High DAT low gpa. Help!! What should i do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DefyingAlloDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all SDN members,

I am new to this website and am very excited to receive responses and make use of everyone's knowledge. My school stats are very weak, sadly, but I hope to bring them up. I am a senior Biology major at a private university in Los Angeles. My gpa is very low at a cumulative 2.5 gpa and I have a year with 35 units left. I've had issues with motivation and setting a goal for myself the past couple years, however I have resolved that and I'm definitely aiming to be a dentist. I hope to be applying out for the 2012-2013 cycle. Even though I do have a very low gpa, I recently took the DAT, and believe my score is somewhat high in comparison to my gpa level.

PAT: 25
QR: 29
RC: 21
BIO: 23
GC: 28
OC: 27
TS: 26
AA: 25

For extracurricular activities, I have shadowed a Dentist for 90 hours, an Orthodontist for 150 hours and I am currently shadowing an Implant Surgeon, which I have accumulated over 200 hours so far. Aslo, I used to volunteer in the UCLA recovery room for 2 summers in a row. I have become very interested in the field of Dentistry because of shadowing hours and I have found them to be very useful. If anyone can please lend me some advice on what to do in this next year before I do apply out. My chances at this point in time? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all SDN members,

I am new to this website and am very excited to receive responses and make use of everyone's knowledge. My school stats are very weak, sadly, but I hope to bring them up. I am a senior Biology major at a private university in Los Angeles. My gpa is very low at a cumulative 2.5 gpa and I have a year with 35 units left. I've had issues with motivation and setting a goal for myself the past couple years, however I have resolved that and I'm definitely aiming to be a dentist. I hope to be applying out for the 2012-2013 cycle. Even though I do have a very low gpa, I recently took the DAT, and believe my score is somewhat high in comparison to my gpa level.

For extracurricular activities, I have shadowed a Dentist for 90 hours, an Orthodontist for 150 hours and I am currently shadowing an Implant Surgeon, which I have accumulated over 200 hours so far. Aslo, I used to volunteer in the UCLA recovery room for 2 summers in a row. I have become very interested in the field of Dentistry because of shadowing hours and I have found them to be very useful. If anyone can please lend me some advice on what to do in this next year before I do apply out. My chances at this point in time? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time!!!!

Ah man a 25 DAT is extreme. thats like top 95th percentile or something?? Great job! Unfortunately your gpa is low...what is your science GPA? and BCP? Some schools have cutoffs for gpa's and might not even get to see your application. With that DAT you are guranteed to get an interview somewhere so long as you get your gpa up to or above a 3.0. If you are applying this cycle stick to schools that focus on DAT. Even then its going to be a battle with that GPA. The good news is there is such thing as a post bacc. Also, once you get an interview, schools may question why you're shadowing specialty dentists more than Gen. Dentist. This wont hold you from an acceptance, but schools would rather see a gen. dentist on your shadowing list.

Good luck, your in a better situation than a lot of others with that DAT.

Ah man a 25 DAT is extreme. thats like top 95th percentile or something?? Great job! Unfortunately your gpa is low...what is your science GPA? and BCP? Some schools have cutoffs for gpa's and might not even get to see your application. With that DAT you are guranteed to get an interview somewhere so long as you get your gpa up to or above a 3.0. If you are applying this cycle stick to schools that focus on DAT. Even then its going to be a battle with that GPA. The good news is there is such thing as a post bacc. Also, once you get an interview, schools may question why you're shadowing specialty dentists more than Gen. Dentist. This wont hold you from an acceptance, but schools would rather see a gen. dentist on your shadowing list.

Good luck, your in a better situation than a lot of others with that DAT.

more like 99.9th percentile... just saying. I'm not sure what to make of the scenario though... obviously he is smart, maybe just lazy?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do a post-bacc, a 2.5 is very tough to get an acceptance with.

I would do a post-bacc, a 2.5 is very tough to get an acceptance with.

It's below some school cutoffs like midwestern. Maybe he'd be okay at some schools if his sci/bcp GPA was solid....

I would STOP shadowing since you have plenty of hours (or cut down significantly) AND get A's in the remaining 35 credits. If you can drag those required 35 credits out and add in some filler courses to boost your GPA.

i would stop shadowing since you have plenty of hours (or cut down significantly) and get a's in the remaining 35 credits. If you can drag those required 35 credits out and add in some filler courses to boost your gpa.

+1

An implant surgeon, what the **&#$&$*?! :laugh:

But yes... 4.0 the rest of the year. Although it would probably be more advantageous to delay graduation and 4.0 an extra semester or two in order for you to be a more competitive applicant.

An implant surgeon, what the **&#$&$*?! :laugh:

But yes... 4.0 the rest of the year. Although it would probably be more advantageous to delay graduation and 4.0 an extra semester or two in order for you to be a more competitive applicant.

Maybe he didn't mean implant surgeon, but oral surgeons are required to create surgical flaps if necessary or graft bone.

Regardless, that is such a low gpa even with that DAT score. Try to get it as high as possible. Don't talk about post bacc or masters unless you can't creep that over a 3.0

Maybe he didn't mean implant surgeon, but oral surgeons are required to create surgical flaps if necessary or graft bone.

Regardless, that is such a low gpa even with that DAT score. Try to get it as high as possible. Don't talk about post bacc or masters unless you can't creep that over a 3.0

My periodontist does all of the above.

To reiterate, delay graduation for a year and 4.0 that sucker for 2 years.

Amazing scores! Like others have stated above, your only focus in life now should be to get that sGPA and oGPA atleast to a 3.0 and you will have great chance at landing interviews. Almost all schools have automatic GPA and DAT cutoffs, so the computer will discard your application because of your 2.5 gpa before any humans have a chance to see it.

You need to get to this 3.0 mark ASAP because DAT scores last 2 or 3 years (I forgot) . I would not do a masters, I would keep taking as many classes at your undergrad as possible (even after your graduate, thus you will be classified as a post-bacc). You need to get that undergrad GPA up. Doing a masters does not change your undergrad GPA. Doing a post-bacc does count toward your undergrad GPA.

Forget the volunteering, forget the part time job, forget the partying, forget any other extra curricular activities that keep you away from your books. Scores like that are not easily replicated, seize this second chance on life.

Best advice...... Stop using SDN to get answers for such important questions. Remember, no one here is on an admissions board or even works for an admissions office. Your best bet is to call the schools you are interested in and ask questions of someone in their admissions office directly.

However, make sure not to misrepresent yourself.... if those are not your real scores or they are scores from some kind of Kaplan practice test (which is WAY easier than a normal DAT) then you better not call.

Otherwise try very hard to raise the GPA...

Members don't see this ad :)
Having an overabundance of shadowing hours with an Orthodontist is a clear red flag. It implies you want to enter dentistry and become an ortho for the big $$$$$.

Best advice...... Stop using SDN to get answers for such important questions. Remember, no one here is on an admissions board or even works for an admissions office. Your best bet is to call the schools you are interested in and ask questions of someone in their admissions office directly.

Not such credible advice either since schools will encourage you to apply so they can collect your app fees and pad their stats.

LOL @ IMPLANT SURGEON.

Come on, if you're gonna make stuff up, do some research on the names of the different dental specialities.

Thank you for the help, I do realize I need to mainly focus on my gpa. In regards to questions about me saying Implant surgeon, I'm sorry if I offended you but that is the short way I say that I shadow a Dentist who specializes in Advanced Dental Implant Therapy. Sorry!! If there is any more advice anyone has, I do greatly appreciate it. Thank you for all the help again.

And also sorry I forgot to ask this, what is the minimum gpa cutoff for dental schools? Thanks!!

Okay, I rarely do this and I apologize, but really???

You're asking for minimum scores for D-school? How bout you do a search for that answer either in the little search bar up on the top right of this page or, go to Google and search for it there?

Every question you have posted has been asked before.

ESPECIALLY this one.

Its like asking, "what is the minimum DAT score for schools?"

Or better, "what is the AADSAS application..."

If you are serious about D-school, use some initiative and research!

What the heck..

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527700
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=810649
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=650441

In view of your DAT scores your gpa may or may not be an impediment, since you are likely to be one of only 10 applicants with similar DAT results. If your rebirth on school attitude translates into significant grade changes you should have a pretty good argument in your favor. As has already been suggested, your best bet is to contact the schools in question for advice, but you may want to wait until you have your modified transcript in the bag.

Sorry Seairland, everyone just seems to write opposing answers and I couldn't find something finite. I do apologize. Thank you doc toothache, you were of great help!!!

No, I'm sorry. I realize that the whole process can and is at times over whelming.

The reality of the matter is that each school has their requirements and a good ranking of the schools based on gpa and dat scores would probably steer you in the right direction.

No, I'm sorry. I realize that the whole process can and is at times over whelming.

The reality of the matter is that each school has their requirements and a good ranking of the schools based on gpa and dat scores would probably steer you in the right direction.

The easiest thing to do is just buy that damn ADEA book. It was the best 35 bucks that I've spent on this application cycle.

The easiest thing to do is just buy that damn ADEA book. It was the best 35 bucks that I've spent on this application cycle.

My SDN post count would probably be 5 if everyone bought that ADEA handbook.

Hi all SDN members,

your highest priority should be to get that GPA up. If it is an option, try retaking classes in which you got a D or F. Aim for a 3.0-3.5 overall GPA if possible! Or 1-2 years of post-bac, but that's a lot tougher than retaking a few courses!

Amazing job on the DAT!! Congrats! I would ace the rest of your credits. The schools with gpa cut offs will hurt you unless you get it up and show an upward trend. You clearly have the potential to do well; since you rocked that DAT! Gluck!

Hi everyone,

I very much appreciate all the help offered here by everyone, it is extremely useful. I am updating my post from approximately 7 months ago. I previously stated my statistics, high DAT (AA: 25...TS: 26...PAT: 25) however my cum GPA was a 2.53. If these last few weeks go accordingly, with the last two semesters combined (having a couple classes being retakes) I am looking at hopefully raising my cGPA to a 2.95ish and sciGPA to a 2.838ish. I took a combined 40 units total in my Fall 2011 (20 units) and Spring 2012 (20 units) semesters. In Fall 2011, I completed 10 upper division biology units (3 lectures and 1 lab) and Physics 2 with a lab, and for Spring 2012 I am currently finishing 14 upper division biology units (3 lectures, 3 labs and research). I basically took nearly all of my upper division biology units this past year. There is an unsual trend in my stats because in my freshman first semester I finished with a 2.3 and the following semester I got a 3.66. After my first year, my gpa went very much downhill and fluctuated slightly up and down at a low gpa throughout several semesters. This simply occurred because I legitimately attended about 5 class days per course (approx. 45 class days/semester in each course) through several semesters. I rarely did any work and was dealing with family illnesses and concerns, but I mainly attribute my dreadful collapse to my severe lack of motivation. Thankfully, a year ago I began to prioritize my life and now will hopefully receive a cumulative 3.7ish gpa in these past two semesters. So the trend has ultimately finished in an upward direction because I completed a high number of units in one year resulting in a good gpa as well (sorrrry for all this blabber haha, but im trying to present my situation as clear as I can).
I will be graduating in a few weeks. Im assuming I will finish with a cGPA of 2.95ish sciGPA-2.8ish (having many very low points in my grades throughout my academic career). I do have lots of shadowing hours accumulated but nothing in relation with my specific school (clubs, orgs, etc.). I feel that by looking at my DAT and gpa, I may have a chance of receiving a couple interviews due to wonder, but I feel when they look at my grades in detail, it will hurt a great deal because of how poorly I did continuously for a few semesters. If anyone has any thoughts/ideas or simply there take on how to go about the situation, I am seeking advice on where to go from here. Should I apply out this cycle? or do a post-bacc? masters? Thanks so much for reading this and helping out, it all helps a ton. Thank you again

Call your top choice schools and speak with an admissions counselor. They will give you the best individual advice for that school. Don't think one conversation is law for all schools. Call every school you can.

IMHO, you should apply. Depending on the rest of your app, you have a shot at a few schools. Target new D-schools and others with lower GPA/high DAT combos. Do you have anything lined up for this fall? If you don't get into D-school, your grades will obviously be the reason - so something focusing on that should be your backup to boost your app for the following cycle. There's a lot of variables, your DAT and recent grades are rock solid, but depending on your PS, LOR's, and other leadership activities will come into play as well.

i'd call up each school and ask them if they have an automatic gpa cutoff

then segway the convo to bring up your awesome dats

the other person on the phone might have the authority to make you an exception

do stay motivated for 1 semester at least to show them you won't be that lazy in dental school too edit: i see your update addresses this

gl

Consider applying to some of those big private schools that have higher DAT scores relative to the GPA's of the matriculants. Some might be USC, BU, Temple etc... State schools I've noticed, seem to have a slightly lower DAT (19/20) and higher GPA. Best of luck regardless, I think you'll be okay! :thumbup: