FungManX

The Cure.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this forum.. Don't want to bore you guys with introductions so I'll start right away.

I've done some previous research on SGU and SMU and but still have soem questions:
1) I'm wondering if you guys have links to where their matched students
end up for residency (location) and what they are doing

2) How long do you need to stay on the island for... ? I saw somewhere else
that its only two years, then the 3rd and 4th years (aka clinical years) are
done in the states

3) Are all the grads from these universities certified in EVERY state (mainly
california and washington)

4) And I also noticed a couple threads on here about Book Quality and not
having enough books to go among the students, is it true? if so, how bad
is it at the university?

Please list all the negatives you find about attending a Carib school ..
I already know the positives, and that is we will all finally end up as physicians :thumbup: .. just don't want to go through a long education and end up not getting a residency in north america :p

IMbound

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
1) I'm wondering if you guys have links to where their matched students
end up for residency (location) and what they are doing

Click on this link, it will take you to SGU stats:
http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/home/GraduateStudentSuccess.htm

2) How long do you need to stay on the island for... ? I saw somewhere else
that its only two years, then the 3rd and 4th years (aka clinical years) are
done in the states

You will be on the island for 2 years and your 3,4th year clinicals will be in the US at clinicals centers in NY, NJ, Mich, or Cali.

3) Are all the grads from these universities certified in EVERY state (mainly
california and washington)

I believe that there are SGU grads certified in every state. Texas and Cali are more difficult but not impossible.

4) And I also noticed a couple threads on here about Book Quality and not
having enough books to go among the students, is it true? if so, how bad
is it at the university?

I never had a problem with getting books. At SGU, for the first term you are automatically charged for books and you pick them up once you get to the island. After that, you can choose to buy them on your own or get charged for them. I remember, for my second term, I did not buy them in the US as I thought I would (they were going to be too heavy to bring). So I came to the island with no books a few days before the term started. I was able to buy the books anyway. They ordered enough extra. Not really something to worry about.

Positives--May be the only way some can attain an MD. Great education on the island and strong clinicals at hospitals in the US. Good residency placement.

Negatives--You should keep trying for a US school if you are absolutely set on the following residencies: Optho, Ortho, Derm, Uro, ENT, Plastics, Rads, Rad Onc. We have placed in all of those residencies in the past but it is very, very difficult and you'd do better to try for a US school. If you are ok with IM, Peds, FP, Psych, Anest, ER, you will still have a great chance at SGU.

OP
F

FungManX

The Cure.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Pharmacy Student
Thanks IMbound!

Any SMU'ers out there?

Btw, I personally don't think you'd be disadvantaged to attend a Carib school to get into a competitive residency. If you look at the stats for other schools and their students getting into stuff like Optho or Derms, the number from each school isn't That high either

IMbound

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
FungManX said:
Thanks IMbound!

Any SMU'ers out there?

Btw, I personally don't think you'd be disadvantaged to attend a Carib school to get into a competitive residency. If you look at the stats for other schools and their students getting into stuff like Optho or Derms, the number from each school isn't That high either
I totally agree that the no. matching at highly competitive residencies is very low but it is even lower from Caribbean Schools. I am not saying that it can't be done but I know people with >250/260 on step 1 and 2 and not matching in Uro or other competitive programs. If you have those scores, you have a much better chance matching from a US school. Just something to keep in mind.