed at half the schools I applied to (4 interviews) and was accepted at 3 of those schools, including my first choice. Keep your head up and nail your interviews.

Many of us have our info posted on predents.com, and we have the link under our name on the left side of the screen (ie mine is PreDents: Profile 5680).

Oh, I checked it this morning. Actually, I do not trust some students' profiles because of their lies. Thanks again.
Congrats on your acceptance!

Don't make some of these posters make you feel like you don't have a chance. You have a strong masters GPA at 3.54 and a strong DAT. As you can see, I'm in dental school. I scored 18 AA with a 21 PAT, interviewed at half the schools I applied to (4 interviews) and was accepted at 3 of those schools, including my first choice. Keep your head up and nail your interviews.

Thank-you....Devin.....you inspire me ^^v
Hope I can get in to dental school and inspire students who are in situation....Good luck with journey of becoming dentist......I envy u~~

Is that realistic? :confused:

We want to support the OP, but we don't want to give people false hope..

That's a very vague statement that has little support to back it up, nor did you specificy details. Around 6 interviews with a 19 DAT and 4.0 GPA? Around 6 interviews after applying to 55 schools? Around 6 interviews applying to 10-15 schools with a sub-par GPA? :confused:

If a 19 DAT guaranteed you around 6 interviews, we would be living in a utopia. :cool:

OP, retake with a 20+ DAT and you'll recieve some interviews for sure next cycle (though probably not 6, sorry). Good luck.

I know plenty of people with 19 on the DAT and a 3.5 GPA who had 9 interviews and got into 4 schools. a few acceptances on Dec 1st and a few later.

schools look at whole package not just DAT.